Koh Chang's tourist-hugging monk expelled

webfact

Koh Chang's Tourist-Hugging Monk Expelled
By Khaosod English

14170695601417070254l.jpg
Photo of Phra Supot hugging a foreign tourist that went viral on the internet

TRAT - The Buddhist authority in Trat province has formally defrocked a monk who was photographed hugging two female tourists on the popular island of Koh Chang last week.

Nitithorn Kawisawan, assistant to kamnan (local administrator) of Koh Chang island, said senior monks at Wat Khlong Prao temple have decided to defrock the monk, Phra Supot, yesterday night.

In the photo that has gone viral on the internet in the past week, Phra Supot was seen giving hugs to two foreign women, presumably tourists, who were visiting Wat Khlong Prao temple. The incident took place on 22 November, Nitithorn said.

201411222133215_20041020151344.jpg

Under Buddhist dogma, monks are not allowed to touch any woman. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1417069560

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-27

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Vinaya Rule specifies that if a bhikkhu touches or is touched by a woman, it is an offence — a very serious offence — only if the bhikkhu is overcome by lust, with altered mind. However, the practising bhikkhu knows that as his mind changes so quickly, he has to be extremely cautious about involving himself in doubtful situations. It is better to be safe than sorry, even if this may seem over-scrupulous. In emergency situations the bhikkhu will have to decide for himself and be sure to take care of his thoughts. In Thailand it is a tradition (not strictly a rule) that the monk uses a 'receiving cloth' to emphasize that there is no touching.

There doesn't appear to be anything lustful in his actions ; he looks uncomfortable, if anything. His real sin was generosity, allowing them a souvenir photo. One brief lapse in judgement, allowing a photo to be taken, has possibly wrecked his life. Is there evidence of something more sinister, or is it simply because the photo went viral? It would be a shame if the power of social media is starting to affect judgements in something as apparently untainted as the Sangha in Thailand.

You were going well there until the last sentence. "...untainted as the Sangha in Thailand". With the number of monks being caught shagging young girls, stealing or embezzling and committing various other offences I think Buddhism in Thailand is far from untainted.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Vinaya Rule specifies that if a bhikkhu touches or is touched by a woman, it is an offence — a very serious offence — only if the bhikkhu is overcome by lust, with altered mind. However, the practising bhikkhu knows that as his mind changes so quickly, he has to be extremely cautious about involving himself in doubtful situations. It is better to be safe than sorry, even if this may seem over-scrupulous. In emergency situations the bhikkhu will have to decide for himself and be sure to take care of his thoughts. In Thailand it is a tradition (not strictly a rule) that the monk uses a 'receiving cloth' to emphasize that there is no touching.

There doesn't appear to be anything lustful in his actions ; he looks uncomfortable, if anything. His real sin was generosity, allowing them a souvenir photo. One brief lapse in judgement, allowing a photo to be taken, has possibly wrecked his life. Is there evidence of something more sinister, or is it simply because the photo went viral? It would be a shame if the power of social media is starting to affect judgements in something as apparently untainted as the Sangha in Thailand.

You were going well there until the last sentence. "...untainted as the Sangha in Thailand". With the number of monks being caught shagging young girls, stealing or embezzling and committing various other offences I think Buddhism in Thailand is far from untainted.

yes I think quite a few of us were looking for the sarcasm smiley.......

Had I known there was a sarcasm smiley I might just have been tempted to insert one. That having been said I think their reaction was unnecessarily harsh.

• Like 1

Had I known there was a sarcasm smiley I might just have been tempted to insert one. That having been said I think their reaction was unnecessarily harsh.

I agree with you Sam.. other solutions are available. On the other hand, TAT lost out on a great tourist promotion. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The Vinaya Rule specifies that if a bhikkhu touches or is touched by a woman, it is an offence a very serious offence only if the bhikkhu is overcome by lust, with altered mind. However, the practising bhikkhu knows that as his mind changes so quickly, he has to be extremely cautious about involving himself in doubtful situations. It is better to be safe than sorry, even if this may seem over-scrupulous. In emergency situations the bhikkhu will have to decide for himself and be sure to take care of his thoughts. In Thailand it is a tradition (not strictly a rule) that the monk uses a 'receiving cloth' to emphasize that there is no touching.

N

Utter and total religious bullshit, all religions are controlling, of every situation the Thai Buddhist beliefs show they are no different from any other, too many undesirables seek sanctuary in the disguise of a new found faith, or escaping from the law, and of course they all preach the unbelievable.

don't make fun of monks. they are still many good ones but I think there is a difference between a monk who will spend 3 days in the temple because he promised her mother or a monk who goes to the temple when he is 20 and still stays there when he is 80. The one who will spend 3 days there maybe doesn't take it as serious as the monk spending his whole life in a temple. Phra Supot was supposed to achieve a 6 years monk hood but was he there 6 years already? I couldn't find this in the newspaper. This is a very long time for man without contact with a woman. I'm a woman but I blame the girls more than Phra Supot, they are are not innocent. A monk is a monk but also a man. It's not right to blame only him. Every woman knows that a monk is not allowed to touch us, so, girls, respect it and don't touch a monk as well, don't tempt him!

WOW!!! I'm, like, totally stoned stunned. Where did all the luv go??? KC ain't near as groovy as it was a few years ago...

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (according to Cindy Lauper) biggrin.png

so...just another 'Monk on the Run"---so what?, no big deal, move along, people--nothing to see here...

why is this non-event even considered as newsworthy???

PS ...and before all you feminists jump on my case--I'm all for women's lib w00t.gif I got your back wink.png

Edited by cloghead