Thai Airways, Worst Airline In Thailand

PostmanPat

If talkng about Thai airways, My experience is totally positive, OH , I am travelling with them for 25 years and I always find them pleasant, co-operative and understanding.

Do you mostly fly economy or business?
Depending on occasions, First, Business as well as Economy, I have travelled on a "Jump Seat" once, what is your curiousity?
Because I have found the service in economy to be excellent and far far better than often rude business class service (this as been my experience)
True

If talkng about Thai airways, My experience is totally positive, OH , I am travelling with them for 25 years and I always find them pleasant, co-operative and understanding.
Depending on occasions, First, Business as well as Economy, I have travelled on a "Jump Seat" once, what is your curiousity?

Because I have found the service in economy to be excellent and far far better than often rude business class service (this as been my experience)

Then why not stick to economy and save the dough?

As I said in my previous post, it depends

It's a company paying not me.

Because then he'd have to sit in economy. You don't fly business just for the service.

Oh and the seats are 90's style cradle....hahahaha

I can live with the sloping flat seats if it means keeping the price down. I was very disappointed when EVA ditched them and put up their prices. Happily, I got a mixed business/PE ticket for January for £1400 on EVA. If Thai did PE I would consider them for a good price.

I'm flying Royal Jordanian biz class on the new dreamliner next month for £1300.

I would rather pay a bit more and not have to kill time in some airport in the middle of the night.

Yes that is the rub this time....a seven hour layover....but I find the break and chance to walk around quite pleasant.

Just a shame its not Changi airport.

• Like 1

Nope, that is rather presumptuous an silly.

If you want a full list of airlines I've flown since I've started flying way back in the 1970s until now, here goes;

Thai Airwways

Singapore Airlines

Cathay Pacific

Philippines Airlines

China Airlines

Qatar Airways

Emirates

Virgin Atlantic
British Airways

Olympic Airways

Iberia

Aeroflot

Lufthansa

SAS

KLM Royal Dutch

Air Canada

United Airlines

American Airlines

Northwest Airlines

Delta Airlines

Pan Am

TWA

BOAC

Cubana

AeroMexico

Mexicana

Southwest

Frontier

Virgin America

Aloha

Hawaiian

Island Air

Alaska Airlines

Horizon Air

JetBlue

Midwest Express

Continental

North Central

Eastern

BWIA

ANA

JAL

Regent Airways

Nok Air

Bangkok Airways

Orient Thai

Air Asia

PSA

Air Cal

Western

People's Express

US Airways

Cambodian Angkor Air

Lao Air

That said, Thai is still my favorite. Are they perfect? No, but I've never understood any of the gripes people at this site have with Thai Airways. I found Air Asia to be the worst but they do have good marketing. When it comes to local discount carriers, I prefer Nok Air.

I fly Thai six times a year Bangkok to Delhi and I think it's okay.

While it is not the greatest, I have certainly had worse service.

Incidentally, I'm not clear how an aisle seat more leg room, I generally find the opposite true, particularly if the aircraft is equipped with individual entertainment.

It has also been my experience that nice people are generally treated nicely.

Just sayin'

I don't know about domestic travel but internationally there are many worse airlines. My worst ever flights have been with Qantas & British Airways. Thai offer direct flights on some routes I use where others don't. Food & service on planes always fine. No complaints internationally.

Me always coach and never any problems on Thai. Good food & mostly suitably responsive staff. Much worse on several other airlines. I even had 4 perfect long flights on Korean & was expecting some problems or negatives

its the only direct flight to bkk from per, so i prefer to fly with them. I flew economy to bkk 6hrs 45min every two weeks for a year never any issue. Maybe its just because i also fly regularly domestic in australia with qantas and they have the worst service ive ever known.

My only problem with thai is that i cant see what exactly the point of their frequent flyer program is, and why its so expensive to get those points. I book online and never bother with the points option.

Although these days i fly virgin australia and singapore airlines better for points and its decent service.

Me always coach and never any problems on Thai.

Thai economy is definitely better than Qantas/BA.. At least in terms of available space.

Edited by tw25rw

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, I'm not clear how an aisle seat more leg room, I generally find the opposite true, particularly if the aircraft is equipped with individual entertainment.

Just sayin'

I don't know about domestic travel but internationally there are many worse airlines. My worst ever flights have been with Qantas & British Airways. Thai offer direct flights on some routes I use where others don't. Food & service on planes always fine. No complaints internationally.

I think sometimes it comes down to personal experience and if you've had a real horror of an experience with an airlines then you'll never go with them again. Personally for me, BA fir that bill. Had a truly awful experience with them and it was all their own fault, so they couldn't even blame it on adverse weather conditions or random mechanical failure. The experience left such a bad mark on me that even if they were cheaper than Ryan Air or Air Asia I would never go with them.

Not flown with Thai for quite a few years so it will be interesting to see what the difference is. Last time they had one screen at the front with a couple of disney films for the whole 13 hr flight. Personal tvs are a must for me so I always avoided them ever since and went with Eva for direct flights from LHR or Emirates & Etihad indirect all of whom I've never had any grumbles with.

