UK pensions-life certificate

I'm bored so will try to answer Thonglorjimmy @ post 33:)

I think a number of us wonder why the British Embassy won't witness a form required by another Government Department.[/size]

I'm not sure that I agree with an earlier comment that they're frightened of litigation, I think it's more the case of reducing their workload, and as they never charged for these it gives them more opportunity on concentrating on services that attract a fee.[/size].[/size]

If they verify documents that later prove to be bogus (ID fraudster, deceased claimant, etc) they're open to legal recourse. Re Other notary work; most of this can be done locally within the community at considerably less cost or inconvenience to the public. It (Notary work) may appear to be a 'nice little earner' for the FCO but it's clear from recent updates that most isn't strictly necessary and they would prefer to offload it.

I just fired off an email to them asking for confirmation of who can witness these forms, pointing out that the advice from their link didn't equate to the advice reportedly being given out by the staff at Newcastle. I received the standard out of office reply indicating that they hoped to respond within 20 working days, so by 15th January 2015. Interestingly I had cause to contact the Dutch Consular section earlier in the week, they gave a helpful and meaningful response within an hour, with further responses within minutes.[/size]

1. It's Friday! (Would apply to Dutch too if you contacted them today smile.png)

2. Any reply will likely link to the list already in your possession.

3. Their "20 days" is a 'catch-all' response. Enquiries of this nature aren't particularly urgent but I doubt if any take 20 days to receive a reply.

HTH

I'm also bored, so I will update.

I still find it strange that a Government Department wont sign a Life Form with the person stood in front of them with their passport as ID, but expect a notary to do it.

1. I did email the Dutch Embassy again, this time on a Friday, when their public counter isn't open, I can confirm that it doesn't apply to them as I again got a meaningful response within the hour.

2. Not applicable, as I've they haven't replied yet. I did point out that the list published by the UK in Thailand and that of DWP gave differing advice and sought clarification.

3. I accept that my request wasn't particularly urgent in the grand scheme of things, though it was important to me. So far it's been a tad over 8 weeks since I contacted them, 36 working days, and I haven't yet had the courtesy of a reply. I don't find that acceptable.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for reviving this well worn topic but have trawled through 11 pages and haven't located a definitive answer as to whom to contact re this Life Certificate. The number given on the form is +441912187777 I'm unable to locate any + sign on my 'phone and a search on the net has, as suspected, revealed this + sign should be replaced with the full country code, ie 0044 for the UK. However, I keep getting the 'no have' in Thai. Same when I've tried other overseas call centers for banks. I contact friends in the UK this way, so am nonplussed as to what to do next. Anyone can help?

There have been several different email addresses posted, can anyone please post the one successfully receiving? Thanks.facepalm.gif

Apologies for reviving this well worn topic but have trawled through 11 pages and haven't located a definitive answer as to whom to contact re this Life Certificate. The number given on the form is +441912187777 I'm unable to locate any + sign on my 'phone and a search on the net has, as suspected, revealed this + sign should be replaced with the full country code, ie 0044 for the UK. However, I keep getting the 'no have' in Thai. Same when I've tried other overseas call centers for banks. I contact friends in the UK this way, so am nonplussed as to what to do next. Anyone can help?

There have been several different email addresses posted, can anyone please post the one successfully receiving? Thanks.facepalm.gif

Never mind, done. Hold down the '0' on your 'phone.

Try 00144

HTH

Be sure to write UK in big letters on the provided envelope.......

Yes agreed. Does anybody know if UK pensioners are obliged to fill out a Life Certificate to prove they are alive? If so that explains a lot.

I presume you mean UK based pensioners.

Yes they are.

HOWEVER, this (I believe) is a catch up exercise, directed by the government, targeted at overseas pensioners.

I have no issues with that and I believe they should do it every year for anyone over 70. I am in no way in favour of a pension continuing to be paid to someone who has died.

Do you have proof that pensioners living in the UK have to fill out a life certificate?

I ask because I personally don't know of one and I have several friends and relatives that are in their seventies and eighties..........plus in the original (2013) Autumn statement on life certificates it stated:

Pensioners living overseas in countries that do not share information with the UK will have to prove every two years that they are still alive

which suggests this is restricted to pensioners living outside the UK only, plus it also stated:

Pensions living in countries like Spain which already grant access to British authorities on whether people are alive will not have to get certificates

which seems to confirm that UK residents and countries that automatically share information don't have to sign a life certificate.

