I am trying to understand Thai logic

elgordo38

Logic is a mystery to most. In the West, we usually refer to the thinking of Aristotle, but, there are other concepts of logic, e.g. paradox logic of Eastern philosophy or the illogical behaviour of particles in quantum physics.

It is nonsense to apply rules of logic to the decisions of a Thai lady. That is also true for the boastful assessments of their "tamers" . It is more about experience and the lack thereof. . A high IQ may help to make logical decisions. A high EQ may help to make better decisions. Example: They say that Jimmy Carter had a high IQ and low EQ. He was very unsuccessful. Ronald Reagan had a low IQ but a high EQ. He was successful.

Why don't we take a look at the decisions of our highly educated, highly paid Government officials and their logic when it comes to wasting tax payers money, just to pick one example. Did you know that the U.S. National Institutes of Health was given $800,000 to study the impact of a "genital washing program" on men in South Africa? Kudos also to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for giving $700,000 to find out that dairy cows emit more gas through burping than farting.

I rest my case. CapeCobra

http://www.businessinsider.com/government-wastes-money-2010-12?op=1

If you really want a hoot; try the National Science Foundation's list of grants given.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to understand the logic behind some of the replies...............never mind the Thais.

thai bashing needs no logic

Neither does racism, religion, political affiliation, superiority complexes, personal relationships, or posting on TV. So, why bother? Most people are so logically challenged they cannot draw a logical conclusion. They simply bleat the last agreeable words they hear.

I will tell you this.

I will absolutely refuse to be with a girl that sends money home even if it is not my money. Does not matter if the girl is good or bad. This is not a I am better than you statement, it is simply for the fact that her family will always be he more important and I will come last. I just want to be in a normal relationship. Find a gal who's family is set. Not rich, but they have pension, some land (preferably that was there for a few generations), steady income from palm and rubber and you won't have to worry about this crap.

BTW, smoking and drinking is not an attribute of a bad girl. They come in many varieties. Most bad girls do take very good care of themselves.

I will tell you this.

I will absolutely refuse to be with a girl that sends money home even if it is not my money. Does not matter if the girl is good or bad. This is not a I am better than you statement, it is simply for the fact that her family will always be he more important and I will come last. I just want to be in a normal relationship. Find a gal who's family is set. Not rich, but they have pension, some land (preferably that was there for a few generations), steady income from palm and rubber and you won't have to worry about this crap.

BTW, smoking and drinking is not an attribute of a bad girl. They come in many varieties. Most bad girls do take very good care of themselves.

Gee what if she owes child support?

Been here for 14 years. There is no Thai logic, mate! coffee1.gif

i agree with you been with the wife for 10 years she works hard and when she come home through the front door you never know what to expect one day happy next moody then ok then problem then wont talk then dont shut up then loveing careing next could not care less what i do but thats women i think half the time they dont know what they want so how the hell we meant to know and for being in thailand for 14 years think i go mad

You have just described practically every woman I have ever known, regardless of country...

Men are from Mars and women are from some other <deleted> universe...

To the OP:

The Thai Education system does not promote thinking outside the box, nor does it encourage creativity and imagination. The results of that are what we are talking about. It's sometimes hard to understand that as we see these skills as fundamental.

• Like 1

I will tell you this.

I can never understand this sort of attitude. So you want a girl who doesn't care much for her parents, even if they're living in dirt huts and eating grass every day, you won't respect her if she tries to help them out? What you want is a totally selfish winch. I've got news for you. A girl like this will only have one person on her priority list and it still won't be you.

Just curious, if you want a girl who thinks the same as you, why not look in your home country?

• Like 1

I will tell you this.

I can never understand this sort of attitude. So you want a girl who doesn't care much for her parents, even if they're living in dirt huts and eating grass every day, you won't respect her if she tries to help them out? What you want is a totally selfish winch. I've got news for you. A girl like this will only have one person on her priority list and it still won't be you.

