Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

One more question that I can't see covered here (sorry if it has been) -- how to pay if one does not have a credit card?

I do have an SCB Super Debit plus (Debit/ATM card) but that seems useless when trying to pay outside Thailand (sometimes to airlines within Thailand!).

Thanks.

quick question for you .has anybody tried renewing a second personel passport here in bangkok.. i am sure it will cause all sorts of alarms to go off...lol

before i just sent to to HK with a letter from my company explaining why i needed no problems,

cheers

I successfully renewed both my full UK passports via VFS in Trendy within 6 weeks of each other late December 2014 through early February 2015. As long as you have the original letters from your company included with each application, you should not have any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got a new passport when they have gone home for a holiday ,i know you can do it same day as long as you make an appointment ,the bit i was wondering about is when you come back into Thailand your re entry stamp is in your old passport , has anyone encountered a problem?

URGENT

Not sure if this the right place to post so apologies in advance if this is wrong or a repeated question.

I need to renew my british passport because it is full, not expiring for 1 more year (May 2016) and my current ed-visa will expire on the 19th May 2015. I need to get my passport back before then in order to exit for a new visa at the end of May. I live in Chiang Mai and there is no way I am forking out extra on 2 round trips just so someone can confirm that I can actually fill out a form and provide a photo of myself that does indeed look like me, so my question is: Has anyone posted their application directly back to the UK passport application office? If so how did it work out? How long turnaround? Any special instructions?

Thank you for any useful information

I went up to do my kids passports on the 13th February and the whole process was very easy. The young staff at V.F.S. are very polite, efficient and fluent in English.

My daughter's passport renewal came back and was ready for collection on the 5th March, so about 20 days. My son's first passport hasn't come back yet but I suppose that first passports take longer to process. V.F.S. will hold on to the passports for a month, so I really hope that my son's comes soon as I live Down South and was hoping to collect them both in one trip.

I paid with my debit card, you just fill in the card numbers on a form and it was £76.01 for each passport.

I went up to do my kids passports on the 13th February and the whole process was very easy. The young staff at V.F.S. are very polite, efficient and fluent in English.

My daughter's passport renewal came back and was ready for collection on the 5th March, so about 20 days. My son's first passport hasn't come back yet but I suppose that first passports take longer to process. V.F.S. will hold on to the passports for a month, so I really hope that my son's comes soon as I live Down South and was hoping to collect them both in one trip.

I paid with my debit card, you just fill in the card numbers on a form and it was £76.01 for each passport.

Agreed. It's often very much quicker than they caution you to expect. They say 6 to 8 weeks in the application guidance for Bangkok. The turnaround for my passport and that of my 5 year old daughter was 19 days - received notice today from HMPO.

Other aspects that may be of interest from my own experience are:

1. The helpline in the UK (that's where you have to direct your questions) is very helpful and was easy to get through to an HMPO representative. I was told I could indeed use a bank confirmation of my Thai address provided it was in English or translated by a properly qualified tramslator. I found that the tax certifficate for interest on one of my Krungsri time deposit accounts was in English, so I got a (unaddressed) current financial statement letter from Krungsri and married it to the addressed tax certificate and that worked fine. Others may be able to get their Thai bank to isue a normal confirmation addressed in English. Note that I was told to state in the 'Other Information' section that I was using a bank statement because I could not meet the requirements for the type of proof suggested by HMPO

2. There is debate earlier in the thread as to whether your existing passport is cancelled on application. The suggestion is that it is cancelled electronically when you apply. All I will say is that the instruction to come and collect ones passport states that one "must bring your previous passport(s) with you for cancellation". That rather suggests it remains usable for travel and not just ID (if it is still within its validity period). My provincial Thai immigration office also told me that Thailand does not regard your passport as cancelled until it has been physically cancelled by cutting the corner. They even ran my old passport through their scanners to show me that there was no block on my old passport - this was done two weeks after I applied and given that the whole process only took another 5 days after that it suggests that you may still be able to travel on your old unexpired passport until it is physically cancelled. I would want to confirm that with HMPO if I wanted to rely on rocking up to UK Border with a passport that was part way through the renewal process though.

• 1 month later...

OK lots of info for me to digest regarding my original post... thanks for all your answers.

Just a quick question:

As I'm re-newing my passport and making the application in BKK can I pay by cash (Thai baht) at the time of application

I have a Thailand SCB account but only a valid ATM card not debit/credit facility etc
I do not have a UK a/c

thanks again..

OK lots of info for me to digest regarding my original post... thanks for all your answers.

Just a quick question:

As I'm re-newing my passport and making the application in BKK can I pay by cash (Thai baht) at the time of application

I have a Thailand SCB account but only a valid ATM card not debit/credit facility etc

I do not have a UK a/c

thanks again..

No. You have to pay by card. The card is charged in the UK, not Thailand. If you don't have a card you can ask a friend to use theirs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

1. Making the appointment at Trendy:

How far ahead should I allow to ask for a time?

What would be a sensible way to assess what sort of times to ask for?

