What happen is you fail the exam for ED visa extention ?

All is in the title :-)

My question is : What happen if you fail the test when the immigration officers try to test your thai skills.

Do they offer you to stay few days more, just 1 day ? is it possible to be immediately arrested and put in an airplane ?

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated if you or one of your friends are in this situation.

I am currently in my last visa extension (9 month), with an ED visa, from a serious and well-known school of bangkok, my next extension should be made before the 15 of january.

Thanks in advance,

At Chaeng Wattana if your Thai skills are not up to scratch or if for whatever reason they don't like you, you get 60 days instead of 90.

Every ED visa student going for a 90 day extension at Cheang Wattana, do they test them all in speaking & reading/writing?

It would be good for others who have done this in the past to give an idea of exactly what they do in those tests to help others to prepare thoroughly.

At Chaeng Wattana if your Thai skills are not up to scratch or if for whatever reason they don't like you, you get 60 days instead of 90.

Every ED visa student going for a 90 day extension at Cheang Wattana, do they test them all in speaking & reading/writing?

It would be good for others who have done this in the past to give an idea of exactly what they do in those tests to help others to prepare thoroughly.

'For the speaking it was a general conversation with the immigration officer. How long have lived here, where do you live, do you work here at all, where's your school, do you like it- then with the Japanese student me and him were just chatting normally in Thai- about our respective countries, about families etc. That was all unscripted though. I guess they just wanted to see if we could hold a conversation in Thai (and also to amuse themselves as someone filmed it, chuckling away).

Reading was barely touched upon- there was something in a form I'd forgotten to sign- she pointed out where I and to sign- I read the thai word under the signature bar as I was signing it and I guess that was enough to satisfy. So can't really help with what they'll ask to read.

Writing- asked me to write my name and my home country.

All in all it's pretty easy if you've been attending classes- I have been skimping a bit on the writing so I screwed up half of that.'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781533-new-rules-for-ed-visa/page-5#entry8807761

9 months of studying in serious school can give enough knowledge to not fail any immigration tests. Really. At least you can introduce yourself and talk about what you do in the Kingdom and your family. This is far by enough even in Government official test at MOE :)

9 months of studying in serious school can give enough knowledge to not fail any immigration tests. Really. At least you can introduce yourself and talk about what you do in the Kingdom and your family. This is far by enough even in Government official test at MOE smile.png

Immigration and MOE are two separate entities.

While MOE test is a joke (every body passes), immigration is potluck.

Asking fast questions deliberately, mocking the student's abilities in front of the other officers and not sticking to appropriate level is common place now in CW Immigration office.

'For the speaking it was a general conversation with the immigration officer. How long have lived here, where do you live, do you work here at all, where's your school, do you like it- then with the Japanese student me and him were just chatting normally in Thai- about our respective countries, about families etc. That was all unscripted though. I guess they just wanted to see if we could hold a conversation in Thai (and also to amuse themselves as someone filmed it, chuckling away).

Reading was barely touched upon- there was something in a form I'd forgotten to sign- she pointed out where I and to sign- I read the thai word under the signature bar as I was signing it and I guess that was enough to satisfy. So can't really help with what they'll ask to read.

All in all it's pretty easy if you've been attending classes- I have been skimping a bit on the writing so I screwed up half of that.'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781533-new-rules-for-ed-visa/page-5#entry8807761

Wrong

They don't "just " want to see if you can hold a conversation.

After 3months you have to answer questions said really fast, no repeating slowly and none of the easy basic ones you mentioned .

After 6 months you have to write something in Thai correctly. The date of the day is also often asked and you better know your months of the year.

Experience yesterday of a friend in Bangkok. Asked to read Thai sentences. She explained after only 3 months at the school (PRO) she could hardly be expected to read Thai. For whatever reason, gave my friend only 2 months. <deleted>.

• Like 1

I got 60 days instead of 90 days on my visit last Friday. I was told if my Thai improved next time they would give me 90 days. They only asked a couple of basic questions in Thai which I could answer but I guess not to their satisfaction. They did ask if I could read and write Thai which I thought was a bit silly for my first extension. Honestly they seemed a little annoyed that when I arrived at immigration a school official gave me a number that was already a good 30 numbers earlier than where they were currently. It was after my explanation of where I was when my number was originally called that the officer got up and conferred with his boss and came back with the 60 days verdict.

It was a bummer but it's my own fault for not studying more.

You should at least be able to speak basic Thai by now, what's the problem ?. Anyway at my first immigration test i was asked "Passathai?" Me "Pom passathai nid noi na krap... Me passathai, mai kaojauleaw",, He laughed...It worked

EDIT: TRANSLATION,,,,,,"I speak Thai a little but i will never understand"

Edited by lucifer666

Wrong

After 3months you have to answer questions said really fast, no repeating slowly and none of the easy basic ones you mentioned .

After 6 months you have to write something in Thai correctly. The date of the day is also often asked and you better know your months of the year.

It's what happened to someone else, not my quote. There's no right or wrong, every test will be different and down to the whims of the tester, surely.

When I first started studying Thai on the ED Visa I went to immigration for my first extension and skills test. The immigration officer asked me a few questions in Thai; I had no clue what she was saying. She looked up at me and said you’re not studying I’ll give you 90 more days, but if you come back next time without improvement I will not extend your visa.

Needless to say at that point I realized I really had to get to work. It was a difficult task but now I can speak, read and write, the process took me 5 years. If you can maintain your motivation it’s well worth the time, it’s a completely different life living in Thailand when you can communicate in Thai.

