Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

Yep, we like the food court in the Airport Plaza basement as well. The other food court we like is at the Big C Extra, old Carrefour. It's hard to find a place to sit at either of these places at lunchtime.

Grin

The only thing I don't like are those little stalls around the Kao Soi place.....have to sit sideways, so I wait until it's quiet. biggrin.png

So funny…. love the kao soi and the giggles when this farang attempts to sit down.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in the Chiang rai forum and noticed a thread with this title.

Thought it would be useful to have a similar one for Chiang Mai..... ;-)

In many ways the Chiang Mai forum is more personal and useful than the Bangkok forum (where I now live), but when you look at a thread like this asking for 'good restaurants in Chiang Mai' and see a load of saddos suggesting food courts and McDonalds, you realise that the more functional style of the Bangkok forum has its pluses!

Chiang Mai has a fantastic range of restaurants. I'd suggest some myself, but until I come up at Christmas and sample them afresh, I don't like to review them. So how about a few of you 'foodies' telling the OP about the current situation at Chez Marco, Rioja 2, Le Terrasse, Billys', Pern's, O'Malley's, The Olive Tree (if thats what Jerusalem Falafel is now called, Le Lapin, or the excellent Thai places from different regions, or the Chinese /Japanese/Korean/Indian/.

Such a wealth of restaurants, such a paucity of bankrupt contributions.

Hate to disagree but CM does not have "a fantastic range of restaurants." Billy's? The Olive Tree? O'Malley's!? Please. You are much better off in Bangkok.

The so-called "saddos" suggesting food courts and McD's are just having a bit of fun.

I'll add that some of the worst service I've ever received has been at Pern's, so much so that I refuse to go there ever again.

When you are one of two customers in the place - and you're bussing your own table because the staff can't be bothered - and the bartender thanks you for "helping out" while the owner sits, watches, and says nothing.....then it's time to go elsewhere.

I agree service or lack of it can really make a difference to one enjoying an dining experience. Sounds like you did not have a good experience, but I was just at Pern's last week and the service was good. The owner even came over to talk with us and mentioned that they are coming up with a new tapas menu. He said he extended the bar area because people wanted that. I had a delicous lamb shank with mash potatoes and a lot of vegetables.

I agree about Chez Marco being good, but I have not been there for a couple of years (just hardly in that area) so keep that in mind.

I agree with Duke's (Maeping branch) good for hamburger and pizza.

For Thai (fusion), W by Wanlamun, is a very nice place - very nicely presented and fancy Thai food. Also, they have delicious desserts. Note: Ullysses (thank you!) had posted here about this a few years ago so we tried it and liked it.

For gaiyang - Doi Cherng near Nimmanhaemin. A classmate gave me this recommendation last year.

My favorite Thai restaurant for years is "Kaeng Ron Ban Suan".

Oh and on another thread someone said "don't bother" about Lemon Tree (on Huay Kaew). I can kind of understand that comment depending on what one ordered. We get stuff "to go" regularly there and have a few things that we really like.

Also, I wanted to really thank TV members who have recommended places in the past. It is really helpful because there are so many places in Chiang Mai that it is difficult to select.

Oh for vegetarian, I haven't been for awhile, but Khun Churn lunch buffet used to be good. Imm Aim has some good vegetarian food too (kao yum phuket is good).

A newly opened Sushi restaurant in my neighborhood is creating a monster evening traffic jam. Last week zero moto, tonight 348 motos lined up along the roadway, up on the walkway, into the street. All for Sushi at 158 baht. That's all i can read of the sign but maybe the words also say 'all you can eat', since that feature would drag in all the young folk eager to wolf down the california rolls and salmon slices. Where? Well, turn off the superhiway at Grandview, make a few more turns to the T intersection of Ratchaphruek Road, which at the other end starts across from the Shell petrol station.

The food? I have no idea.

