Buying a bar? I just don't get it. How can you sell wot don't belong to you?

johnnybgood

As an example, the much published Mobi-Bar[aka The Terrace] on Siam CC road has been sold for the umteenth time. ......Some say 1 mill baht !!smile.png

The buyer still has to pay rent to the Thai owner.

The buyer still has to pay for the inevitable facelift to the Thai tradesmen.

The buyer still has to pay tax +licences to the Thai Government and Thai police.

The buyer has to payetc etc.........

I mean I can rent a car, why can't I sell it on to some one. They can drive it and pay the rental...........

Or I can rent gogo girl, same thing.... why can't I sell her? The 3rd party can take care of her expenses.*

I can't understand it. Maybe I'm thick? What does the new bar buying foreigner get?

*(levity)

post-63151-0-46466200-1416543397_thumb.jpost-63151-0-46466200-1416543397_thumb.j

A new "owner" takes over a lease, compensates for any original or new "tea" money and buys any goodwill value, stock and maybe fittings not belonging to the actual owner.

And your quoted price for Mobi's bar is way outside the reality of that "sale".

Rent a girl from a gogo bar...why can't you sell her, have you tried? Try it, I'm sure if you choose a nice girl you will find a ready buyer to pay you to take her off your hands for the night.

Rent a condo...at a good rent and require a fee for another renter to move in and take over the contract....why not? It's called novation.

Etc etc...

Rent a girl from a gogo bar...why can't you sell her, have you tried? Try it, I'm sure if you choose a nice girl you will find a ready buyer to pay you to take her off your hands for the night.

Rent a condo...at a good rent and require a fee for another renter to move in and take over the contract....why not? It's called novation.

Etc etc...

Thanks, good post

Novation is good when you have something tangible, rule of law and a monopolistic licencing environment...... etc

ok smile.png

PeterC, if you take over the lease does that mean no rent is paid monthly.......... ever?

Still a lot of cash for a pool table and a big TV.

Not at all, a lease agreement would have monthly rents applicable but payments will pass to the new lease holder.

Etc etc...

It is not called novation. It is called illegal.

I guess the renovation was for free? Btw. its not easy to find a empty Shophouse in a good Soi with a lot of possible Customers. If you do this, you have to calculate in the time of the renovation (you pay rent, but you generate no money out of the Bar), build up of the customer base and good Staff. But what do I know, I have no intention to have a Bar anyway.

Etc etc...

It is not called novation. It is called illegal.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's called novation....a legal term for a legal activity....

Mate of mine on his second Pattaya bar in about 20 years. The first one was a foot in the door to the business and was sold on at a small profit. The second bar he acquired was already a good going concern and ended up as a cash cow. It is a passive money maker these days as the property it sits in is worth millions. Mind you, him and his business partner were savvy enough to buy the whole shophouse when the going was good and prices weren't silly.

The property is now the gold mine whereas the bar has been well milked and is mostly now just for amusement, meeting his mates and preventing boredom.

The bars you see flipping regularly on Walking Street, Soi 6 and elsewhere are probably money laundering ventures more than bad business planning. The open air beer bar 'malls' are for low-end local money laundering and lubbed up foreigners with more money than sense but in reality, very little of both.

• Like 2

The New owner get nothing more than a venue that he need to pay for,

Some old furniture, maybe a good pool table and a T.V.

Go there on evening time and look what the bars have on customers.

New contract with the owner that means pay the deposit and the key money and its give the owner

the possibility to ask more rent.

Most of the staff will leave??

You don`t get customers because the only came for the old bar not for you.

First 6 months you don`t make money only wen you are lucky you survive.

Good luck on that location

ok smile.png

PeterC, if you take over the lease does that mean no rent is paid monthly.......... ever?

Are you serious?

No not really, just passing a quiet day.........

I'm just trying to find out what the buyer is paying for. All I see is foreigners handing over money to Thais......

Likesay before...am I thick?

• Like 2

ok smile.png

Not at all, a lease agreement would have monthly rents applicable but payments will pass to the new lease holder.

In some cases the rent/lease is paid up for the year. Here in Surin many leases call for an annual payment up front for the full year's rent.