Are there any mexican restaurants in Pattaya

Me Yank

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

There are a few weak attempts at Mexican food. They all fail miserably.

I love Mexican food but do not eat the stuff served in Pattaya.

(The only exception is the Fajitas served at Frasers in Jomtien.)

There are a few places in Bangkok that are very good.

LaMonita.

Tacos & Salsa (the salsa costs extra!).

Sambroso Mexican Grill by Jorge.

Edited by CarlTyson

No.

There are a few weak attempts at Mexican food. They all fail miserably.

I love Mexican food but do not eat the stuff served in Pattaya.

(The only exception is the Fajitas served at Frasers in Jomtien.)

There are a few places in Bangkok that are very good.

LaMonita.

Tacos & Salsa (the salsa costs extra!).

Sambroso Mexican Grill by Jorge.

LaMonita is the best Mexican food I had in Thailand by far! Great strong drinks to!

Sadly, in Pattaya (and really, all of Asia to the best of my knowledge) you can't find even decent "Mexican food." Yes, Pattaya has a few Mexican restaurants. But you added that you want "good" food. So, IMHO, you are out of luck. The closest to "decent" is La Monita in Bangkok. And on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), in comparison to what I used to eat in the southern States of the USA, La Monita ranks about 2 (they do try........give them credit for that).

It continues to amaze me that you can't find really good Mexican food in Thailand. With the possible exception of La Monita in Bangkok (and I am guessing Miguel's in Chiang Mai because I have not eaten there but respect the views of Ulysses G.), the owners/managers of the "Mexican" restaurants refuse to use the proper ingredients and seem to know almost nothing about how to cook proper Mexican food.

To me, giving the current Mexican food situation, I would love for Taco Bell to come over here. At least we know what we are going to get (a strange version of Tex-Mex) at a fair price. I actually miss Taco Bell :) But do not let that fool you. I know what really good Mexican food taste like. I miss it!

Not in Pattaya but a long time friend of mine owns a bar in Ban Chang and serves great Tex-Mex. He was raised in the Rio Grande Valley and knows his food.

The bar is called: Beaver Bar and is located on the street of farang bars near downtown.

Shouldn't be too hard to find if you are interested in getting good food.

Go early and try his home made biscuits and gravy for breakfast, Tex-Mex for lunch and chicken fried steak for dinner.

Roll yourself out the front door and waddle home.

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of is not enough North Americans here (tourists and residents) needed to create a critical mass of people who know what the food is supposed to taste like willing to pay the price for decent Mexican food.

Contrast to Indian food in Pattaya ... there are enough people who demand decent Indian food here and we have decent Indian food here.

Talking about actual South Asians, not Brits looking for British Indian.

To me spending money for Mexican food in Pattaya is just a waste of both the money and the stomach space.

I have heard some people say it's good enough to roughly satisfy a craving but I have not found it so.

Sunrise (before it closed) sometimes somewhat did that for me ... not suggesting it was ever great because it wasn't ... but now that's gone.

For tourists looking for good food, I'd say forget Mexican in Pattaya ... period ... there is really good food on offer here, enjoy that, but it's not Mexican.

Edited by Jingthing

I think one reason is cheese is expensive here.

I totally disagree.

You can get serviceable pizza here in Pattaya easily.

Cheese also is not as important in ACTUAL Mexican food as many people think.

That's more of a Tex-Mex thing.

Nothing wrong with good Tex-Mex of course, but again totally not buying the cheese theory.

You can't even get BASIC Mexican things here like good tortillas, good salsas, etc.

Why could not the Taco House restaurant on soi Bukow make it here?

The food was not bad at all for Thailand.

And the price was modest..

They were only open 3-4 months ....Why

Because only long stay farang give a crap about Mexican food in Thailand and they

could not support even this one tiny restaurant..

The only reason I can think of is not enough North Americans here (tourists and residents) needed to create a critical mass of people who know what the food is supposed to taste like willing to pay the price for decent Mexican food.

And you can not spice Mexican food with Thai chillies...

• Like 1

And you can not spice Mexican food with Thai chillies...

Jalapenos are grown in Thailand but weirdly the ones I buy here rarely have any kick.

Possibly the bigger ingredient sourcing issue is MASA corn.

More profoundly: MEXICAN CHEFS!

There is the economic issue.

For the core base of people who really know what the food is supposed to taste like (mostly North Americans) they are used to it being kind of a lower priced option back home. To do it right in Thailand, it really can't be a lower priced option. That wouldn't be viable.

No, it wouldn't have to be super expensive, but cheap and good Mexican in Thailand, NO PUEDE!

Edited by Jingthing

Tiggle Bitties Tavern, 3rd Rd. Soi 17 (Soi Land-office), South Pattaya

was recommended by my Californian friends. The boss, who is a Thai lady, lived for a couple of years in Los Angeles and learned to cook Mexican food, there.

However, my favorite Mexican restaurant is located in the East side. A little away, at the East lakeshore of Lake Maprachan, about in the middle.

I forgot the name, but I guess that there is only one Mexican restaurant out there.

Maybe it's not 100% original Mexican, even though Mexican food is multifarious. Anyway the best place for my palate around here.

Sadly, in Pattaya (and really, all of Asia to the best of my knowledge) you can't find even decent "Mexican food." Yes, Pattaya has a few Mexican restaurants. But you added that you want "good" food. So, IMHO, you are out of luck. The closest to "decent" is La Monita in Bangkok. And on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), in comparison to what I used to eat in the southern States of the USA, La Monita ranks about 2 (they do try........give them credit for that).

It continues to amaze me that you can't find really good Mexican food in Thailand. With the possible exception of La Monita in Bangkok (and I am guessing Miguel's in Chiang Mai because I have not eaten there but respect the views of Ulysses G.), the owners/managers of the "Mexican" restaurants refuse to use the proper ingredients and seem to know almost nothing about how to cook proper Mexican food.

To me, giving the current Mexican food situation, I would love for Taco Bell to come over here. At least we know what we are going to get (a strange version of Tex-Mex) at a fair price. I actually miss Taco Bell smile.png But do not let that fool you. I know what really good Mexican food taste like. I miss it!

I hate to say it and it is just a guess, but I am guessing that Miguel's and La Monita are comparable quality-wise - even though I have never tried La Monita.

I usually describe Miguel's by saying that if I just walked into a Mexican place in San Francisco and it tasted like Miguel's, I would never go back, but I would not get angry either. It is the only Mexican restaurant I've been to in South East Asia or Australia that I can give that much credit.