Applying for pension visa , when in Thailand

I was looking at applying in London for a pension visa before I arrived in Thailand but it seems quite difficult ,

Firstly I need to obtain and health and criminal record check ? .. I called my doctors and they didn't seem to understand what I wanted ( letter to say clean bill of health ) I guess , but they said they never done this before .. Criminal record , called local police station and again no help .. Also I need a Thai bank account and understand I will need the 800k in that 2-3 months prior to request , ( my other half is Thai , but her account is in her name , so no help to me ) ..

So I thought it would be a lot easier to just get a 3 month double or triple entry visa ( btw what's the difference between double and triple ? , what does that actually mean ) .. And arrive in Thailand find an agent , ( any suggestions of good ones ? ) , because my understanding is that you will not need the criminal or health checks . And the first time you apply the 800k in bank , it only needs to be 2 months . I don't mind paying an agent to sort everything just as long as it's doable .. Im 55 , solvent .. My other half will remain In the uk for another 12-18 months because of work commitments , and although she is Thai I don't think she can be of any help anyways ... But hopefully someone on here can be regarding guidance , on arrival . I have been coming to Thailand on 3 month holiday visas many many times or the past 22 years , but now I've finally decided to retire , it's all got very complicated for me .. please advise .. Thanks Howie .

For an O/A visa in your country the medical certificate just states that you're free from certain disease.

The criminal record is obtained by mail: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

The funds do not need to be in you country.

Otherwise for an extension of stay in Thailand the funds will need to be in a Thai bank. In that case you just obtain a non-imm 'o' visa with you marriage certificate, and then the extension of stay at any immigration office in Thailand. If you get the extension for marriage you only need 400K not 800.

You do not need an agent for anything of that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Paz ,

I'm not married , she's my girlfriend and been here in the uk for 11 years .

Funds not need to be in you country ? .. Does that mean I can just show the embassy in London my bank statements with the recommendation that I open an account when in Thailand ?

Health check .. What diseases ? .. Is there a list

Am I correct that you don't need this IF you apply in Thailand ? ..

Any idea of agencies in Thailand ( pattaya ) who deal with this ?

Thanks Martin .

There are many threads about O/A visa, with just a search you will find all the information needed. In practice most people do not want to spend money and time with it.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

If you go for the extension, since you can't obtain a non-imm visa in the UK you will need to convert your tourist visa, or visa exempt entry in Bangkok, then the extension of stay can be done in Pattaya.

There are agencies but again, it is not needed to use one.

Edited by paz

Thanks again Paz , I've been on the embassy site before , but as I say

I'll probably get a 3 month holiday visa ( double or triple entry , again I don't know the difference ) ,

And get it changed in pattaya if I can , I guess I must get an agent to do that ,

Oh well .

Thanks Howie .

It is now impossible to convert a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O (good for a 90 day stay) at Jomtien immigration now, agent or no agent.

It will need to be done in Bangkok.

Then the second step is the later application for annual extension based on retirement, which in your case, will be done at Jomtien.

OP, given that you will need to hassle with the Bangkok step, are you SURE you want to reject the option of going for an O-A visa from London? It just might suit your purposes better even though yes you will need the medical form and police form for that.

Understood , I guess I could just queue up and do this , or get an agent to sort the lot ( easy option ? ) . Understanding I will ofcourse still need to go there myself ofcourse .

I guess what I'm really asking is

Applying in Thailand ( Bkk ) .. Do you still need the health and criminal record checks ? And what agencies deal with it

Anybody know of any well respected ones that work out of pattaya ( although I know I will still have to go to Bkk ) .

Thanks

In Thailand, NO, you will not need the health form or criminal record form for either of the two needed steps:

-- Conversion to O visa at Bangkok

-- annual retirement extension at Jomtien

You do not really need to be "healthy" to get the health form if that's what you're worried about.

In Thailand, NO, you will not need the health form or criminal record form for either of the two needed steps:

-- Conversion to O visa at Bangkok

-- annual retirement extension at Jomtien

You do not really need to be "healthy" to get the health form if that's what you're worried about.

Ha ha .. No I'm not worried so much as when I called my doctors they seem not to understand what and why I needed it , which surprised me as I thought It would be common placed . I'll call again , but is it a special form that they want to see in the embassy and as Paz has given me a good site to check the police criminal record that could be a goer after all , I just don't know what the embassy actually want to see .. ' a note from my doctor ? ' .. lol .

Surely in both cases there must be an official form ?

Given all the hassle and costs are you sure you want to spend the whole year in Thailand?

Multi entry tourist visa might be a better way to go and keep some roots In the UK.

Rent somewhere with a short six month lease.

If you have property I recommend never bring anything to Thailand you cannot afford to lose.

