Wet weather gear

recom273

Its well an truly flood season down here at the moment in the South.

Has anyone seen any good wet weather gear in the Bangkok shops recently that can be thrown and kept in the backpack, to keep me dry on the 15 minute run to work.

Otherwise I will purchase the Revit Acid + cyclone combination.

Suggestions for waterproof gloves would be most welcome .. The Revit gloves are a bit pricey for the amount of times i would use them .. Are there any good waterproof gloves for 2-2500B ?

Thanks, that's where I found out about the revit combo - just wondering, as I never get to Bangkok to check the shops if anything new had come along.

Especially waterproof gloves.

I am looking at some waterproof gear for a trip next year, as I don't ride in the rain here, too bluddy dangerous. Anyway I planned on buying some breathable lightweight cheapo jacket and over trousers and keeping them on the bike. In Thailand not sure you would need gloves when it rains, doesn't get that cold...unless you are in the mountains, but Marigolds spring to mind, big decision, do I go for yellow or pink?

I am normally XL (LFB), so may need to get them from the UK, anyway will follow this thread as there may be something I hadn't thought of.

I am looking at some waterproof gear for a trip next year, as I don't ride in the rain here, too bluddy dangerous. Anyway I planned on buying some breathable lightweight cheapo jacket and over trousers and keeping them on the bike. In Thailand not sure you would need gloves when it rains, doesn't get that cold...unless you are in the mountains, but Marigolds spring to mind, big decision, do I go for yellow or pink?

I am normally XL (LFB), so may need to get them from the UK, anyway will follow this thread as there may be something I hadn't thought of.

Gloves on a bike in Thailand are always about safety, not warmth. It is wholly irrelevant that the temperature is warm when it is raining. When you go down, gloves keep the skin on your hands so you can continue to type thoughtless comments on forums...

I actually like riding in the rain - learnt to like it in Singapore when it always rains and there is never enough space under a bridge to wait it out...

• Like 1

Gloves on a bike in Thailand are always about safety, not warmth. It is wholly irrelevant that the temperature is warm when it is raining. When you go down, gloves keep the skin on your hands so you can continue to type thoughtless comments on forums...

I actually like riding in the rain - learnt to like it in Singapore when it always rains and there is never enough space under a bridge to wait it out...

Lighten up mate, the marigold thing was a joke, the clue is in the choice of colours pink or yellow...doh! they would obviously clash with my socks.

I already said I don't ride in the rain as it is too dangerous.

If you read most of threads on this forum you will realise biking is pretty dangerous in Thailand, so if you like making it much more so, bonne chance!

I do understand your point "when you do go down", so at least you are expecting to. However, not many truck drivers will see you when you are lying on the road in the pouring rain and your gloves won't do you much good then.

I think you should rethink, walking in the rain is a better idea....Now I am being serious.

• Like 1

Allan, guess you dont ride in rain season? Hard to avoid rain then. I take a second pair (old) gloves with me when touring in rain season. Old gloves for rain, new gloves for dry conditions. Riding with wet gloves the whole day is awful, especially when the sun shines and the wet gloves get warm.

Lighten up mate, the marigold thing was a joke, the clue is in the choice of colours pink or yellow...doh! they would obviously clash with my socks.

I already said I don't ride in the rain as it is too dangerous.

If you read most of threads on this forum you will realise biking is pretty dangerous in Thailand, so if you like making it much more so, bonne chance!

I do understand your point "when you do go down", so at least you are expecting to. However, not many truck drivers will see you when you are lying on the road in the pouring rain and your gloves won't do you much good then.

I think you should rethink, walking in the rain is a better idea....Now I am being serious.

Pretty sure I got the marigold joke - glossed over it...

You've repeated yourself again - must really think you are some special authority to tell other people that riding in the rain is 'too dangerous'. I've come to the conclusion that me riding in the rain, specifically the way I do is not significantly more dangerous to me than when it is not raining. I don't need to read this forum to know that riding in Thailand is dangerous, I worked that out all on my lonesome when I started riding here.

