Uber halts ride sharing service in Bangkok

webfact

So is Uber actually running anywhere in Thailand now? Could it ever run in Samui?

I still use it every day in bangkok.

OB

Great to hear its still alive and well and in Bangkok. How about in other locations? Someone said it was in Phuket? Why couldn't it work in Samui? They have some of the highest rates on the planet, like 500 baht to go 5 minutes up the road.

So is Uber actually running anywhere in Thailand now? Could it ever run in Samui?

OB

Great to hear its still alive and well and in Bangkok. How about in other locations? Someone said it was in Phuket? Why couldn't it work in Samui? They have some of the highest rates on the planet, like 500 baht to go 5 minutes up the road.

I dragged the pin to Phuket and def works there. Doesn't work,for samui. No drivers no uber I guess.

OB

OB

I dragged the pin to Phuket and def works there. Doesn't work,for samui. No drivers no uber I guess.

OB

No one sane will risk his life by becoming an Uber driver in Samui. The guy/woman wouldn't last a day. Hopefully things will change over time, but i don't expect anything soon.

I have used Uber several times here in central BKK, as well as GrabTaxi. In fact, many of the Uber Black drivers also work for Grabtaxi (GrabCar) as well. On a recent ride, the driver tried to get me to switch from GrabCar to Uber using the explanation that I could pay automatically with the Uber app -- of course he failed to mention that the price would go up significantly, so I politely declined his helpful offer.

My main issue with Uber and to a lesser extent Grabtaxi is a lack of available vehicles. On most occasions I get "car not available" and on others its a very long wait for arrival. Also, despite what you might assume, many drivers have poor English ability and poor Thai skills as well (Thai friends complain that many drivers are not Thai).

Despite the minor negatives, I would use Uber or GT without hesitation if I can actually get a car - but unfortunately availability is very limited, at least in my area (next to Four Seasons / Ratchadamri BTS). The premium is 110% worth it, so I hope Uber Black is not shut down and that availability improves.