Foreigner, Dressed Like Thai Police Taking The Job Too Seriously

CarlTyson

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

make me remember this fake swat guy driving a yellow jeep in Pattaya. what he is doing now?

Moderating?

this is possible, as many people from the past do fit the bill (sorry for the pun bill )

Edited by onemorechang

Got stopped in Chiang Mai by one a few years back. He approached me like a cop and I basically told him to f'off and kept going. He caught up with me again and completely changed his tune. He actually admitted he had no authority and that most people though he was being a twit, but in actual fact was looking out for my welfare.

I felt kind of bad because he was a decent bloke. He ended up advising me on the route for my trip and being quite nice.

I guess he had just been in Thailand a long time and wanted to feel part of the community; contributing, helping, valued in some way.

A lot of guys who move here never got any respect back home; perhaps because of the way they looked, their personality, introvert ways or general sociopathic behaviour. Thus why they move to Thailand; because the Thais they mix with don't have a clue that such a guy would be shunned by others and completely ignored by women back home. This is where the "sad, lonely, old man" moves to Thailand stereotype emerges from.

This kind of job brings meaning to their lives, makes them feel like they've achieved something and have finally gotten some respect from someone in life. I think if we can we should try to see through the bravado and have compassion.

A brilliant post, with good insight.

Sounds like the guy in the OP, however, has deeper issues. Most of the rent-a-cops I met on the job were cop wannabes, and harmless. But there were a few ….

Probably never made it to Police College in his own country where ever that is and now wants to come and be a wise ass here..... him !!! Run the crazy bastard over when you find him again..... clap2.gifcheesy.gifw00t.gif

On second thought leave the poor fool alone as we need some laughter here as well..... someone please just give him a Coke and a Pork Pie for serving the community if you run, I mean come across him again... biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

Edited by CapeThai

A lot of guys who move here never got any respect back home; perhaps because of the way they looked, their personality, introvert ways or general sociopathic behaviour. Thus why they move to Thailand; because the Thais they mix with don't have a clue that such a guy would be shunned by others and completely ignored by women back home. This is where the "sad, lonely, old man" moves to Thailand stereotype emerges from.

This kind of job brings meaning to their lives, makes them feel like they've achieved something and have finally gotten some respect from someone in life. I think if we can we should try to see through the bravado and have compassion.

Keep it quiet mate, we gone be flooded with wanna be police men if that's true.

• Like 1

There was an entire thread devoted to this guy and others earlier this year. The first time I saw him was outside Tukcom, but I've also seen him at the entrance to Walking Street.

Where did you encounter him? Did he ask to see your licence and rego papers? Was he with a Thai cop at the time of the inspection?

Is this guy paid or voluntary?

Does he carry a gun?

I would love to know if this guy is protected liability wise. Can't see how a foreigner can be here and surely not from civil action in his home country.

He wrote me up for no motorcycle license last time I was there. Definitely taller than your average Thai and euro accent. As I recall he was dressed in the usual traffic uniform and armed. My impression was he was a Thai who had lived in Europe. I went to the trouble of getting an international driving license before going this time. I presented it to him thinking I was fine but he read it front to back and noticed there was no motorcycle stamp. I was not aware. I got a ticket. I drive carefully and never over speed but still get stopped at every checkpoint. Yes...I always wear my helmet. I've been vacationing in pattaya for six years. I won't be back for any extended period. Maybe Kho Phi Phi trip one day. The checkpoints have progressively gotten worse. Tea money etc. I'm in the Philippines now. English speakers abound, smiles all around. No traffic police problems. There is no perfect place, but I feel welcome in the Philippines and that is what it is all about. I miss the pattaya I knew in 2008...motoring around with no helmet and not being stopped every other day.

• Like 1

Got stopped in Chiang Mai by one a few years back. He approached me like a cop and I basically told him to f'off and kept going. He caught up with me again and completely changed his tune. He actually admitted he had no authority and that most people though he was being a twit, but in actual fact was looking out for my welfare.

I felt kind of bad because he was a decent bloke. He ended up advising me on the route for my trip and being quite nice.

I guess he had just been in Thailand a long time and wanted to feel part of the community; contributing, helping, valued in some way.

Are you one of them or their Captain? If so fill us in on the legal aspect of their calling.

Can I infer from this article that the legal and proper foreign police volunteers are supposed to have and do have a way to get valid Work Permits? What type of Visa do they have, assuming they are staying in Thailand for extended periods of time?

Edited by gk10002000

.......................dressed in silly tight brown........................

sounds like you're the one with the problem.

Face it, his life is better than yours and you can't take it. end of story.

keep trying maybe some day, you can walk upright too. . .on two legs.

WOW.. another volunteer heard from. So there is a few on here as suspected. Hope we can count on some legal clarity in the following pages.

• Like 1

I m an ex cop from the states when I came here I thought about doing it , but the longer im here and the more I see and hear . I think I will consider enjoying retiremente.. II was in Rimping today and one of them was shopping had his radio and hand cuffs .. NO way shape or form would I ever be seen in public in a police uniform without a gun . Was obvious to me he had neber been a real cop and was out to build his ego... I ll pass .......

Can't believe he had handcuffs or the authority to use them>

The Plant mind is indeed boggling this fine Sunday morning as to why anyone would want to do such a thing unless to boost an otherwise frail ego, or satiate some need for a little importance.

After my week is done I can't be mithered doing anything much after a week's work bar do a bit in the garden or hitting the sauce...let alone squeezing my guts into a silly uniform, standing by a road in the heat for hours, blowing a whistle, sweating like a piggy or standing around Walking st. looking like an extra from 'Allo 'Allo or one of the village People...