Good to see more Thai restaurants mentioned these days! Nice to eat all sorts of things from many cuisine, but not to remember that you are in Thailand and simply want to import your taste and place here is perplexing! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy

Good to see more Thai restaurants mentioned these days! Nice to eat all sorts of things from many cuisine, but not to remember that you are in Thailand and simply want to import your taste and place here is perplexing! smile.png

Oh, no. Mapguy again telling us that since we are in Thailand we cannot eat food from other countries.

Mapguy, please tell us, where you have lived, and what foods of which nations did you eat while living there?

I lived in the UK for two years and avoided their food as much as possible. I lived in Germany for four years. Their food was fine but I found myself eating a lot of Italian food while there.

I never lived in France or Italy. I wish I had. I lived in Belgium for two years...the beer was wonderful but I cannot recall having a great meal.

I lived in Portugal and I loved some of their fish dishes, but I couldn't eat it everyday. I lived in China for a year and I wish I could forget it.

I lived in Turkey for six months and the food was heaven.

So, Mapguy. Fess up. Where have you lived and what kind of food did you eat while living there? And please do not send me any more unsolicited PMs, and don't try to convince me that renting is better than buying...

Edited by JulieM

Okay, give us your list of Thai restaurants and the best things to order at each. If you an make a real contribution for a change.

heres one , as requested by the farung grazers

hot chilli restaurant ..walking street market , directly opposite mitsubishi dealership

great menu,at very affordable prices incl beverages, cusine very delicious,decor absoulately outstanding,service is tops

ample parking at rear, perhaps best to sidestep sundays due to markets presence

all up, a very nice place to graze fine thai cusine , is the hot chilli

a great chilly morning to allsmile.png

I'm a cheap Charlie, so is my wife. That's how we have spent almost our entire life together, lol! I consider a good restaurant as one that offers decent meals for two (without drinks) for under B500. That's why we often go to the Grandview buffet. Now, it is B200 per head which includes a small bottle of water. For us, add in B20 for the parking attendant who's very friendly to us, and B20 to each of the 2 receptionists (or hostesses). Even the GM, an European, of the hotel recognizes us.

I don't think that people are trying to 'import their taste and place' they are just making good use of the influx of tasty and international cuisines that are available in Chiang Mai these days.

My wife is Thai and we pretty much eat Thai food most days, usually we both prefer to eat something that we don't usually have at home when we dine out so we may eat Japanese or at the Dukes or Italian...I am neither Japanese, American or Italian so I am not importing my taste!

I do like your posts though Mapguy as they are consistently ridiculous and usually inspire me to respond.

Anyone know anything about the new Indian Restaurant in Maya?

Someone mentioned it to me the other day and something about an all you can eat buffet but I'm not sure if It was a dream or not as I have done a few Google searches and can't find any mention of an Indian Restaurant at Maya..someone tell me it's true not a figment of my imagination smile.png

I thought the following are quite nice:

Baan Rai Yam yen for a nice dinner, nice atmosphere, good food and normal prices.

Yong for good Thai-Chinese dishes (2 branches, one in city and one on the way to Sansai)

Jia Tong Heng: Chinese restaurant, good food, reasonably priced, everything inside, good for a business dinner

A little bit more outside and for lunch I like

Baan Suan Salad Maejo (only open 10:00-1600). Nice atmosphere, popular with Thais, some Thai actors like to visit this place. Prices a little bit more expensive, one dish 80-100 baht.

Or for a nice coffee/relaxing lunch also a bit outside:

Café Have a hug. Thai/Western fusion dishes, excellent, home made cake, good coffee/tea. Very nicely decorated next to rice fields, very relaxing. Prices a bit more expensive with about 100-120 baht per dish.

Anyone know anything about the new Indian Restaurant in Maya?

Someone mentioned it to me the other day and something about an all you can eat buffet but I'm not sure if It was a dream or not as I have done a few Google searches and can't find any mention of an Indian Restaurant at Maya..someone tell me it's true not a figment of my imagination smile.png

We were there a week or so ago and was surprised to see a Middle Eastern restaurant. We had already eaten, but being curious I asked if I could look. I saw a lot of Indian food that looked pretty good. I did not remember the name and saw your post so I did a google search and found a review for Babylonian Middle Eastern Restaurant referencing the sister restaurant at Maya Mall. It was highly rated. Hope this helps... If you try it out, let us know.

