Riding safe in Thailand - what's a safe speed?

Gweiloman

If you have to ask the OP question, you shouldn't be driving at all.

You drive according to the road conditions, the law and your ability, not the speedometer.

Oh and PS - the law in Thailand is frequently an ass!

Edited by wilcopops

Good topic here Gman, I will follow it with interest, I am very interested to hear other bikers opinions, can I ask if anyone with smaller bikes ie, Honda Wave or PCX does road trips, and their opinions about speed and safety?

I ride a wave and do short trips of 100-120 kilometers before stopping.

I used to go about 70kph but realized I was looking around at scenery and photo ops too much so I now putter along at 55kph.

I don't feel unsafe riding on the left side or when being overtaken.

People on big bikes talking about speeds in excess of 140kph, I don't think is a good idea even in the West. I think 180 even in a car is foolish and dangerous.

• Like 1

Prefer not going over 150 - 160 kph if i am touring. Above that might make tou tired and you miss the scenery as you have to focus on riding the bike more.

But for spirited rides with others with the aim of riding only, if road ahead is empty and if it is a long stretch with good visibility, i dont mind pushing my bike to rev limiter at 6th speed.

But i always slow down at intersections and sometime at busy u turns.

Keep in mind, over the years what i understand, if you are on a bike always be ahead than behind. Much safer to be away from other vehicles.

With long years of experience, i developed some kind of spider sense and as dutchbike said, i also ride at terminator mode like a cyborg also i dont panic, nerves became like steel long time ago.

So, according to my opinion, one has to adjust the speed depending on their experience, riding skills and where they feel confidence. Never push yourself over yout limit.

Riding at the shoulder where all the debris from the road stay is not a very good idea as if something jumps to road - animal, human, other vehicles - it is more dangerous. I stay at the fast lane.

Riding slow might be more dangerous than going fast with the traffic imo.

When I got my PCX 150 I thought that the safest way to drive was to stay in middle and be in front or keep up with the traffic. But, there was a problem with this strategy; I ran into too many Thai drivers who cannot tollerate you being in from of them in the right lane, even if you are with the flow of traffic. Size may matter here, as I know someone with 6 cly BMW road bike that says he does not have that problem.

What's the speed limit?

Anything over that is dangerous.

I would never ride a bike on country roads at any speed - suicide.

Yes, anything over the speed limit is also illegal. But when I drive through a town I see signs which state "CITY SPEED LIMIT". Having recently attended a lecture at the local Driving Licence Centre I noted that nobody queried .what the speed limit is. I asked the the instructor later (loss of face etc.,) in private to clarify; his response was "A safe speed".

I also notice there is no related signage when leaving a town. Perhaps we should adhere to the "Safe speed" all the time!beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

Safe speed depends on these factors...

Condition of the Vehicle

Current Weather

Condition of the Road

Traffic Density

Driver Training

Use of Drugs and Alcohol (which would make everything else moot)

In my opinion, most Commercial Drivers probably have hangovers or are already under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Lack of Vehicle Maintenance would be another Cause. Driver Training, and severe penalties would help reduce accidents. Rewards should be givenfor "Safe Drivers". That could be done by posting a sign in the Vehicle...that would ask passengers to text in their votes for a safe/unsave trip. At the end of the month, the safest driver with the most votes would get a bonus. (From Company, reimbursed by Transportation Department/similar agency.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I think there is a huge difference between big tourers and small crotch rockets as well as scooters.

Different purposes, designs, and driving styles.

I hate being on a small bike. Get no respect from other vehicles at all. Once I climb on my 1200 GSA, the world is a whole different place. Cruising speeds keeping well ahead of traffic and avoid being passed by any but the most ardent racers, means 130-180 km/h. More than that and I find it's hard to react to nasty things like pickups crossing four lane highways etc.

I like riding with my alert wife as passenger or co-rider on her own big touring bike. 4 eyes are better than 2.

Left lane riding is nuts and dangerous. Slow riding is dangerous, and drunk riding is suicidal. I have a zero alcohol policy when I ride. No exception. And top quality gear (BMW branded gear is very well put together).

Pot holes and chickens are no match for a GSA, by the way.

Save riding to all

PS:

I find in Thailand drivers aren't gunning for you, something I can't say for North American drivers who seem set on running you off the road (same bikes, but obviously tamer riding style in Norh America). Thailand is riding nirvana.

• Like 1

If you are brainless rider, of course you will blast away as fast as you can, thinking you are either an invincible Thai or an invincibly crass foreigner who knows 'how to ride because I have been riding big bikes for years'.

Otherwise, you'll be driving sensibly at a speed which is safe for other road users (and wow, thickshits - that includes walkers on the road too), and at which speed you feel safe.

You utterly brain-dead '190kh/h is what I ride at' tossers deserve what you get.

Derision.

What's the speed limit?

Okay but why are you in bike forum then??

Our life is one big risk, us here on bike forum are willing to take the risks associated with bike riding and the rewards they might give you which in the end of the day is worth it.

Sitting in a rocking chair all day long is just too boring for some of us.

Gosh. Do people know you in real life? You must be one hell of a guy.

Living, with no brain.

On a big open road in Thailand 100kph, on a good A road 80/90, between cars/trucks in a traffic jam, a little over walking pace, everything else "sensibly". Meaning be ready to stop for anything, or be doing less than 15mph when you leave the bike.

Anything more than 110kph on Thai roads, call yourself Charles Bronson, but without the gun and happy ending.

