Deestone tires only 3000 baht instead of 8000 Michelin ? any feedback ?

ThaiSanookGuy

Low profile tires - complete styling thing.

Ride hard, no sidewall to absorb shocks from bumps and holes. More noisy.

Oh - but they handle so much better ! Why don't Formula 1 use them ?

On a road as smooth as a snooker table - maybe.

Normal driving conditions and normal drivers, 65 or 75 aspect ratio tires are fine.

Except for brand-concious, Hi-So, look-at-me types.

• Like 2

I'm not a pilot and these roads are sometimes worst than in Africa !

Not yet any pothole alert even on the latest Benz...

Low profile tires are famous to be more fragile than standard one, it's not only me.

Steering wheel is very helpful for avoiding potholes..

3000km, hope that was a typo ?

Even 30,000km would be bad driving on Michelins.

• Like 2

^Yeah, I said something similar to your post but lost it before posting it and wasn't going to be bothered retyping it all over again. But low profile tires while having a short sidewall have the strongest sidewalls of any tire in their construction just that they don't absorb impact well due to no ability for flexibility thus driving around, instead of through potholes is preferable not to mention how it saves your suspension too. Soon if drivers don't have an aid for everything ala pot hole alerts, they won't be able to drive and truth of the matter is that many shouldn't already.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I also avoid potholes whenever I can.

But when - not if - I am forced to drive thru one, I sure am glad the tire will absorb some of the impact.

New rim much more $$$ than a new tire. If by some chance I can source one in the back of beyond where these things happen.

Especially a forged wheel. Not the much more common cast ones.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

I'm not a pilot and these roads are sometimes worst than in Africa !

Not yet any pothole alert even on the latest Benz...

Low profile tires are famous to be more fragile than standard one, it's not only me.

Steering wheel is very helpful for avoiding potholes..

3000km, hope that was a typo ?

Even 30,000km would be bad driving on Michelins.

Sorry chum but there are times when one cannot avoid them...........sad.png

• Like 1

If you drive close to the speed limit, the cheaper tire will be fine.

Drive 200 km in the rain, rail around the corners, blast up the hills ... Get rain tires.

Can't believe the French tires are 3 times better, at almost 3 times the price.

Marketing hype most of it.

I am on my fourth set of Michelin tyres for my Ford Ranger pickup and the car has only done 314,xxx km in 13 years.

Also I have never had a puncture from the roads either.

Your choice of course. I made mine and stuck with Michelin all the way.

• Like 1

It's pointless are they for a farm truck or aBMW?.

Benz coupe

You drive a Benz but are here asking about Deestone tires for it? Have you no shame? tongue.png

Don't worry, I get it - you don't have money to spend if you don't know how to spend money, but sheesh, you're taking it to another level biggrin.png

This is the reason why I didn't want to say, I know that people here always think that they know better :-)

I always had German cars because I can buy them but I really don't care and don't consider them any different than a Japanese car, so I drive everywhere and I have been changing tires every 3000 kms, so maybe you can understand why I am getting bored to buy Michelin ?!

In case you don't know the reason why some smart people can buy luxury cars if because they know how to spend and are not used to be cheated, but if I give 8000 to Michelin every 3 months I will start to think that I am cheated !

And also I don't believe any of the BS marketing of Michelin (because I am also a marketing bullshiter !) or any other brand, rubber is rubber and no rubber part deserves 8000 baht in my opinion !

How can you run a set of new tyres out in 3,000 km? Are you driving sideways with the brakes on?

The OEM Michelins on my Ford Ranger lasted a little under 100,000km which I think is good VFM.

• Like 1

A lot depends on the model of tire, not just the brand; there are some great USA websites that show the softness of the tire compound, amount of tread etc, and user ratings; to say XYZ brand is good or bad on personal experience is likely not so useful as reading reviews and seeing what many users say about certain tires.

That said, the tires that are made here are usually cheaper than the tires that are imported; Pirellis are a total rip off here and IMHO a good but not great tire, so not worth the money. Continentals and Michelins can be as good with wildly different pricing, however I've usually found the Japanese made in Thailand tires to be fine and that's been based on both driving pickups and performance cars. Personally I think it's better to get an upper/mid level tire and replace frequently, in the case of my car (staggered sizes front and back) the cost difference between Japanese and Pirelli is 3X, and there was a 3 month delay for replacement tires (rears), so it was an easy decision.

3000km is crazily bad for a set of tires though.

• Like 1

What is funny for me is that you all talk as if you were pilots...

...when most people I know just drive to Lotus or BigC !

So who really cares to have especially good tires ???

But there must be something that I do not understand, just as people who live a passion with their cars...

:-)

• Like 1

And also I don't believe any of the BS marketing of Michelin (because I am also a marketing bullshiter !) or any other brand, rubber is rubber and no rubber part deserves 8000 baht in my opinion !

What if that rubber part is the difference between looking at the back end of a lorry and being under the back end of a lorry?

I'd pay.

• Like 2

Tires are the only part of your vehicle that touch the road.

I used Triangle, then Champiro GT Radial, and finally Michelin in my last vehicle. The Michelin tires were quieter, lasted much longer and stuck to the road like glue when I took corners at speed. I replaced the Triangle tires a month after purchase. The Champiro tires were okay but I sliced the sidewall on a sharp curb.

Here is a problem I encountered a lot with the cheaper brand tyres after 6 months, I haven't had a Michy do this to me.

attachicon.giftyre.jpg

If I'm not mistaken that Tyre was manufactured in 1992. At least that's what the sidewall code says!

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

Edited by casualbiker

It's pointless are they for a farm truck or aBMW?.

Benz coupe

You drive a Benz but are here asking about Deestone tires for it? Have you no shame? tongue.png

Don't worry, I get it - you don't have money to spend if you don't know how to spend money, but sheesh, you're taking it to another level biggrin.png

This is the reason why I didn't want to say, I know that people here always think that they know better :-)

Ironic phrasing for someone who comes on to a forum for advice and then............................................................................................................

• Like 1

[quote name="BSJ" post="8855401" timestamp="1419600361"

Those Durals are more quality product from China....not!

We go thru many tires in a season on our tractors and trailers, mostly 11R24.5

The Chinese made tires stand up just as well as the name brands - although we use new tires on the steering axle as required by law.