My experience at IDC for overstaying

You are not required to carry your passport but you should have a copy of it with your visa. A DL is usually ok too. Just take a photo of your passport and visa and keep it in your phone.

The law has always been and still is overstay and pay 20k at the airport or get caught and go to IDC. If you have money Immigration will let you sleep in one of their offices and even take you to restaurants and 7-11 and let you order KFC and pizzas etc. and give you your phone back.

I've got plenty of clowns out of IDC over the years and it's always ended up costing me.

You are saying they will accept an overseas Driver's Licence if you don't carry your passport? They also accept a photo of the passport on your phone?

If you have a copy of your details page of the passport & the visa, do you need to carry a copy of all your 90 day extension stamps from immigration too?

You are not required to carry your passport but you should have a copy of it with your visa. A DL is usually ok too. Just take a photo of your passport and visa and keep it in your phone.

The law has always been and still is overstay and pay 20k at the airport or get caught and go to IDC. If you have money Immigration will let you sleep in one of their offices and even take you to restaurants and 7-11 and let you order KFC and pizzas etc. and give you your phone back.

I've got plenty of clowns out of IDC over the years and it's always ended up costing me.

You are saying they will accept an overseas Driver's Licence if you don't carry your passport? They also accept a photo of the passport on your phone?

If you have a copy of your details page of the passport & the visa, do you need to carry a copy of all your 90 day extension stamps from immigration too?

A Thai Driving License would be sufficient proof of ID since a foreign one would not be written in Thai I would not recommend it.

Just copy your passport and your last extension of stay stamp into your phone and this will be sufficient until you can produce your original passport if required. They can use this info to check in their computer who you are and if you have a valid visa/extension of stay.

Did you have your passport on you?

I think most people walk around without their passport .. have it at home or hotel.

Are they arresting people for not having their passport?

Do you think they would be convinced with a copy of passport and current legal stay stamps?

The OP actually answered that JT

It turned out they were checking every farang they saw on the street, and everyone who couldn`t show either a copy of, or their passport, were arrested. No exeptions.

You said an hour away from Suan Phlu so I presume this wasn't Sukhumvit. Which part of Bangkok did this happen?

Yes please let us know outside of which mall. It must have been somewhere off the beaten track. Trying to do this near MBC would be impossible.

Still think someone reported the OP. To do this purely at random seems unlikely.

this is an amazing thread, something you would expect in an African country run by rebels, being rounded up off the streets,

But lets take a step back and look at the known facts, the poster is on a one year overstay, which he has done before. so not the 'quality tourist' Thailand is looking for.

All the advice in threads on overstay say get a plane ticket booked and go to the airport, pay the 20,000 baht and keep your head down, there was a thread running on the subject only this week. here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779026-overstay/ but someone on a 1 year overstay in say UK would be treated the same, but maybe in a little more comfortable conditions.

There is another thread running today of being refused entry on a Ed visa and having to fly to home country here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780216-just-got-kicked-out-of-thai-with-valid-visa/

So something is going on with the enforcement of visa rules.

If this is as widespread as the thread suggests why are we not hearing numerous accounts of being stopped/arrested/detained on the streets? not saying the poster is a troll

But i would think as a result of these 2 threads all people in a similar situation must be bricking it a little. i know i would be

I think this is a good lesson on staying legal in Thailand, with a good long term extension of stay, with all 90 day reports up to date.

You said an hour away from Suan Phlu so I presume this wasn't Sukhumvit. Which part of Bangkok did this happen?

I was captured outside Bang Kapi Mall, Soi Lad Prao, even the first time I was there. It took about one hour to Suan Phlu, but there were pretty heavy traffic.

And for those who still think I was reported by someone, I can guarantee that is not the case. I dont know much people, and the few I know didn`t have a clue I was on overstay in Thailand.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Interesting thread, although quite possible this wasn't as random as he thinks.

The fact that he was on an overstay and has been picked up, nothing untoward as to why he was detained.

No, not possible. In my opinion, they were mainly targeting africans in the area, since most of the people captured were Nigerians.

I just happened to be in the wrong place, even my first trip to the mall at Bang Kapi.

I would also like to say that there are about 1000 people at the IDC now, and they just keep on coming in with more. Most get their tickets within a week or two, and the place is filled up accordingly. When it is overcrowded, they probably wait a day or two, but go on as soon as they see fit.

There were many cases of the same procedure reported inside the IDC.

I was captured outside Bang Kapi Mall, Soi Lad Prao, even the first time I was there. It took about one hour to Suan Phlu, but there were pretty heavy traffic.

And for those who still think I was reported by someone, I can guarantee that is not the case. I dont know much people, and the few I know didn`t have a clue I was on overstay in Thailand.