"Here lies the body of William John, who stopped his bike but still went on."

I remember reading a statistic here on TV that 70-80% of road fatalities in Thailand involve motorcycles.

Does anyone know, or is willing to hazard a guess, as to whether the majority of these fatalities involve bikes travelling above or below 100 kmh?

Would a lot not depend on the size of the bike, a 400 or 500cc is going to be much safer riding at say 90 KMs than a 125 or 150cc bike?

Ride Alone.

Stay ahead of the cars behind you and behind the cars ahead of you. Keep as much empty space around you as you can.

Watch your mirrors for minibus, Tuna, Merc, other AH's approaching from behind you.

Ride in the center of the road when possible, giving you equal pavement left and right to use in an emergency.

Speed - whatever conditions will handle. No set pace. Sometimes 60, sometimes 200. Depends.

If you stay away from other road users, the only thing that can go wrong is road conditions or your lack of skill.

Or just plain bad luck.

Remember - EVERYBODY is out to kill you

Your post is nearly perfect -- just about says it all about speed and motorcycles in Thailand. But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand. I wouldn't ever do 200 in my 4 door sedan with a full cage, seatbelts and airbags, why would I go that fast on a motorcycle with none of those protections? I shouldn't, full stop. 120kph is fast enough (too fast for me on a motorcycle) for anyone under any conditions, and happens to be the maximum legal speed limit on any road in Thailand. A short burst for a few hundred meters at 160 - 200 on an open highway with no traffic and good visibility (and a bike with no issues; have a blow out at 200 kph and see what happens) to feel the "rush" is probably ok for some, but to travel at those speeds for any distance is IMHO simply wrong (aka stupid). And (again IMO) anyone that thinks that full gear can offset or compensate and make riding at those speeds "safe" is "livin' la vida loca". Best wishes for safe travel in the New Year to all.

• Like 1

If you have to ask the OP question, you shouldn't be driving at all.

You drive according to the road conditions, the law and your ability, not the speedometer.

Oh and PS - the law in Thailand is frequently an ass!

Your first sentence is wrong, the OP has started an excellent thread here which should be a great help to any motorcyclist, whether he does road trips or just potters around the town or village.

The rest of your post, yes, I agree.

What's the speed limit?

Drama queen... it might be 'suicide' in your mind yet others do it daily like brushing teeth.

One reason why motorbike fatalities are so high in Thailand.

But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand.

200 plus was not in Thailand, it was in Malaysia enroute Singapore. Ever rode there ?

Road like a snooker table, no ruts, no potholes, no gravel, no sand, and ... No tolls.

If needs be, I would ride along at higher speeds, 180+ kmh or so and I would be the first to admit that this is not always the safest thing to do. My personal preference when on touring rides (and conditions permitting) is around 130-140 kmh (slower through moobans and towns, twisties, higher through sweeping curves).

However, I feel that it's a lot more dangerous to be pottering on the hard shoulder or side of the road at lower speeds with cars overtaking and the side of the road being much "dirtier" (gravel, sand etc).

Wonder what other riders think?

I just got back from a two month, 10,000km through North Thailand and Laos on my PCX, in truth you tend to ride at the speed the road and conditions allow. I never once set a speed, just varied it with the road and traffic conditions.

For example, Pattaya to Nong Khai, 685km, i rode for 10 hours 15 minutes, because good conditions. But in Laos, Oudon Xai to Phongsali 245km took 9 hours 45 minutes.

I would NEVER ride on the hard shoulder, that is an accident waiting to happen! Sand, gravel, parked vehicles, traffic coming the wrong way!

It simply really - it all depends on the experience and skill of the rider

Who cares what speed other riders travel at anyway - if you can handle your bike at 180 ks and the road can handle that

speed then fine

if you have little experience then go at 80ks and if the roads are pothole bad then slow down

Different strokes for different folks I say

Whatever speed it doesn't matter unless you are in Australia haha

• Like 1

What's the speed limit?

Drama queen... it might be 'suicide' in your mind yet others do it daily like brushing teeth.

One reason why motorbike fatalities are so high in Thailand.
So it your opinion also that a motorcycle should NEVER be ridden on a country roads AT ANY SPEED? Unbelievable as these are the roads of choice for most riders... Are you seriously suggesting highways and urban roads are safer? That anyone riding on a country road has a death wish, rather than just choosing it to enjoy its scenery and laid-back nature? Motorbike fatalities are high in Thailand because 90+ percent of the population use them daily and 90 percent of those do not use even minimal safety gear...
  • Like 1

But the "200" is IMO just wrong for anyone, anywhere, anytime in Thailand.

200 plus was not in Thailand, it was in Malaysia enroute Singapore. Ever rode there ?

Road like a snooker table, no ruts, no potholes, no gravel, no sand, and ... No tolls.

The OP titled this thread "Riding Safe in Thailand", which is (I hope) what most/all responses are meant to relate to, and how I took your's. If I was talking about riding on the Autobahn in Germany, my response and my view on the maximum safe speed would likely be different than the 120 kph I gave here. I once (many years ago) rode my BSA 650 Lightening 210 kph for a short distance on a 5 mile stretch of perfectly straight, flat empty concrete road in Illinois leading to nowhere. Would I do that anywhere in Thailand -- not a chance! And, if there is a "road like a snooker table, no ruts, no potholes, no gravel, no sand" anywhere in Thailand I haven't seen it. So, perhaps you agree with me that riding any faster than "about" 120 kph in Thailand is nuts...