French Restuarant Rawai

Kaymcdonnell

I went to a french restaurant yesterday in the early evening. Firstly i was the only one there.

After about 30 mins it started to fill up a little. The owner came around to welcome everyone with a big smile and hand shake. I was the only person in there that was not French.... I did not get the welcome hand shake, until i offered my hand in such a way that he had no choice. I finally got the welcome hand shake and the how are you? I said that i am very well thank you, i am English, and i will not be coming here again.

Don't think he will miss me....

Is it just the French?

During my stay in Thailand, countless times I wanted to go into a French restaurant, nice change from always Italian or German/Austrian, but having a look at the prices made me change my mind. So how were the prices?

Edited by keestha

How was the food?

Base your opinion on that, not because you felt snubbed. Not every restaurant owner says hi to me but doesn't stop me returning.

I take your point Hans, and like yourself, I also don't feel the need to be greeted by the owner, however, for me, the food may be very nice, but if its delivery (service) is terrible,, and the environment not pleasant, I will not go back.

How was the food?

Base your opinion on that, not because you felt snubbed. Not every restaurant owner says hi to me but doesn't stop me returning.

I take your point Hans, and like yourself, I also don't feel the need to be greeted by the owner, however, for me, the food may be very nice, but if its delivery (service) is terrible,, and the environment not pleasant, I will not go back.

The point of this thread was she won't be going back because she wasn't greeted by the owner.

She didn't mention service staff, food or price as factors for not going back.

French people aren't always the friendliest bunch but they tend to not have much confidence in using English themselves. Could it be that the owner suffers from just that?

How was the food?

The point of this thread was she won't be going back because she wasn't greeted by the owner.

She didn't mention service staff, food or price as factors for not going back.

French people aren't always the friendliest bunch but they tend to not have much confidence in using English themselves. Could it be that the owner suffers from just that?

"Could it be that the owner suffers from just that?" - maybe, or, the owner could simply be racist. Many French "suffer from just that" as well. biggrin.png

• Like 1

During my stay in Thailand, countless times I wanted to go into a French restaurant, nice change from always Italian or German/Austrian, but having a look at the prices made me change my mind. So how were the prices?

Have you tried Lionels kitchen at the "Formula One" in Kata? (Formerly the "Grand Prix") Excellent and inexpensiv. I think he only shakes hands with his regular customers.smile.png

Have you tried Lionels kitchen at the "Formula One" in Kata? (Formerly the "Grand Prix") Excellent and inexpensiv. I think he only shakes hands with his regular customers.smile.png

Looked like his restaurant was closed last time I looked a couple of weeks ago..

So I was at Chaba outside Laguna picking up some groceries I stopped at the thai lady outside selling coconuts and ordered a coconut. While she was opening it a thai guy walked up and ordered a coconut . She said Sawadi kha to him and engaged him in conversation. I was outraged, she never said sawwadi Kha to me ! She never engaged me in convesation either. The cheek of her. It ruined my day, was I not good enough for her to say hello to? Did his coconut taste better as it came with a hello?

I will never ever buy another coconut from her.

I really hope other forum members share my outrage and don't think my sense of entitlement is bigger than my common sense.

• Like 2

Yes, the "Grand Prix" has been closed for well over a year.

Many people are looking for this place.

The strong point of Lionel is cooking, not marketing.

His new restaurant is called the "Formula One". But there is no sign yet.

At the upper end of Taina Rd. there is a traffic light. Turn left. About 200 m (just before the parking of Kata Cable) you will see some multicoloured light bulbs. (That's where it is)

Every Sunday evening he has a set menu:

One day it was: Belle assiette de cruditées, Lasagne, Mousse au chocolat noire.

One day it was: Salade melée, Civet de sanglier, ...

One day it was his famous Paella Valenciana....

To somtamnication:

Some people are happy with their daily somtam and 5 times rice per day. Or fisnchips or a burger. Nothing wrong with that. But I just can't.

I know nothing about Turkish food. But I saw that there are two new Turkish restaurants in Kata. Of course I shall go and try them.

About "stupid names" on the menu: Not everything you can't read or understand has necessarily to be stupid.

And of course you can, but you don't have to answer to any of this because I won't read it, because you're on my ignore list.

And by the way, I like to laugh also, but nothing you wrote so far made me laugh.

And another by the way: My mothertongue is neither English nor French.

• Like 1

To somtamnication:

Some people are happy with their daily somtam and 5 times rice per day. Or fisnchips or a burger. Nothing wrong with that. But I just can't.

I know nothing about Turkish food. But I saw that there are two new Turkish restaurants in Kata. Of course I shall go and try them.

About "stupid names" on the menu: Not everything you can't read or understand has necessarily to be stupid.

And of course you can, but you don't have to answer to any of this because I won't read it, because you're on my ignore list.

And by the way, I like to laugh also, but nothing you wrote so far made me laugh.

And another by the way: My mothertongue is neither English nor French.

LOL. You made me laugh! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

One day it was: Belle assiette de cruditées, Lasagne, Mousse au chocolat noire.

One day it was: Salade melée, Civet de sanglier, ...

One day it was his famous Paella Valenciana....

Not very French is it?

Belle assiette de cruditées (veg sticks, hardly the epitome of gastronomic excellence)

Lasagne (not French)

Mousse au chocolat noire (French, but arguably Swiss or Belgian)

Salade melée (mixed salad, not French in any particular way)

Civet de sanglier (Boar stew, arguably French, but eaten by Romans and probably native to Alsace region which is French now but the stew predates that)

Paella Valenciana (Enough said!)

• Like 1