I want to rent a scooter and travel in thailand. Any major issues?

Just wanted to add that I have been in thailand a few days already and didnt get my IDP in USA.

I also read it is totally legal to not have IDP if from g8 and english license with photo.

Not to spoil my trip how much tea money do i need if I get stopped and cop illigeally tries to extort money for IDP?

Driving w/o a license is 100 baht, but they may shake you down for an extra 1 or 2 hundred. They'll give you a ticket which is a free pass for the rest of the day. But really, I wouldn't worry about it much. I've had one occasion where I was riding from my apartment to a shop two blocks from my house without a helmet. Cop stopped me. That's a 400 baht fine. He charged me 100 for not having a license (which I did have). Like anywhere else, there's good cops out there and bad cops out there. Some will work with you, some will attempt to extort tea money, others will give you a free-pass. Smile. Be friendly. That goes a long way.

Edited by connda

There are a number of issues here that need confirmation to enable your ' scooter touring trip ' around thailand.

People here don't normally use a scooter ... 125cc .. to travel big distances.

Having said that i'm not saying it can't be done but you would need confirmation on :

When hiring the scooter on a daily rate or monthly or whatever you need to get approval / confirmation that it used to travel to the north, south, east west or your choice area.

You need to confirm the insurance .... what is covered ? ... if someone steals the scooter in some remote location will the insurance pay for the loss to the hirer ? If someone hits you in a benz are you covered to repair there car & the scooter because if it's a thai driving which is most likely it will never be there fault. ?

Sounds like it could be fun .... be warned ... sort out the hiring & insurance issues thoroughly !! and not just verbal.

I am not familar with the licence requirement in thailand so maybe someone else can answer that one ...

good luck on the adventure ... wai2.gif also , if I were you , I would not go alone .. best to have two people when traveling especially from a safety point.

If you really are going down the 'scooter' route, get a Honda Dream 125. They are geared and built for various road conditions, like mountain driving. I've done 200k + trips with mine. An easy drive at 80 to 90 Km/H, good handling on curves and in the mountains. However, on the highways you need to drive on the shoulders with the 'small' bike, by law. If you have a 'full-framed' bike that can cruise at 120 Km/H, the cops aren't going to bother you, unless maybe you're in Bangkok. But that doesn't sound like your plan.

Personally, once I bought a full-sized 250cc twin-V, I stopped using the Dream except for city driving. All touring I did on the larger bike.

Edited by connda

Renting a bike/scooter and driving around Thailand…!

First I will say as poster #2, check that you are allowed to take the rented bike outside of the local area – most motorbike renters will probably not allow that.

Secondly I will say, that the traffic can be quite hazardous – especially when using the busy highways – so take care and use helmet for both your own safety and to avoid fines.

Also check what your insurance covers – your travel insurance, as the one coming with a rented bike normally covers next-to-nothing (often a maximum of 50k baht) – just in case.

An advice: Use other means of transport from place-to-place and rent a motorbike locally for getting around and sightseeing when you reach your various destinations. And if using a bike, is a question of cutting travel costs, you can travel (very) cheap by bus (and train) in Thailand.

Wish you good luck... smile.png

You will no doubt do what you want, but remember motorbikes are the lowest of the low in Thailand, they and their safety appear to be disregarded by all other motorists.

Now this is just plain wrong!! Everybody knows that pedestrians are the lowest of the low...then bicyclists. Motorbikes compete with dogs for No. 3 position.

• Like 1

I've toured for up to 3 weeks on a Honda Click (110 cc) and a Thai-style sidecar. I went from Hua Hin as far as Krabi and Phuket. Great fun, but don't try to do too many miles in a day.

I only got stopped once, because I didn't have my helmet on. When the police men asked where I had driven from they were totally impressed and let me go without paying.

If you do get stopped, your license is invalid and you're subject to 2-300 baht tea money.

Actually, driving with a side car is a great idea. The bigger you are on the road, the better.

sidecars are the most difficult bike riding there is. You need to be fully experienced to ride that rig and newbies to motorbikes shouldn't even think about it.