Just curious, if you want a girl who thinks the same as you, why not look in your home country?

No. Can you not understand in simple English what I wrote?

I do not want the girl who sends monthly payments to her parents. Period.

It has nothing to do if the girl is good or bad. I do not respect a girl less or more. I simply do not want to be involved in a relationship like this that will make my life more difficult. End of story. There are plenty of woman that are self sufficient and have self sufficient parents. Again, end of story.

If that makes me selfish so be it, but to counter this argument many Westerners who come to Thailand end up with girls at least half their age. That is selfish too. Well, you can have a pleasure of a much younger girl and most likely will have to put up with all the money garbage that comes with this relationship. It is not a general rule, but it is a fact in majority of cases. I choose to be with someone close to my age as I am more concerned about my health than dealing with money issues. I realize that there are going to be other issues, but this is one less issue for me to deal with. If I feel like charity me and my girl will donate to the poor. End of story :)

• Like 2

I will tell you this.

It has nothing to do if the girl is good or bad. I do not respect a girl less or more. I simply do not want to be involved in a relationship like this that will make my life more difficult. End of story. There are plenty of woman that are self sufficient and have self sufficient parents. Again, end of story.

If that makes me selfish so be it, but to counter this argument many Westerners who come to Thailand end up with girls at least half their age. That is selfish too. Well, you can have a pleasure of a much younger girl and most likely will have to put up with all the money garbage that comes with this relationship. It is not a general rule, but it is a fact in majority of cases. I choose to be with someone close to my age as I am more concerned about my health than dealing with money issues. I realize that there are going to be other issues, but this is one less issue for me to deal with. If I feel like charity me and my girl will donate to the poor. End of story smile.png

you want a girl who hasnt been brought up to believe in what thai society believes to be part of being a good son or daughter or one you can bully into abandoning that belief. end of story.

I thought it is 2015 ....not....1950...

I will tell you this.

If that makes me selfish so be it, but to counter this argument many Westerners who come to Thailand end up with girls at least half their age. That is selfish too. Well, you can have a pleasure of a much younger girl and most likely will have to put up with all the money garbage that comes with this relationship. It is not a general rule, but it is a fact in majority of cases. I choose to be with someone close to my age as I am more concerned about my health than dealing with money issues. I realize that there are going to be other issues, but this is one less issue for me to deal with. If I feel like charity me and my girl will donate to the poor. End of story smile.png

you want a girl who hasnt been brought up to believe in what thai society believes to be part of being a good son or daughter or one you can bully into abandoning that belief. end of story.

A lot of assumptions. I did not bully anyone. She just does not send money. Why would that mean she doesn't care about her parents? Do you send money to your parents? This is like saying all Greek daughters live in their parents house until they marry.

So, how much do you give? If you give money to her parents, do you give money to your parents too?

And the bolded part just reeks of hypocrisy. She doesn't care about me because she doesn't send money to her parents, but she cares about you because you apparently do send money? LOL

Is it fair to say that maybe she does not send money to her parents because as I mentioned before they are self sufficient.

I mean... do some people here understand the concept of a middle class?

Again, I was not making a judgemental post (however, you did). I was just saying the reason why I would not be with a girl that sends money to family. One less thing to worry about. End of story :)

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 1

Absolutely no logic, or reason. And an astonishing lack of common sense. Some are blessed with a bit of those qualities. But, most are not. Get used to it. And remember, Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. And I say that with great affection. I love the place, and the enigmatic quality of daily life here.

I realize how important family is here. But, when the sibling of your woman starts making ridiculous decisions, and behaving in an erratic or irresponsible fashion, you just have to encourage your woman to realize she just has to let her be, and let her learn her own lessons in life. Help her to learn how to say no. It can be a great lesson for a Thai family member to learn. My wife used to help as many of her friends as she could. She got burned a few times, and now she is much more careful. Same goes for this lost sister.

