My experience at IDC for overstaying

I just have to say briefly; there are SO many things I deeply respect about Thailand, and Thai culture. I respect their customs and the people dearly.

But that being said, their visa/immigration policy seems totally messed up these days. For example, after years of world travel, I can say that no other country on earth changes the policy so frequently that a whole forum of announcements is needed just to keep up each new week. They have the right, but it's not very organized. In this case, the OP knew he was on overstay...I get that part.

But my point is, when you read the OP, he's clearly a decent and intelligent guy. He says he's never worked in Thailand, and I believe him. He said he'd always had a visa before, but then couldn't get a new one, and needed to stay with his wife and child. He's the guy who can't get a visa? I believe him about that, because I've seen it; he's under 50.

First they said the reason for all this crackdown stuff, was the 'Russian gangs' - every day stories about the Russian gangs. Then, a few months later, they annoucne that all Russians have unlimited in and outs. So Russians are the greatest, the problem is the others. So then it's supposedly the illegal English Teachers working illegally, they're 'destroying the country'. Then they say 'Well, English Teachers don't panic...shhhh! It'll be okay for you.'

So, in the end, who gets thrown into a van, and put through a frightening hell? Who can't get a visa? The guy who just wanted to take care of his wife and child, and doesn't work illegally in Thailand. This is the aspect that makes no sense to me.

Of course he could have gotten a visa, it only takes one visit to a Thai embassy.

• Like 1

It is still no excuse to overstay for that amount of time, if someone is hungry is OK to go and rob a store?

If someone is so stupid that they overstay for that amount of time then they deserve everything that may happen to them. The rules and laws are in place for everyone if you do not like them then do not go to Thailand simple

I may have deserved it, can`t argue with that. But for me, not trying to stay as long as I can in Thailand, has not been an option.

I have a wife and a small kid here, and have stayed legally in Thailand for more than 10 years. But being under 50, and without the proper marriage paper, it has been hard to obtain visas lately. I went on overstay last year, after being denied new visas. I have never worked here.

People can overstay for numerous of reasons, don`t be too quick to judge. Now I have passed 50, and can finally get a vise for longer stay than just a few months. Also I can get a longer visa this time for being father to a child in Thailand.

I just have to say briefly; there are SO many things I deeply respect about Thailand, and Thai culture. I respect their customs and the people dearly.

But that being said, their visa/immigration policy seems totally messed up these days. For example, after years of world travel, I can say that no other country on earth changes the policy so frequently that a whole forum of announcements is needed just to keep up each new week. They have the right, but it's not very organized. In this case, the OP knew he was on overstay...I get that part.

But my point is, when you read the OP, he's clearly a decent and intelligent guy. He says he's never worked in Thailand, and I believe him. He said he'd always had a visa before, but then couldn't get a new one, and needed to stay with his wife and child. He's the guy who can't get a visa? I believe him about that, because I've seen it; he's under 50.

First they said the reason for all this crackdown stuff, was the 'Russian gangs' - every day stories about the Russian gangs. Then, a few months later, they annoucne that all Russians have unlimited in and outs. So Russians are the greatest, the problem is the others. So then it's supposedly the illegal English Teachers working illegally, they're 'destroying the country'. Then they say 'Well, English Teachers don't panic...shhhh! It'll be okay for you.'

So, in the end, who gets thrown into a van, and put through a frightening hell? Who can't get a visa? The guy who just wanted to take care of his wife and child, and doesn't work illegally in Thailand. This is the aspect that makes no sense to me.

Of course he could have gotten a visa, it only takes one visit to a Thai embassy.

No, I'm sorry but that is often not the case. It USED to be the case, but it hasn't been for a good while now. Sometimes it is for some people (and inexplicably, too), but for many people they hear an automatic 'no' if there are other visas in their passport already. Under 50, 'have before' (which is a very lose interpretation by different IO's) don't have a job that someone can understand in 2 seconds, no.

• Like 2

Read through the thread, the OP just wanted to inform TV readers of an bad experience about overstay without airing out the real dirty laundry... However, from a devil's advocate point of way, If not working in Thailand, how do you support yourself? Income must be coming from somewhere... Working online maybe or ... sometimes things just don't add up... That is what is sparking this thread...

However, the OP's message has been heard here on TV... Overstay crackdown... very plausible... just don't do it or anymore...

Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history.

This is an interesting development, thanks for reporting it and clarifying.

Did you get blacklisted or just sent on your way and allowed back in ? I suspect you would have no problems coming back to Thailand if you're not here already.

" Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history"

Then how come this place continues to be a haven for so many white-collar criminals, paedophiles and other undesirables that are on the run from their own countries? Surely it wouldn't be rocket science to add a notation to such database that a person is currently wanted or has escaped bail in their home country?

Maybe the home country has not filed with interpol. There are tonnes of paedophiles that live in and around every major city that go undetected, so unless they have an outstanding warrant with interpol -- that information is not available.

