Hellish Experience Coming Back Home From Suvarnabhumi Airport-Who Is At The Top To Take Action

discoverdb10

Another example of why I have stopped using taxis and only use Uber.

I arrived back to Bangkok last week after midnight and had a very pleasant ride home in a comfortable Uber car with a very friendly professional driver.

Uber is gaining strength worldwide principally because of the professionalism and helpfulness of their drivers. Cost savings are only secondary. I don't know how many times I've arrived back in Brisbane and despite my protesting and issuing of directions, the driver has taken me on a scenic tour of the Northern suburbs which ultimately results in a heated discussion at the end of the ride. Only recently an elderly friend of mine was dumped on the side of the road in searing heat because she had the gall to want to sit in the front seat and thus causing an in transit argument with the driver who was of a certain religious persuasion and didn't believe women had the right to sit on the same level as men.

So the problem is not unique to Thailand by any stretch. At least with Uber everything is pre-planned, recorded on the app and the driver's performance rated. Initially I was on the taxi drivers' side of the argument given they are supposed to be regulated and incur overheads and licensing costs, but when you read stories like that given by the OP, why not try the alternative.

"posting this taxi driver's behavior and photo qualifies you to be sued for defamation"

This country is NOT the litigious society of USA or some other western nations (sue and be damned)! coffee1.gif

Defamation cases are pretty popular here. Don't kid yourself.

Oh, cannot say I've read/seen reported very often.

"posting this taxi driver's behavior and photo qualifies you to be sued for defamation"

This country is NOT the litigious society of USA or some other western nations (sue and be damned)! coffee1.gif

Defamation cases are pretty popular here. Don't kid yourself.

Oh, cannot say I've read/seen reported very often.

That would probably be due to the defamation laws...

While I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the OP's story, posting pictures identifying the culprit seems pretty close to defamation.

And the fact that the OP has 2 posts, both on this thread, would make Thai Visa look pretty negligent if it came to a defamation suit.

Good point, couldnt agree more.

As for bkk taxis.... I must wear rose coloured glasses or something but generally I have found bkk taxis to be some of the best in the world. In particular compared to aus who must have some of the shi$$t.

Why not have the meter off? I almost always do if in the first place the driver has it turned on and I am heading out to the boonies. (Unlike the ops sad tale). Offer how much you wish to pay he can accept and turn the metre off if he so chooses or not.

I feel for these guys.... Low pay, long hours, bent traffic cops, drunks, a lot of rude foreigners (not all od course ... But many who insist on speaking English/russian/german/japanese too them even though in many cases they only understand enough English to negotiate directions and terms of service). I support the pay raise.

Sorry OP sounds like a terrible experience. Better luck next time.

Could just be a troll post simply to damage the guy's reputation.

or an uber shill.

I am pretty sure, I have heard the same story a year or so back from another Indian poster, maybe the same one.

Irrespective, it sounds like he had a bad experience, but it never ceases to amaze me how people have these awful experiences at the airport. I' must be lucky.

There are a number of taxi area where no meter etc is a problem, I just don't get in. At the airport at times had them offer me a good price, no, I'll take the meter, end of.

Generally, the majority of taxi drivers are t too bad, although there are bad apples.

Should have slapped him in the back of the head the first time he cursed.

Ummm... do you recall the story of the American who was stabbed to death by a cabbie who kept a samuri sword in the car? All caught on video. You may think you're a tough guy, but I'm not sure how well you'll do against a sword (unless, of course, you pass fully armed through airport security yourself).

Here's the video to jog your memory:

nope...."I KNOW I'M A TOUGH GUY".

thanks for posting this thread. i have his pics.

the taxi guy got mad because you would not take the toll road and tried to save some money. they snatch the paper like that with me also, actually the kiosk attendant now just gives it directly to the driver when i reach for it.

With the new automated system, the kiosk attendant gives you a slip of paper that tells you in which parking spot your taxi is waiting for you. Taxi drivers don't even have to get out of their cars, except to help with luggage.

3 trips with the new system and my waiting times have been 8 minutes on one trip, 30 seconds on the next, and walk right out to my waiting taxi- no queuing at all.

Unfortunately my last 3 experiences with the wonderful new queuing system have been less positive. Maybe it is the time of day I arrive (3-4 pm)

When I read the thread title immediately thought of the new system.

