Can your Home Country learn anything from Thailand?

NoshowJones

Immigrants should not be allowed to work at jobs which can be done by locals. isn't that what Work permits are for?

Immigrants should have to prove they can keep themselves financially secure.isn't that what the proof of pensions are for ?? i.e who else is going to provide for them???

• Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:49, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:49, said:
MediaWatcher, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:40, said:MediaWatcher, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:40, said:
possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:

MediaWatcher. Yes I was known by the cops, as I had to interview them regularly. I worked for ten years as a Private Investigator.

And you admit to breaking the law... like I said, I can understand why Thailand suits you and your anti-social behaviour.

and you have never broken any laws????

Whether I have, or not, is irrelevant, I am not stupid enough, as you seem to be, to expect my country to change to suit my anti-social behaviour, this really does show you as being well suited to Thailand and the UK is better off without you and your less than mature attitude, just for a second, think of the anarchy if all citizens thought and behaved as you do. It is because of people like you that governments MUST make laws to protect its citizens... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by MediaWatcher

A tv licenses what a joke but I think we do ok were I come from and no need to take a thing from thailand and do it in Australia let some one build with out getting the ok are you for real .

If ever a sentence was crying out for some punctuation, here it is.

• Like 1

stat088, on 21 Nov 2014 - 23:29, said:
stat088, on 21 Nov 2014 - 21:48, said:

Yes Australian could learn manners and how to behave in public.

My comment may have been a little bit harsh. Last time back in OZ i found most Aussies well mannered and polite, however, going out at night Aussies on the booze were out of control.

To be fair I think you would encounter the same problem in ALL countries.

• Like 1

TV licence is the only one I agree with.

Were you ever a driver in the UK sitting at traffic lights at 3am for ages when there are very little traffic on the roads? If you want to build a garage for your car, are you happy to let someone else tell you whether you can or can't, despite it being your land, and then charge you a fortune for their "services"?

I'd rather be sitting at those lights than in a crash.

I don't see why everybody in the street should have to put up with or have their house value dropped when someone builds some hideous nasty extension. You'd have no problem building a garage or whatever if it doesn't affect other people.

You'd have no problem if somebody opens an all night karaoke bar next to you on their own land ?

So nobody has a problem with a mosque being built next door complete with loudspeakers and worshippers arriving at all times and parking in front of their drive? If you don't pay for a licence, advert free BBC would be gone, perhaps a good direction to go as it is deteriorating and becoming a left wing/women's lib mouthpiece. Many junctions in the UK have left filter lanes or a left filter green arrow..... in Thailand that lane would get blocked by people with no intention of turning left.

Immigrants are the only ones who will take on these jobs.......

Plenty of good things in Thailand which are not available in the UK, but for me, planning permission is not one of them.

MAJIC, on 22 Nov 2014 - 05:30, said:

Yes! the Traffic Lights that count down every second,which help calm down the impatient people! a great idea!

Oh yeah, great idea, I can see it now, drivers acting like Thai drivers, jumping the gun by 5 seconds..... do you actually think. Ask yourself, just how many countries have count down timers.... perhaps if you are that impatient then you shouldn't be on the road.

The answer to that question is, probably not. It seems most developed countries do not learn anything from their mistakes. If we were able to implant things from Thai culture, I'd go for a heavy dose of patience and tolerance. These things are in short supply back home.

MAJIC, on 22 Nov 2014 - 05:30, said:

Yes! the Traffic Lights that count down every second,which help calm down the impatient people! a great idea!

Oh yeah, great idea, I can see it now, drivers acting like Thai drivers, jumping the gun by 5 seconds..... do you actually think. Ask yourself, just how many countries have count down timers.... perhaps if you are that impatient then you shouldn't be on the road.

do you actually think. Ask yourself, just how many countries have count down timers.... perhaps if you are that impatient then you shouldn't be on the road........... Who said it was me that need them?

I have no idea,how many other countries have them, have never seen them before in other countries,and before someone says,"You have never been anywhere" it's probably more countries than lots of travellers!

Edited by MAJIC

Were you ever a driver in the UK sitting at traffic lights at 3am for ages when there are very little traffic on the roads? If you want to build a garage for your car, are you happy to let someone else tell you whether you can or can't, despite it being your land, and then charge you a fortune for their "services"?

I don't see why everybody in the street should have to put up with or have their house value dropped when someone builds some hideous nasty extension. You'd have no problem building a garage or whatever if it doesn't affect other people.

You'd have no problem if somebody opens an all night karaoke bar next to you on their own land ?

So nobody has a problem with a mosque being built next door complete with loudspeakers and worshippers arriving at all times and parking in front of their drive? If you don't pay for a licence, advert free BBC would be gone, perhaps a good direction to go as it is deteriorating and becoming a left wing/women's lib mouthpiece. Many junctions in the UK have left filter lanes or a left filter green arrow..... in Thailand that lane would get blocked by people with no intention of turning left.

Immigrants are the only ones who will take on these jobs.......

Plenty of good things in Thailand which are not available in the UK, but for me, planning permission is not one of them.

