Living in the Sierras

Great Wall - Forbidden City

Bryce Canyon

Krabi Islands

Grand Canyon

Many places New Mexico

Paris

• Like 1

I guess every place I have every been had its unique beauty. The 1 meter snowfall that made for a beautiful winter time scene went to hell when the wind blew it into a blizzard. A hurrican doees the same for those beautiful oceans that people love. Even the driest deserts have their beauty until that blasted wind gets to blowing 100 mph. I guess that the old saying ''beauty is a fickle fleeing thing '' applies to places as well as life.

Althogh ''home/family'' may be what most of us think of as beautiful

• Like 1

As a child Nigeria was magnificent at times, wonderfully bright dyed clothes of the ladies in the markets with their tremendous swinging breasts,definitely one of the 7 wonders of the world for a 6 year old,

Snowdonia and North Yorkshire mid winter- snowdrifts in fantastic formations, sometimes for weeks

Cornwall, Somerset and Devon on a beautiful summer's day, wonderful harbours, cliff walks and in places, beautiful stone cottages.

Connemara, the west coast coast of Ireland, rugged and independent, man is merely a dot on the landscape.

Massif Central, Loire Valley of France, magnificent scenery, chateaux, long straight roads with trees on either sides, as there are in many countries, always a bonus when driving( unless you're epileptic)

Krabi in the early 80s, stayed at Ao Pra Nang for 50 baht a night in Joy bungalows, still pristine then, Ao Nang had no concrete at all, just the Last Cafe, run by 3 brothers and one sister.

And of course Issan in the rainy season, verdant green in the day and at night a chorus of frogs and various insects with the spectacle of fire flies flitting to and fro.

As an aside OP, I think you should start a thread as to the worst places people have ever been to.

For me, the West Riding of Yorkshire in the early 70s takes the biscuit, it was nothing but power stations run on coal, coal slag heaps and terraced houses grimy with dirt and that terrible orange film covering the windows. ee bye gum I woz glad to get out....

Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada,

west coast of north America,

north central coast of Vietnam,

southeastern Alaska,

tuscan countryside,

the high tropical part of the road between Cochabamba and Chapare in Bolivia,

the Maipo valley in Chile,

the high desert in springtime in California,

the road between Albuquerque and Denver,

the Puncak Pass area of west Java...

other places too and you know as you feel the presence of something special and unusual...a street corner in one of the central districts of Paris, etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Sorry - wrong thread.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was recently touched by the view of the Edinburgh Viaduct and the road through the village beneath, but there was nothing particularly unusual about it.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

The Best:

Bradford

Luton

Detroit

The worst:

Florence

Rome

The Amalfi coast

Vienna

Amsterdam

Paris

London

Devon

Cornwall

Edinburgh

The Rhine

Berlin

Innsbruck

Saltsbruck

Bruges

Cairo

The Nile

About 30 Greek islands

New York

and many others..........

Or it's the other way around?

Edited by Costas2008

I still think that where your head is at affects how you perceive a special place...a place that would otherwise not be particularly special...

1969 on the 101 highway north of Salinas near the junction of the turn off to Monterey...early morning and me and a mate were dropped off by someone that had given us a lift from Santa Barbara and en route to meet up with other mates for Thanksgiving...traipsin' down the empty highway tootling on a harmonica and singin' Mississippi Fred McDowell's 'Highway 61'...19 y.o. and free as the wind...unforgettable....

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

experience has taught me to avoid beautiful and famous places as these quickly become the haunts of the most ugly people and i am not necessarily referring to outward appearance.

depence how you approach/explore those places...

if you like what you find there good for you. There are other options.

and then, conversely at the Grand Canyon in 1978 at sundown there was the middle aged woman that stuck her bouffanted and bespeckled head out of a recreational vehicle and spat at some associates: 'what's the big deal??? it's just a big ditch!'

she was obviously having a bad day...

that was a memorable time as another mate was staying at a ranch alone close by outside of Williams with her horse and her dog and I came out to visit...then one day I was on the crapper with a newspaper and I heard her screaming: the horse had kicked the dog in the head and then we piled into her pickup and sped to Flagstaff to get the dog treated...she is the gentlest person that I know but as she cradled her unconscious dog she said in a state of semi-shock; 'if my dog dies, I kill that f**kin' horse...' but the dog survived and I was relieved as she was my favorite dog; a big, black mean-ass looking mongrel but she loved me almost as much as she loved my friend, I useta hurl small logs for her to go and retrieve...

but the bouffanted woman and the dog incident didn't happen on the same day...my pal later got rid of the horse and I have been afraid of horses since then, it was an ungelded stallion that was trying to get to a mare in estrus...a huge violent animal...and she had owned a horse (not the same one) since she was a kid, in high school we used to go out to the stables and smoke dope and ride...

Mississippi Fred McDowell on one hand and a raging stallion on the other...but, we's cool...

The Best:

Bradford

Luton

Detroit

The worst:

Florence

Rome

The Amalfi coast

Vienna

Amsterdam

Paris

London

Devon

Cornwall

Edinburgh

The Rhine

Berlin

Innsbruck

Saltsbruck

Bruges

Cairo

The Nile

About 30 Greek islands

New York

and many others..........

Or it's the other way around?

you are a funny chap...Amsterdam...been many times but my memories....

Insbruck at winter times...amazing...

Berlin....a shithole...but great times...

Marmaris...one of my favorites

skiing in Bulgaria...great

Prague...great food,great beer and great...

fishing in Norway- unbeatable

Hungaria..wine,goulash and the girls...

Portifino...impressing but dam'n expensive...same as Thun

forgot Leipzig...24 years great/ and not so great memories- my hometown

Edited by Crazy chef 1

Zanzibar is quite nice.

Being up in the Shimba Hills above Mombassa in the early morning and seeing the antelopes and giraffes and nellyfants is rather nice too.

My town, Geneva, is just here. I have been told it is beatiful - but when you live somewhere you sometimes don't see its beauty.

• Like 2

Why has Bangkok not been mentioned?

BKK has some beautiful/wonderous places to see - it's not really a beautiful city.....or - a fun city to get around in.....

Not like a San Francisco or Paris - or even New York.....

BKK has some beautiful/wonderous places to see - it's not really a beautiful city.....or - a fun city to get around in.....

Yes I agree, was just putting it out there.

For me, Sydney harbour and surrounding beaches on a Spring morning does it.

Yes I agree, was just putting it out there.

For me, Sydney harbour and surrounding beaches on a Spring morning does it.

Thanks - forgot about that - Did the bridge walk overlooking the Opera house.....and topless beaches too !!!.....also saw sand and water.....

BKK and Jakarta are alike...in both places I can't wait to get off the street and into an air conditioned space...always reminded of heat, nausea and pollution...

but, that's not to say that both places don't have their own charm...most places that I've been in Asia are like that...I like the old quarter of Hanoi the best and where I useta live in Tay Ho is nice...

depends where yer heid's at...I was a miserable engineering student in SF and running my arse off in NY getting a work permit for saudi...but I've always enjoyed myself in Paris because I've only ever been there for pleasure...

Edited by tutsiwarrior