Maybe you riding in the rain is too dangerous for you - I won't argue that as I am not qualified to do so. I do know that safety gear is based on a model where its value as safety gear is demonstrated when something 'bad' happens. It is not a matter of expectation, it is a matter of prudence. Do you not wear a helmet on days when you feel supremely confident, or riding locally, or early in the morning when residential roads can be almost deserted? I doubt it. Are you expecting to faceplant? Headbutt a pole? Of course not - but I bet (hope) you wear your helmet almost religiously...

I saw a guy in Singapore T-boned by a cab while on his Vespa. Front bumper broke his ankle, and he was thrown sideways where he put his hand down on the pavement on some feature that sat proud of the stonework. Whatever it was it ripped the skin from his wrist to his elbow, but did not break his arm. The pain of the injury was so intense he passed out. Had he been on the road, he would have lain there and his fate would be up to those around and driving by. If he had had gloves on he would most probably have been conscious, and in less pain and more likely able to drag himself to the side of the road. Whilst it is an extreme case, and a single instance, I keep my memory of watching him fly past close to hand to remind me to wear gloves at all times. I was riding in normal shoes and without gloves at the time. I went immediately and bought touring boots and gloves to ride a Vespa GTV with - overkill perhaps, but better protected than not.

Edited by DualSportBiker

Pretty sure I got the marigold joke - glossed over it...

You've repeated yourself again - must really think you are some special authority to tell other people that riding in the rain is 'too dangerous'. I've come to the conclusion that me riding in the rain, specifically the way I do is not significantly more dangerous to me than when it is not raining. I don't need to read this forum to know that riding in Thailand is dangerous, I worked that out all on my lonesome when I started riding here.

Maybe you riding in the rain is too dangerous for you - I won't argue that as I am not qualified to do so. I do know that safety gear is based on a model where its value as safety gear is demonstrated when something 'bad' happens. It is not a matter of expectation, it is a matter of prudence. Do you not wear a helmet on days when you feel supremely confident, or riding locally, or early in the morning when residential roads can be almost deserted? I doubt it. Are you expecting to faceplant? Headbutt a pole? Of course not - but I bet (hope) you wear your helmet almost religiously...

I saw a guy in Singapore T-boned by a cab while on his Vespa. Front bumper broke his ankle, and he was thrown sideways where he put his hand down on the pavement on some feature that sat proud of the stonework. Whatever it was it ripped the skin from his wrist to his elbow, but did not break his arm. The pain of the injury was so intense he passed out. Had he been on the road, he would have lain there and his fate would be up to those around and driving by. If he had had gloves on he would most probably have been conscious, and in less pain and more likely able to drag himself to the side of the road. Whilst it is an extreme case, and a single instance, I keep my memory of watching him fly past close to hand to remind me to wear gloves at all times. I was riding in normal shoes and without gloves at the time. I went immediately and bought touring boots and gloves to ride a Vespa GTV with - overkill perhaps, but better protected than not.

I'd love to see someone wearing a pair of touring boots on a Vespa!

I wear size 49 and my Sidi Cobra Air are pretty thing but I'd still consider them overkill for a scooter. Bulking out to say the Crossfire or even Charger boots would be worth a laugh on such a bike.

Allan, guess you dont ride in rain season? Hard to avoid rain then. I take a second pair (old) gloves with me when touring in rain season. Old gloves for rain, new gloves for dry conditions. Riding with wet gloves the whole day is awful, especially when the sun shines and the wet gloves get warm.

Correct, I bugga off to freeze my nuts off in the UK every summer, summer, that's an interesting word for it there.

To be honest I had a Phantom first, probably the worst wet weather bike ever made anywhere, I didn't bother with wet weather gear at all, as I had to change my pants (boxer shorts) when I got home anyway. Bloody bike...

So big yourself up Wantan and enjoy your "hand sauna"....

Correct, I bugga off to freeze my nuts off in the UK every summer, summer, that's an interesting word for it there.

To be honest I had a Phantom first, probably the worst wet weather bike ever made anywhere, I didn't bother with wet weather gear at all, as I had to change my pants (boxer shorts) when I got home anyway. Bloody bike...

So big yourself up Wantan and enjoy your "hand sauna"....

As an aside, the 500X is great at dumping rain water into your crotch as well.