Avoiding 'iffy' expats......

ThePlant

Avoiding iffy ex pats!!!I have read all the comments in this thread.

I am British, yes i agree that a lot of conmen here are British.

I have read comments both for and against Royal British Legion. RBLis a fantastic organisation, but it has people representing it who are not honest, only involved for there own selfish ends. Let nobody be under any illusion about that. I have experience of this first hand, and i am disgusted about it. Senior officers of RBL try to cover up what is happening by ignoring it.

if an organization has shady characters that are allowed to continue their shenanigans by the senior officers of that organization, i wouldnt exactly call it a fantastic organization.

...assuming of course that the allegations are supported by hard evidence and relate to duties undertaken on behalf of the RBL which I suspect will not prove to be the case.

I only live in Asia so I can wear shorts, a vest top, and flip flops every day.cheesy.gif

I don't know why people care about iffy characters anyway. If you're stupid enough to get scammed it's your own fault, but if not just let them get on with their lives.

I've met some shady characters who were obviously dealers in their own country, but when you meet them in a gym setting them come across as nice guys.

I've also met a few people who totally creeped me out and I wanted to get away from them as fast as possible.

I disagree.

When I first set foot on Thai soil I met many farangs of various nationalities giving the semblance of being my potential future best friends. I was the new kid on the block considered ripe for extortion, offered deals on purchasing dodgy land and homes at over inflated prices, asked to lend money, farangs trying to sell me beerbars, trying to get me involved if shady business schemes and loads of other crap. At the time I was naïve and extremely gullible, if not for my wife’s family watching out for me I would have probably been bankrupt by now and begging on the streets somewhere destitute. These days, as mentioned, there have been several outfits established that portray themselves as do gooders, working for the welfare and benefit of ex-pats living here, they try to gain the reputations of being credible and trustworthy, some have been involved in scandals over the last few years that in my opinion are the worst offenders of them all and it should be, once bitten 100 times shy.

It is easy for the old hands here who like me have probably learned from experience to blame the victims that fall foul of scammers, but there are many westerners arriving here that perhaps are not lucky like me to have had people watching over them and set them on the right path. Many come here seeking romance and friendships but instead fall prey to the devious and the unscrupulous.

This is why I try to be the Thai visa’s unofficial guide to survival in Thailand, advice and to make aware of situations that won’t be published in the guidebooks

As I have stated many times, do not trust anyone here on face value, Thais, farangs or whoever and treat your money as if it is your lifeblood because in Thailand without money you`re kaput.

Our money is the only thing we have that everybody wants and will go to any measures, lie, steal, cheat and deceive in order to detach us from it, especially here in LOS, the land of scams.

• Like 1

Avoiding iffy ex pats!!!I have read all the comments in this thread.

I am British, yes i agree that a lot of conmen here are British.

I have read comments both for and against Royal British Legion. RBLis a fantastic organisation, but it has people representing it who are not honest, only involved for there own selfish ends. Let nobody be under any illusion about that. I have experience of this first hand, and i am disgusted about it. Senior officers of RBL try to cover up what is happening by ignoring it.

if an organization has shady characters that are allowed to continue their shenanigans by the senior officers of that organization, i wouldnt exactly call it a fantastic organization.

...assuming of course that the allegations are supported by hard evidence and relate to duties undertaken on behalf of the RBL which I suspect will not prove to be the case.

re-read his post.

I only live in Asia so I can wear shorts, a vest top, and flip flops every day.cheesy.gif

I don't know why people care about iffy characters anyway. If you're stupid enough to get scammed it's your own fault, but if not just let them get on with their lives.

I've met some shady characters who were obviously dealers in their own country, but when you meet them in a gym setting them come across as nice guys.

I've also met a few people who totally creeped me out and I wanted to get away from them as fast as possible.

I disagree.

When I first set foot on Thai soil I met many farangs of various nationalities giving the semblance of being my potential future best friends. I was the new kid on the block considered ripe for extortion, offered deals on purchasing dodgy land and homes at over inflated prices, asked to lend money, farangs trying to sell me beerbars, trying to get me involved if shady business schemes and loads of other crap. At the time I was naïve and extremely gullible, if not for my wife’s family watching out for me I would have probably been bankrupt by now and begging on the streets somewhere destitute. These days, as mentioned, there have been several outfits established that portray themselves as do gooders, working for the welfare and benefit of ex-pats living here, they try to gain the reputations of being credible and trustworthy, some have been involved in scandals over the last few years that in my opinion are the worst offenders of them all and it should be, once bitten 100 times shy.

It is easy for the old hands here who like me have probably learned from experience to blame the victims that fall foul of scammers, but there are many westerners arriving here that perhaps are not lucky like me to have had people watching over them and set them on the right path. Many come here seeking romance and friendships but instead fall prey to the devious and the unscrupulous.

This is why I try to be the Thai visa’s unofficial guide to survival in Thailand, advice and to make aware of situations that won’t be published in the guidebooks

As I have stated many times, do not trust anyone here on face value, Thais, farangs or whoever and treat your money as if it is your lifeblood because in Thailand without money you`re kaput.

