Issan (burriram)

macb

Regards good steak.

Just got back from Bangkok. Food Glorious Food on Sukumvit soi 70 something. Its an Aussie/New Zealand import place. Its a bit like the Harrods of bangkok supermarkets, definately on the expensive side. Has lots of NZ lamb and Aussie steak. I got 2 sirloin and 2 ribeye steaks to try. Hope they were worth the cost.

Also on Soi39 is a place doing imported gas BBQs. High quaility ones. Got a 2 burner one for 9,900. Website is bbqthai.com Has some showrooms around Thailand. Assembled it yesterday, good instructions, nothing missing, top quality and as a bonus, it works. Could well be Aussie steaks being done as a trial tonight.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NEWS UPDATE AND WEATHER

Was on the Big "C" site today as the Sister -in -law was after a job, it is looking good (I have just sent another email to Big 'C' to see if they are ready to release a date this time I will let you know) It was a hive of industrial goings on :

Also went on the Makro site (All the vacancies are now full out of interest) There Grand opening is confirmed by there Security as Tomorrow.

We have been getting some showers at night, and more fertilizer has been added to the rice crop:

Here's your weather outlook

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=33

Auto and Pick Up Truck Rental in Buriram: Today as I picked up the wife and her sisters from a shopping trip at the Makro I noticed an automobile and Pick Up Truck rental agency directly across the street from Makro. The signs were in Thai and English. 044-690174 is the phone number on the sign. I am not sure if they will bring a vehicle to the Buriram airport but for those looking to rent a vehicle in Buriram province it would be worth a phone call as the "fleet" looked somewhat current.

Has anyone had dealings with this agency?

My wife was smart enough to read the sign that is only in Thai at that Makro (but English and Thai at Big C) stating how you in fact can purchase 2 cases or more of alcohol during the "dry" time periods. I can not purchase a single bottle of wine, but 2 cases or more of whatever alcohol no problem. Not for the "Issan is turning me into a boozer", just a comment on the fact that getting translations of signs can make life easier.

Auto and Pick Up Truck Rental in Buriram: Today as I picked up the wife and her sisters from a shopping trip at the Makro I noticed an automobile and Pick Up Truck rental agency directly across the street from Makro. The signs were in Thai and English. 044-690174 is the phone number on the sign. I am not sure if they will bring a vehicle to the Buriram airport but for those looking to rent a vehicle in Buriram province it would be worth a phone call as the "fleet" looked somewhat current.

Has anyone had dealings with this agency?

My wife was smart enough to read the sign that is only in Thai at that Makro (but English and Thai at Big C) stating how you in fact can purchase 2 cases or more of alcohol during the "dry" time periods. I can not purchase a single bottle of wine, but 2 cases or more of whatever alcohol no problem. Not for the "Issan is turning me into a boozer", just a comment on the fact that getting translations of signs can make life easier.

Hi Kamalabob2

Status report on Makro please, as big or bigger than Surin, under cover parking?

TBWG :D

PS any upper limit on how many cases of booze you can buy :o

I went inside the Makro last Thursday just prior to the official opening and in a quick glance, but not a "walk about" it seemed as large as the Surin Makro. Today I only was the driver and I did not venture into this establishment. There does not appear to be a limit to Alcohol Purchases at Makro other than how much you can over load the pick up truck. Perhaps some of the Forum members who have had the pleasure to shop in the new Buriram Makro can give a better assessment of the size. It does have covered parking. Twickets (Big K in the same older Center as Power Buy) also has a new covered parking rows with fresh paint and they had a full front parking lot Sunday.

My wife was smart enough to read the sign that is only in Thai at that Makro (but English and Thai at Big C) stating how you in fact can purchase 2 cases or more of alcohol during the "dry" time periods. I can not purchase a single bottle of wine, but 2 cases or more of whatever alcohol no problem.

The alcohol rule is not with regard to the number of cases but the quantity.

The requirement is a minimum of 10 litres, which would be 2 cases of large beers (1 bottle beer 630/640cc). But if whisky, Mekhong or Sang Som, each large bottle being 70/75cc, then sufficient cases to reach 10 litres would be required. Once you have your 10 litres you can have individual botles of anything else you want.