Right, but five years! ... far from 3 month it seemsfacepalm.gif

2fishin2, it's impossible to compare how long a child studying thai would take to be able to pass the same sort of test as children are sponges and pick languages up in a very short time whereas, for an adult with other things to do other than to just learn a language all day it would take 3 to 4 times longer. There are exceptions to this, such as the people already speaking 2 or 3 languages already. It seems the more languages we already speak, the easier and quicker we pick up more.

• Like 1

2fishin2, it's impossible to compare how long a child studying thai would take to be able to pass the same sort of test as children are sponges and pick languages up in a very short time whereas, for an adult with other things to do other than to just learn a language all day it would take 3 to 4 times longer. There are exceptions to this, such as the people already speaking 2 or 3 languages already. It seems the more languages we already speak, the easier and quicker we pick up more.

That, in a nutshell, sums up the issue.

Quite happy to use an ED visa to stay in Thailand, but have so much else to do apart from actually studying the language to a satisfactory level to comply (to the officers satisfaction) with such visa.

Wrong

That was my reply he was quoting up there. And it's not wrong.

It's me reporting my experiences exactly as they happened. Mileage may vary from person to person.

But yes, there were the basic easy questions I mentioned- word for word. It's not a fictitious report, I'm not making up things for the sake of it. And yes, when I asked her politely in Thai to repeat a question slowly, that's what the officer did.

And, yeah, they exactly wanted to see if I could hold a conversation in Thai. Which is why they had me to speak to the Japanese student. To see if we could hold a conversation in Thai. They even said that. What a massive pile of wrong, eh..? :)

What's the exact paperwork you bring with you to Chaeng Wattana when you go for your 90 day extension of stay? Before I heard people here saying they had to bring their rental contract, etc. Something that was never required before whenever I went there but that was about 8 months ago.

Edited by bbi1

I really fail to see what the problem is.

I am 72.

In 2012, was 70, I spent 4 months alone in Spain, listening to Thai vocab and phrases that I had downloaded from a web site - for free!

I let them play on my iPod and didn't pay any real attention to what they were saying.

Then I returned to Thailand and my new family were amazed at how much Thai I could speak!

Grammar - none - so what?

Basic words and questions - Dai = can.

I learned many phrases - Lot dai mi? can you reduce the price?

pǒm raa k khun. chup chup - made everybody laugh.

pǒm kîi-​nǐiao = tight fisted. etc

Just let the MP3 play in the background and you will just soak it up in time, without any effort.

Reading / writing a different story - pǒm kîi-​gìiat = lazy.....

I was so impressed with the free stuff that I signed up for the podcast for a year and downloaded everything.

Hey but now I am with an English speaking Thai wife, we speak English all the time. (Sound familiar?)

The best for me is when I help my wife learn Spanish and I have to explain in Thai before I get the "Ohhhh".

I also bought the Word in the hand speaking dictionary - a Godsend!

So please make a little more effort and have no worries about tests.....

I used this free stuff

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/blog/free-thai-language-lessons-for-your-holiday/

then I bought it.

When I first started studying Thai on the ED Visa I went to immigration for my first extension and skills test. The immigration officer asked me a few questions in Thai; I had no clue what she was saying. She looked up at me and said you’re not studying I’ll give you 90 more days, but if you come back next time without improvement I will not extend your visa.

Needless to say at that point I realized I really had to get to work. It was a difficult task but now I can speak, read and write, the process took me 5 years. If you can maintain your motivation it’s well worth the time, it’s a completely different life living in Thailand when you can communicate in Thai.

Right, but five years! ... far from 3 month it seemsfacepalm.gif

Yes I know 5 years is a long time but that’s how long it took me to learn a the skill of being able to communicate with the Thai language. I’m sure there are others that learn faster than I do but I got there and that the point.

• Like 2

What's the exact paperwork you bring with you to Chaeng Wattana when you go for your 90 day extension of stay? Before I heard people here saying they had to bring their rental contract, etc. Something that was never required before whenever I went there but that was about 8 months ago.

No, no rental contract or anything. It's documents from the school in Thai, signed attendance record, there's a form they give you that you have to sign about overstay penalties, another two forms your school with give in English- one is a general who you are and where you stay form, and the other is (I think) the application for extension. Two passport photos.

Just the usual package.

For the 2nd year ED Visa with your first 90 day extension, do you need to also do a report of your address separately? I remember for the 1st year first extension, all was needed was the 90 day extension & the address was reported together.

For the 2nd year ED Visa with your first 90 day extension, do you need to also do a report of your address separately? I remember for the 1st year first extension, all was needed was the 90 day extension & the address was reported together.

You have a new visa and entry, so a new first extension thus no need to do a 90 day report on the first extension.

You have a new visa and entry, so a new first extension thus no need to do a 90 day report on the first extension.

Ah ok, thanks.

I've just read on a language school website that their students don't even need to go to immigration for 90 day extensions & 90 day reporting. I'm quite surprised by this. Is this true?

I know my school doesn't offer this. I've seen at immigration before one person come with 20-30 passports & that is really annoying when you are waiting for your number to be called. Guess that must be the case of a school like this...

We can also handle your 90 day reporting at immigration which is also necessary to confirm your present address. There is no charge for this service.

Some language academies will claim a ‘special relationship’ with the immigration department to enable these things to be done on your behalf. This very impressive for you! But in practice, any language academy operating within the law is usually able to offer the same service.