Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got pinged for dropping a fag on the floor outside emporium on Friday evening. Little <deleted> in a blue uniform ,. Didn't argue with him just said "how much do you want , he said 2K , I gave him 1k and he shot off. All over in about 30 seconds. My own fault though

Got pinged for dropping a fag on the floor outside emporium on Friday evening. Little <deleted> in a blue uniform ,. Didn't argue with him just said "how much do you want , he said 2K , I gave him 1k and he shot off. All over in about 30 seconds. My own fault though

Not really a tale of harassment by the police, is it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wasnt meant to be mate, just passing it on so people remember those sneaky sods are watching

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wasnt meant to be mate, just passing it on so people remember those sneaky sods are watching
You got conned quite easily out of 1,000 Baht. Those little thugs in uniforms aren't cops but a gang that preys on easy targets for a quick shakedown. They therefore have no right to fine anyone.

A guy on Silom once shouted at me that I had dropped a fag and demanded 2,000 Baht. I told him, "กูไม่สูบบุหรี่เลย มันน่าเกลียด มึงไม่ใช่ตำรวจเลย" (I don't <deleted> smoke and you're not a <deleted> cop). He was so dumbstruck by my aggressive dressing down of him, in his own language and within earshot of passers-by, that he just froze and I walked away with a Thai smile.

Edited by tubby johnson

I was with my mate and his 2 young kids who were over for the weekend from KL so I didn't want a scene and anyway , I did lob the butt on the .floor, and it was still smoking away on the deck as I spoke with the snide copper. I didn't fancy a confrontation about it . If he had called the old bill, I had no ID on me and as mentioned I was with my mate and his kids. As it was it was done and dusted so quickly my mate didn't even know what had happened until I told him

You got conned quite easily out of 1,000 Baht. Those little thugs in uniforms aren't cops but a gang that preys on easy targets for a quick shakedown. They therefore have no right to fine anyone.

A guy on Silom once shouted at me that I had dropped a fag and demanded 2,000 Baht. I told him, "กูไม่สูบบุหรี่เลย มันน่าเกลียด มึงไม่ใช่ตำรวจเลย" (I don't <deleted> smoke and you're not a <deleted> cop). He was so dumbstruck by my aggressive dressing down of him, in his own language and within earshot of passers-by, that he just froze and I walked away with a Thai smile.

If you drop litter you pay a fine. They have every right.

I was with my mate and his 2 young kids who were over for the weekend from KL so I didn't want a scene and anyway , I did lob the butt on the .floor, and it was still smoking away on the deck as I spoke with the snide copper. I didn't fancy a confrontation about it . If he had called the old bill, I had no ID on me and as mentioned I was with my mate and his kids. As it was it was done and dusted so quickly my mate didn't even know what had happened until I told him

So why come here and post about it in a thread about something completely different?

So why come here and post about it in a thread about something completely different?

I have no idea why you appear to getting so upset. I passed the information on because others might not be aware that people are getting pinged and fined on a daily basis, that's the first time its happened to me in 12 years.So it might save someone a couple of quid. If you are so offended and dismayed by the post ,report it and ask a Mod to delete it, It obviously meant a lot to you and you're probably grassing people up all of the time anyway.

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

Gee, I speak Thai, and I've been stopped twice.

I was in Thailand earlier this month and on Sukhumvit between NANA and Asoke several times all I noticed was the absents of vendors crowding the sidewalks also missing were the usual crooked cops You know them the 2 that have a table under the stairs at BTS with the ashtray present and the other one that sits on a chair all day in the shade drinks and smoking. Hell all these years I never knew there was a house there. I even did a dentist visit only cost 200 baht and that included medicine for toothache. If there is a shakedown the ones getting them must be drawing attention to themselves some how. It was so pleasant there I just might move back since condo rental prices seem to be on downward spiral. Yes can buy but won't no point it for me. Less tax paperwork since no assets that require it overseas.

If you drop litter you pay a fine. They have every right.

Yeah, I for one am glad the Thai police are going after these litter bugs. Sometimes the fag butts are so insidious, I don't even notice them under all the garbage the Thais are throwing in the street with impunity!!

Spidermike

You are a complete monkey and I think your a racist goose buddy.. I live here and was visiting my partner in BKK. I laso have friends police and this fucktard was having a crack to see what he could get. You must be a fan are you. I had 1q23 pro fights all around the world. Climb back into your cage goose

You may have quoted the wrong guy. Not sure what I said to get your goat like that. Pretty amazing reply nonetheless. I love being called a fucktard. Thank you.

I cannot find any update about this, any help ?

We're not supposed to link to the Bangkok Post here but they ran an article yesterday (18 January) that discussed this situation at length.

One of the Police Colonels, listed as a Thong Lor Superintendent, tried to blame the shakedowns on "fake" and "rogue" cops or cops from another precinct. That same Police Colonel has apparently been recently transferred out of his position in Thong Lor to the province of Ang Thong (according to the article).

The headline for the article was Sukhumvit shakedown and it's in the news, special reports section. If you google the headline you should find the article.

I cannot find any update about this, any help ?

We're not supposed to link to the Bangkok Post here but they ran an article yesterday (18 January) that discussed this situation at length.

One of the Police Colonels, listed as a Thong Lor Superintendent, tried to blame the shakedowns on "fake" and "rogue" cops or cops from another precinct. That same Police Colonel has apparently been recently transferred out of his position in Thong Lor to the province of Ang Thong (according to the article).

The headline for the article was Sukhumvit shakedown and it's in the news, special reports section. If you google the headline you should find the article.

Read that yesterday. The fella in the article has been pulled quite a few times

Having lived in Bangkok for most of 2003-2008 I can tell you that this was never happening then, and no one was talking about it. Rarely (very rarely) a person was asked to pay a fine for littering, but that was it.

I have never been stopped by police in Bangkok or country Thailand, in over 30 ears of visiting or living in the country, ever! Never a licence check when riding a motorcycle, and I've ridden over a lot of the country, never asked for ID. It may be widespread, but that's not my experience.

You are a chick that's why.

Nope, not a chick. I would have thought a chick would have been more likely to have been stopped than a guy, more methods of 'settling' with the BiB.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been stopped at a drink drive test spot and had a reading of 55. Wasn't impressed as only had half a bottle of LEO with dinner 30 minutes before. The police tried to wrangle money out of me starting at a ฿20,000 max fine down to a ฿3000 road side payment. I stayed stubborn and mentioned dealing with anti corruption department. Was promptly retested and let go without payment.

Hard to believe? I have cab cam proof!

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years.

I have never been stopped by the police

I have never been asked to pay a bribe.

I think this is normal for most people living here.

If you do do read Thaivisa you would probably never know this sort of thing ever happened

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years.

I have never been stopped by the police

I have never been asked to pay a bribe.

I think this is normal for most people living here.

If you do do read Thaivisa you would probably never know this sort of thing ever happened

Do you live in a tourist area or in the back of beyond? Do you drive? Work? Been involved in property at all?

I simply can't believe you've never been asked to pay anything under the table in 12 years or even been stopped by the police.

I have been stopped at a drink drive test spot and had a reading of 55. Wasn't impressed as only had half a bottle of LEO with dinner 30 minutes before. The police tried to wrangle money out of me starting at a ฿20,000 max fine down to a ฿3000 road side payment. I stayed stubborn and mentioned dealing with anti corruption department. Was promptly retested and let go without payment.

Hard to believe? I have cab cam proof!

Then it would be easy for you to upload it to youtube or anwhere else. Yes show us please if you want to be believed.

I'm not saying it never happened but we could name and shame a few cops if what you tell is the truth.