Yes, thank you. That maybe and maybe 1001 others. Some people live in such a perfect world they can't absorb what it is like for mortals....the workers that are building and forming this world. In his name, not ours.

Read through the thread, the OP just wanted to inform TV readers of an bad experience about overstay without airing out the real dirty laundry... However, from a devil's advocate point of way, If not working in Thailand, how do you support yourself? Income must be coming from somewhere... Working online maybe or ... sometimes things just don't add up... That is what is sparking this thread...

However, the OP's message has been heard here on TV... Overstay crackdown... very plausible... just don't do it or anymore...

Don't accuse people of lying everytime you can't imagine something You end up just projecting and assuming things that many times aren't true.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

I have always got tourist visa. it s easy to get a tourist visa. here my deepest secret how to stay legal....

1. show you have enough money to stay in Thailand, Thai bank account copies.

2.sign a letter you write stating that you don't work in Thailand and explain how you make money (investment in Europe, house your rent in UK, free government assistance because you are a schmuck who can not work or just lazy. ...)

3.enjoy your time in Thailand!

was it hard?

Edited by Digitalnomade

Hi All, back from Africa for a couple of weeks and 1 of the posts where I like to comment on.

He clearly describes the Immigration situation accurate, this is what will happen and is happen. I am a bit surprised that it is here somethings new that by middle of November Immigration drives around Bangkok, coming even to my Soi and seeing me sitting outside they stopped and asked for my Passport. No Overstay, no issue, at least that was in 1993 the case. had some chat with the Officers while on the back of the Pick up where 5 Guys sitting in the Sun and hand cuffed. My Lady talked a lot with the officers and after I got a fair clear understanding of what they are doing. Always a few weeks before high season starts, they do that. Driving around and by Random and as the one Officer explained it by experience. As he said People with Overstay behave differently when they see Police.

You can have an overstay of only 2 Days and when you het catched in a random control you go to IDC holding. So there are pretty clear rules. Overstay is a crime, which was handled in Thailand with leniency but will not longer be tolerated. Do overstay in Malaysia, Singapore and you are in real trouble.

If you make it to the Airport even with years of Overstay you just paid the fine, that is soon be history as well. The message they are sending out is very clear play by the Rules.

I had a nice chat on last Thursday when I extended for another 30 Days, and She has made it clear that I have to leave the Country on the said Day. The only thing what can hold it up and get extention would be in case of emergency, medical reason. Otherwise you will go to Court for overstaying, no Mercy granted.

I asked her if I could go to Laos for visa or if I need to go to my Home country. So Laos is an option which of course stays on the table on said date.

Dear Members of Thai Visa, please be clear with the fact that either on the Airport your passport is scanned and so is your picture and that is in the online data bank of the Immigration.

Your Address, phone number, so if they look in to the computer when they check on you, they know immediately if you are cleared or not. If you do not carry youe passport or copy with you then you go to the IDC, until sorted out, that is simple procedure.

Thanks for a great reading.

• Like 2

I had a nice chat on last Thursday when I extended for another 30 Days, and She has made it clear that I have to leave the Country on the said Day. The only thing what can hold it up and get extention would be in case of emergency, medical reason. Otherwise you will go to Court for overstaying, no Mercy granted.

You can still extend for 7 days paying Bt 1,900. That would be the very last one excluding medical or reason of justice.

@Ukrules. The last part of your post certainly makes sense considering the Police and quite possibly immigration are aligned with Thaksin and Yinluck. It would only make sense that they are trying to make the current government look bad. Very good post.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello, thanks for post.
I'm going to be soon in ICM, so he few questions:

1)  How you can bye a plane ticket to home if you cannot use any internet?
2) If you have cash with you (example 50 000 - 100 000 bahts), do police take them in own pockets like one lawyer warn (in some police stations, I don't know about ICM) and then you cant pay anything and be there forever
3) One lawyer said that some airplane company's don't take passengers from ICM. How you know who takes and who not (I'm going to EU -area).

Thanks for any help!

6 hours ago, VonDutch said:

Hello, thanks for post.

2) If you have cash with you (example 50 000 - 100 000 bahts), do police take them in own pockets like one lawyer warn (in some police stations, I don't know about ICM) and then you cant pay anything and be there forever
3) One lawyer said that some airplane company's don't take passengers from ICM. How you know who takes and who not (I'm going to EU -area).

Thanks for any help!

ICM? 

Do you mean IDC? 

In that case you could have not used Internet for this post in first place. 

You need your embassy to help you to buy tickets. 

You need to buy ticket to your home country with your national carrier when deported. 

6 hours ago, VonDutch said:

Hello, thanks for post.

Thanks for any help!

Your post is confusing. I think you are saying that you intend leaving voluntarily by air (without being arrested). In that case, you will not be incarcerated or deported. After paying the fine, and being blacklisted if appropriate, you will be allowed to go to your planned destination.