Bangkok: Free public transport service to become conditional and mean for the poor only

webfact

Free public transport service to become conditional and mean for the poor only

4-12-2557-10-57-40-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The transport minister said the study of the conditional free public transport service will be ready end of this month, and if it is endorsed by the cabinet, it will be in used in February next year.

ACM Prajin Juntong said he has assigned his deputy Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, who is also secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) to conduct study on the possibility of the state-run free public transport with intent to limit the free services to low income earners.

He said if study comes out and is approved, it will be enforced in February.

ACM Prajin had earlier stated if the free service could be restricted only to the poor, it could halve the budget subsidy for the two public transporters, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).

But he failed to explain how it will differentiate between users.

However there was a suggestion of coupon distribution to the poor.

Currently everyone can use the free-to-ride buses in Bangkok and some third-class trains

The free service is extended every three months by cabinet endorsement. The current extension expires on Jan 31

On Tuesday, the cabinet approved subsidies of 2.7 billion baht for the State Railway of Thailand and 1.9 billion baht for the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority from the 2015 fiscal budget to finance the free transportation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/free-public-transport-service-become-conditional-mean-poor

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-04

took one of these back from government complex immigration to victory monument. great old school ride with openi air windows. laughing at the smucks sitting in their ac taxi's along the way.

And they're probably laughing at the shmucks in the bus...

Maybe not so much in December, but come Hot season, I know which place I'd prefer to be.

• Like 2

How does one prove they are poor?

The article talks about "low income earners" at the start which is something completely different from "poor" people.

Being a low income earner might require the person to pay tax to start with which requires you to have a job and work for a boss.

People who have their own business (somtam seller, fruit seller, garbage collector, etc) or who are unemployed have no right on the free bus.

I already see a lively trade in bus coupons coming up.

Edited by Bob12345

How does one prove they are poor?

The article talks about "low income earners" at the start which is something completely different from "poor" people.

Being a low income earner might require the person to pay tax to start with which requires you to have a job and work for a boss.

People who have their own business (somtam seller, fruit seller, garbage collector, etc) or who are unemployed have no right on the free bus.

I already see a lively trade in bus coupons coming up.

Bob,

How are you?

Mate I used the term 'poor' because the articles uses that term too.

"ACM Prajin had earlier stated if the free service could be restricted only to the poor, it could halve the budget subsidy for the two public transporters, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT)."

I agree with your comments.

• Like 1