Sorry, late on parade with a reply.....

Yes, I have personally signed a life certificate for a UK resident pensioner.

I have also signed 2 life certificates for Thai based pensioners that the authorities did not know were resident in Thailand (ie they hadn't told DWP that they were here and had written to a UK address on file). In both cases, on my advice, the two individuals declared that they had moved to Thailand xx months ago!

• 1 year later...

Round 2 looks as if it's started.

Received a life certificate January 2015 and sent it off the same month.

Just received another form today to be completed.

Hope this is not going to happen every 18 months

I wonder being born in Liverpool as anything to do with them checking up so quickly

Yes round 2 has indeed started, I received another one this morning and I was borne in Bradford!

However importantly unlike last time it would seem that this time that a faxed return of completed form is no longer allowed if the following is to be believed. In response to an email I sent to them earlier today asking if I can return the completed by fax I have just received the following reply:

Dear Mr
I am writing about your earlier email.
I am afraid that we cannot accept either faxed or emailed Life Certificates as these are not considered secure structures.
Please return the completed form to us by post to our Wolverhampton address below.
Yours sincerely
Belinda Bell | Pensions Officer | Department of Work and Pensions | Newcastle Pension Centre | International Group | Room TC101, Tyneview Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1BA | Telephone UK 0191 2187777/ International 44191 2187777 | Textphone 0191 2187280 | Fax 0191 2187307 | Email [email protected] | www.thepensionservice.gsi.gov.uk| Please consider the environment before printing
Please do not return your Life Certificate by e-mail as this is not a secure structure. Please forward the Life Certificate to us via post. When you return the form could you please quote your National Insurance number and/or your date of birth.
Our postal address is:
The Pension Service 11
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
Great Britain WV98 1LW
  • Like 2

Yes I received my very first one on Wednesday (after barely a year of being paid the State Pension) and I was born in Brighton!

However since I plan to send mine back to the UK duly witnessed using Thailand Post's International EMS service, meaning that delivery will need to be signed for, I have emailed DWP asking whether I should post it to Newcastle rather than Wolverhampton. When I submitted my initial claim 18 months ago Wolverhampton refused to accept delivery on the grounds that there was no-one there with sufficient authority to sign for it, and I therefore had to resubmit it to Newcastle. Although it would appear from reports earlier in this thread that Wolverhampton are now accepting deliveries which need to be signed for, I would be very wary of doing this in view of my previous experience, unless DWP were to deign to reply reasonably promptly to my email

First thing this morning sent another email stating the fact that in 2014 faxed return of completed Life Certificates was allowed. I have just received the following reply.

Dear Mr Veevers
I can confirm that in previous years we were able to accept faxed Life Certificates but that is no longer the case as advised in my previous email of yesterday.
Yours sincerely
So that's it folks definite confirmation that we are now all at their mercy of their internal system once our completed forms reach the UK

So that's it folks definite confirmation that we are now all at their mercy of their internal system once our completed forms reach the UK

Which makes me seriously wonder whether it would be better to send our witnessed certificates direct to their Newcastle office rather than to their Wolverhampton mailing house in any event, regardless of what they may tell us. Goodness only knows how long it would take these certificates to wend their merry way from Wolverhampton to Newcastle otherwise!

Edited by OJAS

I was told in the first email "Please return the completed form to us by post to our Wolverhampton address below", also the envelope enclosed to return the Life Certificates has the Wolverhampton address on it. However last time this exercise was conducted I am led to understand that some members of Thai Visa had a less than satisfactory result using the Wolverhampton address.

I was told in the first email "Please return the completed form to us by post to our Wolverhampton address below", also the envelope enclosed to return the Life Certificates has the Wolverhampton address on it. However last time this exercise was conducted I am led to understand that some members of Thai Visa had a less than satisfactory result using the Wolverhampton address.

If I recall correctly there were certainly problems with acceptance of certificates sent by courier or otherwise requiring delivery signature being refused by Wolverhampton on the grounds that there was nobody there with sufficient authority to perform the onerous signing responsibility.