Does on apply by email? Email address please?

2. Friend or wife will deliver application at Trendy owing to difficulty travelling.

Is there a standard proxy form or do I just write one?

3.I have heard of payment problems

Should i open a SCB prepaid card and use that?

(Forgot the name....anyone know?)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to the above posts, its useful to know that in the lobby of trendy building there are copy shops with xerox machines and translation servies, offering translation for 150 baht, wish id known this in advance!

Hi there

2. Friend or wife will deliver application at Trendy owing to difficulty travelling.

Thanks

You can get an appointment fairly quickly certainly within a week. Each time slot allows multiple entries to the building so it is not 1 slot for 1 person. After you have submitted the application and paid you will be given the option of booking the appointment. If it is your wife who is applying for the visa then she is the person who has to go in person. You cannot go in her place nor can anyone else. You will normally not be allowed to accompany her in to the application area. Make sure she tells the staff at Trendy Building that she wants the application to be submitted as you have supplied it. I have not had any problems paying by card and a reputable card should go through without difficulty.

Has anyone got a new passport when they have gone home for a holiday ,i know you can do it same day as long as you make an appointment ,the bit i was wondering about is when you come back into Thailand your re entry stamp is in your old passport , has anyone encountered a problem?

Just did this. So easy made an appointment a few days in advance popped in (20 minutes early) handed in my passport and 128 pounds at the desk ,three and a half hours later called back ,picked up my new passport,a few days ago came through immigration ,he didn't even blink an eye,obviously seen this many times,tomorrow I go to immigration to get my stamps transformed ,will report when it's done

Im not entirely clear on what the process is when you get your passport back (in bangkok) as reagrds transfering visa to the new passport, could someone explain whats involved, as i need to try and get pick up and visa transefr done within a day

Hi there

Thanks

You can get an appointment fairly quickly certainly within a week. Each time slot allows multiple entries to the building so it is not 1 slot for 1 person. After you have submitted the application and paid you will be given the option of booking the appointment. If it is your wife who is applying for the visa then she is the person who has to go in person. You cannot go in her place nor can anyone else. You will normally not be allowed to accompany her in to the application area. Make sure she tells the staff at Trendy Building that she wants the application to be submitted as you have supplied it. I have not had any problems paying by card and a reputable card should go through without difficulty.

Thankyou Bigyin

I realise you have really tried to be helpful here but I am confused.

I have now an acceptable payment method.

I also have an appointment the 15th June.

A friend's daughter in BKK will be delivering the application.

You're not saying only she can pick up the passport when it's ready are you?

Hi there

Thanks

Thankyou Bigyin

I realise you have really tried to be helpful here but I am confused.

I have now an acceptable payment method.

I also have an appointment the 15th June.

A friend's daughter in BKK will be delivering the application.

You're not saying only she can pick up the passport when it's ready are you?

I was trying to be helpful but got my posts mixed up. Put my comments down to old age and just ignore them.

A hiccup?

Digitalchromemonkey

I started an SCB virtual card last week specifically for the passport payment.

I credited it with 6000 baht.

The girl at SCB got on the blower with BKK I think because she didn't think the virtual card could be used for payments abroad.

She handed me the phone saying the lady spoke perfect English, which she did.

I told her about the passport payment and so on.

She said the virtual card system was not complete at this stage and so far it is only set up to make payments in baht, therefore only in Thailand.

I told her about the firm information I'd received that it was OK and hypothesised that maybe HMPO took enough baht to make the payment.

We both realised she could make no comment so I made my thanks and hung up.

I guess the question is have folks here actually used this card and are we sure it's kosher for the job.

Thanks....

Dont wish to hijack this thread, but at the same time dont want to flood the forum by starting another thread.

My question is about the cancellation of the previous passport. I have an appointment next week in Bangkok to renew my passport which doesn't expire for another 3 years, its got about 2 years left in terms of estimated stamps I will accrue, I booked this appointment in panic as I was hearing scary stories about UK passports taking forever to renew, but having read this thread it seems this is not the case anymore.

So can anyone give any further clarification that the old passport can be retained and still used until the pages are used up, or is it a compulsory requirement that the old passport corner must be snipped off and canceled ?

I have asked this question at the Trendy office in Bangkok and through the Gov.uk site but I cant get an answer.

The old passport has to be cancelled and they will cut the corner off the pages, in theory you shouldn't use it once an application has been submitted, but some people have reported doing so.

They will/should allow up to nine months extra on your new passport to account for some of the time remaining on your old one.

The old passport has to be cancelled and they will cut the corner off the pages, in theory you shouldn't use it once an application has been submitted, but some people have reported doing so.

They will/should allow up to nine months extra on your new passport to account for some of the time remaining on your old one.

I renewed mine at VFS a year ago.

I can confirm that the passport was NOT cancelled on application, and when I collected the new passport the corners were not cut off the old one.

Further, having received the new passport I thought I would try to travel to Cambodia to test my theory that that the issue of UK passports is not linked to the Thai immigration system.