I have a problem with Mosques being built anywhere in the UK, I won't go into the reasons, so lets just say that Britain is not Britain anymore. As far as planning permission goes, I said that 'as long as it does not interfere with anyone else', mosques would as Karaoke bars also would.

• Like 2

possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:49, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:49, said:
MediaWatcher, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:40, said:MediaWatcher, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:40, said:
possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 19:14, said:

MediaWatcher. Yes I was known by the cops, as I had to interview them regularly. I worked for ten years as a Private Investigator.

And you admit to breaking the law... like I said, I can understand why Thailand suits you and your anti-social behaviour.

and you have never broken any laws????

Whether I have, or not, is irrelevant, I am not stupid enough, as you seem to be, to expect my country to change to suit my anti-social behaviour, this really does show you as being well suited to Thailand and the UK is better off without you and your less than mature attitude, just for a second, think of the anarchy if all citizens thought and behaved as you do. It is because of people like you that governments MUST make laws to protect its citizens... you should be ashamed of yourself.

You are not worth answering, so just stop trying to push me into a flaming situation hiding behind your keyboard. This debate is finished, any more replies and the report button gets pressed, now run along.

There's a lot of things the UK could learn from Thailand.

What..?

...like keeping grandpa at home, instead of letting him go bar hopping with young gals in a foreign country.

"...like keeping grandpa at home, instead of letting him go bar hopping with young gals in a foreign country."

I'm trying to work out if that is a positive or a negative ... w00t.gif

So am I.

UK

Something as simple as the staff wearing rollerblades in Big C to get around quicker.. excellent idea, makes sense. Could never do it in the UK for fear of death and injury, health and safety, company rules etc..

Also staff in empty stores chilling and watching tv or playing on their phones.. you'd get sacked in the UK as you're supposed to 'look busy'.

Countdown traffic lights.

I agree with you. Sometimes you might be pissed off being over regulated in UK. But in general however we are protected against arbitrariness by neighbours concerning constructions and building. At last you are protected to make fatal mistakes in your own construction work, because you'll need permission, even they charge you for this "service"

Have you ever been broadsided at a blinking reds intersection?

Ever have the value of your property cut by 30% because of what your neighbor built on his?

I agree with you. Sometimes you might be pissed off being over regulated in UK. But in general however we are protected against arbitrariness by neighbours concerning constructions and building. At last you are protected to make fatal mistakes in your own construction work, because you'll need permission, even they charge you for this "service"

You have a point, but I did say that any work should only be allowed to be done by people who are qualified.

Have you ever been broadsided at a blinking reds intersection?

Ever have the value of your property cut by 30% because of what your neighbor built on his?

Your first question no, your second, I said "as long as you do not interfere with anyone else", besides, no one is going to do anything that will devalue their property.

You have a point, but I did say that any work should only be allowed to be done by people who are qualified.

So you're saying that work should only be done by qualified people under the condition that it does not affect the neighbours' peaceful enjoyment of their property. Well done, you've just defined planning regulations. You or I might think that does not run to keeping in line with the architectural style of the neighbourhood, but many of our neighbours feel that should be included in the planning guidelines; perhaps neighbours who do enjoy as much as we do throwing up ramshackle structures.

I have a drinking acquaintance who loves to regale us with tales of banditry in the erection of agricultural and industrial premises in the Wild West of Ireland, and I can fully understand why neighbours might object to having a temporary shed for the housing of industrial machinery with a design life of 30 years erected adjacent to their property; or even why my own lean-to shed may be considered an eyesore and a blot on the landscape, and were the neighbours to complain to the courts, I doubt it would be worth arguing.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Good post Street Cowboy, but I think anyone creating an eyesore of any sort would be interfering with other people as it would probably lead to the devaluation of their property.

Correct. And fortunately in the UK we have planning regulations so that we can put a stop to that.

I don't think that I would be in favour of replicating Soweto's planning environment in the UK, and i am glad that developers have to carry out environmental impact assessments, traffic studies, etc., and that householders cannot slap up a jerry-built structure whenever they fancy, nor change their land-use without consent and so forth.

SC

Good post Street Cowboy, but I think anyone creating an eyesore of any sort would be interfering with other people as it would probably lead to the devaluation of their property.

Correct. And fortunately in the UK we have planning regulations so that we can put a stop to that.

I don't think that I would be in favour of replicating Soweto's planning environment in the UK, and i am glad that developers have to carry out environmental impact assessments, traffic studies, etc., and that householders cannot slap up a jerry-built structure whenever they fancy, nor change their land-use without consent and so forth.

SC

Another way to put it is, if someone does something on their property that you think affects you, eyesores, land use etc, then let the court decide and the loser pays the court expenses.

SC

Another way to put it is, if someone does something on their property that you think affects you, eyesores, land use etc, then let the court decide and the loser pays the court expenses.

I think you might find that some people might be reticent about speaking out. I'm thinking about Al Capone's neighbours here, and the chaps with the knife wounds in their car tyres.

I suggest you read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, on the hazards of inadequate civic regulation in an industrialised economy. Fortunately, Thailand is not that corrupt, nor as intensively industrialised, but still a valuable case study of note to us all

SC

• Like 1