Our money is the only thing we have that everybody wants and will go to any measures, lie, steal, cheat and deceive in order to detach us from it, especially here in LOS, the land of scams.

as he said: " If you're stupid enough to get scammed it's your own fault".

naive and gullible certainly qualifies!

• Like 1

Don't forget British Legion,

Thoroughly infiltrated by scoundrels, with a false "hail fellow well met" performance.

Shirts with collars, ties, overly firm handshakes and false bonhomie.

Maybe a lot to do with the new BS that only seems to affect those that have served in more recent conflicts. The ones that seem to get "Daily Mail" type attention.

Excellent point Mr. Toad. I hadn't thought about it in those terms, but yes, having been involved in these type of clubs in my home country, I've been a little surprised with what I've heard about them in the beach resort areas of Thailand.

I've heard other expats say this happens in other expat parts of the world, too -- in Spain, the Middle East, etc. It seems to be a British problem, where British con men gather to try to pry money out of their fellow countrymen. Maybe has something to do with the way their pension system works. Doesn't much matter with U.S. expats -- we're going to owe Uncle Sam taxes no matter where we live.

Actually, you might find that there are also US expats of the same ilk operating in a Thailand , and prominent in such organisations. That's not to have a go, just an observation. Pretty much all of my family have been involved in such organisations back in the UK, but the entry to such, is generally pretty difficult and there is a thorough vetting process.

My dad was a founder member of a local branch of the RBL back in Scotland. They had some shankers applying back then as well.

BTW Nancy, your post seems to have an Anti British slant to it.

It would appear we need some input from an actual VFW member. Failing that, maybe AnotherOneAmerican has an opinion on this?

ayjadee

Any thing i have posted is 100% correct and i have documentery evidence.

Also RBL iin UK is a fantastic organisation. I was refering to reps of RBL in Thailand.

Not a lot can be done by someone like me who is confined to my bed due to accident

• Like 1

ayjadee

Any thing i have posted is 100% correct and i have documentery evidence.

Also RBL iin UK is a fantastic organisation. I was refering to reps of RBL in Thailand.

Not a lot can be done by someone like me who is confined to my bed due to accident

thanks for making it clearer

I want to avoid all the normal expats - any suggestion on how to do this?

I mean the retired Inland Revenue and other civil servants, tee teetotalers, the sane ones, anyone who has married a teacher and anyone with a wife called Noi.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

I want to avoid all the normal expats - any suggestion on how to do this?

I mean the retired Inland Revenue and other civil servants, tee teetotalers, the sane ones, anyone who has married a teacher and anyone with a wife called Noi.

That narrows it down

Who the hell are any of us to judge!

.............Good and bad everywhere.

It's only the ones with low self-esteem that need to judge. Hard to have any self - esteem if one thinks life is about hanging out in expat bars in Thailand every night.

Join clubs - tennis, golf, rotary, expat, etc. Stay out of bars - I know as I was never out them for years.

"Hard to have any self - esteem if one thinks life is about hanging out in expat bars in Thailand every night."

I'm always amazed that so many people who decide to live in "far away places" immediately want to be surrounded by the same people they left behind and insulated/isolated from the local environment as much as possible.

Far away places with strange soundin' names

Far away over the sea

Those far away places with the strange soundin' names

Are callin', callin' me

Goin' to China or maybe Siam

I want to see for myself

Those far away places I've been readin' about

In a book that I took from the shelf ...

Great quote........Where's it from? My sentiments exactly when I was young......looking for a new adventure around every corner. But learned u cant escape from yourself and its a case of "Wherever u go t, there u are!",The grass is always greener, etc.....'. But u learn a lot chasing rainbows; about others and your self. But the glamour and adventure of has gone for me now at 60+. Travelling is hard work and stressful now . I just want to get there and relax and need a balance between the new and familiar. But still enjoy looking, learning, and appreciating what I've got every day with an open mind.

• Like 1

I disagree.

Yes, I do agree there are those that are beyond all help and hopeless cases or in other words the losers who never learn by their mistakes or from the experiences of others. But there are also those that will take advantage of the inexperienced and let us admit, we were all naive sometime in our lives, no one is born streetwise and savvy, most of us have to live and learn, sometimes the hard way.

I disagree.

Yes, I do agree there are those that are beyond all help and hopeless cases or in other words the losers who never learn by their mistakes or from the experiences of others. But there are also those that will take advantage of the inexperienced and let us admit, we were all naive sometime in our lives, no one is born streetwise and savvy, most of us have to live and learn, sometimes the hard way.

and until we do we're stupid

No shortage of iffy buggers on this thread, if u ask me.

Reflection on Self is a quality....yes.....
Keep working on it......you will eventually get there. ;)
Nice try.

You write in an attempt to be smart or appear as if you are smart,

However, truth be known.........it's not really like that, is it?

Indeed it's time to reflect, may 2015 be the year where you focus on your own short comings instead of trying to point out everyone else's.

All the best for today Benalibina....I know it must cut from where you sit but it can only get better.