I think I saw that place as well. I was coming down in the lift and was surprised because I don't think it is on the same floor as the other restaurants. Most are on 4 but I think this place may be on 3. I cannot wait to check it out.

Haven't been to Suntori yet, hopefully next week.

Br warned: The good part is that it is tasty and very inexpensive. The bad part is that it is so popular that you have to share your table with strangers. It is worth it though - IMO.

Perhaps if you come alone but as a couple, we normally get our own private table not that we really mind sharing the table which accommodates 4 persons . :)

The only Indian restaurant I eat at these days is Taj Mahal. It is clean and comfortable and if there are better Indian places in Chiang Mai, I've never found them.

Toss up between there and Le Spice.. Taj Mahal could do with a bit of a scrub down..

The only Indian restaurant I eat at these days is Taj Mahal. It is clean and comfortable and if there are better Indian places in Chiang Mai, I've never found them.

Toss up between there and Le Spice.. Taj Mahal could do with a bit of a scrub down..

Is Le Spice the one in the Night Bazaar? It is very comfortable, but I just don't like their base curry that is in many of the dishes. That might be a personal preference thing though.

Taj Mahal is superb. My favorite Indian restaurant. But I also like Radjarbar on Loy Kroh for a change. They have a few unusual dishes I haven't seen anywhere else. Both are very good.

The place at Maya is called Babylonian Iraqi and they are offering a buffet for 299 baht. I am not sure if you can order off of a menu or if it is buffet only. I was just there and wanted to try it but it was the wrong time for a meal. My post above was wrong, it is on the 4th floor with all the other restaurants.

Dukes is "coming soon" next to the Fuji Restaurant. Fuji is going to lose a lot of my business once Duke's opens.

Of course I will need to wear a disguise to eat at any of these places since we are suppose to eat only Thai food in Thailand : )

Edited by JulieM

The place at Maya is called Babylonian Iraqi and they are offering a buffet for 299 baht. I am not sure if you can order off of a menu or if it is buffet only. I was just there and wanted to try it but it was the wrong time for a meal. My post above was wrong, it is on the 4th floor with all the other restaurants.

http://www.diningchiangmai.com/2013/03/babylon-iraqi-food-will-it-stand-test.html

Doesn't look too promising...

Of course I will need to wear a disguise to eat at any of these places since we are suppose to eat only Thai food in Thailand : )

eat where u want..who cares

before the farung invasion,the fare was dominately thai,with very few farung /alien fusions operating

but those who did , were a step ahead of the present bunch ,chez marco is a prime example

today,s new farung fare eateries,are just another 7/11 so to speak

I.M.O. ..generally(please note generally) a good thai restaurant, plays the farungs off the break , period

but since the farung invasion the goal posts have moved as most newbies bring their heavy baggage with them, how sad

give me the good old c/mai days, for a graze ,before the farung invasion

anytimesmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

electrified, that is not the same place. The photo clearly does not come from Maya and the article is dated March (no year given.)

As I understand it, same owner. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the same owner, but you seem to have found a bad review amongst the plenty of good ones online. The only one I've seen of the new restaurant is on Tripadvisor, which is a positive review.

electrified, that is not the same place. The photo clearly does not come from Maya and the article is dated March (no year given.)

As I understand it, same owner. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the same owner, but you seem to have found a bad review amongst the plenty of good ones online. The only one I've seen of the new restaurant is on Tripadvisor, which is a positive review.

Actually I didn't search for a bad one to be perfectly honest. I opened the first link that appeared in google Chrome (which is different than the first on Firefox). Honestly I've never been. I did go to the original location with a friend one evening and upon entering there were absolutely no customers at all, so we left and went elsewhere.

Is it good?