4 kiosks, 3 staff standing around one kiosk only, handing out the tickets. 20-40 minutes waiting time. Then the delays as the foreign tourists are unable to get the taxi driver to understand where they want to go, so then there has to be a conference. In the old system the girls wrote down the address on the paper.

So far the best part of the Swampy taxi experience starts when you actually get into the taxi.

and the part as you are leaving the airport an you pass the taxi parking with several hundred idle taxis all waiting their turn.....

Edited by bangon04

I am pretty sure, I have heard the same story a year or so back from another Indian poster, maybe the same one.

Irrespective, it sounds like he had a bad experience, but it never ceases to amaze me how people have these awful experiences at the airport. I' must be lucky.

There are a number of taxi area where no meter etc is a problem, I just don't get in. At the airport at times had them offer me a good price, no, I'll take the meter, end of.

Generally, the majority of taxi drivers are t too bad, although there are bad apples.

I have had bad experiences from the airport, mainly not wanting to operate the meter. I have even had a taxi with a bad meter (running fast) and many that did not want to turn on the meter. That is why I now drive either my car or bike to where I want to go. (ok if i know I will be drinking i take a cab)

The majority of taxi drivers are good especially here a bit ont he outside of BKK that changes when you get closer to the tourist places. It can be a serious problem to get a taxi, again.. i love my car and bike (bike more so)

Its funny, because us foreigners think we are the only ones that deal with this sh*it. Ask a Thai what they think of the majority of taxi drivers in Bangkok. They generally have worse things to say about them then us foreigners do.

Obviously, not every taxi driver is a complete a*s hole, but it sure seems like a whole lot of these guys are utter scumbags. Half of them would rather sit in from of a mall for 3 hours trying to find a tourist to rip off then just doing their job driving people around. This is truly why no one seems to have any sympathy for these guys when they whine about being underpaid. There are just too many lazy, scummy, and borderline dangerous ones for anyone to really care.

• Like 1

Indeed, you are not the only one...When I take a Taxi, I show the driver the map and tell him: "this is where we are now, and there is where we have to go by following this road" (now in Thai), an also insist to put the meter on before I geet into the car. wai2.gif Usually they are not pleased but still showing the amazing smile as ever.

They can read maps? That's new.

you could have 'done shoe' to this guy in the back of the head. sure, he could have gotten pretty pissed off. on the other hand he could have taken the opposite approach shut up and become docile with a quiet remainder of the trip.

kind of like dealing with an aggressive soi dog. if your half arsed they smell it and become more aggressive.

Edited by fey

Thumbs up to OP and his wife.

Instead of lodging a complaint with appropriate department or police, choice was made to post on thai visa.

Without sounding racist, but having lots of experience with Indian visitors , their side of story always skips a few chapters of what they did or said before other person looses their cool.

Where does the op say he is Indian? I read that he was returning from a trip to India...but that could be any nationality. Is it you have a personal dislike of Indians so couldn't wait to get in a jab at thwir expense...or do you, like many Thais unfortunately consider them "dirty" so assumed from this driver comment the passenger is Indian.

• Like 2

Thumbs up to OP and his wife.

Instead of lodging a complaint with appropriate department or police, choice was made to post on thai visa.

I like being involved in THE MEDIA, and am glad he did post it where it can be seen again and again. I believe WE are THE MEDIA and should do our part to prevent similar incidents happening unexposed.

I fear that the Taxi-situation at Swampy will get more and more nasty after introducing those printed slips.

some weeks ago, I experienced them for the first time. That time, those slips had an additional "suggestion" part on it, where you were ableto make complaints / comments like "overcharged", "switched off meter" or "others". there was an address printed on it (Suvarnabhumi Airport transport management, Bangna-Trat KM15) plus two phone numbers so it would have been easy to complain if necessary.

A few days ago I arrived at Swampy Airport again (and it took me 75 minutes to get through a chaotic waiting queue, but that's another story), and now the printed slip had NO MORE "suggestion" or "complaints" part on it, only a phone number.

which means it will be even more inconvenient to make a complaint in case something bad occurs during the ride with the taxi.

They really cannot get it right forever.....

main rule: NEVER EVER hand over the printed slip to your driver, as there is nothing on it he needs. this slip is FOR YOU only.