My impression of Makro after today's visit

Well we went to Makro about 11-00 am is was very busy with plenty of Security on duty to help with customer parking, the parking is under cover there is plenty of room.

Once inside, well obviously up-grades to stores take place i.e. new ideas etc. about display and layouts and storage: On entering card not needed we have a card for Surin I assume this will suffice next time , the first thing I noticed different was the storage in store more storage racks and far more produce in store.

The store in my opinion is similar design and layout to Surin but adjustments have been made for the better, I diddnt get time to look around the electrical and computer side as the wife and daughter were with me but I anticipate a trip on my own later this week for a better look.

At the rear of the store on the left are beer and soft drinks prices looked good as well, then into the veg dept again a lot of variety also farang type vegetables :

The difference being here you can walk through at the rear into the fish dept well thought out I think, then through into the meat, then freezers full of all sorts.

Then the usual racks of this and that but plentiful, front right of the store is the pharmacy supply dept, then something different to Surin they have a bakery dept cakes aroi mak bread well laid out.

Check outs seemed easy to negotiate and on the way out there are the ATM'S.

I was impressed this certainly is a big boost for Buriram and of course the local traders wanting supplies.

Weather up-date 19-09-07

Last night big rain and today big rain, suddenly the rice fields are full of water and the rice is moving in the right direction :

Temp in the house 29 c ( 1908 hours)

Hi Mac

Has the torrential rain I have read about hit Buriram area?

TBWG :o

Hi mate :

Well we certainly have had our fair share of downpours today has been overcast with sunshine: Wednesday night it rained all-night persistently and during the day: But yes the rice crops are looking healthier now : This morning was cooler as well 26 c in the house, as the rain had cooled of the bricks and cement Storage heater. (Well thats what our houses remind me of a huge storage heater)

LOTUS in Prakhonchai??

A large plot of land is being cleared in Prakhonchai just west of the traffic lights on the Khorat road. Local rumour is that it will be a Tesco-Lotus.

This would make sense. There is clearly no room for a Tesco in Buriram, and yet there is a void between Surin and Khorat. They are shortly to open a branch in Det Udom (an insignificant town), obviously to capture the surrounding market. Prakhonchai would do the same capturing shoppers from Ban Kruat, Nang Rong, Nongki, Prasat and also Buriram itself.

Just hope that if they do open they will have learned from their mistakes at Surin, and open a full hypermarket, complete with bakery.

LOTUS in Prakhonchai??

A large plot of land is being cleared in Prakhonchai just west of the traffic lights on the Khorat road. Local rumour is that it will be a Tesco-Lotus.

This would make sense. There is clearly no room for a Tesco in Buriram, and yet there is a void between Surin and Khorat. They are shortly to open a branch in Det Udom (an insignificant town), obviously to capture the surrounding market. Prakhonchai would do the same capturing shoppers from Ban Kruat, Nang Rong, Nongki, Prasat and also Buriram itself.

Just hope that if they do open they will have learned from their mistakes at Surin, and open a full hypermarket, complete with bakery.

Just to add to your statement Nick, I live half way between Prakhon Chai and Prasat and there are several Expat's in this locality. We have an Englishman who runs a local store not far away, we call him "Andy-MiniMart" and he caters for the local Farang needs, Heinekin, tonic water etc and sells the cases wholesale to us. Anyway I visited him just 3 or 4 weeks ago to stock up and he jokingly mentioned in passing that he hoped the guys would continue to support his store when Lotus opened in Prakhon Chai!!!!!!! I took it with a pinch of salt at the time, but I have also seen the large clearing they are making in your site description, so maybe it is a fact............ and like you said......... let's hope for the bakery too.