I hope 2015 takes away some of the bitterness you feel. You will need to work on this, it won't happen automatically. ;)

• Like 2

Perhaps ask yourself why in the back of your mind you're looking for faults in other expats as soon as you come across them, sizing them up, wondering what they're doing here, what their work is, are they 'straight arrow' etc., instead of just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The wise man looks for faults in himself not others. If you find yourself being suspicious of others maybe it's a reflection of yourself.

I see this 'anti-expat' phenomenon a lot, essentially I think it stems from insecurity and not wanting an influx of other expats on your 'patch' making you feel less unique. So the tendency is to want to convince yourself they're below you in some way, broke, a criminal, desperado, 'iffy'.

I do avoid the singha vest wearing, sexpat, red faced fat "drunk in the day" types a lot. I despise the criminal suit types as well; even more so. I also get annoyed by the over excited young tourists who show no respect.

I also get a little annoyed at the young somethings who think they are all it, just because of a bit of female attention and I also can't stand talking to the Thai bashers and the Thai Apologists and the farang who try to act Thai when they're clearly not.

However, I bump into these sorts and will be pleasant enough, they are just living their lives like all of us, I won't have them in my circle and I doubt they will be close friends either. They all don't irritate me, may not be my type of people but I've learnt I'm not going to connect with everyone and except others for what they are even if I don't want to waste my time having a conversation with them.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your first point in your last paragraph, well said. It definitely is a 'patch' thing I think and I'm just as guilty as that as I've also been guilty of avoiding the eye contact farang who walks past wanting to make conversation just because he wants to talk to another farang.

• Like 2

Just realised that I should have quoted the man who's birth is being celebrated today........................

..................."Judge not lest thee be judged"....................or something like that.

Just realised that I should have quoted the man who's birth is being celebrated today........................

..................."Judge not lest thee be judged"....................or something like that.

Who?

Who?

It must be jingthings birthday

I have traveled the world and lived in a few different countries. Been Thailand 20 years. I would have to say that I have never met such low life people than here. American, British, Iranian and Thai are the worst I have seen but I am sure all countries have their share represented in this land of scams and liars.

I would normally trust people and not think badly of anyone but have learned the hard way that you can't do same here. Trust no one but be friendly. Expect the unexpected ....

I've met lots of foreign people here I could trust my life with even my life savings.

• Like 1

Excellent point Mr. Toad. I hadn't thought about it in those terms, but yes, having been involved in these type of clubs in my home country, I've been a little surprised with what I've heard about them in the beach resort areas of Thailand.

I've heard other expats say this happens in other expat parts of the world, too -- in Spain, the Middle East, etc. It seems to be a British problem, where British con men gather to try to pry money out of their fellow countrymen. Maybe has something to do with the way their pension system works. Doesn't much matter with U.S. expats -- we're going to owe Uncle Sam taxes no matter where we live.

Actually, you might find that there are also US expats of the same ilk operating in a Thailand , and prominent in such organisations. That's not to have a go, just an observation. Pretty much all of my family have been involved in such organisations back in the UK, but the entry to such, is generally pretty difficult and there is a thorough vetting process.

My dad was a founder member of a local branch of the RBL back in Scotland. They had some shankers applying back then as well.

BTW Nancy, your post seems to have an Anti British slant to it.

It would appear we need some input from an actual VFW member. Failing that, maybe AnotherOneAmerican has an opinion on this?

I doubt he'll reply as he is not American.

• Like 1

Doesn't a large part of society consider us all 'iffy' for settling in Thailand, based on its reputation. Just a thought.

Oh, he's there for cheap sex.

Can't find a girl back home, he's after one of those Thai mail order brides.

Maybe he likes the ladyboys.

Or the 12 year olds.

Couldn't hack it here.

And so on. We think those prejudices ridiculous, yet believe our own about others once we get here.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

I have traveled the world and lived in a few different countries. Been Thailand 20 years. I would have to say that I have never met such low life people than here. American, British, Iranian and Thai are the worst I have seen but I am sure all countries have their share represented in this land of scams and liars.

I would normally trust people and not think badly of anyone but have learned the hard way that you can't do same here. Trust no one but be friendly. Expect the unexpected ....

Are you serious? Have you met the Australians, or the Germans....and how about the Dutch? I can assure you they largely consist of scum and criminals too.

By the way, I'm thinking of some new sandals, can someone advise on what constitutes an acceptable sandal and distinguishes itself from a flip flop? I want to appear respectable enough to con and thieve from people you see, so I've got to avoid looking like a conman and thief by ensuring I wear appropriate footwear.

Are you serious? Have you met the Australians, or the Germans....and how about the Dutch? I can assure you they largely consist of scum and criminals too.

By the way, I'm thinking of some new sandals, can someone advise on what constitutes an acceptable sandal and distinguishes itself from a flip flop? I want to appear respectable enough to con and thieve from people you see, so I've got to avoid looking like a conman and thief by ensuring I wear appropriate footwear.

Sandals are for fat old foreigner weirdos, flip flops is what most Thai men wear.

T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops would be the apparel of choice for 95% of Thai men.

Never seen a Thai wearing sandals (and I've looked).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican