Married + kid: What are my visa options?

Bit sad that a site with Visa and Thai in the URL can't provide a comprehensive list of the documents required. Taking advise from the self-appointed experts here is like the blind leading the blind.

Really unfair for you to vent frustration to the work of volunteers here.

People of the like of Ubonjoe have no less of 1,000 postings each describing in excruciating detail all the required documents.

I'm really sure you can't find fault in these if you take the time to locate and read them.

Edited by paz

Bit sad that a site with Visa and Thai in the URL can't provide a comprehensive list of the documents required. Taking advise from the self-appointed experts here is like the blind leading the blind.

Really unfair for you to vent frustration to the work of volunteers here.

People of the like of Ubonjoe have no less of 1,000 postings each describing in excruciating detail all the required documents.

I'm really sure you can't find fault in these if you take the time to locate and read them.

Move over so I can stick my head in the sand next to you.

Anyway the information provided is incorrect an insufficient.

No statement from the wife was ever required.

What's sad is taking free advice from an anonymous forum instead of using your brain and ringing the Govt Department to find out the definite answers to your questions.

I think you're more disappointed in yourself than the folk here who try to help right?

No statement from the wife was ever required.

What's sad is taking free advice from an anonymous forum instead of using your brain and ringing the Govt Department to find out the definite answers to your questions.

I think you're more disappointed in yourself than the folk here who try to help right?

An anonymous forum with the magic words "visa" and "Thai" in the URL. If it was Joe-blows forum about bar hopping, I would have taken the advice with a grain of salt.

I feel rather proud of myself to have succeeded in getting the visa.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

It is simply not possible to provide a comprehensive list of the documents required.

Every different Immigration Office will have their own list of requirements.

Nothing to stop you asking your particular office what they want.

Surely it must be possible to make a master list of the requirements for the most common visa types, retirement, marriage, etc.

That some immigration officer then have a bad day and request an odd extra document, is properly the proverbial exception to the rule, rather than sharing incomplete information as is done now.

It is simply not possible to provide a comprehensive list of the documents required.

Every different Immigration Office will have their own list of requirements.

Nothing to stop you asking your particular office what they want.

Surely it must be possible to make a master list of the requirements for the most common visa types, retirement, marriage, etc.

That some immigration officer then have a bad day and request an odd extra document, is properly the proverbial exception to the rule, rather than sharing incomplete information as is done now.

• 1 month later...

Submitted my phone book stack of papers, the immigration officer spend another 30 minutes adding more forms in Thai. Everything checked out, passed the examination of the senior officer, passport was stamped and Non-O extension was approved.

Come back in 30 days for finally rubber stamp. Ohhhhh, but I will be back to work in 30 days and since the date can't be changed, the visa will be void when I do a no-show.cheesy.gif

First time was a good dry run and second time should be easier.biggrin.png

When do you have to go back to work?

There is good chance it will be ready before the 30 days. You should check on it before leaving.

I am leaving in 2 weeks. I did raise the issue, but they confirmed that the date was set in stone.

How to check? Is there a phone number or must show up in person?

The 30 days cannot be changed is what they meant not getting the extension stamp early.

Remember that if you do get the extension stamp before leaving you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid. A multiple re-entry permit costs 3800 baht.

You could try ceiling 0-2141-9889 that is the only number posted on their website.

If you don't get your extension stamp before leaving you might want to consider getting a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet instead of the extension.

I think paz was correct the first reply. Why not just get a non-O multiple entry from either Savannakhet or Penang? Paperwork is much more straight-forward and the visa is good for 1 year; each entry good for 90 days stay. (for consecutive stay, you can get up to 17 months). The visa costs 5000-5500 baht + the cost of travel; another 3-9k baht depending on how close you are to the border, and whether you use airplane or bus/train.

Your work requires you to travel frequently (you didnt mention this in the OP, i deduced it from later posts), i think a non-O multiple visa based on marriage/child would be an easier option.

Edited by 4evermaat

I think paz was correct the first reply. Why not just get a non-O multiple entry from either Savannakhet or Penang? Paperwork is much more straight-forward and the visa is good for 1 year (for consecutive stay, you can get up to 17 months).

Your work requires you to travel frequently (you didnt mention this in the OP, i deduced it from later posts), i think a non-O multiple visa based on marriage/child would be an easier option.

The visa only gives a 90 day entry. It would not give 17 months of consecutive stay it could give 17 months of total stay by getting a 60 day extension of the last entry.

I tried the number provided by joe, but it was a dead end.

They did seem to understand that I could not collect the visa on the set date and it was never suggested it could be ready ahead of time. Anyhow, it have been a good test run and will be easy to start the application process again. I usually stay 35 days in Thailand at the time and have done "visa on arrival" + one land "visa run" for years.

I was merely trying to be more legal, since I am now married, but the system seem to favor guys that just have to step down from the bar stole any day immigration wish so.

We got a passport to the little one, so the trips to Chang Watana was not entirely wasted.

You could try the hotline numbers 1178 or 1111.

Many people have been able to get the stamp done before the report back date. I suggest you make a trip to CW just before you leave to check on it.

I have gotten 7 of the extensions based upon marriage and certainly was not getting off a bar stool to get them. Your statement is insulting to many people.

With your work schedule the multiple entry non-o visa is your best option.

You could try the hotline numbers 1178 or 1111.

Many people have been able to get the stamp done before the report back date. I suggest you make a trip to CW just before you leave to check on it.

I have gotten 7 of the extensions based upon marriage and certainly was not getting off a bar stool to get them. Your statement is insulting to many people.

With your work schedule the multiple entry non-o visa is your best option.

Thanks for the numbers and try loosen up on the humor. No insult was intended. One time or the other we have all enjoyed a few moments on a bar stool.