Where can one dispose of batteries?

MrBrad

I've tried the search feature, but I'm coming up with nothing even though I'm sure this has been discussed in the past year or so.

Is there an ecologically safe place to deposit dead batteries in Chiang Mai?

I toss all my old batteries over the wall onto the grounds of the wat next door. I am NOT joking.

I sincerely hope that you are.

Thanks to Mr. Brad for reviving this Thread Topic--I must have many tens of used Lithium Ion batteries in various places [boxes, bags] around my house--not a safe option since they are highly volatile when 'dead'--but, I refuse to pollute this already heavily polluted rubbish system--I will take a huge bag full down to KSK--and try to find this elusive 'safe dump'--although, in Thailand, once this place gets full, what's the betting it gets emptied into the rubbish system?

In doing a bit of checking on the internet today, I was surprised to learn that alkaline batteries can be disposed of with regular household trash nowadays. A residual guilt within me starts to return when I think about just tossing batteries nilly-willy.

From Wikipedia:

Disposal

With the reduction in mercury in 1996, alkaline batteries are allowed to be disposed of as regular domestic waste in some locations. However, older alkaline batteries with mercury, and the remaining other heavy metals and corrosive chemicals in all batteries (new and old) still present problems for disposal especially landfills.[9][10] There is also the issue of simplifying the disposal of batteries to exclude them all so that the most toxic will be diverted from general waste streams.

Disposal varies by jurisdiction. For example the state of California considers all batteries as hazardous waste when discarded, and has banned the disposal of batteries with other domestic waste.[11] In Europe, battery disposal is controlled by the WEEE Directive and Battery Directive regulations, and as such alkaline batteries must not be thrown in with domestic waste. In the EU, most stores that sell batteries are required by law to accept old batteries for recycling.

Recycling

Alkaline batteries are not valuable materials, so disposal has a net cost to the party disposing of the material.

In the US, one company shreds and separates the battery case metals, manganese and zinc.[12] Another company mixes batteries in as a feedstock in steel making furnaces, to make low-grade steel such as rebar; the zinc fumes are recovered separately.[13]

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery#Leaks

Just been down to KSK to try and dispose of a dead laptop battery. No sign of a recycling point or specific trash bin for it. Asked a few locals in (half) decent Thai but got no joy other than a suggestion of Computer Plaza or Icon Square area. Could it have been moved to make way for the childrens day stuff that is being set up near the post office through the back of KSK? If it is still there, and we just couldn't see it for looking, could someone give me some idiot-proof directions? Many thanks.

Just been down to KSK to try and dispose of a dead laptop battery. No sign of a recycling point or specific trash bin for it. Asked a few locals in (half) decent Thai but got no joy other than a suggestion of Computer Plaza or Icon Square area. Could it have been moved to make way for the childrens day stuff that is being set up near the post office through the back of KSK? If it is still there, and we just couldn't see it for looking, could someone give me some idiot-proof directions? Many thanks.

It's in the underground parking lot. If you go to the level where the enterence to the Kad Lanna is (looking out you can see the post office) it is right there close to the stairs. In the event I am going senile, you walk 1/2 a flight of stairs (also right there) up to the next parking level and it's there at that level. We park on both - maybe I'm not 100% sure of the level. I saw it just a few days ago, have used it before. It has been there for about 8 years that I can recall. They used to have one at Icon on Computer Plaza but I have not noticed it lately.

Well, I give up. Today I drove into town to seek out the disposal point at Computer Plaza as well as the (former) one somewhere around the block at the 3 Kings' Monument. Nothing at either place.

My bag of some 25-30 dead batteries is going out with this week's trash on Thursday morning. When in Thailand, do as the Thai do.

Mr.Brad- did you try to find the place at KS mentioned by Electrified?

I still have a bunch of Nickel Cadmium, Lithium and other nasty carcinogenic batteries- my Alkalines will go in the trash but I am not keen on dumping the Heavy Metal ones.

Is the place still at KSK?

Edited by haybilly

Mr.Brad- did you try to find the place at KS mentioned by Electrified?

I still have a bunch of Nickel Cadmium, Lithium and other nasty carcinogenic batteries- my Alkalines will go in the trash but I am not keen on dumping the Heavy Metal ones.

Is the place still at KSK?

It's there 100%. Park in P2, go to where the enterence to Kad Lanna is, there is a small flight of stairs by the elevator, walk up the 8 or so stairs, look to your left. Big green box marked "Hazardous Waste". Been there for many years.

• 6 months later...

For the record, and by way both of expressing my thanks to those who have been helpful here and of trying to be helpful in turn, a week ago I found the booth for disposing of batteries and other hazardous waste at KSK, on the P3 level just by an entrance to the mall.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that, sadly I ran out of time and gave my bag of Lithium batteries to the local refuse collecting gang-God knows what they did with them.

I didn't like the idea, but I liked having a bag of old Lithium lying around my house less.