Married + kid: What are my visa options?

I arrived on a 30 days visa exempt visa, but just recently got married and had a child. The 30 days expire mid December, so what are my visa options?

Can I start the marriage visa or is a Non-O visa required to start the process? (I do have the required 400K baht)

Can I get a visa extension at Chaeng Wattana, if yes, 1 week, 2 weeks or how long?

You could apply for a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. The 400k baht will have to be in an account in you name only. Your wife will need to go with you to apply and you will need all the documents required for the extension. Then about 45 days after you do the conversion you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife.

• Like 1

You can convert to a non-immigrant visa based on your marriage, but you must at least have 15 days left on your current permission to stay. So it seems you will not be able to convert with your current permission to stay. But you can get a 60 day extension first at 1,900 baht and then convert to a non-O visa at 2,000 baht.

You can go to the Thai consulate in Savanakhet, Laos, and apply there for a multiple non-O visa or a single non-o at any other Thai consulate in a neighbouring country.

You would need proof of marriage, signed copy ID-card wife, signed copy household registration wife, copy of bankbook and a note from the wife

• Like 1

Thanks gents, this is great news.

A shame I passed the 15 days requirement, but the last few weeks have been a bit hectic.

Does the below sound like the right plan forward:

1. Go to Chaeng Wattana tomorrow with wife, wife's ID, blue house book, marriage certificate, bank book and passport to apply for 60 days extension.

2. Within the next 30 days apply for a one year extension

You can apply for 60 day extension and apply for the conversion during the same trip to immigration.

Paperwork wise it would easier to apply for a 30 day extension and as soon you have the stamp apply for the conversion.

• Like 2

You can apply for 60 day extension and apply for the conversion during the same trip to immigration.

Paperwork wise it would easier to apply for a 30 day extension and as soon you have the stamp apply for the conversion.

Dear ubonjoe, sorry to ask here, didnt find to start a new topic,

on arrivel on Suvarnabhumi they used my t visa which I wanted to use on my 2nd arrivel on 26th december,

( meantime will leave for 15 days to Nepal )

Officer told me i have to use the Visa on my first entry into thailand and he can't give me an extension on stay if i have a visa in my passport,

( in Vienna on Embassy they didn'zt give me a dual, as they said for the first short stay 15 days i can get the extension ! )

But officer told me i should take a re-entry permit before i leave;

Is this correct that i can get a re-entry permit on a T visa ?

and where can i do this now ? in bangkok Chanf wattana,

or just on airport when I leave ?

how long it will take it on airport and where ?

Thanks

Dear ubonjoe, sorry to ask here, didnt find to start a new topic,

on arrivel on Suvarnabhumi they used my t visa which I wanted to use on my 2nd arrivel on 26th december,

( meantime will leave for 15 days to Nepal )

Officer told me i have to use the Visa on my first entry into thailand and he can't give me an extension on stay if i have a visa in my passport,

( in Vienna on Embassy they didn'zt give me a dual, as they said for the first short stay 15 days i can get the extension ! )

But officer told me i should take a re-entry permit before i leave;

Is this correct that i can get a re-entry permit on a T visa ?

and where can i do this now ? in bangkok Chanf wattana,

or just on airport when I leave ?

how long it will take it on airport and where ?

Thanks

It is solely up to the immigration officer on entry as to whether he will give you a visa exempt entry (not an extension) instead of using your visa.

You can get a re-entry permit for your 60 day permit to stay from your tourist visa.

You can get it a Chaeng Wattana immigration at any time now.

I assume you will be leaving from Suv (bkk) for your trip to Nepal. The re-entry permit desk is just before the normal departure immigration (not fast track) area. The fee will be 1200 baht. They will do the form, photo and copies for you. It should not take but 15 or 20 minutes to do it.

Gents , quick question rather than opening a thread , can a Non Im spousal O be changed for dependency visa (I have custody of my kids) when the spousal O expires , or do I have to go out and start again with a 90 day O and extend

Gents , quick question rather than opening a thread , can a Non Im spousal O be changed for dependency visa (I have custody of my kids) when the spousal O expires , or do I have to go out and start again with a 90 day O and extend

No sure what you have now. Do you have a visa from an embassy or consulate? Or do you currently have an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If an extension you can change the reason to being the parent of Thai if you are no longer married. You would need the divorce decree granting you custody to do the change.

You can change the reason of stay to taking care of your children but must be divorced.

Question is what do you have? A non-O visa or an extension of stay from immigration. if an extension of stay from immigration, the day you divorce you have to cancel your permission to stay and apply for an extension based on taking care of the children

Thanks Gents , I have a 1 year Multi entry O on the basis of marriage, I have to go out/in every 90 days. I have full legal custody of my children and am divorced from their natural mother , however I married another woman and live with her and the kids. I got the one that I have because it was easier for me to get and carry on working , whereas with a 90 day O and extension I would have had to stay in Thailand for 2 months before extending to a year. Probably have more time this time round so not having to go out/in would be more convenient

Pretty easy actually from my experience. An 'O' (read marriage) can initially only be applied for, quote "outside the Kingdom". It really is dependent upon your location, in my case Nong Khai and close to Vientiane (Laos). Gather your missus, appropriate paperwork - marriage cert, bedroom/house photos etc and lodge at an outside country Thai Embassy/Consulate. In my case an overnight stay for collection of your 90 day visa. Yes, 1900B. Nearing the end of the 90 day period you attend your local Immigration office and can then apply for your 12 month 'O' visa.