That was worth reading again ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Does anyone have pictures of him?

+ 1

A public figure, in a public place ... maybe a public photo?

No rules being broken there.

No names though ... that would, most likely, overstepping the line.

The Thai Visa Lawyer confirmed, you can take video of the police in the public area.

You can catch him near TukCom on the market days trying to direct traffic, cars and bikes coming at him from 6 different directions, his blood pressure nearing the point where his head is about to explode...

• Like 1

He wrote me up for no motorcycle license last time I was there. Definitely taller than your average Thai and euro accent. As I recall he was dressed in the usual traffic uniform and armed. My impression was he was a Thai who had lived in Europe. I went to the trouble of getting an international driving license before going this time. I presented it to him thinking I was fine but he read it front to back and noticed there was no motorcycle stamp. I was not aware. I got a ticket. I drive carefully and never over speed but still get stopped at every checkpoint. Yes...I always wear my helmet. I've been vacationing in pattaya for six years. I won't be back for any extended period. Maybe Kho Phi Phi trip one day. The checkpoints have progressively gotten worse. Tea money etc. I'm in the Philippines now. English speakers abound, smiles all around. No traffic police problems. There is no perfect place, but I feel welcome in the Philippines and that is what it is all about. I miss the pattaya I knew in 2008...motoring around with no helmet and not being stopped every other day.

Doubtfully armed as you say...>> usual traffic uniform and armed

Interesting, I have never come across this guy.

Where does he hang out?

I am more used to FPV in black outfits and they are always accompanied by the regulars, doing the document checks on Sukhumvit heading South.

No real problems with them other than one not recognising the old style licence before I renewed it.

Any that get overly officious usually accrue a few complaints and will be relieved of duty, as per the guy who slapped a ladyboy here once.

Thank heavens they don't let these silly types carry guns!

Doubtfully armed as you say...>> usual traffic uniform and armed

He must have been Thai if he was armed unless he was a foreigner with Thai Citizenship who was a real Cop. Only a real Cop can write a ticket and/or take money and carry a firearm.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There was an entire thread devoted to this guy and others earlier this year. The first time I saw him was outside Tukcom, but I've also seen him at the entrance to Walking Street.

Where did you encounter him? Did he ask to see your licence and rego papers? Was he with a Thai cop at the time of the inspection?

Is this guy paid or voluntary?

Does he carry a gun?

Ask him to show you his work permit, or letter which absolves him having a WP

I believe Tourist Police volunteers are exempt from needing a WP. I doubt he'll show his documentation to you but I'm sure you could ask to be taken down to the police station if it's really that important for you.

Legally no one is exempt. Would be interesting to see what would happen if he was reported!

My bike is legal, I wear the helmet and I have a driving license, yet this guy flags me over for inspection.

I've seen him around town, a big guy, dressed in the silly tight brown, sweating & taking the job way too seriously, yelling at people, pulling them over.

What a tool. Guy comes to Thailand to play policeman.

Wannabe cop, working along side Thai Police.....Makes me sick.

Normally these people unless they have thai citizenship even then it's a dicey areas can only work in s group with thai policemen

There job is to be an extra pair of hands when the police encounter problems that involve foreigners to make their jobs easier

If he is acting alone pulling people over the get soneone to video it and put it on YouTube

Under thai law he can be deported if only locally reported he might get a earning but if evidence is on internstional social media then he had a problem

Some of these people want an excuse to bully done want an extra hobby and generally want to help their area out as they may have settled down in Thailand and bored of the bars and all that and want to make the place safer for their family friends and locals and put sone work back into the community

Sometimes these police can help specially when the thai policeman does not have a clue what the forang is on about and could make a wrong assumption

The ones that want a badge and bully should be put in jail and deported

I can only imagine that many of these volunteers are failed traffic wardens in their own country, and their highest honour was being a member of The Boys Brigade.

More likely British tv license inspectors.

I understand hatred for some of these people or most of them but some do get slowly drawn into this line of work through thai friends family extra or sometimes the police might call upon a favour of a forang and then ask for another and another then before one knows it they are working for the police so might aswel get the benifts that hi with it

Personally I just hate forang bullies with or without a uniform

Some people recon they can hide behind a badge in Thailand are truest stupid people

I m an ex cop from the states when I came here I thought about doing it , but the longer im here and the more I see and hear . I think I will consider enjoying retiremente.. II was in Rimping today and one of them was shopping had his radio and hand cuffs .. NO way shape or form would I ever be seen in public in a police uniform without a gun . Was obvious to me he had neber been a real cop and was out to build his ego... I ll pass .......

Are they allowed truncheons and the like?

I think we are having a mix-up here. There is a Thai national, traffic cop, who has been around TUKOM for the last 2 yrs. Tall, a bit serious looking, could pass for a Farang. He is in full uniform and armed.Never seen him bothering anybody, but people who parked on the wrong side of the street or were without helmets. Then there is 1 or 2 volunteers, I believe one of them driving a white scooter with re/blue LED's and siren. Clearly spoke E with Brit accent. Always acts very exited, often with a real Thai traffic cop on another bike. Have seen especially one of them in various locations, always on the hunt and looking REALLY serious. But as long as he gets some of the maniacs and drunks of the road, I really don't mind. But I could never imagine walking around in a police uniform in this country. Too embarrassing. Some of the "good" volunteers should take control and get some discipline and organization going. But must be hard to do this successful. MS>

^^^

It is because of very tough defamation laws in Thailand that Moderators have to take a tough line with some slur posts - and we get abused for it.

But, in theory, police could ask for details of any posters who go too far and ThaiVisa Forum has a liability in this too.

The relevant forum rule is this

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

petercool - moderator team

• Like 1