PM me, we will have to get together sometime.............RayBan :o

hi there fellow buriramers....Been following this forum for a few yrs now and decided to join and let you all know my little story,jason is my name iom 38 i live just outside manchester ashton under lyne if any of you know it,6 months of the year may to oct-then nov to may,in the village,im about 15 km from nongki,the small town before you get to nang rong,the main traff lights tek a left and just follow the road for 15 kms,then the 1st left you drive down into nong wah...**** its good been here 5 yrs now when i 1st came there was 1 german,real character in his 70s always wasted on the chang we became mates,loved the place that much built a house then bang.now there 18 farang here, about 10 english from bolton- warrington- liverpool- london,few swedes,americans,norwegians-and we have one hel_l of a time,we are all here about the same time so we have great chritmas times go to each others house barbies holidays,its a top village,ive been around a bit in thailand and into a lot of villages but never seen out on the same scale as ours,we are even having english pub named signs now for the shops it soon will be a farang siteseeing village im sure in the future,theres about 80 houses and everyone of them as a farang connection,theres always something happening,i arrive back in november,and cant wait to get back to the village,pattayas great for a blowout or bangkok after 3 days im bored there, the real funs in the village,i get great pleasure for reading all your letters,and respect to you all who live here full time,if anyones close to nongki get yourself down over christmas..for a few beers.....

hi there fellow buriramers....Been following this forum for a few yrs now and decided to join and let you all know my little story,jason is my name iom 38 i live just outside manchester ashton under lyne if any of you know it,6 months of the year may to oct-then nov to may,in the village,im about 15 km from nongki,the small town before you get to nang rong,the main traff lights tek a left and just follow the road for 15 kms,then the 1st left you drive down into nong wah...**** its good been here 5 yrs now when i 1st came there was 1 german,real character in his 70s always wasted on the chang we became mates,loved the place that much built a house then bang.now there 18 farang here, about 10 english from bolton- warrington- liverpool- london,few swedes,americans,norwegians-and we have one hel_l of a time,we are all here about the same time so we have great chritmas times go to each others house barbies holidays,its a top village,ive been around a bit in thailand and into a lot of villages but never seen out on the same scale as ours,we are even having english pub named signs now for the shops it soon will be a farang siteseeing village im sure in the future,theres about 80 houses and everyone of them as a farang connection,theres always something happening,i arrive back in november,and cant wait to get back to the village,pattayas great for a blowout or bangkok after 3 days im bored there, the real funs in the village,i get great pleasure for reading all your letters,and respect to you all who live here full time,if anyones close to nongki get yourself down over christmas..for a few beers.....

Welcome aboard Mr Jay :

Well, I'll spend the next few months hanging out in the Putthaisong area. So if you folks see a slightly confused and sunburned scandihooligan in tow after local lass, in this area, don't be a stranger. I bark very little and never bite. :D

Likewise I hope you don't jump out of your shoes and run away if I manage to overcome my natural nordic shyness and say hello first. :o

Hi all

Signs around Buriram over the last couple of days. Big C background with a large 11 on it. Havnt had the missus with me but I guess it is opening 11th next month. Like the new Macro. Fresh french bread and bake your own bread rolls. Very good frozen and veg sections too. Combination of that and Big C will be a huge boost to Buri Ram. Any bets on when Tweeket will close. Good riddance to a badly run shop. I just feel sorry for the people that work there.

Perhaps not October for Big C opening. I was not with my wife and I do not read Thai, but I compared the "Month" symbol on the sign for Big C and it does not match the October Month symbol on my Thai drivers license. Perhaps one of the Buriram Province Forum Members who read Thai or have their wife with them can verify which month Big C will open.

BIG 'C' GRAND OPENING

Okay folks well I sent an email off as you know but not a reply as yet, but however on the way to Buriram the wife saw a sign and told me the above Grand Opening is on the 11th October 2007

So there we go get you wallets ready :o

Perhaps not October for Big C opening. I was not with my wife and I do not read Thai, but I compared the "Month" symbol on the sign for Big C and it does not match the October Month symbol on my Thai drivers license. Perhaps one of the Buriram Province Forum Members who read Thai or have their wife with them can verify which month Big C will open.

Hi KamalaBob2

Better check that licence again, I have a feeling it might have expired!!! :o

TBWG:wai:

TBWG

This post here reflected that we were getting some big rain but since then only showers (I should have related the downpour to the typhoon sorry)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1574880

According to the outlook participation percentages have dropped to about 30 % where they were uttering 80 %, now doesn't that sound knowledgeable :o