Chinese tourists going to Thailand, or where else in the world ?

crazygreg44

Hi, I took the following from another TV thread ( the story on the chinese couple who bahaved rude aboard an Air Asia flight)

A BIG question arose when I re-read this :

"As well as the editorial, the China Daily carried a separate bylined commentary saying that it was "not the first time that a handful of 'ugly' tourists have given Chinese travellers a bad name".
It called on tourism authorities to take "strict measures" aimed at "properly handling" the increasing number of Chinese travellers.
Chinese tourists made 98 million overseas trips in 2013 and that figure is expected to surpass 116 million this year, it said."
Does this mean, the 2,5 million chinese tourists that travel to Thailand every year, are just a drop into the hot kettle ?? Why would TAT be proud of 'so many million chinese come visiting Thailand' , when in fact 95.5 million chinese tourists choose NOT to come and go elsewhere. How good, or how better are other destinations compared to what Thailand has to offer ?
If I was a TAT official, my armhair would start to rise while I'd desparately try to seek out what's so obviously wrong . . . .

I don't see what difference it makes how many go to other countries. Is it a competition for the largest percentage of Chinese tourists?

2.5 million is a lot, and it seems half of those showed up in my neighborhood in Chiang Mai all at once.

• Like 1

I don't see what difference it makes how many go to other countries. Is it a competition for the largest percentage of Chinese tourists?

2.5 million is a lot, and it seems half of those showed up in my neighborhood in Chiang Mai all at once.

Exactly. It seems that some people go out of their way to try and bash the Thais, even when it's such a reach. Crazygreg, you're pretty pathetic.

• Like 2

Chinese tourism statistics are misleading.

They include Hong Kong and Macau and their numbers, and those two destination make up a majority of their tourists

Hong Kong got about 41 million Chinese tourists in 2013, Macau 19 million.

Thailand was by far the largest actual foreign destination, with 4.7 million in 2013

http://knowledge.ckgsb.edu.cn/2014/08/18/china/holiday-diary-chinese-outbound-tourism-statistics/

They include Hong Kong and Macau and their numbers, and those two destination make up a majority of their tourists

Thailand was by far the largest actual foreign destination, with 4.7 million in 2013

http://knowledge.ckgsb.edu.cn/2014/08/18/china/holiday-diary-chinese-outbound-tourism-statistics/

"A February 2014 poll from Chiang Mai University found that 80% of Chiang Mai residents were not happy with the massive influx of Chinese tourists thanks to the popularity of Lost in Thailand."

Amen to that.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

Ah, thanks for the hints.

I did some research and found this site, containing more detailed information. My assumptions were misleading.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/tourism/2013statistics/outbound.htm

• Like 1

Malaysia gets a lot of Chinese tourists. Especially Penang and other towns on the west coast, enough of the people speak some dialect of Chinese, and most of the signs are multi-lingual. And they can get (somewhat) familiar food.

post-12743-0-36977000-1418703065_thumb.j

• Like 1

Their next destination is England as the Brits have same day visa application now and denying their own citizens passport renewal rights and have everything channeled to HK office

There is a major feature on the pub culture there in a major travel magazine in China right now and j can imagine all the Brits fretting tonight at 4 million Chinese coming in to take pictures of your pub and not drinking

Hahahah :)

• Like 1