Better invest any money or funds you have in the UK property market.

Buy a few houses and rent them out.

I appreciate you have been together 11 years but you might find when the property is in someone else's name and you have nothing life will change.

At worst keep 50% in the UK in case you get sick or it all goes wrong.

Read all the threads about life in another country.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

I just don't know what the embassy actually want to see .. ' a note from my doctor ? ' .. lol .Surely in both cases there must be an official form ?

It is on the embassy page linked above

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/medicalcertificate.pdf

You will need all the certificates notarized or stamped by a solicitor.

thanks Paz , unfortunately I can't open that with my iPad .. Which is annoying ,

Given all the hassle and costs are you sure you want to spend the whole year in Thailand?

Multi entry tourist visa might be a better way to go and keep some roots In the UK.

Rent somewhere with a short six month lease.

If you have property I recommend never bring anything to Thailand you cannot afford to lose.

Better invest any money or funds you have in the UK property market.

Buy a few houses and rent them out.

I appreciate you have been together 11 years but you might find when the property is in someone else's name and you have nothing life will change.

At worst keep 50% in the UK in case you get sick or it all goes wrong.

Read all the threads about life in another country.

I will only ever rent in Thailand anyway , and ofcourse depending on obtaining the pension visa , getting a apartment for 6 months , as I said previous my other half is staying in the uk for 12-18 months and when she does return she prefers to be up country in her village which bores me to tears after a few days . I would in a prefect world I guess stay 6 months , return uk 3 months , back to Thailand 6 months on off .. But when the visa run stopped , I didn't think that would be possible anymore ?

I would in a prefect world I guess stay 6 months , return uk 3 months , back to Thailand 6 months on off .. But when the visa run stopped , I didn't think that would be possible anymore ?

Visa runs have not stopped. Some people do them routinely.

With a triple entry tourist visa from the UK you can stay up to 9 months but you need to do boring extensions and/or border hops. That is not needed with an O/A visa or 1-year extension.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I will only ever rent in Thailand anyway , and ofcourse depending on obtaining the pension visa , getting a apartment for 6 months , as I said previous my other half is staying in the uk for 12-18 months and when she does return she prefers to be up country in her village which bores me to tears after a few days . I would in a prefect world I guess stay 6 months , return uk 3 months , back to Thailand 6 months on off .. But when the visa run stopped , I didn't think that would be possible anymore ?

Visa runs have not stopped. Some people do them routinely.

With a triple entry tourist visa from the UK you can stay up to 9 months but you need to do boring extensions and border hops.

That is not required with O/A visa or 1-year extensions.

you may have resolved all my problems in one hit my friend

So in that case I just apply for a 3 month ( triple entry ) tourist visa .. And with that I can stay up to nine months ? Where and when do you get extensions , and a ' hop ' is still a walk though in say Cambodia ? .

And if at a later stage I can change to a pension or ED visa if I so wish ?

You could only do a change to a non immigrant visa based upon retirement in Bangkok.

You would have to go to an embassy to get a ED visa.

It would be easier to just get a single entry tourist visa. Open a bank account to put the 800k baht in. Apply for the change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok that would give you a 90 entry. Then apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement in Jomtien during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

So in that case I just apply for a 3 month ( triple entry ) tourist visa .. And with that I can stay up to nine months ? Where and when do you get extensions , and a ' hop ' is still a walk though in say Cambodia ? .

And if at a later stage I can change to a pension or ED visa if I so wish ?

One can go to any border for re-entry but the cost is easily 2,500 bt each time with the related misery, plus 30 days extension for each entry at immigration for Bt 1,900. For these reasons it is better to obtain an O/A visa or 1-year extension of stay.

ED visa it's neither a great idea, as it require a great deal of studying, cost and hassle.

Edited by paz

You would want to apply for a triple entry visa that is valid for 6 months. That is, the "must enter by" date on the visa is 6 months from the date of issue. Get the visa as close to your departure date to get the maximum use as all three entries must be made on or before the must enter date.

On initial entry you get 60 days permission the stay. That can be extended for 30 more at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

You then must exit, enter a neighboring country and reenter, turning around and coming right back is okay. The current cost of a visa to enter Cambodia is $30. On entry you get 60 days permission to stay, extendable for 30 more at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

Toward the end of that permission to stay you again have to leave the country as before. You must leave and re-enter on or before the "must enter date" on the visa NOT the permission to stay date in your passport. On entry you get 60 days extendable by 30 at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

Therefore, a triple entry "six month" visa will get you almost 270 days permission to stay with two border runs and three 30 day extensions. The earlier that you get the visa before you comes affects the maximum allowable time since all entries must be made on/before the must enter by" date on the visa. 60+30+60+30+60+30 =270

Have a nice trip!

