Matichon: Dissolution of the Royal Thai Police

george

Anyone who believes dissolving the RTP will remove Thaksin's support is barking mad. No matter the propaganda and anti Thaksin rhetoric, when democracy is eventually restored and fair elections are held, there will be only one winner. Thaksin and his supporters just have to sit this out and bide their time. wai.gif

Oh yes. And I hope a list of these running dog revisionist lackeys who support the coup on this forum will be given to the first democratically elected government and they can all find another junta to live under.

I prefer the one we have now,stay as long as you like boys,woof woof.

Wow! This is huge! If done properly, this will be a huge boost to Thailand. Thailand is famous for being "lawless" and the lawlessness has always attracted a lot of shady characters from overseas. I hope this will change.

One thing that is needed, is to get rid of all the useless police. EVERY police officer in Thailand should be tested with written exams and practical tests, to see who can do their job and who can't. The ones unfit for the job should be kicked out, demoted or sent back to police school.

You know this will turn into a major disaster. Moving the corruption around will not solve anything. They need to look at the 10 best police departments in the world. Determine what makes them the best and create that model.

Looking outside of Thailand? Why?

You know this will turn into a major disaster. Moving the corruption around will not solve anything. They need to look at the 10 best police departments in the world. Determine what makes them the best and create that model.

Really? This is Thailand. Hub of original thinking. No need to ask anyone or seek any outside inspiration. Other countries are not like Thailand. Thailand system needed to suit Thai people and Thai mindset. Talking about following other countries' example is a waste of time. Thailand is for Thai people doing things in the Thai way. (Well we can hope we don't hear loud choruses of the above.)

• Like 1

So the two political parties in Thailand commence war. The Army and the Police. Bit of a Hobson's choice as they're not really any different are they. I feel for the regular Thais, it's their country. Ultimately Farangs have the option to leave if they wish to.

Ask any Thai about who will win,Taharn every time.

Are Taharn pran still local volunteers? Either way, the regular Thais (meaning not corrupt hiso types) just get told what's happening and accept the loudest voice at that time

I know this is controversial but... How about paying the police a salary they can actually live on so there isn't the very real need to supplement their salary? Add in good training and the opportunity to progress up the ranks on merit not on payments would help too. The police are probably the most looked down on part of Thai society and that is probably well founded. Give them something to be proud of and rewards commensurate with the positions achieved etc just like in the real World

• Like 1

Clearly this information needs to be taken in context of the handing over of the head of the CIB a few weeks back.....this is a change of allegiance at the very highest level in exchange for a greater prize...Thaksin only ever had one hope of coming back and that hope has just abonded him...that is what this and previous events are all about...doesnt take a rocket scientist.

The Royal Police have men with guns...just like the Thai Military...this could become an internal power struggle between the two forces for control of the Thai government, economy, and the benefits thereof...

A lot of the cops on the street (and in charge ) are getting really old. I would think they would be happy to take a generous package if offered. That would lead the younger (and better paid) cops up the career ladder sooner.

A BIG WOW!

Total shot across the bows and blowing the figurehead off of the police ship.

Give assorted ministries security budgets that exceed the police force budgets spent on the ministries security,

and you cut down on ministry disloyalty and so spying to the police hierarchy on ministry decisions,

and thus reducing the corruption for the BIB security, used to justify making ends meet.

Splitting up forces from central command and splitting off the hiring firing committee, so that lower down,

less beholden players make the local hire/fire decisions, seems prudent too.

Should low the graft taking needed to gain advancement up the force.

Taking Thaksin's political control away is a bedrock must do,

and this looks like a well thought out way to achieve that.

Thaksin's control is top down, if you divide the top echelons and pit them against each other,

and put in leaders that can not be swayed back to Thaksinistas, then it effectively cuts his feet off.

Which you put in a new cork in several smaller jugs, it is much harder to syphon off the contents,

than if it is one old cork in a big barrel.

There is more to this no doubt, but this alone is a major sea change.

The buzz around the office is that this is not a done deal yet.
Yeah, not surprising, but just putting it out there like this, is an all out declaration of war, well beyond nailing the CID chief and his network of graft mongers. Or temporarily stoping Sukhumvit knocking shop income.

This is a clear threat to fundamental status quo existence of police power, and Thaksin's reach. The last attempt to curtail Thaksin's control of the country was demonstrably ineffective, the whys and how's of what was not done right before must not have been lost on some important players in our current drama.

A lot of the cops on the street (and in charge ) are getting really old. I would think they would be happy to take a generous package if offered. That would lead the younger (and better paid) cops up the career ladder sooner.