Important! Being married does not mean you are restricted to an 'O' visa. I attended Immigration Nong Khai following my initial 90 day period and the lady I dealt with suggested that as I had previously had an 'OA' - read 'retirement' visa, "then why not stick with that - it's easier". I did just that, and two married mates have changed from an 'O' to an 'OA' (retirement) visa purely for the simplicity. Money, of course, is a consideration. The financial requirement is less with the 'O' visa.

Hope this assists.

Seems like the fastest pregnancy and birth on record. Met, married and had a child all during a 30 day visa on arrival?

'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread'

I'm sure it wasn't really like this, but time to slow down maybe

Act in haste - repent at leisure

It has all been well planned, I have just been working so much this year that I have neglected the visa part of the equation.

The bonus of being on equal time and working a lot is that I now have 3 months of dedicated family time with a little newborn. Truly an amazing time, as a first time parent.

I would advice you to ask directly at your immigration office. Conditions are different. I made and extended non-immigrant o visas in Bangkok, Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Prathom. Familiyphotos had only been required in Bangkok. The requested amount on a bankaccount is now 800k (here in NP) and a copy of the bankbook is not enough, I have to provide a letter of garantie from the bank.

I arrived on a 30 days visa exempt visa, but just recently got married and had a child. The 30 days expire mid December, so what are my visa options?

I think the best for you is to get a non-imm. 'O' multiple entry in Savannakhet Laos, It can be done in 2-3 days and you'll be all set for up to 17 months with it. No financial proof, pictures, witnesses, and come back again etc, just the trip.

• Like 1

Thanks Gents , I have a 1 year Multi entry O on the basis of marriage, I have to go out/in every 90 days. I have full legal custody of my children and am divorced from their natural mother , however I married another woman and live with her and the kids. I got the one that I have because it was easier for me to get and carry on working , whereas with a 90 day O and extension I would have had to stay in Thailand for 2 months before extending to a year. Probably have more time this time round so not having to go out/in would be more convenient

Since you are married, they will probablt want you to extend based on marriage.

There is no requirement that you are in the country for 2 months in order to get the extension. The money in the bank acocount however must be there for 2 months.

What is required of you is that you are in the country when you apply for the extension. This can be 30 or 45 days before your permisison to stay end. When you apply you will get a under consideration stamp and need to return to immirgaiton 30 days later to get the final approval for the extension. It is important that you are in Thailand on that day, as otherwise the extension will be denied. But you cna leave and re-enter Thailand in the mean time (with a re-entry permit).

TerryLh g'day mate. With respect, my description of the process and requirements I outlined are actual insofar as they applied to me: That is, factual. I note that you fail to nominate the inaccuracies which doesn't particularly help anyone who may be interested. Cheers

Your experiences will be factual, but you are using incorrect terms when you describe what you went to.

For instance a non-O visa is not a marriage visa and can be granted for many reasons.When you go to immigration you get an extension of stay based upon a reason, your friends didn't get an O-A visa.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Since you are married, they will probablt want you to extend based on marriage.

There is no requirement that you are in the country for 2 months in order to get the extension. The money in the bank acocount however must be there for 2 months.

What is required of you is that you are in the country when you apply for the extension. This can be 30 or 45 days before your permisison to stay end. When you apply you will get a under consideration stamp and need to return to immirgaiton 30 days later to get the final approval for the extension. It is important that you are in Thailand on that day, as otherwise the extension will be denied. But you cna leave and re-enter Thailand in the mean time (with a re-entry permit).

Thank you , Originally , 6 months or so ago. I was aiming to get 90 day O and extend for 1 yr on the grounds of having custody of my children. At the time I was working in Malaysia and was under the impression that I had to spend 60 days of the 90 in Thailand before could get the 1 yr extension , which ruled itself out as I couldn't be absent from work for such a long time, so i got a spousal O in Penang instead. So if I re-apply for a new 1 yr extension of stay based on Marriage its just a case of applying through Thai immigration office. Probably going to be easier than getting the dependency O

You can convert to a non-immigrant visa based on your marriage, but you must at least have 15 days left on your current permission to stay. So it seems you will not be able to convert with your current permission to stay. But you can get a 60 day extension first at 1,900 baht and then convert to a non-O visa at 2,000 baht.

You can go to the Thai consulate in Savanakhet, Laos, and apply there for a multiple non-O visa or a single non-o at any other Thai consulate in a neighbouring country.

You would need proof of marriage, signed copy ID-card wife, signed copy household registration wife, copy of bankbook and a note from the wife

Hi Mario

What note from the wife is required?

I arrived on a 30 days visa exempt visa, but just recently got married and had a child.

Not trying to be a troll, but that is commendably fast work.

Haha. I know. I was wondering if he had time to squeeze in meal between the runway and becoming a father.

• Like 1

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a mixed experience getting the marriage extension visa. Got the 60 days extension in 20 min, with no questions asked (1,900 baht). Then Lined up and waited for 3-4 hours to change the visa, but was turned around as 3 documents were missing. Statement from Bank, copy (back and front) of my civil status and some other document from the Amphur. Had to return the next day (2,000 baht).

Now I got a 90 day Non-Imm visa and have to apply again to get the full 1 year extension. 5 visits to the Government Complex will be needed to complete the mission.

Bit sad that a site with Visa and Thai in the URL can't provide a comprehensive list of the documents required. Taking advise from the self-appointed experts here is like the blind leading the blind.

No statement from the wife was ever required.

It is borderline child abuse to drag a 2 weeks old kid 8 hours around different government offices, but maybe that is a good introduction to Thai bureaucracy.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

The 60 day extension is no questions ask and only a few documents. The 1 year extension requires a lot more preparation for your paperwork.

You were only given the list for the 60 day extension, and unfortunately not for the 1 year extension.