Seafood Restaurant Scam

cricketer

Yeah, this is a common tourist scam. \

In general, it is best to NEVER go anywhere recomended by a taxi. While some drivers will be honest and take you someplace good, many will take you to a rip off joint where they will get a big commission.

Additionally, it's also a good idea to never eat in a Thai restaurant that doesn't have Thai customers. If a tuk tuk drive takes you to a seafood restaurant and everyone in the place is a European tourist...you are about to get screwed.

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, this is a common tourist scam. \

In general, it is best to NEVER go anywhere recomended by a taxi. While some drivers will be honest and take you someplace good, many will take you to a rip off joint where they will get a big commission.

Additionally, it's also a good idea to never eat in a Thai restaurant that doesn't have Thai customers. If a tuk tuk drive takes you to a seafood restaurant and everyone in the place is a European tourist...you are about to get screwed.

I very rarely go to Thai restaurants any more, period. Virtually guaranteed to end up with bad guts through all that MSG and other unwanted nasties + obligatory disappointing service at any given point. Big surprise in Krabi recently, however, albeit the beer was off. Never mind.

You are not just paying for a Crayfish. There is the preparation and also an unlimited salad bar....and possibly a Starter and Dessert too. As stated, I don't think anyone has complained about not receiving a full sized lobster for 495 baht all inclusive.

Personally, I would not describe Cherry's as Gourmet, but for the price you cannot complain.

Yes, the 495B is for the full meal and it is edible and tasty. I cant imagine anyone complaining about being ripped off at that price.

A far cry from the "seafood by weight" places here which, as far as I know, are all overpriced.

Edited by KittenKong

There is lobster and then there is lobster. This is the Lobster Special at Cherry's.

Welcome%20to%20Gourmet%20Restaurant%20Ch

495 Baht, Monday night special. Very good value, had it a couple of weeks ago.

First rule of anyone visiting a restaurant.... caveat emptor

• Like 1

I will admit a mistake myself during my 2nd or 3rd night in BKK. I asked a tuk tuk to take me to a bar, and my first beer was definitely my last. it was only 200 baht or something plus 100 baht for something else, and the lady tried to force me to pick a girl. when i quickly paid and headed to the door, she picked up her stride and came after me. I literally ran for a minute and that was a good, cheap lesson. "stop him, have him pick a girl" was what i thought she said. of course, it might have been, "come back, you win 1 million baht." but i doubt that. if this was a karaoke place, i would likely still be in that place for random (i'm afraid to even enter those places).

Edited by puukao
  • Like 1

Strangely, just after we arrived there was a group of four Africans just finishing their meal and there seemed to be a problem when their bill came, the manager was with them for almost an hour, I think they sent one of them to get more money, they weren't happy. By this time our order had been made.

There was a large group of Chinese but they were eating inside, so don't know if they had a problem, near our table were two Chinese / Thai well dressed ladies, they paid and no problem.

Perhaps the restaurant have different menus to show different customers ? This restaurant is near Priyathai Hospital

• Like 1

Cant be his fault for making a poor choice and decision, OH NO, it must be the horrible natives scammimg me, yeah right, go tell it to someone who cares and dont exaggerate so much.

Another classic punter with champagne tastes on a beer income. letting your ambitions over rule your financial capabilities and then screaming "Scam" cos you lost your months hooker money on one meal...cheesy.gif...thats what you are really pissed about !

Edited by RolandRat

You can get a 2lb Maine Lobster at Morton's in Singapore for around $80 if I am remembering correctly.

This is Thailand not Singapore.

Correct you are, wool.

But doesn't that mean since Singapore is far more expensive than Thailand the post by farang stands as reasonable?

A timely warning OP as I will be in BKK in 10 days. Anybody recommend a seafood buffet hotel/restaurant place around the Silom area?

Look at them crab legs (no relation):

http://www.sofitel-bangkok-sukhumvit.com/en/voila.html

... diners can enjoy highlights such as a fresh seafood on ice with prized Fine de Claire oysters, Alaskan king crab, razor clams, assorted prawns, rock lobster, green lipped New Zealand mussels, and more. There are also delicious appetizers of Ricard gravlax, house-smoked salmon, Royal Project smoked trout and tuna tartare.
Edited by JLCrab

We were picked up by a taxi in Soi 4, my Thai girlfriend, who is does not know BKK well, asked the driver if he knew of any good seafood restaurants.

Yeah, that was your mistake right there "hello mr. Taxi Man, please take us to a restaurant of your choosing". ;-)

I thnk he's confusing the word scam with expensive.

No he isn't. That was an obvious scam. If they weren't scamming they would both put the weight policy in LARGE print, not tiny print and if they were decent they would be sure to verbally inform customers as well.

What percentage of their customers would stay for dinner if they knew the real price? I doubt very many.

For that price you could probably eat multiple times at the best restaurants in Bangkok, and it's obvious a scam operation like that isn't one of them.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Did you tip the hard working waiter?

20 baht sounds about right. coffee1.gif

I bet they have a really good "security" guy there to deal with the people freaking out about the bill ... maybe tip him too.

I bet the only tipping going on would be customers tipping the table over.
  • Like 1

No he isn't. That was an obvious scam. If they weren't scamming they would both put the weight policy in LARGE print, not tiny print and if they were decent they would be sure to verbally inform customers as well.

What percentage of their customers would stay for dinner if they knew the real price? I doubt very many.

For that price you could probably eat multiple times at the best restaurants in Bangkok, and it's obvious a scam operation like that isn't one of them.

Is it not industry standard for seafood to be quoted by weight?

Also, clearly this is a very high end joint. They would never advise their customer that stuff is priced per kilo, as this would risk offending their hiso customers who like to portray that they don't care how much they spend.

Is it not industry standard for seafood to be quoted by weight?

Also, clearly this is a very high end joint. They would never advise their customer that stuff is priced per kilo, as this would risk offending their hiso customers who like to portray that they don't care how much they spend.

The restaurant was not high end neither was it a shack, the menu was set out as if you were buying a Prawn dish, ect. Not a quantity. One of the Pawn dishes was looked like it was priced at B500 but reading the very small print, it meant B500 per 40g. For 200g worth of large prawns in a mid range Bangkok restaurant I thought B500 was OK but not B2,000

A timely warning OP as I will be in BKK in 10 days. Anybody recommend a seafood buffet hotel/restaurant place around the Silom area?

Look at them crab legs (no relation):

http://www.sofitel-bangkok-sukhumvit.com/en/voila.html

... diners can enjoy highlights such as a fresh seafood on ice with prized Fine de Claire oysters, Alaskan king crab, razor clams, assorted prawns, rock lobster, green lipped New Zealand mussels, and more. There are also delicious appetizers of Ricard gravlax, house-smoked salmon, Royal Project smoked trout and tuna tartare.

Thanks but looking for evening dinner unfortunately wai.gif