Difference between M.Sc. and M.Eng. in Thailand?

I will soon graduate with a B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering and planning to do my Master's degree in a not so distant future. As my attention have fallen on the M.Eng in Petroleum Engineering at Chulalongkorn I have started to question the difference between a M.Sc and a M.Eng degree.

A quick search on Google on the subject suggests different things as it seems to depend what country the university is located in. Some people say it is just like a M.Sc but less focus on scientific research and no thesis. Others claim that it is a natural progression of a B.Eng but the studies are still considered as undergraduate.

This confuses me a lot as the M.Eng in Petroleum Engineering offered at Chulalongkorn claims to be graduate studies and contains a thesis project.

Does someone of you guys here on the board know what the deal is in Thailand?

You will not get a definitive answer. However, it may have been decided to distinguish this particular course as an M.Eng course due to its emphasis on applied science and strong emphasis on research as a percentage of the overall qualification. It does not mean less scientific research. The spec requires a thesis and says that there is an oral examination of such attached. Looks a very good course indeed. You should give it serious consideration.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

Usually guys who go on MSc courses are on a quite different pathway (taught course) to those on MPhil/PhD pathways. The Chula MEng course looks to be steering a middle pathway and maybe looking to see which students can continue seemlessly on to a PhD. They may have some linkup with specific companies who offer sponsorship of students who proceed further? Either way I would expect post-graduates of this course a virtually guaranteed job offer on completion. Looks gold plated, though you might want to check out getting some feedback first from one or two students who have either completed or are currently studying the course.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1