Kindle fire

forumuser10

Here's another good reason to buy a Kindle that not many people seem to know about. Although I buy Kindle books from time to time, most of the stuff I read originates as PDF files. They could be free books or any kind of document. You can open a PDF on the device but the text will usually be too small because it is formatted and word wrapped for a printed page. When you buy a Kindle you have an account and a personal kindle email address. If you want to read a pdf on your Kindle, you just email the file as an attachment to your Amazon email and write "convert" in the subject line. In a few minutes you will get the file back when you do a sync, properly formatted and word wrapped for the Kindle screen. And it's a free service. You just have to put the sending email address into your preferences in your account as an approved sending address. That's obviously to stop just anyone sending a file to you. You can have as many addresses you want, so it would be possible for a friend to send you a document.

You don't even need to buy a Kindle to do this - it works on the Kindle tablet and phone apps.

There is also a "Send to Kindle" browser extension that let's you put web content into your Kindle library, very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

If you have a Kindle it will be registered to your account by Amazon before you even receive it in the post. Look for "Manage Kindle Content and Devices" in the account menu.

I bought it in a shop in Thailand not direct from amazon.
You can register it manually.

Here's another good reason to buy a Kindle that not many people seem to know about. Although I buy Kindle books from time to time, most of the stuff I read originates as PDF files. They could be free books or any kind of document. You can open a PDF on the device but the text will usually be too small because it is formatted and word wrapped for a printed page. When you buy a Kindle you have an account and a personal kindle email address. If you want to read a pdf on your Kindle, you just email the file as an attachment to your Amazon email and write "convert" in the subject line. In a few minutes you will get the file back when you do a sync, properly formatted and word wrapped for the Kindle screen. And it's a free service. You just have to put the sending email address into your preferences in your account as an approved sending address. That's obviously to stop just anyone sending a file to you. You can have as many addresses you want, so it would be possible for a friend to send you a document.

You don't even need to buy a Kindle to do this - it works on the Kindle tablet and phone apps.

There is also a "Send to Kindle" browser extension that let's you put web content into your Kindle library, very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

Yes but this is for people who like to read on E- ink displays.

I can't be any clearer. There are no restrictions on access to the entire Amazon Bookstore regardless of which credit card you use. If you think otherwise, call Amazon customer services.

Ok, thank you.

No offense, but I would still like to hear from someone who actually bought books from Amazon using a Thai debit/credit card

Which part of "I have" don't you understand? This is my last response to this because it seems you are not prepared to believe anyone. I have used a Siam Commercial Bank Visa credit card to buy and download books in Thailand without restrictions from the Amazon Bookstore. Enough already!

Maybe I missed something, yes you said you have bought from Amazon, but you only said it was linked to your UK credit card. But maybe I missed the text where you said you used your Thai card. But now you say that you used Siam Commercial, thanks!

Don't worry about where you bought it and which credit card you are using. My Siam comm bank ATM card is connected to my Amazon account and that's it.

So, have you bought any books from Amazon?

Yes many, they normally arrives within 5-10 min via either 3g or wi-fi on my kindles when I buy them.

Sorry it's not a Sian comm bank atm card but a BKK bank atm one, which you can use for ebay/amazon/agoda and so on.

Great, I think I will be getting me a Kindle Fire soon!

• 9 months later...

Is it possible the OP is confusing the Kindle Fire Android tablet with the Kindle E-Readers? (Paperwhite, Voyager, ect) They are very different products.

The main difference that makes an E-Reader display much easier to read for extended periods of time than a tablet or computer screen is that the E-reader display does not cycle...it is static.

Tablet displays, just like fluorescent lamps as well as computer and TV screens cycle 50-60 times a second, too fast for the eye to see but tiring in the long run. Also, display backgrounds are unnaturally bright; too much contrast between the type and background which also causes eye strain.

E-reader displays work somewhat the same principle as copiers: an electrostatic charge forms the type on the page. Even the E-Readers with built in backlights are much less bright and contrasty then tablet screens and that brightness is usually fully adjustable as well, as is font size and also typeface.

E-Readers also tend to be much lighter and easier to hold for long periods, They also generally have longer battery life.

Tablets and phone screens are fine for short reads, maybe a chapter or two but for settling down on a rainy afternoon, a dedicated E-Reader is superior by far.

BTW, you can save about $30 on a new Kindle Paperwhite by buying the version that allows ad's. These ads only appear when the Kindle is off or at the very start when turned on. They never pop-up while you are reading.

Try goggle kindle Thailand, there is a shop in BKK that sells them, bought my paperwhite from them, free shipping to Pattaya.

Did you try to order any books from Amazon with it?

I bought two of my kindles from that service. You have to set up a user account with Amazon, then you can order away! Here is another place to get .mobi books for a verrrry good price! :)

There are absolutely no restrictions on downloading any books in Thailand.

Ok, but that might be because you have a non thai credit card linked to amazon?

I can't be any clearer. There are no restrictions on access to the entire Amazon Bookstore regardless of which credit card you use. If you think otherwise, call Amazon customer services.

Ok, thank you.

No offense, but I would still like to hear from someone who actually bought books from Amazon using a Thai debit/credit card

I have had kindles for the past four years. Have only bought books with a Thai CC. Never a problem, they always take my $!

For most (but not all) PDFs, you can easily convert the file to a MOBI doc that works just fine. Use the Calibre program, free.

If you have a Kindle it will be registered to your account by Amazon before you even receive it in the post. Look for "Manage Kindle Content and Devices" in the account menu.

I bought it in a shop in Thailand not direct from amazon.

That's ok, you just link your kindle to your account in the settings. Oila!

I've been thinking about a second tablet, ebooks only, and will consider the new $50 Kindle Fire... how can you go wrong? smile.png

Any news on what the battery life will be?

Edit: Found it, 7 hours. sad.png

If you need a tablet for email, news, games etc, then that is not bad. If you want something just to get books and other READING materials, then you won't go wrong with the Kindle Paperwhite. If you read 3-4 hours a day, I bet you don't need to charge it for a few weeks.

For most (but not all) PDFs, you can easily convert the file to a MOBI doc that works just fine. Use the Calibre program, free.
Yes, Calibre works well too if you want to do a bit more work. But being the lazy sod I am, I can be reclining on the sofa with my iPad looking at a pdf I would rather read on my kindle. I can email it to my kindle address from my iPad and then lean over, pick up my kindle, switch on the wifi on the kindle and download the converted PDF without going near a PC to open Calibre.

I have a tablet I bought a few years ago for 4,000b at Panthip. I installed Nook software (Barnes&Noble) and it makes just as good of a reader as any.

A friend installed Kindle software. It looked through all the files on his tablet and he kept getting messages regarding whether some files on the device were in violation of copyright laws, even music files he ripped from CDs. Talk about intrusive!

I have a tablet I bought a few years ago for 4,000b at Panthip. I installed Nook software (Barnes&Noble) and it makes just as good of a reader as any.

A friend installed Kindle software. It looked through all the files on his tablet and he kept getting messages regarding whether some files on the device were in violation of copyright laws, even music files he ripped from CDs. Talk about intrusive!

Strange, I have kindle software installed on my computers, tablets, and Kindle and I've never had that issue. I use a lot of non DRM texts acquired from elsewhere and it's always opened.

Strange, I have kindle software installed on my computers, tablets, and Kindle and I've never had that issue. I use a lot of non DRM texts acquired from elsewhere and it's always opened.

I didn't say it was blocked.