You could only do a change to a non immigrant visa based upon retirement in Bangkok.

You would have to go to an embassy to get a ED visa.

It would be easier to just get a single entry tourist visa. Open a bank account to put the 800k baht in. Apply for the change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok that would give you a 90 entry. Then apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement in Jomtien during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

I must admit I do find all this single / multi entry thing confusing ..

So it would ok to apply in London .. 3 month multi entry , and from that I could get 9 months anyway , But if I wanted to change it to a pension later that Can be done ( as long as I open and deposit 800k at a later stage before my time is up ) .. If I wanted too ?

So it would ok to apply in London .. 3 month multi entry , and from that I could get 9 months anyway , But if I wanted to change it to a pension later that Can be done ( as long as I open and deposit 800k at a later stage before my time is up ) .. If I wanted too ?

Change to an extension, not a pension. As explained above, first step conversion in Bangkok cost Bt 2,000.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

You would want to apply for a triple entry visa that is valid for 6 months. That is, the "must enter by" date on the visa is 6 months from the date of issue. Get the visa as close to your departure date to get the maximum use as all three entries must be made on or before the must enter date.

On initial entry you get 60 days permission the stay. That can be extended for 30 more at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

You then must exit, enter a neighboring country and reenter, turning around and coming right back is okay. The current cost of a visa to enter Cambodia is $30. On entry you get 60 days permission to stay, extendable for 30 more at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

Toward the end of that permission to stay you again have to leave the country as before. You must leave and re-enter on or before the "must enter date" on the visa NOT the permission to stay date in your passport. On entry you get 60 days extendable by 30 at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

Therefore, a triple entry "six month" visa will get you almost 270 days permission to stay with two border runs and three 30 day extensions. The earlier that you get the visa before you comes affects the maximum allowable time since all entries must be made on/before the must enter by" date on the visa. 60+30+60+30+60+30 =270

Have a nice trip!

ah broken down brilliantly cheers .. So I actually apply in the uk on the form for a 6 month multi entry visa correct . And if I apply leave it as late as possible so I actually fly within say a month of getting it ? ..

If the answers to these questions are yes .. Then that's great , and what I will do ... And worry about changing it if need when I'm out there .. Thanks mate

My tuppence worth: you already qualify for the O-A visa as issued by the Thai Embassy in London. With requisite proof of local funds/income, the medical certificate and police certificate (links to forms already given), just go ahead and do the local legwork in the UK and get one.

Getting the dual-entry TR visa option is 'easier' inasmuch there's bugger all provenance needed up front and skipping out and in of Thailand at the appropriate times to maximise the stays is easy. If you don't like the country as much as you thought and need UK reality checks, then you haven't wasted too much effort on the visa business.

However, if you take the easy dual-entry TR visa option and decide that you want to spend more time in Thailand, then you will have more legwork (Bangkok and Jomtien) and much more bureaucracy (Bangkok and Jomtien) to deal with to change from the "easy to get in London" TR visa option to the "easy to maintain in Thailand" O-A option.

Just my view. You are retired and will be busy doing your own thing, finding a place to stay, sorting out personal transport, getting internet, opening a bank account, making new social circles, etc.. Traveling around and waiting in Immigration offices means keeping tabs on more calendar dates which is already an aspect of retirement in Thailand that a fair few here already despise.

Getting an agent up-front indicates that your mind is made up but in all honesty (and as previously mentioned) you can do it yourself. If you do decide on TR visa first and want to convert it later, there's several reputable local agents in Pattaya that can make it easier for you once you are in Thailand. Right now, you are still in Blighty and they probably won't want to invest much time in just your potential business.

Do you have a international health Clinic ? they can give you the form you need. They are the one you need to get the travel shots or vaccinations from anyway..

maybe try going the Non O for 90 days turning that into a retirement extension. I am from the United States so not really sure about UK. Best of luck.

OH you should be able to get a criminal back ground check from your local Police department.

Ask for criminal back ground check.

• Like 1

For an O/A visa in your country the medical certificate just states that you're free from certain disease.

The criminal record is obtained by mail: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

The funds do not need to be in you country.

Otherwise for an extension of stay in Thailand the funds will need to be in a Thai bank. In that case you just obtain a non-imm 'o' visa with you marriage certificate, and then the extension of stay at any immigration office in Thailand. If you get the extension for marriage you only need 400K not 800.

You do not need an agent for anything of that.

I downloaded this form from this site , then I read on the Thai embassy requirement list .....

Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.

Only Scotland Yard ??? No where on the form , will it still be valid , bit of a waste of £54 if it isn't what they require

Any ideas ?