Bicycle riding safety trick

The Snark

An atomizer of vinegar does the trick.

Re Herd animals; Here's a classic that occurred while in the Army driving along the A 470 between Crickhowell & Brecon many years ago. The driver noticed sheep everywhere & started grinning. When I asked what he was smirking about he said "Watch this" & wound down his window. As we skirted a large field he let out a series of authentic "one-man-and-his-dog" whistle blasts & sure enough all sheep within a half mile radius promptly rounded themselves up with not a dog in sight! smile.png

Edited by evadgib

If I was to stop for every dog that 'woofed' at me I would be out on the thing, (or not) all day and as for getting aggressive with them, wast of time, if you ride that route regular getting all stroppy with the dogs will just prolong the amount of times you will have to keep taking them on.

Dog are territorial and until they get to know you, (passing by regularly) some dogs will just see you as an intruder. Most dogs in Thailand, like anywhere just go through the motions, do there job......Gob off a little...Check the perimeter.

It does not take long for a dog to recognize you and whether you are the aggressive one to them or not. I ride in Mae Taeng and believe me there are some near wild beasties out in the bush up here. In 8 years I've been bitten just the once, little git blind-blindsided me, didn't bark..... and nipped my leg.

OK, I know some mutts, until you get to know each other can get a bit 'bitey'..... I agree with 'DaveAustin' and the use of the back brake works...every time, just a quick 'nip' of the brake OK, I ride primarily on dirt, but it works OK on metal roads as well....They will stop, some even back right off....But you do need to be riding a bike that can lock up the back with a flick of the lever.....

Anybody using ninja death stars, lasers.....or getting off and chasing them...Oh we had one....

Maybe if you ride behind a Soi Biker dogs will attack him first... then you can just ride on by.

But also likely, after the first bite they will find him unpalatable & turn on you.

Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

• 4 weeks later...

I just boot them in the face as I pass by.

My tip, don't wear trainers, sandals or flip flops while cycling.

Steel toe caps?

A cow once booted my car so Ill refrain from booting them, sit back relax and let them saunter down the road............I aint in any hurry

OP, I dug out an old vid of mine, an encounter with bush beasts up in Mae Taeng ........Yep....Killer dogs

Nice. Wish I had more roads like that in my neck of the woods.

Yer, we are spoilt rotten for single track and off road with hundreds of miles of it on our doorstep up here. new tracks keep opening up as old one overgrow.

Where are you 'Snark'?

Probably the trip that is going to save you money:
get rabies vaccinations in the government hospital.

They are very cheap (200B).

If you never got them and you get bitten you need immunoglobuline which can be very expensive (5000B)
If you ever were vaccinated you just need to get a reminder shot, which is very cheap (200B).

Edited by kriswillems

OP, I dug out an old vid of mine, an encounter with bush beasts up in Mae Taeng ........Yep....Killer dogs

Nice. Wish I had more roads like that in my neck of the woods.

Yer, we are spoilt rotten for single track and off road with hundreds of miles of it on our doorstep up here. new tracks keep opening up as old one overgrow.

Where are you 'Snark'?

Between Sansai and Doi Saket. Got a few dirt roads but most are hills. To get out into the serious dirt riding I have to catch a boat across the Mae Kwang reservoir, or crank out 10 to 15 km on paved highway before I ever get onto the dirt. That wait for the return trip on the boat or extra 30+ km turns pleasant rides into all day bum busters.

Edited by The Snark

Well I don't have problem when passing them, I guess I am too fast. But I can't stop and look at the GPS on my mobile phone. As soon as I stop the dogs protect their area against me. Today I had to emergency jump on the bike and speed up to 35 to escape 4 dogs hunting me....

The person who claims they have never had a problem with dogs has never encountered the wrong dogs in the wrong area. There's a little maze of roads northeast of Maejo U that no bike rider can go through unscathed. I guesstimated 44 dogs in a 5 street area and we all know about the pack mentality egging each other on.

But my making my presence known verbally, turning machine target into a human usually works. When it doesn't there's the seasoned bamboo cane in it's holster on the handlebars and the steel toed boots. The bear is to tell me which way I'm travelling on those really bad pre coffee morning jaunts. Danger, those riders who have to have the proper riding togs atop their spiffy alloy mega baht bikes might want to shade your eyes from the glory of my 4,000 baht 22 kilogram machine. Gots an honest 50k kilomeets on it and going strong.

MyBike_zps78eef996.jpg

Edited by The Snark

The person who claims they have never had a problem with dogs has never encountered the wrong dogs in the wrong area. There's a little maze of roads northeast of Maejo U that no bike rider can go through unscathed. I guesstimated 44 dogs in a 5 street area and we all know about the pack mentality egging each other on.

But my making my presence known verbally, turning machine target into a human usually works. When it doesn't there's the seasoned bamboo cane in it's holster on the handlebars and the steel toed boots. The bear is to tell me which way I'm travelling on those really bad pre coffee morning jaunts. Danger, those riders who have to have the proper riding togs atop their spiffy alloy mega baht bikes might want to shade your eyes from the glory of my 4,000 baht 22 kilogram machine. Gots an honest 50k kilomeets on it and going strong.