Do you really think the GOV is going to pay more in a lump sum than these men get yearly in payoffs, briberies, extortion, and checkpoints? Come on! Some were getting 3.5 million to give a cop a promotion.

Anyone who believes dissolving the RTP will remove Thaksin's support is barking mad. No matter the propaganda and anti Thaksin rhetoric, when democracy is eventually restored and fair elections are held, there will be only one winner. Thaksin and his supporters just have to sit this out and bide their time. wai.gif

Oh yes. And I hope a list of these running dog revisionist lackeys who support the coup on this forum will be given to the first democratically elected government and they can all find another junta to live under.

I prefer the one we have now,stay as long as you like boys,woof woof.

Running dog lackeys in this forum, eh?

LOL

Sounds like a veiled threat, in the style of the Cultural Revolution, that when the 'fascists calling themselves the people's friends' regain power democratically, in theory, anyone shown to be against the former corrupt democracy government will be abused or attacked for it by the next democratically elected government. So start installing fear to silence support for anti/corruption moves now, in case that works.

Yes, silence those revisionistas against the great class struggle, Red Guards ready to roll, when the godhead signals once again the struggle can start again. Personality cult ready to go, ramp up the fear and pocket the profits and power points for a new dawn.

Yadaa yadaa yadaa.

• Like 1

Off subject perhaps, but what happened to the suggestion couple years back that police start being concerned about their

physical image and get in shape?

No more french fries 5 times a day types! They're still out there all over the place. And

in those tight uniforms the look is not always good!

How about firing the entire force, then recruit again based on knowledge, past experience and few tests to pass.

In the mean time military can take over policing, can not be any worse than it is now

Elsewhere, it is common to use:

Application

Application screening

Written test

Physical agility/ability test

Psychological evaluation

Background check

Criminal history check

Polygraph/voice stress analyzer for deception

Interview

Then talk about hiring them.

Those that pass go to the Police Academy and then a Field Training Program.

Then a probationary period.

Annual evaluations.

Substandard are let go.

Successful officers compete for promotion via civil service testing

And pay them a living salary so they don't repeat what's been common practice.

Also, get rid of the horrid, impractical, para-military, brown costumes. Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysian Police seem to have moved into the modern era without all the ribbons, wings and other trinkets.

It sounds like a lot and time consuming. Correct on both counts. Buy chep. Buy twice.

Thailand only need look south to the Singapore Police and the great job they have done since the 1960s and 70s.

• Like 2

As long as the junta and the military stay out of it...it sounds good.

Please explain to me, the difference between the junta and the army.

Most people don't pronounce Junta correctly while everyone says army as it supposed to sound. Thats the best I got?

• Like 1

How about firing the entire force, then recruit again based on knowledge, past experience and few tests to pass.

In the mean time military can take over policing, can not be any worse than it is now

Elsewhere, it is common to use:

Application

Application screening

Written test

Physical agility/ability test

Psychological evaluation

Background check

Criminal history check

Polygraph/voice stress analyzer for deception

Interview

Then talk about hiring them.

Those that pass go to the Police Academy and then a Field Training Program.

Then a probationary period.

Annual evaluations.

Substandard are let go.

Successful officers compete for promotion via civil service testing

And pay them a living salary so they don't repeat what's been common practice.

Also, get rid of the horrid, impractical, para-military, brown costumes. Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysian Police seem to have moved into the modern era without all the ribbons, wings and other trinkets.

It sounds like a lot and time consuming. Correct on both counts. Buy chep. Buy twice.

Thailand only need look south to the Singapore Police and the great job they have done since the 1960s and 70s.

Oh yes the Singapore Police force is rather strong, and they should be considering their huge numbers backed up with some 40,000 Auxiliary police which are now used in a more active role for enforcement and response tasks. I would wonder who is going to formulate the structure proposed with the people and experience just to manage it most likely being the very ones being fired.

As to the cost, it would be huge, along with the associated wage increases for police, I'm not sure the country could take it, socially, imagine police salaries coming up to 60K a month. I'd hope its just accepted and is not a new source of animosity.

Indeed, sweeping changes are needed in the Thai Royal Police Force, in the face of rampant corruption. A comprehensive reform will take some time, but still, there is no way to be sure that the new Police will be any more honest than those who have bought their positions already. I applaud the initiative, but remain very skeptical that it will ever move beyond the talking stage. It is a huge undertaking and those in command positions now will not go away quietly after so many years of being on the take.

Am I correct in thinking that this was just a 'Proposal', perhaps one of many?