Anyone suggesting a newcomer to bikes consider it, especially in Thailand where the sidecars are rigidly welded to the bike frame must be mad!

• Like 1

Stay off the main highways, use secondary highways/roads don't let your mind wander for a millisecond, anything can happen at the worst moment, keep your gas tank full, sun visor and full face shield, dress with pants and long sleeves, leave early morning and arrive at destination early afternoon, plan for 200 km a day max, usually speed ends up being 60-70kmh or less. Whereabouts you planning on touring from and to?

• Like 1

Riding without an IDL might be a problem.

Getting lost in Thailand and taking roads you never dreamed existed is priceless.

My best trips were getting lost ones.

I always ride slow as I'm a photographer, always looking for something. 55 kph is my speed, to see Thailand not blow by it.

Edited by duanebigsby

Yes I've ridden all around from cha am to renong on a honda click, but my 2 pence worth is

Don't do more than 100-200k a day, whats the rush anyway

Don't drive when dark

Keep a few bottles of red bull handy, the bib will a lot of times send you off with a smile if you offer them one during a traffic stop. Well thats my experience anyway

Enjoy the ride...

Edited by kmj

I just wanted to say good tip about the Honda dream, I don't know what kind of selection I will have being that it seems it is high season now. In Philippines my favorite bike was a Honda wave for some reason.

That is also good to know if you get a ticket you are good for the day, I am from north east so I am used to paying high tolls anyway.

These are my plans, I actually decided to plan my trip when I arrived in Asia so that is what I am doing now. I'm in Bangkok right now but it seems very difficult to find a reasonable place to rent a scooter here. I can't find anything online and no recommendations in Bangkok.

It seems rentals are abundant in pattaya and I've found some posts on other forums from what looks like good places to rent. I think my best bet is to rent it in pattaya and leave from there.

I don't see any reason why I should tell the rental company I am taking the bike far away. I mean, I'm responsible for it anyway so why bother? Jeez, I remember taking a rental car to prag from Germany and I wasn't supposed to do that. Awesome trip and the car ride there was the best part, found some interesting stops along the way.

I honestly have no idea where I'm going to go, but since I'm still somewhat young I don't mind moving from youth hostel to youth hostel. I like staying at youth hostels because I meet people that way. I am by myself on this trip.

So I will have to look at a map and figure out what is the next best location to drive to from pattaya.

My trip length is also undetermined and depends on when I get called for processing for a city job in USA, hoping I get at least 2 months. I also plan on Cambodia and Vietnam, and also plan on buying a scooter in Vietnam as that is what they do there.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a cell phone attachment for the scooter to see my GPS while I drive? In the past I stopped every so often and checked the GPS.

I drove my 125 MIO from Mae Sai to Chiang Khong, Chiang Kham, Nan, Uttradit, Phitsanulok, and finally Phichit. 4-5 days. Threw it in my friends pickup in Phichit, drove to BKK, pissed around BKK for a week, shipped it on the overnight train along with myself to Chiang Mai, and drove the final 200km back to Mae Sai, Chiang Rai. Shipping the bike cost 80 baht more than my air-con sleeper berth.

I would never get on a motorcycle (regardless of size) in Thailand. They are death traps, mainly due to the way Thais drive.

You will be the target of police stops for tea money.

If involved in an accident with a Thai, you will be the one at fault.

Upon returning the bike, you will likely be told you have to pay additional for unspecified, or just plain made-up, repairs.

Driving in Thailand, even a car, much less a motorcycle, is extremely dangerous. Many foreigners have been killed on Thai roads, many Thais also.

To me, it is simply not worth the risk. Only you can decide what your life is worth.

I beg to differ! Yes the Thais are not the best drivers in the world, but if you have a decent level of International driving under your belt and use good defensive driving techniques, you should be fine.

As you say, many Thais and foreigners are killed on the roads but how much of that is down to innexperience, alcohol, drugs, falling asleep? I have driven tens of thousands of km's in cars and bikes all over Thailand over the last 12 years and apart from the occasional fine for the odd driving offence (not a police scam) I have survived unscathed.

