Fish dying, locals eating poisonous creatures in the face of cold

Lite Beer

Boggles the mind to read, year after year how the NE people and the government simply doesn't

know how to deal, and how completely unprepared they are to the cold season, I mean, com'on, is this the

first cold season you have experienced in your life? and every year the same story, people die,

people starve, shortage of blankets food, heating etc. etc..

when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life people of the north? here is a clue,

cold seasons will come every year round this time of the year, let's see the headlines next

year...

Remember...?

post-27134-0-74898800-1417345522_thumb.j

Hang on. I seem to remember the establishment telling farmers not to rely on technology and to rely on traditional (ie cheap) farming methods. Now they want aerators and bio extract juice (whatever that is). Don't think I've seen this bio extract juice at the local 7s or the Lao Kow shops up in Isaan? I have no idea what an aerator is too. And if you googled to show off...nor do youthumbsup.gif

"warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold. According to the office, consumption of the aforementioned is detrimental to health and may be fatal in some cases"

Warning for Thailand only. Other countries, Canada...Russia....Mai bpen rai....

I've always thought that drinking spirits improves the circulation and can prevent the extremities from suffering in cold weather.

The alcohol opens the capillary vessels allowing a better blood flow.

Sure you feel a little warmer for a while but it lowers your core temperature and you feel sleepy.

The alcohol also makes you sleepy.

If you are in a cold place,once your core temperature falls too low,you die.

A British man in his early 40's fell asleep on a pavement in the early hours of the morning on his way home after a drinking session.

He was found dead a few hours later.

A poster asked if 18 or 20C is cold.

I have lived in the south of Spain since 2000.

When I first arrived, I used to laugh at the locals in their fur coats, scarves and boots.

I don't laugh any more - I fly south to the warmer climate to the west of Bangkok.

A week ago in Spain I saw a Brit wandering round our city.

He was white as a sheet, wearing shorts and flip flops with a flimsy tee shirt.

He was obviously from the north.

I spoke to him and he said that it felt really warm to him.

It was 18C and I was wrapped up in a big warm jacket and looking forward to my escape south in a few days time.

An aerator is a long rod with sets of paddles fixed to it and they use a small engine to run it.

It splashes and throws the water in the air, thus adding oxygen. We see them all over where we are.

Ammonia is produced by the fish and it is very toxic to them.

The advice to stop feeding them is excellent.

It really is all about education and wages.

Time to post some compassion Chaps!

There are some excellent threads for Jokes.

Enjoy.

Edited by laislica

Boggles the mind to read, year after year how the NE people and the government simply doesn't

know how to deal, and how completely unprepared they are to the cold season, I mean, com'on, is this the

first cold season you have experienced in your life? and every year the same story, people die,

when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life people of the north? here is a clue,

cold seasons will come every year round this time of the year, let's see the headlines next

year...

They get blankets donated to them year after year, and year after year they do not have blankets when cold season comes, like it has come every year for 100s, if not 1000s of years.

I hate to say it, but some people are beyond help. Natural selection deals with people like this. And lets face the truth, they would probably already be gone if it wasn't for everyone else trying to help them. I don't wish that upon them, or anyone, but just stating the facts. You can not argue with the universe.

• Like 1

It would appear that many posters are ignorant of the fact that many elderly people 60 yr old and above only recieve 500 Baht Pension per month, and do not have any money for extra clothes, or warm bedding, and if they are too frail to go out to collect wood for a fire what are they to do ?. and yes it happens year after year and will continue to do so unless something is done about it.

I was under the impression that they are given blankets each year specifically for the purpose, and every year when the cold spell comes around again they are somehow without any blankets again. Seems they wear out the blankets in the few days/weeks of the cold spell.

year...

They get blankets donated to them year after year, and year after year they do not have blankets when cold season comes, like it has come every year for 100s, if not 1000s of years.

I hate to say it, but some people are beyond help. Natural selection deals with people like this. And lets face the truth, they would probably already be gone if it wasn't for everyone else trying to help them. I don't wish that upon them, or anyone, but just stating the facts. You can not argue with the universe.

.........they sell the blankets to buy poisonous creatures.

It would appear that many posters are ignorant of the fact that many elderly people 60 yr old and above only recieve 500 Baht Pension per month, and do not have any money for extra clothes, or warm bedding, and if they are too frail to go out to collect wood for a fire what are they to do ?. and yes it happens year after year and will continue to do so unless something is done about it.

The elderly that you mention seldom live alone, they are generally helped by their families.

To buy a blanket, which will last many years, is not the problem. The problem is traditional beliefs about some foods and drinks.

In Buriram, the public health office in Ban Kruat district is warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold.

So correct me if I'm wrong, alcohol consuming is ok above 20° C ???

clap2.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Alcohol,thins the blood,In cold weather,You bodys defence against the cold,is vastly reduced.The thai men in the village,Are to stupid to understand this,They think,because it is hot going down,it is warming them up. ,

I beleive something was lost in the translation. When something like food goes bad ... Thai say . Aharn per phit. Translated literally .. food has become poisonous.

The only thing wrong with your theory is that meat is LESS likely to go bad/become 'poisonous' the colder it gets.

I beleive something was lost in the translation. When something like food goes bad ... Thai say . Aharn per phit. Translated literally .. food has become poisonous.

The only thing wrong with your theory is that meat is LESS likely to go bad/become 'poisonous' the colder it gets.

We will never know unless we read the original Thai document. Be careful with those cane toads. Deadly stuff there dude.

Christmas is coming... and it's getting cold. Time for the candy cane toads.

Perhaps, like alcohol, certain toxins in poisonous animals also dilate blood vessels - making one 'feel' warmer - and increase heat loss leading to possible hypothermia? What ever the case, I'll stick to a good single malt scotch if I'm going to kill myself by being dumb.

year...

Gets cold in Europe every year too, and every year people die.

C'mon people of Europe, when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life ?