MyBike_zps78eef996.jpg

‘The Snark’…… OK, I concede you have a point regarding, dog pack mentality…. In a confined space. No, I’ve not encountered that, I don’t ride in built up areas…All country and off road for me. But I have meet bad wild dogs in not great situations….I’m still here and I still ride those areas, I have a, (patented pending) anti ‘bad boy’ manoeuvre……..Lol, stops 99% of ankle biting attacks dead in their tracks.

As for a ‘spiffy alloy mega baht bike’…….. Sorry but yes I am guilty of riding one, minus the power ‘Ranger kit’…… It does what I need it for…..I fear to take your ‘beast into the hills around where I live would be a kin to laying your love spuds in a primed mouse trap and garnishing them with smelly cheese in the basement of a mouse hotel.

As I look at your ‘weapon of choice’……..and Its ‘Active’ stickers, I am filled with admiration. I’m sure you getting many an admiring glance from people you crawl past….There eye’s drawn in your direction by the sound of your ‘dog whispering’, squealing block brakes and that groaning steel cable holding the ‘beast’ together.

Just a thought………. Are you sure it’s not the beast you are riding that is sending these dogs into a frenzy? ......... Maybe they see you a pray, just a thought.

Here’s to the next 50k…….Enjoy each kilometre...... Keep riding!

The dogs are always going to be a problem. Responsible pet ownership is pie in the sky. Almost unheard of here. Even I, who once worked animal control in Calif am at fault with our utterly moronic dog. Who is presently growling at a passing group on bikes.

A friend out on a stroll on foot one night only 3 blocks from Tahpae gate was attacked by a group of dogs. He managed to escape with one bite and shredded clothes. They do respect the stick in hand but that's the last ditch defense.

We also need to keep in mind the average Thai dog is very primitive compared to the animals encountered in Europe and the US. It is the canine equivalent of homo erectus, only two evolutionary burps removed from the origin of the species, the India wolf. In them you can see many of the breeds that have followed as the chow, akita, malamute and on the down the line. Their primal instincts are much closer to the surface.

My rattle trap bike can't be as bad or as noisy as the antique bikes ridden by the locals. On that note I'm delighted the multispeed bikes are making the scene for the elderly here. They need the gears to lower the high impact aerobics. We need lower impact sustained exercise when we get older. We're not trying to build up musculature any more but do our cardio-vascular system some good.

One thing I occasionally miss, is high speed riding. I doubt Mr. Steroids Armstrong could have sustained 30 kph on my monster. That makes for longer times spent on the bike but I probably burn 2 to 3 times the calories to go the same distance of the zoom machines. My monster does have one superlative advantage over those thoroughbreds: I can and do boldly go places that would turn those bikes into very expensive piles of scrap metal in a few months. I've even sent the bike down the occasional hill-precipice without me when things border the suicidal. Sending it into a lake-pond-puddle-sump-frog wallow where I had to get the local kids fish it out for me was one of those unavoidable oops things.

The Thai dog. Breeding experts have picked out a couple dozen modern makes and models from this photo.

DSCF0889_zps95fd5257.jpg

Edited by The Snark

• 2 weeks later...

This Thai driver had his own unique way of dealing with dogs attacking his car as he drove by. He got out and shot it! The CCTV footage was captured recently in Bangkok's Lat Prao district on 13/01/15. Police are trying to trace the driver but are hampered by the poor quality of the footage.

This Thai driver had his own unique way of dealing with dogs attacking his car as he drove by. He got out and shot it! The CCTV footage was captured recently in Bangkok's Lat Prao district on 13/01/15. Police are trying to trace the driver but are hampered by the poor quality of the footage.

That's one way of dealing with things I suppose.

As a former LEO and a paramedic I'm honestly in a quandary about that behavior. As a cop I was required twice to execute dogs under similar circumstances, but a civilian doing that is a criminal act. Nice paradox there. My bullets are cleaner? Then I've seen numerous incidents of animals causing traffic accidents here, along with 3 or 4 gruesome dog vs vehicle incidents.

Watched two girls in their school clothes have a dog run right under their motorcycle just a few feet in front of me. A half minute earlier they were beside my vehicle at a traffic light, chatting to each other. One gal had some pretty serious road rash and I transported the other girl to the hospital> Concussion, fx ribs and clavicle,

Lacking the wisdom of Solomon....

I'll give you one I still have mixed feelings about. Highway Patrol requested my unit specifically to an accident scene. Very high speed highway. Tractor trailer nearly lost control and was off on the soft shoulder, a car slammed into him. Traffic was at a dead halt in the other direction. There was a frisky calf in the center median that was having a great time causing havoc. I could have rounded it up without too much trouble but I've got a well known mean as they come senior CHP officer snarling at me the second I got out of my unit, 'Shoot that _______ thing!'.

Edited by The Snark