People behind rice scheme will be sued to cover losses, Prayut says

Lite Beer

Actually she's the thai peoples hero who democratically elected her and her party.

Just don't recall the thai people electing this bloke who refuses to answer any queries on the way he and many others in the thai army amassed massive amounts of wealth.

Yingluck had a minority government, they got 48% of the votes.

Most resent poll in Isan on best government leaders:

Male: Prayut 34%, Thaksin 17% and Apisit 4,5% and the rest spreadout.

Female: Yingluck 36% and Paveena 3,5%... And 58% said that there where no qualified female leaders!

I would have like to see an overall but they had it separate.

That means that even with only one contender couldn't Yingluck manage to get over 50% of the votes! I wonder how much of a hero she really is?!

you don't really understand how the government worked do you?

That is past tense, of course, back in the days of elections, parliament, prime ministers, and such.

Edited by tbthailand

If they can actually nail someone for corruption and put an amount on it, i think they should try and recover it.

However bad the scheme is though, or money lost, it is just inconceivable that you could make people compensate for a poor scheme.

You would be right.. if they had budgeted for it. Now they acted like it would not cost a thing (make money actually). Every time someone came with information that it would be a bad program or would cost money they were bullied and persecuted. So that is a bit different as an expensive scheme.

Reason they did not budget it they had a max deficit already, so this was all done willfully and so quite normal try to recap the overspending.

I hope (but wont hold my breath) that if this works they will do it with other stuff too.

I see in the paper that we cannot name. The instigators of the rice scheme have all been excused. Even though rampant corruption is right there on paper for all to see. The programme was not a profit making enterprise anyway. It was always going to be a loss. It was a way to give back to the farmers a little bit of the billions of baht the make for this country through their hard work. The rice farmers are amongst the very poorest in Thailand. Everybody is making money except them. Now the government is trying to make another scheme to give back to the farmers. Same same but different. What will the Thai do if the farmers decide to stop growing rice.

IIRC, when the PTP were campaigning for the 2011 election, they said that even though they bought rice from the farmers at above market prices, they were going to hold onto it until the price went up and then sell at a profit. I think the term used was "wait until there was a natural disaster somewhere".

• Like 2

Who's this bloke to talk about rorting?

Query him and he flys off the handle.

He should stick to more important things like his new career as a Indian wedding planner.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "rorting"? Thanks.

Google is a wonderful thing. It's actually easier than posting on TV.

rort (redirected from rorting)
rort (rɔːt)
n
1. a rowdy party or celebration
2. a dishonest scheme
vb
3. to take unfair advantage of something

Just a thought but if any of this ever reaches the courts just how long will it take, if ever, to be decided ?

Well considering how the BBoC started in 1996 and is still not fully resolved.

They didn't nail Saxena till around 2012 or about 16 years.

"BBC collapsed in 1996 under bad debts of about 98 per cent of its total loans, requiring an injection of about Bt100 billion in public money. The fall of BBC represented the early signs that eventually led to the 1997 financial crisis, yet so far the authorities have been unable to put any white-collar criminals behind bars."

Hard not to imagine a dirty deal with even bigger players,

and an entire government, and an ENTIRE INDUSTRY,

will take a bit longer to prosecute....

• Like 2

So they are paying BT 2 billion a month storage but they are unwilling to sell the remaining rice at a discount to just get rid of it. Makes perfect sense

I would have to agree...at those storage prices how long would it take before they would have been better off to give it all away? Especially if such a low percentage is actually sellable.

As far as their new plan goes, I'm having a little trouble envisioning them being top world exporter and also "selling for a high price", I'm not so sure that goes hand in hand. If Vietnam is already vowing to take the number one exporter spot, then it's probably going to take some doing price-wise to keep them from doing that.

If this happens in the next five years, it will be the dawn of a new era in Thailand. That insiders and backhanders and crooked politicians will be held financially responsible for the losses they cost/caused is a pipe dream. I think the good PM is starting to believe his on rhetoric. I continue hope for the best and expect the worse and am rarely disappointed.

Good grief, even blind people have better perception of how Thai politics works than the junta goon squad. One of the reasons I've avoided you is that you are not exactly color blind and leans too much towards the yellow. But now I'm really curious about what makes you think that the former general can succeed where others have failed. Especially since he has no degree in political or analytical science nor any other form of necessary education needed to run a company less a country. Edited by maxme

I see in the paper that we cannot name. The instigators of the rice scheme have all been excused. Even though rampant corruption is right there on paper for all to see. The programme was not a profit making enterprise anyway. It was always going to be a loss. It was a way to give back to the farmers a little bit of the billions of baht the make for this country through their hard work. The rice farmers are amongst the very poorest in Thailand. Everybody is making money except them. Now the government is trying to make another scheme to give back to the farmers. Same same but different. What will the Thai do if the farmers decide to stop growing rice.

If you are talking about the BKK Post which you can name but cant quote from then it reports the PM as saying there will be both criminal and civil law suited brought over the scheme.

Actually, the BKK post article says that all the democrats (including former PM Vajjajiva, have been cleared of charges regarding the rice scheme.

I was so surprised I had to take a valium and meditate for an hour before I could breath again.