Did you show your passport when check in at your hotel?

If yes: no need to look any further...

Thanks for answering. Perhaps their strategy is to go looking in areas where a foreigner is unlikely to be a tourist.

• Like 1

No I didn`t. I lied at check-in, and told them I was going to pick up a new passport at my embassy the next day. Just showed them my thai drivers license. I knew the risk of exposing myself.

They had no reason to doubt that, and everything went well at check-in. I stayed there for a couple of days.

Thanks for answering. Perhaps their strategy is to go looking in areas where a foreigner is unlikely to be a tourist.

There you can be absolutely right. There are very few so called tourist in the area, but many farang muslims, as they have a muslim temple close to my hotel.

The area is known for having many muslims and also some africans. The Nigerians captured were christians though. The mall had surprisingly few farangs, so this is not an area tourists usually stay.

Konying:

I couldn`t answer your post so I had to start a new one:

Of course they have a database of names. That is why they can release people who have a valid visa the same evening.

And yes, it was absolutely random. No question about it. I talked with the officer in the car a long time.

Most of the people apprehended, were Nigerians. About 7 or 8 of them were brought in, together with 3 Europeans. I was apprehended outside a mall, just on my way to my hotel. I guess they had room for one more in the car, and I was the lucky one.

I dont look suspicious in any way, but have a normal north European look.

First report you have heard of maybe. That is why I write this report. Others confirming it are maybe still at the IDC.

You see again it does not add up.

Not questioning your experience but more about your assertions.

Again if database existed you would not be asked for passport.

You say you were on your way back to hotel, so you were staying in hotel which by law reports people.

Again , I do not believe it was random, but very possibly hotel submitted notification and immigration picked up on it and very possibly they were on the way to your hotel.

It's all a speculation of course and I certainly would not believe everything officer told you

As ATF said regarding the driving licence but yes he meant a Thai one. The Thai licence has your passport number on it with your photo, name and date of birth.

Very easy then for immigration to check you out.

• Like 1

No I didn`t. I lied at check-in, and told them I was going to pick up a new passport at my embassy the next day. Just showed them my thai drivers license. I knew the risk of exposing myself.

They had no reason to doubt that, and everything went well at check-in. I stayed there for a couple of days.

They got your name and passport number off the Thai driving licence.

Did you have your Thai licence with you when you were arrested by Immigration?

As ATF said regarding the driving licence but yes he meant a Thai one. The Thai licence has your passport number on it with your photo, name and date of birth.

Very easy then for immigration to check you out.

Sorry, my mistake. I showed an international driver`s licence, with name only.

Again, there is no way this was not random. Because of the place I was apprehended, pretty far from my hotel, outside a mall. And also because none of the already apprehended people were staying at any hotel.

They also asked me were I stayed, when I asked them to take me to the hotel, so they had no clue where I was staying.

Edited by thaibreaker

You are required by law to carry your passport at all times. A copy is acceptable for the moment.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did you have to give details of your passport to purchase the ticket you carried with you (but no passport copy)?

Do not underestimate the official databases here - my partner went to the local cop shop to enquire about how she could get a copy of her divorce declaration from years and over 1000 kms away.

They printed it out within 10 minutes.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

Did you have to give details of your passport to purchase the ticket you carried with you (but no passport copy)?

Do not underestimate the official databases here - my partner went to the local cop shop to enquire about how she could get a copy of her divorce declaration from years and over 1000 kms away.

No spesific details of the passport on the ticket, just my name.

Agree about the databases. At least it would be wise to presume your name and data are registered.

No spesific details of the passport on the ticket, just my name.

Agree about the databases. At least it would be wise to presume your name and data are registered.

Immigration's database has your name, date of birth, passport number and info about it, your arrival card number and a history of your entries, departures, extensions and etc. It will even have the history from a previous passport if you get a new one.

Depending on how common your name is, matching people purely on name and date of birth is not as easy as it might seem. There are a surprisingly number large number of people who share the same name and date of birth even with European names. Don't even try if some of the people you want to match have surnames like Patel or Lee! Many years ago I heard of a verifiable incident where an innocent woman was dragged from her car by a SWAT team because she shared the exact same name and date of birth as a criminal who was known to be armed and desperate.

It is possible the immigration officer is presented with a number of potential matches in quite few situations and is left to make their own decision. Obviously photos from previous entries helps to identify people but people are notoriously bad at recognising faces when it becomes a repetitive task. Fingerprints as used in Malaysia (and proposed in Thailand) are a much better but I believe that real time finger print matching is still a way off (remember CSI scenes shows when they are waiting for a match). I'm sure someone will correct me on that last point if I'm wrong but please only if you actually do know the facts.