Latest small SUV's.. Honda HR-V vs Mazda CX-3 ?

Quite interested in this segment as I will def be buying a new car in 6 months time. I'm basing the below from looking at endless videos and car show reports/reviews online.

Mazda

Honda

The Mazda looks great in most colours, esp white (makes the car look bigger). The Honda doesn't have a great range of colours. In my opinion it looks very good in silver, tinted windows are a must; the accent line on the side is visible and helps the car look less dull.

Looking at the Mazda CX-3

post-159901-0-65727700-1418049753_thumb.

post-159901-0-33245100-1418049821_thumb.

Very good looking car generally, v smart interior design

..but still reminds you its based on a Mazda 2

Just enough space in the front, but looks v tight in the back. Not really an mini SUV/CUV?

Also no centre armrest

Engine is hopefully the 2 litre, good for 155bhp and can be chipped

Being a Mazda, probably very good fun to drive

price TBA

My view - great looking sporty compact for a couple and young kids; I would argues its not really a mini SUV with limited space for IKEA trips or picking up relatives from the airport.

Honda HR-V

post-159901-0-91819400-1418050062_thumb.

post-159901-0-85860100-1418050087_thumb.

Entry level model looks oh so boring, specced up ones look much better

More grown up looking than the CX-3, but less interesting design perhaps

Interior room is in a different league to the Mazda

Interior is good quality front and back

Has an armrest!

touch screen controls might not be to everyones liking

amazing loading options, magic seats etc. Can load 8 ft items. This is a real SUV

Engine power is so-so. 138bhp. v-tec can't be easily chipped either (Hybrid coming?)

optional piano black interior finish a must have, which mean high spec models

Honda have set the price deliberately high in Thailand to make space for the Brio

Price for the top spec, nearly 1.1M, more for the Modulo pack version

IMO a decent practical proper SUV, looks really good in high spec trim..if you can afford it. Not particularly sporty tho

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mazda all the way the CX range are excellent. The HR-V has been out for years the original being a very boxy looking car 1998-2006, a favourite for dog owners but I think this new model just doesn't have the appeal when compared to the Mazda IMO

Edited by Rickster

After owning a Honda CRV (first series) for 12 years we bought a Mazda 2 in 2011. We did not buy a new CRV because IMHO Honda has lost the plot design wise. Also the small Mazda is easier (in particular for my wife) to drive and park in town but not suitable to go upcountry. Last year considered the Mazda CX-5 but decided against it and we had a look at the Honda HRV a few weeks ago. However the Mazda CX-3 would be the better choice! I do hope that it will indeed be assembled locally next year. Also I heard that it might come with a 1.5 turbo diesel engine which would be perfect.

Mazda all the way the CX range are excellent. The HR-V has been out for years the original being a very boxy looking car 1998-2006, a favourite for dog owners but I think this new model just doesn't have the appeal when compared to the Mazda IMO

I think you mean the HR-V has been gone for years smile.png

The new Vezel/HR-V could barely even be described as a spiritual successor to the old model - it's just a re-use of an old nameplate from the stockpile.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to re-use the old Concerto badge - I loved that name - but not the car is was assigned to tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

Just replaced our late model CR-V with a CX-5. The Mazda is in a different league. Excellent road manners, great steering, quieter and a comfy interior. more legroom in the front, better brakes. Interior is more like a European car, quality controls and switchgear. The handbrake ( E brake to Americanos ) is in the right place and the skyactiv motor is powerful and frugal too. Very impressed.

I would choose the Mazda, because You can have it with a diesel engine.

As a marine engineer I just love diesel engines for a variety of reasons.

I have a Fortuner with a 3.0 diesel engine now, but this Mazda would certainly come into play when I will change, I do not have the need for the Fortuners big size anymore.

Unfortunately there are almost no smaller and medium sized cars in Thailand with diesel engines.

First drive of the Mazda, full review soon. They've used a wide angle lens and chosen a shorty to drive it, but interior space still looks better than I first thought

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/mazda-cx3-first-drive-review-20141209-12397d.html

Recommend you always think with your eyes.

Hence why I've said the above.

Anyone with an idea, what the list price for a Mazda CX-3 will be in Thailand?

No. Mazda TH are tight lipped about launch date and prices. Wait for an official TH reveal in the first half of next year. Until then, just anticipate somewhere between 600K and 1M.

I've had a Mazda CX5 for 7 months now. Very roomy and a great ride and fund to drive. One of the few smaller cars with a diesel engine. You will not get the fuel economy they quote, but it is still good. The only problem I have found is getting an English manual for the car, Mazda Thailand do not have good English speakers on their support line. I get lots of promises, but 10 months after asking for a manual, I still do not have one.

I've had a Mazda CX5 for 7 months now. Very roomy and a great ride and fund to drive. One of the few smaller cars with a diesel engine. You will not get the fuel economy they quote, but it is still good. The only problem I have found is getting an English manual for the car, Mazda Thailand do not have good English speakers on their support line. I get lots of promises, but 10 months after asking for a manual, I still do not have one.

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/mazda/2014-cx5.pdf

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2014_CX5_OM.pdf

Google is your friend. Admittedly not Right Hand Drives but better than trying to understand Thai.