Will report back on Thai 2014 in Jan! Wish me luck..... ;-)

I am writing this from the Thai Air silk lounge at gate D in Swampy. The lounge sucks big time, the only food here are crappy dry white bread sandwiches, hot dog style sausages and dried up curry puff things - horrible. The one bar is 200 m away at the bottom of the lounge not near the (so called) food and the staff are miserable <deleted>.

This is my first and last time in this lounge I hope - a 711 serves better food - pathetic.

If one is accustomed to using airlines in the US, Thai air would seem ok, as the bar is set so low. But, here in Asia, the service is so much better. Why use a mediocre airline like Thai, when they are rarely competitive, and offer poor service. Management there needs a swift kick in the butt.

I am writing this from the Thai Air silk lounge at gate D in Swampy. The lounge sucks big time, the only food here are crappy dry white bread sandwiches, hot dog style sausages and dried up curry puff things - horrible. The one bar is 200 m away at the bottom of the lounge not near the (so called) food and the staff are miserable <deleted>.

This is my first and last time in this lounge I hope - a 711 serves better food - pathetic.

Seems every time I go the they always have fresh fruit , soup, salad, dim-sum and an assortment of breads and cereals along with the items you described. The staff always seems nice too.

I flew them twice, once on a connecting flight to and from Taiwan to Bangkok, and again once internally in Thailand. I am neutral on the connecting flight. It wasn't overwhelming and the food was poor. I get better meals on EVA. On the internal flights, I thought Bangkok Air was much better. Maybe I just caught good days, but the little meal snack was pretty good and fresh. The steward and stewardess were very smiling.

Just sayin'

I think sometimes it comes down to personal experience and if you've had a real horror of an experience with an airlines then you'll never go with them again. Personally for me, BA fir that bill. Had a truly awful experience with them and it was all their own fault, so they couldn't even blame it on adverse weather conditions or random mechanical failure. The experience left such a bad mark on me that even if they were cheaper than Ryan Air or Air Asia I would never go with them.

Not flown with Thai for quite a few years so it will be interesting to see what the difference is. Last time they had one screen at the front with a couple of disney films for the whole 13 hr flight. Personal tvs are a must for me so I always avoided them ever since and went with Eva for direct flights from LHR or Emirates & Etihad indirect all of whom I've never had any grumbles with.

Will report back on Thai 2014 in Jan! Wish me luck..... ;-)

So you will be flying "Air Timemachine"

I disagree, I recently flew qantas SYD-BKK return, although cheap $740 aus & a direct flight, there food & service was very ordinary, 1.5 hrs late, food was dismal, I'de rather thai anyday, lets hope there still puting the 2 latest A380's on the SYD=BKK run, = plenty of cheap seats.

cheers S.S.coffee1.gif

It doesn't get any better out at the C and E Royal Silk lounges. Not only are they overcrowded and serve the same miserable food, which never changes, but they do not even serve wine at those lounges. Thinking of a gin and tonic? Well, be aware that TG serve the cheapest possible Gilbey's gin, made in the Philippines. The best mix for this stuff is at the bottom of your kitchen drain.

Assuming you were in business class, by now you have experienced the in-flight "cuisine", which is definitely the worst of any Star Alliance airlines. Compared to the oily, tasteless version they serve onboard, I can get far better pad krapow for 30 baht at my local street vendor.

By the way, if you have a Star Alliance Gold card (or above), you can opt for the Singapore Airlines or EVA lounges instead of TG. Both have far better food and beverage offerings. That said, no other lounge is close to the variety and quality of food and drink served by Emirates at BKK.

It doesn't get any better out at the C and E Royal Silk lounges. Not only are they overcrowded and serve the same miserable food, which never changes, but they do not even serve wine at those lounges. Thinking of a gin and tonic? Well, be aware that TG serve the cheapest possible Gilbey's gin, made in the Philippines. The best mix for this stuff is at the bottom of your kitchen drain.

Assuming you were in business class, by now you have experienced the in-flight "cuisine", which is definitely the worst of any Star Alliance airlines. Compared to the oily, tasteless version they serve onboard, I can get far better pad krapow for 30 baht at my local street vendor.

By the way, if you have a Star Alliance Gold card (or above), you can opt for the Singapore Airlines or EVA lounges instead of TG. Both have far better food and beverage offerings. That said, no other lounge is close to the variety and quality of food and drink served by Emirates at BKK.

When in the lounge the other night they started to clear up and before I left most of the sub-711 quality food was gone and there were soft drinks, beer and crisps left. Staff were pretty miserable but it was about 1am.

I was really surprised by the lounge it was so poor and I expected it to be decent. I was flying Business with Qatar who use this lounge but I will go back to Emirates I think no comparison. Pretty sad that a Country who promote themselves as a tourist destination and have pride in their local cuisine has a national carrier who have lounges and staff like this.... on well, lesson learnt.

For what it's worth: we will never ever fly with Thai Airways or Thai Smile again. The check-in staff at Suvarnabuhmi is very unpleasant, make a lot of mistakes, blame the customer for those mistakes and have no sense of customer service. Sending an email to Thai Airways, be it a simple question or complaint, gives zero response. If there's no other domestic flight available, I prefer driving,