If they would clearly ANNOUNCE THIS in BIG LETTERS written on those slip-printing machines, the PAX would easily understand. Not everyone is a frequent user of Swampy like I am with more than 100 arrivals since its opening, and even to me bad things occasionally happen, but due to the fact I know where I am going, speak some Thai, and know the exact fare to my place, the scammers usually back off. Last time the cabbie had already opened the meter when he left the Taxi waiting area near the public Transport-terminal and the Meter showed 63. I politely asked him (in Thai) to switch on the Meter from anew which he then did and after that had no additional problems. The driver told me that due to the new Coupon-System, the waiting time for the Cabbies at the public transport waiting space was 2 hours until he finally got a ride. The driver I had when using the Coupon-system for the first time a few weeks ago told me exactly the same. So there is for sure something wrong with the new system (which would be great if implemented PROPERLY and all necessary information given to the PAX), but as this is Thailand, I know it is pretty hopeless to believe that things change to the better...... it's just MAI BPEN RAI as usual and luckily I have a certain knowledge of the Thai language which helps me to reduce attempted rip-offs or scams..... but most Russian, Chinese or Japanese tourists will still fall prey to the bad apples of the transport business until forever.....

Edited by siam2007

I figured this out also, no need to hand the slip to driver. They always ask your destination anyway. If they scream at me "You pay 500" or don't start the meter it's "Mei Ow Krap, Yot thi ni". I never put bags in the boot. I would say about half the time they try this crap, but once I protest they become polite. I don't think BKK taxi hacks are a bad lot, but they will try to take advantages if allowed, I don't speak Thai well. Probably resemble fresh meat.

I even had one scream at me "You give me 500 rupee!" I don't think I look Indian but BKK airport to Suk 11 would be a decent deal for 500 rupee if it included tolls!

Edited by arunsakda

So how come there's such huge queues now..? About six or seven months ago you could easily step off a plane and get a taxi in a minute from the stand. Last time I travelled in and out I saw a huge queue that trailed all the way back into the terminal- looked like it's was an hours wait or more.

Is it all because they changed the system? Seems genuinely insane, there's nothing wrong with it before, except it worked and it was efficient.

• Like 1

So how come there's such huge queues now..? About six or seven months ago you could easily step off a plane and get a taxi in a minute from the stand. Last time I travelled in and out I saw a huge queue that trailed all the way back into the terminal- looked like it's was an hours wait or more. Is it all because they changed the system? Seems genuinely insane, there's nothing wrong with it before, except it worked and it was efficient.

That is my experience as well.

Before the new system I rarely, if ever, had to wait at the taxi desks. That being based on numerous trips over the last few years. Worked far better than most airport taxi systems I have used in other countries.

Roll forward to the new system and, based on 5/6 trips, a queue every time with a minimum wait of 15/20mins. Really cannot see the advantage of the new system given that, instead of having 5/6 desks manned with staff who were able to clearly indicate requested destination to the taxi driver, we now have passengers needing to deal directly with the drivers.

In the past I had no issues when heading to the taxi queue. Now, I am expecting yet another queue after a long journey full of queues.

What was the commission on the new system? Someone has made a killing on that, for sure.

• Like 1

So apparently it cost 23 million baht for the new system, according to the newspaper we're not allowed to link to on this forum.

I didn't even realise there were automated kiosks now... can't understand how if there's more kiosks then there's a huge queue, unless everyone is queuing in the wrong place.

According to the TAT-

The 10 new kiosks, to be found outside Gates 4 and 7 on the first floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport’s terminal building, are designed to cut waiting times to as little as five seconds by managing the queues and directing passengers to numbered taxi ranks, at the press of a button. Passengers in groups or with many bags will be able to opt for one of the larger taxis to ensure they have enough space. These methods will reduce the processing time to allocate the taxi.

http://www.tatnews.org/suvarnabhumi-airport-enhance-services-travellers-new-automatic-taxi-kiosks-now-open/

Sorry, this is probably old news to a lot of people, just I flew out and back in last month and was utterly confused at the huge queue which snaked all the way round to the down escalator for the trains (in the end I just got a train because even though it's a pain in the arse, you're getting somewhere rather than standing... of course that service is nerfed as well since they suspended the express train...)

