Petrol price why so high

i claudius

So many of the big money things in Thailand are run by cartels, thugs...

I can't tell you that's true of oil in Thailand but we do know who owns a lot of it.

The price of regular unleaded gas in Thailand is outrageous as are many other things such as seed, fertilizer and chemicals for farmers. There always seems to be someone with his snout in the trough.

Some blame the existing higher priced stocks, and say the price will come down when those are used up. But why should they if someone has control and can gouge people? Why have gas prices nosedived in my country but not budged in LOS?

I don't know why so any things are so darned expensive in Thailand exactly, but they sure are.

• Like 2

The govt. and PTT are pocketing the difference. At $4.50 to $5 a gallon, no one can convince me fuel is being subsidized. Quite the opposite. A lot of profit is being made. 95 should be about 20 baht per liter with Brent at under $70.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

The govt. and PTT are pocketing the difference. At $4.50 to $5 a gallon, no one can convince me fuel is being subsidized. Quite the opposite. A lot of profit is being made. 95 should be about 20 baht per liter with Brent at under $70.

Right - Gasohol 95 E10 is 20.3 Baht ex refinery, and 34.3 once all the taxes, levies and profits have been applied.

Funny to see US Americans write about fuel prices, only the Saudis could be more outraged about the "high" price in Thailand biggrin.png

You have absolutely no idea what high prices are!

And sure the prices have come down over the last couple of months and will continue to do so (like yesterday).

Regular petrol (no ethanol) has come down from about 50 Baht to nearly 40 Baht.

Price has fallen for E10 and E20 also.

Some price movements are triggered by changing tax/subsidy rules.

Maybe this is was the stupid mafia/conspiracy postings are about?

Yes there are countries that raise taxes.

And I can already hear the outcry when the diesel subsidy will be cut and the diesel price will finally rise about the subsidised limit of 30 Baht.

This is announced for the near future. Price will reach 36 or so then while petrol and E10/E20 might go down further.

Gas (LPG) will rise further as announced to more than 20.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

That was one thing I took into serious consideration before moving back, people saying how cheap it is/was to live there and it just didn't add up for me at the time gasoline was in the numbers you posted and now it is 2.70 per gallon here and still dropping almost daily. That is one major consumable that along with several others adds up very quickly.. We may be looking at only about .60 to .75 per gallon more than it was when I first left for Thailand 11 years ago in the 2.40 to 2.50 range the way prices are predicted to fall, but back then it was about 1.75 per gallon. It seems the Saudi's don't like how much oil were producing in the shale fields and wants to shut down some of the smaller competition so this may go on for quite a while hopefully. I feel like there is also a behind the scenes deal to break the Ruskies before they get any more cheeky, both the US and the Middle east can handle the drop in prices better then the Ruskies but at any rate they are predicting as low as maybe $45 per barrel in the coming months, I'll be one happy camper if that happens?

Edited by WarpSpeed

That was one thing I took into serious consideration before moving back, people saying how cheap it is/was to live there and it just didn't add up for me at the time gasoline was in the numbers you posted and now it is 2.70 per gallon here and still dropping almost daily. That is one major consumable that along with several others adds up very quickly.. We may be looking at only about .60 to .75 per gallon more than it was when I first left for Thailand 11 years ago in the 2.40 to 2.50 range the way prices are predicted to fall, but back then it was about 1.75 per gallon. It seems the Saudi's don't like how much oil were producing in the shale fields and wants to shut down some of the smaller competition so this may go on for quite a while hopefully. I feel like there is also a behind the scenes deal to break the Ruskies before they get any more cheeky, both the US and the Middle east can handle the drop in prices better then the Ruskies but at any rate they are predicting as low as maybe $45 per barrel in the coming months, I'll be one happy camper if that happens?

Yes, me too. And if they break the Russkies and put King Vlad out of business, my heart will not bleed. And Thailand is not cheap anymore. Reasonable, yes. But nowhere near cheap.

• Like 1

For cheap fuel I recommend Saudi Arabia, Venezuela or Iran if you care for.

I will stay here tongue.png

http://www.statista.com/statistics/221368/gas-prices-around-the-world/

PTT gasoline (no ethanol) is 40.76 Baht/l today.

USD is 32.8 THB.

1 Gallon is about 3.8 l.

Makes about 4.7 USD per gallon.

More than in the US but far from expensive compared to high price countries.

No UK folks on this thread?

My car drives good on E20 which is about 20% cheaper.

The "good old times" are over and I do not believe that the current low oil price is garantueed forever.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nothing is guaranteed forever but it will be around a while still, and i'll take it while lasts, it means a lot of money in the bank not being burned out my exhaust pipe. The lower it goes, the longer it will take to rise again too, it's a win win all around.

And I can already hear the outcry when the diesel subsidy will be cut and the diesel price will finally rise about the subsidised limit of 30 Baht.

What diesel subsidy? The only thing the gov't give diesel is slightly lower tax and levies wink.png

post-163537-0-19272000-1417413916_thumb.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

What diesel subsidy? The only thing the gov't give diesel is slightly lower tax and levies wink.png

attachicon.gifpricestructure.png

I think you'd better find out what you are talking about ....first look up the word subsidy.....

Didn't someone on here predict a drop in fuel prices not so long ago ,I think he lives in Ph uket & been around a million miles?whistling.gif

Yup , that would be me ;-)

Oh and it did happen actually , a month or so after I posted it . As described this was due to a meeting between the Junta and PTT.

I did reply at the time when in happened to all the naysayers to truck off :-).

This unfortunately is not anything to do with Thai politics just world markets so no breaking news from me :-).

Ps.

Over a million by now but thanks for remembering the post.

Lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think you'd better find out what you are talking about ....first look up the word subsidy.....

OK sure :)

According to google: "a sum of money granted by the government or a public body to assist an industry or business so that the price of a commodity or service may remain low or competitive."

In the case of prices in Thailand, it's the Oil Fund column in the image I posted. Negative numbers (e.g. E85) show a subsidy, positive numbers (everything else) show a levy, no?

• Like 1

OK sure smile.png

According to google: "a sum of money granted by the government or a public body to assist an industry or business so that the price of a commodity or service may remain low or competitive."

In the case of prices in Thailand, it's the Oil Fund column in the image I posted. Negative numbers (e.g. E85) show a subsidy, positive numbers (everything else) show a levy, no?

so you still don't get? Duh!

Wow! 61? w00t.gif I never thought you were THAT old? tongue.png You got me there by a few years. I was just a nursing baby in swaddling clothes that year, but I can remember a few years later specifically as they gave away little plastic cars (model T's and model A's) at the Hess station on the corner my mother always bought from and people say I'm crazy but I'm not, the gas price was between .22 and .25 per gallon..

Sorry WarpSpeed - mate !. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77vSjGtd I assume you took it with the friendly hummor with which it was sent. Tax (on everything) is the biggest problem here in England. Fuel is a bargain when there is no better alternative untill battery technology advances a big leap , which it will , but not for at least 5 years.