Just make sure you have good full insurance cover in the event you do have an accident, and let the insurance sort it out.

• Like 2

There are a number of issues here that need confirmation to enable your ' scooter touring trip ' around thailand.

Having said that i'm not saying it can't be done but you would need confirmation on :

When hiring the scooter on a daily rate or monthly or whatever you need to get approval / confirmation that it used to travel to the north, south, east west or your choice area.

You need to confirm the insurance .... what is covered ? ... if someone steals the scooter in some remote location will the insurance pay for the loss to the hirer ? If someone hits you in a benz are you covered to repair there car & the scooter because if it's a thai driving which is most likely it will never be there fault. ?

Sounds like it could be fun .... be warned ... sort out the hiring & insurance issues thoroughly !! and not just verbal.

I am not familar with the licence requirement in thailand so maybe someone else can answer that one ...

good luck on the adventure ... wai2.gif also , if I were you , I would not go alone .. best to have two people when traveling especially from a safety point.

If you really are going down the 'scooter' route, get a Honda Dream 125. They are geared and built for various road conditions, like mountain driving. I've done 200k + trips with mine. An easy drive at 80 to 90 Km/H, good handling on curves and in the mountains. However, on the highways you need to drive on the shoulders with the 'small' bike, by law. If you have a 'full-framed' bike that can cruise at 120 Km/H, the cops aren't going to bother you, unless maybe you're in Bangkok. But that doesn't sound like your plan.

Personally, once I bought a full-sized 250cc twin-V, I stopped using the Dream except for city driving. All touring I did on the larger bike.

The best small bike for touring, surely a Honda PCX 150.

I just wanted to say good tip about the Honda dream, I don't know what kind of selection I will have being that it seems it is high season now. In Philippines my favorite bike was a Honda wave for some reason.

That is also good to know if you get a ticket you are good for the day, I am from north east so I am used to paying high tolls anyway.

These are my plans, I actually decided to plan my trip when I arrived in Asia so that is what I am doing now. I'm in Bangkok right now but it seems very difficult to find a reasonable place to rent a scooter here. I can't find anything online and no recommendations in Bangkok.

It seems rentals are abundant in pattaya and I've found some posts on other forums from what looks like good places to rent. I think my best bet is to rent it in pattaya and leave from there.

I don't see any reason why I should tell the rental company I am taking the bike far away. I mean, I'm responsible for it anyway so why bother? Jeez, I remember taking a rental car to prag from Germany and I wasn't supposed to do that. Awesome trip and the car ride there was the best part, found some interesting stops along the way.

I honestly have no idea where I'm going to go, but since I'm still somewhat young I don't mind moving from youth hostel to youth hostel. I like staying at youth hostels because I meet people that way. I am by myself on this trip.

So I will have to look at a map and figure out what is the next best location to drive to from pattaya.

My trip length is also undetermined and depends on when I get called for processing for a city job in USA, hoping I get at least 2 months. I also plan on Cambodia and Vietnam, and also plan on buying a scooter in Vietnam as that is what they do there.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a cell phone attachment for the scooter to see my GPS while I drive? In the past I stopped every so often and checked the GPS.

Do not ride the main road between Pattaya and Bangkok. The hard shoulder is very dangerous, and the first lane is full of heavy trucks, I rode it, and I only saw one other motorcyclist during the whole journey, I believe there is a coast road through Chonburi, that would be a lot safer.

You beat me to it. PCX 150 is the way to go. It's perfect for cruising. Expect to 115 MPG depending on your speed. Moving up to this slightly larger bike, you get a big advantage...the smoothness of the bike. Yea you could do it on a Click, I wouldn't. White helmet and shirt is the best for visibility. Lather up with sun screen. Keep this in mind, Thailand is the most dangerous place in the world to drive. Expect the unexpected, and DRIVE DEFENSIVELY...very defensively. Oh, and have fun.

