Road trip to Pattaya.

NoshowJones

Last May, I did a road trip to Pattaya on my PCX 150, although I had no mishaps, it was a nightmare, all the way to Pattaya, I only ever saw one other motorbike. I decided to post my bike back home, and get a bus. I now want to ride to Pattaya again, this time the whole way on Thanon Sukhumvit road, well away from the Bang Na- Strat road.

Looking at the Bing map, I see you can just follow Sukhumvit road up past the BTS stations, and go straight on to Pattaya staying on the Thanon Sukhumvit road. Has anyone rode this road before? Can you tell me anything about it, and anything I should look out for. Thanks.

I've used that route a couple of times - it's much better than the Bang Na Trad highway which has heavy truck traffic and massive pot holes. After Bearing you go through Samut Prakarn and them along the side of a river to Bang Saen then Pattaya. Traffic is light and slow moving and there's road side cafe's and the odd supermarket for stops. It takes longer than riding along the highway but it's a nicer ride (well - a less horrible ride).

This is interesting. I want to do it soon but I am not sure with the pcx I will be comfortable enough. The several times that I have been going to Pattaya by car via the tollway I could see on the roads along the tall way motorcycles riding all the way without surrounded by traffic. Is this another route that can be done or it's one of these mentioned above? There s also this elevated tollway through Bangna that has less traffic than the other one. The road under it is good and wide.

I've been down that way a couple of times (just to Chonburi so can't comment past there). Know that it can be pretty busy on Sukhumvit and I'd recommend bypassing most of Samut Prakarn by taking Srinakarin [3344] down to Sukhumvit. If you want to bypass all the construction going on due to the sky train being installed, even going down to Tamru-Bang Phil [3256] wouldn't be a bad idea. Also recommend taking the Chonburi bypass [361] as that obviates a lot of stop lights.

• Like 2

I've used that route a couple of times - it's much better than the Bang Na Trad highway which has heavy truck traffic and massive pot holes. After Bearing you go through Samut Prakarn and them along the side of a river to Bang Saen then Pattaya. Traffic is light and slow moving and there's road side cafe's and the odd supermarket for stops. It takes longer than riding along the highway but it's a nicer ride (well - a less horrible ride).

Thanks, that's a big help.

This is interesting. I want to do it soon but I am not sure with the pcx I will be comfortable enough. The several times that I have been going to Pattaya by car via the tollway I could see on the roads along the tall way motorcycles riding all the way without surrounded by traffic. Is this another route that can be done or it's one of these mentioned above? There s also this elevated tollway through Bangna that has less traffic than the other one. The road under it is good and wide.

The PCX150 is comfortable enough, I have not long completed a ride from Phichit to Mukdahan and back, no sore backside.

I've been down that way a couple of times (just to Chonburi so can't comment past there). Know that it can be pretty busy on Sukhumvit and I'd recommend bypassing most of Samut Prakarn by taking Srinakarin [3344] down to Sukhumvit. If you want to bypass all the construction going on due to the sky train being installed, even going down to Tamru-Bang Phil [3256] wouldn't be a bad idea. Also recommend taking the Chonburi bypass [361] as that obviates a lot of stop lights.

Thanks Dave, keep that in mind.

Now best route to go pattaya from bangkok especially on a pcx is highway no 3. It is a slower road with better scenery and noy very bisy. Never bang na - trat on a pcx and with all the construction there, i also prefer highway no 3 along the coast.

Edited by ll2

Now best route to go pattaya from bangkok especially on a pcx is highway no 3. It is a slower road with better scenery and noy very bisy. Never bang na - trat on a pcx and with all the construction there, i also prefer highway no 3 along the coast.

Yes, you mean the Thanon Sukhumvit road, I can turn left into Sukhumvit soi 77 just before On-nut BTS, straight down that road, then right turn into 3344, straight on past Seacon Square. on a few Ks to the end then left turn into Thannon Sukhumvit road, that's Highway 3.

• Like 1

Yes, you mean the Thanon Sukhumvit road, I can turn left into Sukhumvit soi 77 just before On-nut BTS, straight down that road, then right turn into 3344, straight on past Seacon Square. on a few Ks to the end then left turn into Thannon Sukhumvit road, that's Highway 3.

You can do that, but depending on the time you go Srinakarin can be pretty busy past Bang Na Trad also as it narrows down and gets really busy with those shops right up against the road. I'd stay on Srinarkarin until Thepharak Road [3268] the pop over to [3256].

When were you going to make this trip? I would possibly be interested in riding part of the way, like say to the [314] where I'd turn off to Chachengsao (actually I'd go straight and you'd turn off towards Patters)?