Edited by spidermike007

Absolutely no logic, or reason. And an astonishing lack of common sense. Some are blessed with a bit of those qualities. But, most are not. Get used to it. And remember, Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. And I say that with great affection. I love the place, and the enigmatic quality of daily life here.

spoken like a true chauvinist

• Like 1

If there is one thing I can count on, on this forum, it is your support and kindness. Keep it up.

• Like 1

If there is one thing I can count on, on this forum, it is your support and kindness. And your exceptional lack of humor, in a land that treasures humor! Keep it up.

If there is one thing I can count on, on this forum, it is your support and kindness. Keep it up.

with the thai bash posts regularly posted here, how could I do anything but?

as judged by you.

As judged by me, and many others, who, unlike you, are not blinkered and can see the truth.

your version of truth. many bigots agree

It would seem, by definition, that you are the bigot.

bigot

ˈbɪɡət/

noun

noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots

• a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

Perhaps you should sit in the corner, mumbling to yourself, in fear of being labelled a fool.

fool1

ːl/

noun

noun: fool; plural noun: fools

a person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person.

And yet you're the one who in several posts tells people with a different opinion to yours to return when their balls have dropped. Why don't you look up irony and hypocrite in that dictionary of yours.

I will tell you this.

"I just want to be in a normal relationship." Normal, by who's standard ? Maybe if by your standard you'll be looking for a long time.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

I can relate to what the OP says, and surely what he says about over-borrowing is about the Lenders-formal or informal.

In every country there are those who will max out their credit cards and other loans pdq if lenders are stupid enough to let them. Just look at the poor mortgage lending- and repossessions in any housing diownturn anywhere. Not just a thai thing, but very lax here. And here, driving a big shiny toy is about 'face'. In UK, they call it keeping up with the jones's. If your neighbour has a big car, you've gotta get one. Same same.

And the lack of any safety net/social security here for the old and poor has led to the culture of the young and able being expected to help. But then you get the able, work-shy in the family; the profligate; the drinkers - all expecting handouts too-and the system breaks down.

But the same traits exist in farang families with the difference that they generally dont expect a handout, but fall back on government support.

Human nature maybe- something for nothing.

Problem for the OP and for many of us is that the thai partner will keep talking about it. Not to get a handout, but because its family stuff and that inevitably gets discussed and it can be hard to now how to react. Other than to keep your wallet closed.

I sometimes wonder how much of this HiSo aspirational cr*p is driven by the tv drama watched by millions - big houses, wealthy people, wierd abusive relationships, and guns. Is that the norm/role model for many???

I will tell you this.

"I just want to be in a normal relationship." Normal, by who's standard ? Maybe if by your standard you'll be looking for a long time.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

I have looked for literally one week and together now for 18 months. One just needs to know where to look. So much anger.... Mai kao jai

I will tell you this.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

I have looked for literally one week and together now for 18 months. One just needs to know where to look. So much anger.... Mai kao jai

she's still convinced she can change you. 18 months aint that long

The mentality of getting into massive debt for a car baffles me.

Thai guy at my work. lovely lad and always came across as intelligent. He owned his pickup outright, great old banger clean and reliable (Mazda Fighter).

He sold it to pay for the deposit on a new BT-50, repayments on the new vehicle are Bt.9,000 per month. His salary is Bt.12,000 per month.

Go figure.

What sort of bullshit is spun to the finance company to allow this to happen as surely they can see he is in no position to make the repayments.

His Sister probably has a new farang boyfriend

I will tell you this.

You seem to have missed a major point, tgfaf said, "Find a gal who's family is set. Not rich, but they have pension, some land (preferably that was there for a few generations), steady income from palm and rubber and you won't have to worry about this crap."

Where do you read he wants, " . . . a girl who doesn't care much for her parents, even if they're living in dirt huts and eating grass every day . . ."?

• Like 2