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/mazda/2014-cx5.pdf

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2014_CX5_OM.pdf

Google is your friend. Admittedly not Right Hand Drives but better than trying to understand Thai.

Thanks for your help. I have used the internet manuals

Which recommend that you always carry your manual in the car. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

First 'full' written review I've seen on the new CX-3, a followup from their video feature

http://www.caradvice.com.au/mazda/cx-3/

Kind of confirms what I feared - its not really an SUV or even a CUV. That long bonnet has just killed rear interior space, basically the smallest interior in the segment. Ok for asians perhaps

Best think of it as a sporty tall hatchback?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone have any recent update on the CX-3 launch date?.

Based on the chatter in the industry, I'd say most likely a 2016 release, or maybe an end of year release.

All just speculation - Mazda aren't saying anything.

• 2 weeks later...

HRV for space, CX-3 for driving pleasure. Interesting comparison here....

http://www.caradvice.com.au/344090/honda-hr-v-vti-v-mazda-cx-3-maxx-comparison-review/

....worth noting that the lower front spoiler on the CX-3 is prone to hitting things.

To mix things up, Subaru have knocked 300k Baht off the price of the base model XV. So if you are going to be driving rough, it's become a much more attractive proposition.

I think you mean the HR-V has been gone for years smile.png

The new Vezel/HR-V could barely even be described as a spiritual successor to the old model - it's just a re-use of an old nameplate from the stockpile.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to re-use the old Concerto badge - I loved that name - but not the car is was assigned to tongue.png

Concerto badge... say the name and always think of it twin sister Rover..

Also interested in the CX3

Is the CX3 in the same group as the new HR-V thing ?

would have thought the Mazda CX3 and Ford Ecosport would be the same class.

The CX5 would be the same group and the HR-V

So cannot see the point of testing the CX3 against the HR-V ??

http://www.caradvice.com.au/344090/honda-hr-v-vti-v-mazda-cx-3-maxx-comparison-review/

....worth noting that the lower front spoiler on the CX-3 is prone to hitting things.

To mix things up, Subaru have knocked 300k Baht off the price of the base model XV. So if you are going to be driving rough, it's become a much more attractive proposition.

The XV, CX5 and HR-V would be the same class/group ? Not the CX3

• 3 weeks later...

CX-3 and HRV are the same class group.

and CX-5 and CR-V are the same.

I would also put the XV in the latter group as it is basically a lifted Impreza, which is in the same category as the Mazda 3 and Civic. Just as the CX-3 and HRV are basically a lifted Mazda 2 and Jazz.

All things being equal, the XV is the best car here (real full time 4wd, great boxter engine, best ground clearance, exceptional handling).... except for one thing. A horribly dated and plasticy interior. It is so bad that it's actually enough to push me 2 one of the others.... most likely the CX-3.

I sat in a a CX-3 in New Zealand just last week. The interior looks just as good as in the photos, and the interior is fantastic. Couple that with the fantastic handling, and my lack of kids (HRV is really does trump it for interior space), and I could be on to a winner.

What I am waiting on is pricing, and confirmation that they will be using the same 2.0l Skyactive engine that they are elsewhere. They will need to be competitive with the HRV if they hope to suceed in the Thai market, and I am afraid they to do this they might offer a 1.5 diesel version... or even worse... fit it with the 1.3l litre eco engine they've put in the 2 :|

I would also put the XV in the latter group as it is basically a lifted Impreza, which is in the same category as the Mazda 3 and Civic. Just as the CX-3 and HRV are basically a lifted Mazda 2 and Jazz.

All things being equal, the XV is the best car here (real full time 4wd, great boxter engine, best ground clearance, exceptional handling).... except for one thing. A horribly dated and plasticy interior. It is so bad that it's actually enough to push me 2 one of the others.... most likely the CX-3.

I sat in a a CX-3 in New Zealand just last week. The interior looks just as good as in the photos, and the interior is fantastic. Couple that with the fantastic handling, and my lack of kids (HRV is really does trump it for interior space), and I could be on to a winner.

What I am waiting on is pricing, and confirmation that they will be using the same 2.0l Skyactive engine that they are elsewhere. They will need to be competitive with the HRV if they hope to suceed in the Thai market, and I am afraid they to do this they might offer a 1.5 diesel version... or even worse... fit it with the 1.3l litre eco engine they've put in the 2 :|

OK stand corrected then..

Thought the CX-7 was the same class as the CRV ?

thought the CX-3 was the same class as the Ford Ecosport ? [Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta base]

seeing the CX 5 and the Honda HR-V next to each other a few months ago, they appeared to be the same size.

OK stand corrected then..

Thought the CX-7 was the same class as the CRV ?

thought the CX-3 was the same class as the Ford Ecosport ? [Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta base]

seeing the CX 5 and the Honda HR-V next to each other a few months ago, they appeared to be the same size.

Technically speaking, the CX-3 is based on the Mazda2 platform, the Ecosport on the Fiesta platform, and the HR-V is based on the Jazz/City platform.

The CX-5 is based on the Mazda3 platform, and the CR-V based in the Civic platform, but to throw a spanner in the works, the Juke is based on the LWB Pulsar/Livina platform :P

• 3 weeks later...