Which makes me seriously wonder whether it would be better to send our witnessed certificates direct to their Newcastle office rather than to their Wolverhampton mailing house in any event, regardless of what they may tell us. Goodness only knows how long it would take these certificates to wend their merry way from Wolverhampton to Newcastle otherwise!

I believe the documents are scanned at Wolverhampton and sent electronically to Newcastle. Posting to Newcastle would not add any certainty of delivery and is more likely to fall out of the system.

I have certified over 25 of these forms and sent them via airmail - not one has gone astray.

I believe the documents are scanned at Wolverhampton and sent electronically to Newcastle. Posting to Newcastle would not add any certainty of delivery and is more likely to fall out of the system.

I have certified over 25 of these forms and sent them via airmail - not one has gone astray.

In the light of your and others' assurances I posted mine back this morning duly certified to DWP's Wolverhampton address using Thailand Post's International EMS service to enable me to check whether it gets safely delivered there.

Beware, though, the International EMS service cost has now increased by 400 THB to 1,350 THB!

Sent mine back last week via Thai EMS

Posted Friday, arrived at Woverhampton Monday and that was faster than I expected. I tracked it all the way to the point of delivery, where it was signed for by M. Purser, although no actual signature appears on the receipt. I somehow doubt that M. Purser is a real person!

As a matter of interest, the last time I sent a document to UK, prior to this, I used registered airmail and it took three weeks to get there, which is disgraceful. That was my Brexit ballot paper, which didn't arrive by the deadline, despite being returned the day after I received it. I wonder how many other votes didn't get counted because of the slow postal service? Of course, the UK constituency officials are partly to blame by not posting the ballot papers out in a timely manner.

DM

Several people have reported receiving these since April. Suitable (free/inexpensive) counter-signatories include Posties, Bank managers, Plod or similar uniformed positions, or suitably qualified expats in the community inc holders of documented awards.

Re Post: Bar- coded mail is as good as EMS @ only 10-15% of the price.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

In the light of your and others' assurances I posted mine back this morning duly certified to DWP's Wolverhampton address using Thailand Post's International EMS service to enable me to check whether it gets safely delivered there.

Beware, though, the International EMS service cost has now increased by 400 THB to 1,350 THB!

Blimey! What a waste of money.

I sent 11 back today by email. 73 Baht.

I expect them to arrive in Wolverhampton in the usual 7 - 12 day time-frame.

If for any reason they get lost I shall phone DWP and email scanned copies. Speaking to them will, in itself, ensure that any 'stopped' pension payments are immediately restored.

• Like 2

If for any reason they get lost I shall phone DWP and email scanned copies. Speaking to them will, in itself, ensure that any 'stopped' pension payments are immediately restored.

i'm sure that we would all be fascinated to learn how you have managed to send original hard copy witnessed certificates to DWP by email!

I also wouldn't rate your chances of getting scanned copies of lost certificates accepted by DWP at all highly - especially since, as is evident from recent posts on this thread, they are no longer accepting faxed versions!

And if hanging on for ages on the phone at considerable expense being serenaded by the entire suite of Beethoven symphonies from start to finish until someone at the DWP end can be bothered to answer your call is your thing, fine. It most certainly ain't mine, though!

i'm sure that we would all be fascinated to learn how you have managed to send original hard copy witnessed certificates to DWP by email!

I also wouldn't rate your chances of getting scanned copies of lost certificates accepted by DWP at all highly - especially since, as is evident from recent posts on this thread, they are no longer accepting faxed versions!

And if hanging on for ages on the phone at considerable expense being serenaded by the entire suite of Beethoven symphonies from start to finish until someone at the DWP end can be bothered to answer your call is your thing, fine. It most certainly ain't mine, though!

You don't read posts properly do you coffee1.gif

I don't need to get scanned copies accepted - I only need to ensure continuity of pension payments.

Never had any issues communicating with DWP.

• Like 2

Just sent mine back, was umming and ahhing where to get it signed, decided to try our local dentist. No problem at all, he wouldn't even accept any money, so eventually after some persuading he said "give it to my receptionist", I gave her two hundred baht. The post office said it was 84 baht and would take 3 weeks, asked how much for a faster delivery, he said over 1000baht for one week, no guessing which one I chose.

Sent mine back Monday by registered post. For my own piece of mind I have emailed Newcastle and told them it is on its way and asked them to inform me once it has been received and actioned. I have just received the following reply.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have noted your records when your Life Certificate has been cleared we will contact you by e-mail to confirm this.

