Applying for pension visa , when in Thailand

It would be easier to just get a single entry tourist visa. Open a bank account to put the 800k baht in. Apply for the change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok that would give you a 90 entry. Then apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement in Jomtien during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Except that banks will not allow you to open an account with a tourist visa any longer. I've been to at least 60 branches of all manner of banks on Samui and none will allow me to open an account. I've been to immigration twice and both times they have said that the banks are wrong.

It would be easier to just get a single entry tourist visa. Open a bank account to put the 800k baht in. Apply for the change to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok that would give you a 90 entry. Then apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement in Jomtien during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Except that banks will not allow you to open an account with a tourist visa any longer. I've been to at least 60 branches of all manner of banks on Samui and none will allow me to open an account. I've been to immigration twice and both times they have said that the banks are wrong.

You cannot say that it cannot be done. Just on Samui island it cannot be done perhaps.

Perhaps you should go to Bangkok bank and show them the list of documents required to open an account shown here. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

There are people getting everyday at other locations I am sure.

on the application for a retirement visa for Thailand it states

Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.

Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)

Does this mean I must obtain these documents at least 3 months 'Before ' I can apply ?

It means the documents must be no older than 3 months when presenting the application. Consider the logic of it. If you showed a police report a year old you might have done a big crime six months ago.

. Well that's what I would of thought , it's just the way it reads , Im thinking it must mean the opposite surely , feel a bit silly now ,I'm getting rather nervous over the whole thing when I don't think I've any reason to be , also getting the application done in the uk where as it might seem the best route I'm still not clear on the bank business , because I can't find where it says on arrival in Thailand , how long have I got to get the account + 800k done ? ..

Has the OP considered the Elite Easy Pass option ? smile.png

enlighten me ? . Price , where , time etc ..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/770891-thailand-elite-membershipcard-the-low-down/

That's just a quick link to other discussion, probably worth your while reading if 500,000Baht for minimum of 5 year visa-hassle free sounds good to you. ;) I'd do it in a minute if I didn't have retirement extensions going along ok so far. Do the maths on visa fees and you'll see that it's not a bad deal. There's a possibility you can extend the last year and get 6 years out of it ;)

Edited by jpinx