The reports after the hollow rice stockpile photos got out was that warehouses were inadequately ventilated, inadequately monitored and altogether inadequate. How on earth and why on earth is the government paying 2 billion a month in storage costs? That means they are paying 118 baht per ton per month. At the current median quote for a tonne of rice being 13800 baht these storage rates are Hilton Quality prices at hostel quality accommodations.

blink.png

If this happens in the next five years, it will be the dawn of a new era in Thailand. That insiders and backhanders and crooked politicians will be held financially responsible for the losses they cost/caused is a pipe dream. I think the good PM is starting to believe his on rhetoric. I continue hope for the best and expect the worse and am rarely disappointed.

Good grief, even blind people have better perception of how Thai politics works than the junta goon squad. One of the reasons I've avoided you is that you are not exactly color blind and leans too much towards the yellow. But now I'm really curious about what makes you think that the former general can succeed where others have failed. Especially since he has no degree in political or analytical science nor any other form of necessary education needed to run a company less a country.

....................'Especially since he has no degree in political or analytical science nor any other form of necessary education needed to run a company less a country."........................

Yingluck got away with it...................almost............just about.............kinda................sort of................practically.................cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Actually she's the thai peoples hero who democratically elected her and her party.

Just don't recall the thai people electing this bloke who refuses to answer any queries on the way he and many others in the thai army amassed massive amounts of wealth.

Most resent poll in Isan on best government leaders:

Male: Prayut 34%, Thaksin 17% and Apisit 4,5% and the rest spreadout.

Female: Yingluck 36% and Paveena 3,5%... And 58% said that there where no qualified female leaders!

I would have like to see an overall but they had it separate.

That means that even with only one contender couldn't Yingluck manage to get over 50% of the votes! I wonder how much of a hero she really is?!

you don't really understand how the government worked do you?

That is past tense, of course, back in the days of elections, parliament, prime ministers, and such.

I think it is crystal clear, even to the casual observer, how the YS/TS government worked.

It was even noted overseas I believe, and not in a good way.

• Like 1

Good grief, even blind people have better perception of how Thai politics works than the junta goon squad. One of the reasons I've avoided you is that you are not exactly color blind and leans too much towards the yellow. But now I'm really curious about what makes you think that the former general can succeed where others have failed. Especially since he has no degree in political or analytical science nor any other form of necessary education needed to run a company less a country.

Unlike Ronnie Reagan

....................'Especially since he has no degree in political or analytical science nor any other form of necessary education needed to run a company less a country."........................

Yingluck got away with it...................almost............just about.............kinda................sort of................practically.................cheesy.gif

It's like a broken record with you guys. Where did I mention she did a splendid job? But I know you have a problem at focusing at the issue or topic at hand. A way to deflect a real answer. An answer you don't have.

So I'll ask again, what has he accomplished and how is any better than the other failures that once claimed the PM chair?

• Like 1

Quote: "The prime minister said that of the 17 million tonnes of rice remaining when the post-coup administration started, only 2.35 million were up to standard. About 700,000 tonnes was in a bad condition while the remainder was of poor quality."

So, who in their right minds is going to buy the 700.000 tonnes in "Bad condition" and the remaining 14,643,000 tonnes?

More interestingly why is this squeaky clean government paying 2 billion/month to store garbage?

Friends/family in the warehouse business??

When are Prayuth and friends going to be sued for wasting taxpayer money??

Quote: "The prime minister said that of the 17 million tonnes of rice remaining when the post-coup administration started, only 2.35 million were up to standard. About 700,000 tonnes was in a bad condition while the remainder was of poor quality."

So, who in their right minds is going to buy the 700.000 tonnes in "Bad condition" and the remaining 14,643,000 tonnes?

More interestingly why is this squeaky clean government paying 2 billion/month to store garbage?

Friends/family in the warehouse business??

When are Prayuth and friends going to be sued for wasting taxpayer money??

In another thread a poster suggested that if the government sells below the price they paid themselves they should be held responsible for the loss and pay for it themselves.

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis

After the good general has made an example of the guilty, may I suggest he then investigates the fake bomb detectors that his mate Anupong sanctioned the buying of. They are all corrupt, you cant distinguish

At least with the rice scheme you got some dodgy rice in return for the investment, what about the General literally giving farmers 40 billion baht? will that be investigated?

Yep - the Thai people democratically elected her party, well a large minority of them did.

Then they got a Shin dictatorship headed by an offshore criminal fugitive and proceeded to become the most corrupt government even Thais can remember.

The were removed when allowing their supporters to murder and attack their opponents at will without fear of arrest or punishment.

The Shins own family wealth increased 450% in the years of Yinggy's administration. How much did the wealth of Thailand and the average Thai increase in the same period?

The people's hero (heroine actually, or do you mean her bother and master?) - you must be joking. Most Thais I know wouldn't now piss on her if she was on fire. And a lot of those had voted for her.

• Like 2

God Mikemac, I took you for a smarter one. Read through my posts. Where did I defend her and stop deflecting. The current administration is as corrupt if not worse than the previous one. I hate to think any westerner that have enjoyed the freedom and privilegies of democracy would support autocracy.

What evidence is there that the current administration is worse than the previous one?

I'm no fan of the current guy but as your comment - She was the Thai people's hero and got elected in?

What exactly did she do before she was Prime Minister that can make her become a hero?

She wasn't even involved in Politics. If Thai people class her as some type of hero in politics for not even being in politics then I'm afraid those people are a bit short of something on top.

• Like 1