Regards.

• Like 2

Just a interesting little point. The envelope they supplied to return said Life Certificate was addressed Great Britain. When taken to the Post Office was asked where Great Britain England or United Kingdom and had to write United Kingdom under address before they would accept it!

• Like 1

Waste of money. It could have been sent by registered post for 55 baht on top of airmail postage cost of about 28 baht. It can still be tracked and traced. The T&T number is on the post office receipt.

I have just received one today, despite only starting the pension 6 months ago. It was dated 12 June, so it took 24 days to get here, and they only allow 2 months to return the form.

I called them for a number of things and also complained about the delay. They told me that they only guarantee to get the letters to a claimant within 28 days, which is bloody stupid if they only allow 60 days for the form to come back to them. The letters are posted from bloody Holland!

They also said that what they do is to select an age group at random and then post out forms to that age group, anywhere in the world where people are. I was told that I might not get another form for anything up to 4 years, depending on the group selected.

I said that I would be in the UK for a month from 18 July, 12 days time, and asked if I could visit their office in Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne to make the declaration in person as I would be staying about 5 miles away. I was told that would be OK, and I could do it at their gatehouse with one of their staff.

That's the best way, saves going to the Embassy or asking someone else here, or paying my UK doctor £30-odd (or whatever it costs nowadays) just for a signature.

Luckily, my mother and brother live close to the Pensions Centre in Newcastle. If not, I'd have had to pay my GP in the West Midlands to do it (because that's where I lived before coming to Thailand).

However, 10 out of 10 for them for service. After ending the call, they called me back within 5 minutes to ask what dates I would be in the UK as they would pay me the full rate (there have been some increases since I started claiming) for the time I will be in the UK.

So, those who advocated earlier in the thread that people should just make up a name and then sign the form themselves are wrong - they know the number you are calling from, from caller display, I assume) and could quite easily call you at any time to see if it was you who answered!

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

I have just received one today, despite only starting the pension 6 months ago. It was dated 12 June, so it took 24 days to get here, and they only allow 2 months to return the form.

I called them for a number of things and also complained about the delay. They told me that they only guarantee to get the letters to a claimant within 28 days, which is bloody stupid if they only allow 60 days for the form to come back to them. The letters are posted from bloody Holland!

They also said that what they do is to select an age group at random and then post out forms to that age group, anywhere in the world where people are. I was told that I might not get another form for anything up to 4 years, depending on the group selected.

I said that I would be in the UK for a month from 18 July, 12 days time, and asked if I could visit their office in Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne to make the declaration in person as I would be staying about 5 miles away. I was told that would be OK, and I could do it at their gatehouse with one of their staff.

That's the best way, saves going to the Embassy or asking someone else here, or paying my UK doctor £30-odd (or whatever it costs nowadays) just for a signature.

Luckily, my mother and brother live close to the Pensions Centre in Newcastle. If not, I'd have had to pay my GP in the West Midlands to do it (because that's where I lived before coming to Thailand).

However, 10 out of 10 for them for service. After ending the call, they called me back within 5 minutes to ask what dates I would be in the UK as they would pay me the full rate (there have been some increases since I started claiming) for the time I will be in the UK.

So, those who advocated earlier in the thread that people should just make up a name and then sign the form themselves are wrong - they know the number you are calling from, from caller display, I assume) and could quite easily call you at any time to see if it was you who answered!

I am amazed that so many people are keen to pay for this. Almost anyone can certify (especially if you are back in the UK).

Just for info the British Embassy no longer provide this service.

• Like 1

Received life cert letter from uk pension on the 26th last month filled in and sent back by EMS 28th got to wolverhamton on the 4th this month signed for by Mr Purcell but in the mean time sent 8 emails to Newcastle to inform them that's its on the way and what to do next if anything but to date no reply back from my emails you would think they would reply ??????? and I have tried different e-mail addresses but nothing ????? if I don't get my pension this month will be pissed of big time with the uk pensions

Sent mine back Monday by registered post. For my own piece of mind I have emailed Newcastle and told them it is on its way and asked them to inform me once it has been received and actioned. I have just received the following reply.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have noted your records when your Life Certificate has been cleared we will contact you by e-mail to confirm this.

Regards.

What email address did you use? thanks