Advice needed on 90 day visa then retirement

I am planning to retire shortly. My plan is to apply for 90 day visa from where I am now, travel to Thailand to open the bank account and ensure the 800k, also obtain a permanent apartment before applying for retirement visa.

1) is it possible to apply for a 90 day visa in the country I am residing now? I have already renewed my passport so I have enough pages required. Thai does have embassy here.

I am American,

2) what are the requirements needed for 90 day visa?

I will make sure to use an agency to switch to retirement visa while in Thailand.

1. Yes. that would be the way to go.

2. That depends on the embassy you will be using. Some will wan to see money in a bank account or an income of X baht. But for a single non-O visa in many western countries no further requirements than being at least 50 year old.

• Like 1

You can only get the non-o based upon being 50 or over at one of the honorary consulates in the states. The embassy and the 3 official consulates will not do them because they only do the OA visa.

The rules are that the honorary consulates cannot accept mail in applications. If you are not near one you should contact the consulate in Portland by phone about the possibly of doing it by mail to them.

List of consulates is here: http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=consulate_honorary

• Like 1

Ok confused!

1) why would I need a U.S. Consulate? For what purpose? If it's about income... I won't need them for that.

2) the age is not a problem

3) If I am already in Thailand on 90 day visa. Open a bank acct with the required funds of 800k. Could I not proceed with retirement process within Thailand without having to fly halfway round the world back to U.S to initiate the process? By the way I will not be returning to U.S. From where I am now. Thanks for the reply!

1. Those I mentioned are all Thai consulates in the US. Based upon the assumption you were there.

All the info I gave you was to get the 90 day non-o visa.

You many be able to get the non-o visa where you are now. Tell us where you are now and we may be able to help.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

If you cannot get the non-o visa you should get a single entry tourist visa to start with. Then after you have the money in the bank you could change to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration. Then after you have that you would apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Based on my experience, there is no reason to apply for any visa at all overseas. Just arrive on 30 days stamp, then open bank account, deposit money and apply for 3 month OA visa at Thai Immigration. Make sure to do it within first few days of arrival. Between 2 and 3 months later apply for annual retirement extension. Total cost B1900 and B1900.

Worst thing would be to get tourist visa as it will require additional step of converting it to OA visa with extra fees.

Based on my experience, there is no reason to apply for any visa at all overseas. Just arrive on 30 days stamp, then open bank account, deposit money and apply for 3 month OA visa at Thai Immigration. Make sure to do it within first few days of arrival. Between 2 and 3 months later apply for annual retirement extension. Total cost B1900 and B1900. Worst thing would be to get tourist visa as it will require additional step of converting it to OA visa with extra fees.

"...then open bank account, deposit money and apply for 3 month OA visa at Thai Immigration."

Thai immigrations does not issue O-A visas, only Thai consulates and embassies in the country of your legal residence.

You're talking about a conversion to a non-imm O entry based on your expectation that you will apply for an extension of stay. It is not a non-imm O-A visa and it's really only a conversion of your entry, which will allow you 90 days permission to stay in Thailand.

During the last 30-45 days of the permission to stay you receive when doing the conversion, you can apply for the extension of stay based on retirement. These days, I believe, the only office that will do the conversion is in Bangkok. The extension of stay would be done at the office that serves your residential area.

My plan is to apply for 90 day visa from where I am now, travel to Thailand to open the bank account and ensure the 800k, also obtain a permanent apartment before applying for retirement visa.

Your ultimate aim is to get an extension of stay based on retirement, not a retirement visa. If you are legally resident in Kuwait, you may be able to obtain a non-imm O there or, if you want to go through the somewhat more difficult process, even a Non-imm-O-A, which many people call a 'retirement visa." When I was living/working in the UAE I got a non-imm O-A with no problem, but it does involve a bit more running around.

The advantage to the O-A is that you can stretch out your permission to stay in Thailand for nearly two years before the need to apply for an extension of stay.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I will check with Thai embassy here for further info if needed. I believe I have the jux of it. As long as I can do it either here or in a Thailand without traveling all the way back to US, and along with the responses I will get it done. Thanks!