You can do that, but depending on the time you go Srinakarin can be pretty busy past Bang Na Trad also as it narrows down and gets really busy with those shops right up against the road. I'd stay on Srinarkarin until Thepharak Road [3268] the pop over to [3256].

When were you going to make this trip? I would possibly be interested in riding part of the way, like say to the [314] where I'd turn off to Chachengsao (actually I'd go straight and you'd turn off towards Patters)?

As I will be in no rush, how will it be if I just follow Sukhumvit past Bearing BTS, all the way on to Thanon Sukhumvit and down the coast road hgw 3? Is there a best time to go? I will be going either the end of Jan or beginning of Feb.

As I will be in no rush, how will it be if I just follow Sukhumvit past Bearing BTS, all the way on to Thanon Sukhumvit and down the coast road hgw 3? Is there a best time to go? I will be going either the end of Jan or beginning of Feb.

I'd aim to be hitting Bang Na-Trad / Sukhumvit intersection about 1030. That way you're through Samut Prakarn by the time people start their lunches. You'll be in Chonburi after everyone goes back to work from their lunch break and be arriving in Pattaya right before it goes crazy with everyone getting off work.

• Like 1

Just not rush hours.

Apart from that highway no 3 is not very crowded. Also weekends around 12.00 and around 17.00 - 18.00, it might be crowded.

Best way to/from bkk to pattaya imo until the construction is done at bang na - trat road.

• Like 1

Go out of Minburi on the 304 and pickup the 314 at Chachengsao into Pats, I rode into Bangkok using this route not to bad but some traffic

Outbound there's some construction going on at the moment, but you're correct about it probably being nicer than going down Sukhumvit. The only problem is that we don't really know the start point for the OP, but assuming a starting point of Sukhumvit/On Nut, it adds ~20kms to the route.

Another option that adds no km is to turn off onto On Nut/Lat Krabang/[3001] and follow that out to [314]. Stays a nice divided road until the last 20 km of [3001].

Personally, I would avoid Sukhumvit as much as possible until Samut Prakarn (joining from Srinakarin). The BTS construction past Bearing causes huge congestion and unpleasant riding.

Do take note however that past Srinakarin all the way to Bang Pakong, there are a lot of industries and therefore quite a lot of heavy vehicle traffic. Not an issue if you are riding fast but doing 60 along this stretch has it's risks (and the road is not that wide, even though it's four lanes in places).

Personally, I would avoid Sukhumvit as much as possible until Samut Prakarn (joining from Srinakarin). The BTS construction past Bearing causes huge congestion and unpleasant riding.

Do take note however that past Srinakarin all the way to Bang Pakong, there are a lot of industries and therefore quite a lot of heavy vehicle traffic. Not an issue if you are riding fast but doing 60 along this stretch has it's risks (and the road is not that wide, even though it's four lanes in places).

Even on Sukhumvit past Samut Prakarn (almost down to Wat Asokoram or maybe even past) there's BTS construction. The road isn't that good through Samut Prakarn in the best of times with a nasty sport at Sai Luat Road and further down (on the return) where Sukhumvit gains its divider.

Even on Sukhumvit past Samut Prakarn (almost down to Wat Asokoram or maybe even past) there's BTS construction. The road isn't that good through Samut Prakarn in the best of times with a nasty sport at Sai Luat Road and further down (on the return) where Sukhumvit gains its divider.

Yes, but no other way to rejoin Sukhumvit unless taking Thanon On Nut / Lat Krabang all the way to Chacheongsao / Bang Pakong and then turning south. Mind you, lots of construction going on in CCS as well, as I discovered last week on my ride to Aranyaprathet.

Yes, but no other way to rejoin Sukhumvit unless taking Thanon On Nut / Lat Krabang all the way to Chacheongsao / Bang Pakong and then turning south. Mind you, lots of construction going on in CCS as well, as I discovered last week on my ride to Aranyaprathet.

We were down that way on the 21st. Skirted CCS so it wasn't too bad.

However, you can exit Sukhumvit onto On Nut, go down to Srinarkarin [3344], follow that to Thepharak [3268] and stay on there until it t-bones into Bang Bo-Khlong Dan Road [3117]. That will take you right down to Sukhumvit. Not too shabby of a route.

• Like 2

However, you can exit Sukhumvit onto On Nut, go down to Srinarkarin [3344], follow that to Thepharak [3268] and stay on there until it t-bones into Bang Bo-Khlong Dan Road [3117]. That will take you right down to Sukhumvit. Not too shabby of a route.

Thanks for this. I might give this a try over the next couple of days just to check it out.

• Like 2

Go out of Minburi on the 304 and pickup the 314 at Chachengsao into Pats, I rode into Bangkok using this route not to bad but some traffic

Outbound there's some construction going on at the moment, but you're correct about it probably being nicer than going down Sukhumvit. The only problem is that we don't really know the start point for the OP, but assuming a starting point of Sukhumvit/On Nut, it adds ~20kms to the route.

