Possible changes to 90 day reporting?

90 day reports couldn't be easier, did mine today arrived just after 8 and was the only one there along with one immigration lady, she asked what I wanted, 90 day report, sit down and give passport.

Scan the old bit of paper without even looking at the passport, check the screen, the printer printed out a form which she signed and stamped, tore the bottom piece off and stapled it in my passport, thank you very much out the door before opening time.

I agree fully it is very easy, but only if you live very close to the immigration office, but if you live a 180 km roundtrip from the immigration office and they don't accept mail in reports then you don't think it's easy.

Respect

wai.gif

Got that right.

It's a 4 hr. round trip to the closest Immigration office for me and that's a giant pain in the ass.wink.png

I been living here 30+ years and years ago we never had to do 90-day reporting, then some years ago all of a sudden we were ordered to do the 90-day reporting. At first some of us thought it was some new law but then we found out it was in fact an old law that had been relaxed and then they started enforcing it again.

Been 90 days for at least the last 20 years.

I came here in 1994, 20 years ago and have done business here for 32 years. I met my Thai wife in the UK so our eldest daughter also has a British passport. It is not true to say that 90 day reporting was not enforced for at least the last 20 years. It seems to have been part of a job creation program by Thai Immigration on 30th June 1997 at the time of the 1997 crash of the Thai Economy. Even then they did not enforce the fines for children under the age of 20 for not reporting every 90 days until around 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Any relaxation of the 90-day address reporting requirement would only likely apply to holders of 2-year work permits as I understand from the article referred to in the OP. So no change for us non-immigrants with "O" or "O-A" visas or subsequent annual extensions of stay as I see it then.

While the introduction of some facility for submitting 90-day reports electronically might sound welcome in principle, this would, I think, be dependent on the ability of the Immigration Bureau to devise a suitably secure website (prefixed https) for this purpose, which personally I would question. I would not want details of any 90-day reports which I might wish to submit electronically (and which would probably have to include passport details and possibly other sensitive personal information) to be accessible by every Tom, Dick and Harry across this great planet of ours with internet access.

And, contrary to the impression given in the article, the submission of 90-day reports by snail mail would, of course, be nothing new - except for those offices such as Chiang Mai which currently forbid this method of reporting.

personal information of your passport,address,visa status is already passed to any tom,dick,harry and abdul.

your photo copies of your extension application,the blank side are re-used by immigration.

there is posting regarding this, november ?in this forum.

Any relaxation of the 90-day address reporting requirement would only likely apply to holders of 2-year work permits as I understand from the article referred to in the OP. So no change for us non-immigrants with "O" or "O-A" visas or subsequent annual extensions of stay as I see it then.

While the introduction of some facility for submitting 90-day reports electronically might sound welcome in principle, this would, I think, be dependent on the ability of the Immigration Bureau to devise a suitably secure website (prefixed https) for this purpose, which personally I would question. I would not want details of any 90-day reports which I might wish to submit electronically (and which would probably have to include passport details and possibly other sensitive personal information) to be accessible by every Tom, Dick and Harry across this great planet of ours with internet access.

And, contrary to the impression given in the article, the submission of 90-day reports by snail mail would, of course, be nothing new - except for those offices such as Chiang Mai which currently forbid this method of reporting.

Just about to send mine by r letter to Chiang Mai, read that this was now the preferred method. Will phone to confirm

personal information of your passport,address,visa status is already passed to any tom,dick,harry and abdul.

your photo copies of your extension application,the blank side are re-used by immigration.

there is posting regarding this, november ?in this forum.

posted 2nd dec.topic WARNING

The 90-day report is a disgrace, TBH.

I had to pay the 2,000-baht fine earlier this month for something I was not made aware of (by my employer or the immigration). I got my second visa in Sep (I have a work permit) and presumed that it would be like the first time where you do the report 90 days after you get the visa. My 90-day report was due for 15 Sep and I got the new visa in the first week of Sep. I went to do my 90-day report in the first week of Dec and was told that I was supposed to do my report in Sep itself, that the new visa does not mean that I have reported to immigration (despite the fact that I had to be present in person to get the visa).

On top of that, while the lady at the first counter, who explained the rule to me, was polite and courteous, the lady at the 90-day report counter was not. She basically laughed at me, saying something to her colleagues in Thai, when I tried to explain what had happened, and why I was late.

I know I should have read the rules, I presume they are written somewhere, and I know that I should learn Thai (my work leaves me little time for that), but laughing at my face is not very professional, in my opinion.

Apart from an immigration officer laughing at me, I had the same thing happen myself several years ago. It was difficult to understand why presenting in person and providing my address for my visa renewal did not fulfil the requirement for presenting in person and providing my address for the purpose of the 90 day rule, but there you go. Paid my 2000 baht and received a stamp in my passport saying that I had violated the requirement and off I went.

I been living here 30+ years and years ago we never had to do 90-day reporting, then some years ago all of a sudden we were ordered to do the 90-day reporting. At first some of us thought it was some new law but then we found out it was in fact an old law that had been relaxed and then they started enforcing it again.

Been 90 days for at least the last 20 years.

I came here in 1994, 20 years ago and have done business here for 32 years. I met my Thai wife in the UK so our eldest daughter also has a British passport. It is not true to say that 90 day reporting was not enforced for at least the last 20 years. It seems to have been part of a job creation program by Thai Immigration on 30th June 1997 at the time of the 1997 crash of the Thai Economy. Even then they did not enforce the fines for children under the age of 20 for not reporting every 90 days until around 10 years ago.

I can't remember the time-line. All I'm saying is I remember for a long time there was no such thing as farang having to do 90-day reporting (although it was actually a law - but just not enforced at the time) then we were informed we had to do the 90-day reporting and they got very strict about it. Honestly can't remember when all this happened, it was long ago.