Thanks all, I understand.

1) apply for 30 day stamp

2) make deposit

3) apply for OA for 90 day conversion

4) during last 45-30 days apply for an non-immig O visa.

Thanks again!!!

Coming in on a 30 day visa exempt entry is an option but you would only have 15 days to open a bank account transfer the money and apply for the conversion to a non immigrant visa (not an OA). But you can now extend the entry by 30 days at immigration.

Another problem with coming in on a visa exempt entry is you may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days.of arrival to board your flight.

You do have the option of proving an income of 65K baht by way fo an income affidavit from the US embassy. Or combination of money in bank and income totaling 800k baht,

If possible you should still try to get a single entry non-o visa or a single entry tourist visa to give you more time to open the bank account. This info on embassy website states residency is required to apply for a visa. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kuwait/contents/files/services-20141010-235704-945873.jpg You should contact them to confirm the requriements.

Yes get your Non O if you can before you come. Non O is only available at Bangkok immigration. and takes 2 days.

Follow UbonJoe's advice I am from the US and much better to get before you arrive.

Just check the requirements of that Thai consulate or embassy first. You may need to go to the US embassy for an income letter first. Good luck.

Yes get your Non O if you can before you come. Non O is only available at Bangkok immigration. and takes 2 days.

It is not only Bangkok. Hat Yai and Chiang Mai immigration can do them also.

It takes two trips to get them. In Bangkok they tell you to come back in 15 days to the get the visa/entry stamps done.

Many people are now making trips out to one of the nearby embassies or consulates now to get a single entry non-o instead of doing the conversion.

Thanks! I will inquire with the Thai Embassy here to see if they offer the Non O. If not then will have to get done in Thailand. They do offer the 30-60-90 day visa here, so I may opt for the double entry 60 day visa then work the rest (non-O) after arriving to Thailand and opening the bank acct. with the 800k deposit.

I don't want to be pressed for time in getting things done, just to be safe. Plus I want a apartment ( rent or purchase) have not decided which yet, am looking at both options.

Anyway thanks guys it has been informative and will be sure to investigate all the options everyone offered.

See ya there:)

2) make deposit

Thanks again!!!

Coming in on a 30 day visa exempt entry is an option but you would only have 15 days to open a bank account transfer the money and apply for the conversion to a non immigrant visa (not an OA). But you can now extend the entry by 30 days at immigration.

Another problem with coming in on a visa exempt entry is you may need to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days.of arrival to board your flight.

You do have the option of proving an income of 65K baht by way fo an income affidavit from the US embassy. Or combination of money in bank and income totaling 800k baht,

If possible you should still try to get a single entry non-o visa or a single entry tourist visa to give you more time to open the bank account. This info on embassy website states residency is required to apply for a visa. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kuwait/contents/files/services-20141010-235704-945873.jpg You should contact them to confirm the requriements.

You know this is exactly what I did: arrived on 30 days stamp, 1 day after arrival, walked in to US embassy and got B65k+ income certification (with previously scheduled appointment), 2 days later I got 90 days visa at bkk immigration.

Any recent developments that make the above schedule impossible?

Also, do embassies still require medical certificate for OA visa? They did last time I checked and found it too cumbersome route for retirement extension.

Edited by daxbr

2) make deposit

Thanks again!!!

You know this is exactly what I did: arrived on 30 days stamp, 1 day after arrival, walked in to US embassy and got B65k+ income certification (with previously scheduled appointment), 2 days later I got 90 days visa at bkk immigration.

Any recent developments that make the above schedule impossible?

Also, do embassies still require medical certificate for OA visa? They did last time I checked and found it too cumbersome route for retirement extension.

He has only mentioned the 800.000baht deposit which has to be in the bank 2 months before he can apply for a extension of stay.

you can not obtain a Thai visa inside Thailand. visas are only issued at embassies or consulates. correct me if I m wrong.

You're wrong. You can obtain a "conversion" 90 day O visa IN Thailand as step 1 in a two step retirement extension process. The second step is the annual retirement extension.