Another option that adds no km is to turn off onto On Nut/Lat Krabang/[3001] and follow that out to [314]. Stays a nice divided road until the last 20 km of [3001].

I will be coming down past Don Muang airport, down to Sukhumvit to the Preme Hostel (it is cheap and has lovely clean rooms) just past soi 23, so that would be the start point, I have road from there up to On-nut before.

I know Srinakarin as far as Seacon Square, but after that, I don't. How is that road all the way to Thanon Sukhumvit? I just thought that going all the way on Sukhumvit would make sure I did not get lost, it doesn't matter if it takes longer, I am in no hurry. Is the BTS construction past Bearing really that bad? I'll just have to make the choice between that and the 3344 Srinakarin road.

When you ride along the 3344 to Thepharak (3268) do you turn left or right there? I cannot see 3268 on the Bing map.

Thanks for this. I might give this a try over the next couple of days just to check it out.

Please let me know if you do.

I know Srinakarin as far as Seacon Square, but after that, I don't. How is that road all the way to Thanon Sukhumvit? I just thought that going all the way on Sukhumvit would make sure I did not get lost, it doesn't matter if it takes longer, I am in no hurry. Is the BTS construction past Bearing really that bad? I'll just have to make the choice between that and the 3344 Srinakarin road.

At the bottom is a google map link for you. As you can see it's really simple. Personally after you get on the other side of the Thepharak overpass (as you are talking about doing by following Srinarkarin all the way down to Sukhumvit) I hate the road. Trust us...the construction is bad. It's narrowed down the streets (you do like riding closer to big lorries don't you?), there is construction debris everywhere, etc. Just about the only good thing is that there is now shade in places.

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?saddr=Route+3&daddr=Route+3344+to:Route+3268+to:Route+3117+to:Route+361+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=13.405651,100.855865&spn=1.104748,1.690521&sll=12.928653,100.887065&sspn=0.034591,0.052829&geocode=FTSW0QAdJHf-BQ%3BFX870QAdgrT_BQ%3BFUvwzwAdsHP_BQ%3BFUAQzwAdJqoCBg%3BFWK5zAAdSxwFBg%3BFctLxQAdYUUDBg&mra=mi&mrsp=5&sz=15&t=m&z=10

From Seacon Square (which should be on your left), you just keep going on Srinakarin until you literally hit Sukhumvit - you can't miss it as it's a T-junction and you have to turn left. I would definitely recommend this as opposed to going down Sukhumvit from soi 23.

I'm not sure how bad the road is from this Srinakarin / Sukhumvit junction onwards. Dave_Boo gave a good detour via Theparak but I think that might be defeating your purpose of riding Sukhumvit road and it's also a bit more complicated as you can see from the map.

When is your planned ride dates?

From Seacon Square (which should be on your left), you just keep going on Srinakarin until you literally hit Sukhumvit - you can't miss it as it's a T-junction and you have to turn left. I would definitely recommend this as opposed to going down Sukhumvit from soi 23.

I'm not sure how bad the road is from this Srinakarin / Sukhumvit junction onwards. Dave_Boo gave a good detour via Theparak but I think that might be defeating your purpose of riding Sukhumvit road and it's also a bit more complicated as you can see from the map.

Trust me, the road is bad. I wouldn't tell anyone (well except for maybe ll2 tongue.png) to go that way.

The detour I suggested is dead simple. Turn left on Therpharak and keep going until it t-bones into [3117]. Turn right and go down until it t-bones into Sukhumvit [3]. Turn left and follow that down to Pattaya.

• Like 2

Around the end of Jan or beginning of Feb, my thinking at the moment is doing the 3344, but I'm told the road is bad from the 3268 at the Parak to the Sukhumvit junction, I'm not sure about doing the 3268 to the 3117 as you say it is a bit more complicated. how far is it from the 3268 at the Parak to the Sukhumvit junction to the 3344?

Around the end of Jan or beginning of Feb, my thinking at the moment is doing the 3344, but I'm told the road is bad from the 3268 at the Parak to the Sukhumvit junction, I'm not sure about doing the 3268 to the 3117 as you say it is a bit more complicated. how far is it from the 3268 at the Parak to the Sukhumvit junction to the 3344?

It's approximately 4 km from the junction of [3344]/[3268] down to [3344]/[3]. You then have approximately 7 more km until I think you're finished with the sky train construction. About 24 km after that you finally get to the [3]/[3117] where I have been recommending finally getting back on [3] (Sukhumvit).

Going the route I have suggested knocks off almost a full 4 km also.