I had no problem going out and returning on the old passport.

Shortly after, I went to immigration to transfer my stamps. At this point the new passport gets entered on the system and I am sure I could no longer use the old one.

I can confirm that the passport was NOT cancelled on application, and when I collected the new passport the corners were not cut off the old one.

Mine however was cancelled, by cutting the corner, when I collected my new passport.

Given that the advice was, or at least used to be, that a passport is electronically cancelled on application, I'm not sure that that I would have taken the chance, though it seems that you might get away with it at land crossings.

Mine however was cancelled, by cutting the corner, when I collected my new passport.

Given that the advice was, or at least used to be, that a passport is electronically cancelled on application, I'm not sure that that I would have taken the chance, though it seems that you might get away with it at land crossings.

Yes - sorry, I would not have risked it an international airport - although I could have tried it because I had my new passport by then.

Theoretically, the immigration computer system should be no different at an airport to one at a land border.....

I should add that the reason I 'tested the system' was because a number of people (myself included) were getting rather too close to the end of permissions to stay because of the horrendous passport processing times last year.

Thanks guys, I actually received an email in the end from the passport office, they firmly stated that the old passport would not be valid for use and I would not be able to travel on it after my new passport has been issued.

My feeling is the UK passport office simply don't want you to continue with your old one, they know you can actually still use your old one but would prefer to make you believe that you cant. As others have commented some have continued to use the old passport, which would mean there is no electronic cancellation (i.e. linked to any immigration computer), the only way that a passport can be canceled is to physically snip the corner, otherwise why the need to snip the corner ?

In the email they stated that the examiner "should" cancel the passport by snipping off the corners. So if I was to pick up my new passport and refuse to allow them to snip the corner off, would they refuse to give me my new passport ? I would say probably not.

Update: Had a call from Bangkok telling me my passport is ready for pick up, less than 2 weeks after submission, very promt and easy, asked them about switching the visa and they said i can get a form to do it there, can anyone tell me how this works as im hoping to pick up the passport in the morning and get the visa transfered same day and then head off for a visa run, is the visa tranfer to new passport easy, and where do i need ot go in bangkok, they seemed very vague just saying i could get a from there, i have heard you need some kind of letter proving both passports belong to you, and that i need to do it in advanced

seeing as my passport renewal went smoothly should also add that my proof of residence in thailand was my contract for housewhich showed my address and a letter from sons school with my name but no address, these obvioullsy sufficed

Update: Had a call from Bangkok telling me my passport is ready for pick up, less than 2 weeks after submission, very promt and easy, asked them about switching the visa and they said i can get a form to do it there, can anyone tell me how this works as im hoping to pick up the passport in the morning and get the visa transfered same day and then head off for a visa run, is the visa tranfer to new passport easy, and where do i need ot go in bangkok, they seemed very vague just saying i could get a from there, i have heard you need some kind of letter proving both passports belong to you, and that i need to do it in advanced

The stamps cannot be transferred at VFS, only at immigration.

This would normally be your local immigration office. Depending on their practice you may need to get a letter from the British Embassy 'certifying' the new passport (you will need an appointment for that). My immigration didn't need such letter but I have heard of several that do.

You can do your visa run anyway - just take both passports.

The stamps cannot be transferred at VFS, only at immigration.

This would normally be your local immigration office. Depending on their practice you may need to get a letter from the British Embassy 'certifying' the new passport (you will need an appointment for that). My immigration didn't need such letter but I have heard of several that do.

You can do your visa run anyway - just take both passports.

When you collect your passport the will also give you an envelope explaining what to do next. The form you are talking about (they give you this with your new passport) is the confirmation that you have been issued with a new passport. You fill this in and then have three choices, you can take it to the British Embassy to get it signed and stamped, you can fill it in and post it to the Embassy or you can email it to them. I posted mine and it was back within three days, took it to immigration along with the other paperwork required and they transfered everything, no problem

Thanks guys, I actually received an email in the end from the passport office, they firmly stated that the old passport would not be valid for use and I would not be able to travel on it after my new passport has been issued.

My feeling is the UK passport office simply don't want you to continue with your old one, they know you can actually still use your old one but would prefer to make you believe that you cant. As others have commented some have continued to use the old passport, which would mean there is no electronic cancellation (i.e. linked to any immigration computer), the only way that a passport can be canceled is to physically snip the corner, otherwise why the need to snip the corner ?

In the email they stated that the examiner "should" cancel the passport by snipping off the corners. So if I was to pick up my new passport and refuse to allow them to snip the corner off, would they refuse to give me my new passport ? I would say probably not.

When you go to collect your new passport the first thing you pass over is your old one. They then give you your new passport and some other paperwork. Once you have this and sign for it they cut the corners on your old one and pass it back to you, so in reality you have no say in the matter. When I applied a guy in the next booth was collecting his. He was ranting and raving they could not cut the corners because of some other visas he had in there. Waste of time, they cut them handed the old passport back and called security.

Archived