While they're at it, they might re-introduce the FARANG Health Care arrangements that only lasted for a year.

Considering how much MONEY we Long Term, long suffering Ferang contribute to the Thai Economy every day, it would be a way for the Thai Treasury to show its appreciation.

LOL...that's good...Thailand show its appreciation for farang contributions. You seen many pigs flying recently...lol

I do my 90 day reporting by mail in Chiang Mai. They actually encourage it now.

But where do you live in Chiang Mai? I live in San Sai. And was told no cannot.?

I do my 90 day reporting by mail in Chiang Mai. They actually encourage it now.

When doing in Chiang Mai the 90 days report via email do you have to provide via attachment the same 5 application forms as has to be done via postage,

Do you send it to the normal immigration's email address, or is it a special email address for the 90 day report section at their office.

Edited by personchester

It's already possible to do 90 day reports by post in Bangkok.

And it's possible the returned slip will get lost in the post!

Never happened to me. The post service in Bangkok is quite reliable. But even if it doesn't arrive the EMS receipt is proof.

it's not sent back ems that's when they get lost. Happened to me twice, never again as you have to get a cop report for the loss. immigration were not happy and the ems proof of delivery meant nothing, they want the renew form they sent out. Even with the cop report it was not easy at CW,

Edited by jacky54

I fail to understand all the tension and resentment about the 90day address reporting.

It is off my radar because my Thai wife does all the necessary activity automatically. And now at my place it is also automated via computer.

If this 90day reporting is all you fellows have to complain about, count your lives very lucky and quiet down.wai.gif

• Like 1

Went to Jomtien 22nd December for 90 day report, passport only.

The guy checked the computer, printed off the tearoff and I was out again in 2 minutes.

Same for me: in and out in 2 minutes.

BUT: I live half way between Khonkaen and Udon Thai ( I can see the highway from my balcony), but just inside the border of Kalasin province. That means I have to go Sakon Nakon and that means a 180 km drive...and a 180 km drive back. I asked if it was possible to do it by mail and the answer was: "no, you have to come in person". Maybe they like me.....

I read that in the news but did not take it seriously.

To do away 90 day reports requires a change to the immigration act of 1979 and cannot foresee that happening anytime soon.

Indeed -- but he left himself the option of mail/email reporting which would be a vast improvement over personal appearances ;)

Mail is possible already in some provinces, but to have email reporting would be perfect. They do need to track foreigners, look at the mess in countries who don't do this. ;)

To do away 90 day reports requires a change to the immigration act of 1979 and cannot foresee that happening anytime soon.

Indeed -- but he left himself the option of mail/email reporting which would be a vast improvement over personal appearances wink.png

Mail is possible already in some provinces, but to have email reporting would be perfect. They do need to track foreigners, look at the mess in countries who don't do this. wink.png

The offices that don't allow mail in reports are in violation of the immigration act. It says you can do them by mail.

Doing them by email or online has been mentioned for many years by immigration. It could be that by a strict interpretation of the immigration act is why it has not been done.

I received a 2 year work permit on 9/9/2556 which I think was last year, for the 90 day reporting I have never done that but i think its because I end up traveling outside Thailand more often than the 90 days and I think the 90 day clock resets.

i hope that helps

Thanks

Is it in the actual statute? I didn't know that. I had the impression is was just a ministerial regulation put in place during the right-wing dictatorships following October 1976, probably the Kraivichien government. I do know the provision was completely ignored until about 1996, when it's erratic enforcement caused a lot of comment. Some people got fined ฿2,000, others got away free. A friend of mine got away free by just smiling like an idiot and pretending he didn't understand until the officer got frustrated. It was mentioned on the TM card, but who ever reads those? Anyway, it seems well established now, but as recently as 2000 it was often ignored or forgotten.

About the 2 years Work Permit, it's already a reality;

A french friend of mine has it since a few months already ; Sakon_Nakhon province;

he obtains it in october or november this year .

About the 90 days report, I don't know if it will disappear ;

my friend is on holidays outside Thailand, I will ask him when coming back .

I would like it disappear also for the O " thai-wife " or make it easier for those like me who are living far from the province capital .

Why not going to the closest main police station ?

The more some people get, the more they want ! facepalm.gif

90 day reports couldn't be easier, did mine today arrived just after 8 and was the only one there along with one immigration lady, she asked what I wanted, 90 day report, sit down and give passport.

Scan the old bit of paper without even looking at the passport, check the screen, the printer printed out a form which she signed and stamped, tore the bottom piece off and stapled it in my passport, thank you very much out the door before opening time.

I agree fully it is very easy, but only if you live very close to the immigration office, but if you live a 180 km roundtrip from the immigration office and they don't accept mail in reports then you don't think it's easy.

Respect

wai.gif

Well , you don't have to leave the country, so why all the whingeing ? rolleyes.gif

as most would agree, 90 day reporting for extensions based on retirement are silly. If you get the retirement, then you should only have to report when you do the yearly report. I can understand in an odd way why they require 90 days, gives people work, Thailand gets some paperwork handling money/fee. But to require that for visas that basically approve you for long term stays is wrong

• Like 1

Is it in the actual statute? I didn't know that. I had the impression is was just a ministerial regulation put in place during the right-wing dictatorships following October 1976, probably the Kraivichien government. I do know the provision was completely ignored until about 1996, when it's erratic enforcement caused a lot of comment. Some people got fined ฿2,000, others got away free. A friend of mine got away free by just smiling like an idiot and pretending he didn't understand until the officer got frustrated. It was mentioned on the TM card, but who ever reads those? Anyway, it seems well established now, but as recently as 2000 it was often ignored or forgotten.

From section 37 of the immigration act.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Immigration Act 2522 en.pdf