Edited by Rumblecat

So how come there's such huge queues now..? About six or seven months ago you could easily step off a plane and get a taxi in a minute from the stand. Last time I travelled in and out I saw a huge queue that trailed all the way back into the terminal- looked like it's was an hours wait or more. Is it all because they changed the system? Seems genuinely insane, there's nothing wrong with it before, except it worked and it was efficient.

this seems to be because they are only allowed to leave the waiting area near the public Transport Terminal and approach the Airport Taxi area once their plate number has been printed out by the machine and ensured they have a passenger. They will now leave the waiting area and go to their designated stand number where they pick up the Pax. this is why the Taxi usually isn't there yet once you walk to the assigned parking position. But obviously this is much more time-consuming and indeed there were always queues of PAX waiting for Cabs and the Cabs only slowly arriving one after each other.

That thing has cost 23 Millions THB ? holy crap...... well, probably half of the amount ended up in some VIP's pockets anyway......

Edited by siam2007

Ok, for a start the meter said 130 and you gave the driver 150 ... most people know that there is an airport pick up surcharge of 50 baht .... so in fact you underpaid him by 30 baht, and did not give any "extra".

I am also thinking that you may have omitted parts of the story here. I deal with many Indian clients in my work and most of them are very hard to deal with as they constantly try and cut what is required to be paid, over and over again. Even when we explain, they repeat the same rubbish over and over again, trying to pretend that they do not understand. Why did your wife have to speak to the driver ? You are a frequent visitor.

I don't get how you can spend a considerable sum of money to get here, and yet you are making a big thing about the highway. The driver does not make on this. It's early hours of the morning, you are on your own, common sense should tell you to be polite and not argue with any Thai person, let alone taxi driver. You have chosen to use a taxi and so the highway is normally standard.

You should acknowledge the driver with a nod, smile and say meter krup before getting in. Once they start the journey make sure that the meter is on. Do not stupidly wait till the journey is nearly completed. Too late.

I have taken airport taxi over 100 times, and I can swear hand on heart ... I have never had a problem .... they always use the meter. Of course in town I have had the same experiences as everyone has had ... par for the course .... but I deal with it.

Are you sure that you have told the whole story about what was said ? My considerable dealings with Indians have shown them to be economical with the truth. Maybe you upset the driver in some way ? I am not judging you, it could be that the driver has had a problem with Indians in the past ..... but if I were a betting man .... I think this is a case of som nam na as opposed to poor farang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another superior poster. There now, do you feel better you have put the OP in his place. Good for you.

Exactly. Reading Rome's post the first time brought to mind the cartoon "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog".

So here's my Rome version:

On the Internet nobody knows you're an English teacher making 15k baht a month and living in a 10 by 10 air-less apartment with your gf who was once the cutest thing on a pole at Playskool.

And nobody knows you're working on a used PC sitting on dresser together with the washing and dirty dishes.

Ok, so I am going to tell them about "Indian clients". This will sound impressive. On the Internet nobody knows that my only clients are badly-behaved Thai 12-year-olds. God, I could cry. But nobody need know this. Anyway, putting this runty curry muncher in place will improve my spirits.

And I'll talk about 100s of taxi rides to the airport which will make me sound like a business flyer. Because nobody on the Internet will ever find out that I haven't flown in years and only take the bus. God, how I wish I had the money to fly home and see mom.

Nok's still sleeping. It's weird how tired she gets from seeing her brother who lives just across the street. And it's weird that I have never seen him. She says he's handicapped which is why I support him too, but I wish she would bring him over at least once or let me go over. But I guess he's too ill to receive a visitor. It's almost like he's across the internet somewhere. Heh, heh, I made a funny.

The minute you make a personal attack on romeland that is all fantasy because you haven't the faintest clue what he is like in real life all because he correctly summed up how indians behave like shows the amount of hurt you have received.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows what is real and what isn't. Does anyone know what romeland is like in real life if he's actually rich or poor and you actually tried to make it sound like it's impossible for him to take 100s of taxi rides and even thais with medium income can easily take 100s of taxi rides not to mention any foreigner.

Anyway anyone who has had to deal with indians know what they are like. That's for sure. Don't know how it's like you're welcome to try and see if your own experience is different from romeland's.

Let me guess you must be indian right? Fix that attitude of yours instead of trying to "defend" your own from your own nasty behavior by going to the lowest common denominator which is to make personal attacks on another poster with 0 basis at all.