• Like 1

No problem at all. I drove with my gf and pcx150 from Pattaya to Phuket. You top speed will be 70-80 km because the roads doesnt allow more. Remember you cant drive on Highways with motorbike in Thailand allthough i did because the small roads are stucked. Gps want you to go through the paytoll but that is only for cars so click the NO PAYTOLL button inside gps. They do drive and pass on the rescue line and also drive the wrong way but i suppose thats same as in Phillipines. And watch the holes on road so i would choose a bike with bigger size tyre 14+. Have fun

Oh and i drove in my tshirt and shorts with only a good helmet. Your awareness is your main protection.

Edited by sead

now i have read that if you are from the us and have a drivers license you can drive here in Thailand legally for 3 months.i read that on the us state dept web site, just like in romania you can drive for 6 months on a us drivers license.

The reason for a scooter I guess is cost. It is by far the cheapest to rent and also by far gets the best gas mileage. The smaller 100cc scooters get like 100 MPG or 2.8 liters per 100 Kilometers . I drove 100cc scooters pretty far and pushed them probably to max speed in Philippines. You are correct, it probably isn't the most comfortable way to travel but it does work. Those little 100cc scooters can go quite fast also.

I've got good endurance so for some reason I just keep going and love the feel of a 100cc bike going top speed. I am going to do lots of stops also, so will probably only be on the road maybe 5 hours tops a day.

I really am just planning this as I go along at this point. I plan on staying a couple of months so I don't have to rush all of this.

I've seen quite a few people hobbling around RAM hospital in Chiang Mai to know that (a) motorcycle accidents happen, a lot, and (B), some of those people will be paying quite hefty hospital bills.

So, I suggest you check your insurance policy, especially what it says about your licence, if you're going to be covered at all. My current policy requires me to have my home country licence + a (genuine, not fake) international drier's licence. Also I'm not allowed to ride a bike over 250cc, which I think is ridiculous, but them's the rules of my insurer. Presumably I'm not insured if I instead have a Thai licence.

I like the idea of travelling the backroads, not the main highways.

also think outside the box...

you can get on the train right now and go to Chiang Mai and rent a scooter for cheaper than Bangkok. very fun to ride in the mountains there. you can spend days exploring that part of thailand in all directions. the highest point in thailand is just south of chiang mai. i made it to the top on a honda click. you could ride all the way to phuket and get back on the train WITH YOUR SCOOTER and ride back to Chiang Mai. or what ever works for you.

maybe ride the train to some where else and repeat. avoid Bangkok traffic.

here is all the info you need for dozen of rides:

http://www.captainslash.com/

Edited by NCC1701A

Your license is of no value in Thailand. You MUST have an Int'l license for many reasons. The rental place will take your money and not worry about license. If you are going this route anyway, carry many Baht 100s to pay off cops. Start with B300 and they may let you go. Always carry your passport.

I have an Honda wave 110 , 32000 kms without problems ; good bike, never tired, but I don't think the seat is comfortable; just for the comfort, I think that 100 kms every day will be difficult ( sore bottom ) ; I am always tired before the bike

Personally haven't ridden a PCX, but know people who own them. You might have a point.

• Like 1

Since you have some experience in this kind of adventure...you know to watch your back...the driving habits of Thais make the roads fairly hazardous to drive on for all vehicles...

Make sure you have good accident and health insurance...

Stay away from Southern Thailand (Yala and surrounding provinces) as it is inhabited my Muslim kooks who would love to dispatch a foreigner and put another notch in their gun belt...

Good luck and have a great adventure...

Do not ride the main road between Pattaya and Bangkok. The hard shoulder is very dangerous, and the first lane is full of heavy trucks, I rode it, and I only saw one other motorcyclist during the whole journey, I believe there is a coast road through Chonburi, that would be a lot safer.

Agreed - not necessarily because it is exceptionally dangerous, just because its not a great route - deadly dull!

I've done it a couple of times in a car and the only way I would want to to travel it on two wheels would be on a big bike, and very quickly to get it over with as soon as possible.

Edited by Shadychris
  • Like 1