Man of the year: General Prayut Chan-o-cha

webfact

"Man of the Year" is assigned to a person that has had the most, and most significant impact, on Thailand and Thai society - a point I clearly explained in the post preceding yours.

Do you deny that Prayuth has had the most significant impact on Thailand and Thai society over the past year?

Yes a Negative one

Another one who quickly forgets the debacle that existed prior to the coup.

Indeed. Selective short-term memory.

Actually this story is similar to the Stickboy article on Thai Airways promoting Soi Cowboy and getting laid in a bid to boost passenger numbers.

It is bs, posters are carrying like the General has been awarded a big award for being "Man of the Year" when in fact those words were only mentioned once, in the heading of the story. It is just the opinion of someone at the Nation.

Who cares what the Nation thinks anyway, it is a dismal poor excuse for a newspaper.

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Adolf Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938 and look where he ended up.

I noticed dear leader didn't even get nominated for Man of the Year 2014 so is this just another "Gift" for the people and self acolades

Godwins Law!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

I agree the closing of the airport was a heinous act causing billions in damage to the Thai people but the forces and laws are in place to prevent such acts and only have to be implemented. But thanks Daffy I'd almost forgotten.

Edited by thailiketoo

It's funny how these debates go with the haters.

First, they always clamor that "it's all about the Thai people and what they think"

Then, when someone chimes in with opinions solicited directly from those very Thai people - then the tune changes to "it's not about those couple of people you talked to".

Then, when polls are listed, it becomes "you can't trust the polls", etc...

Yet, their own arguments are invariably "well, the people I spoke to told me..." and "my own cherry picked polls support my opinion".

Funny, that.

I agree the argument changes to the Posters viewpoint!

The other Posts that crop up quite regular is: "well it happens all over the world" as if that explains why the murder or offence has been explained by this useless comment!

• Like 1

Oh, my head!

Just coming to after a serious booze-up and wanting my mammy. I recall a conversation with a student who was absolutely disgusted with the General and his measures, assured me that most Thai youngsters felt the same and that my views were exactly correct.

I am told this morning his uncle is a monk by the name of Suthep, so those of you that hate me might want to to stock up on rotten fruit to pelt me with in case I become a news story myself...

Happy New Year to friend and foe, by the way.

• Like 1

Oh, my head!

Just coming to after a serious booze-up and wanting my mammy. I recall a conversation with a student who was absolutely disgusted with the General and his measures, assured me that most Thai youngsters felt the same and that my views were exactly correct.

I am told this morning his uncle is a monk by the name of Suthep, so those of you that hate me might want to to stock up on rotten fruit to pelt me with in case I become a news story myself...

We are talking about a lot of fruit now babs ! And it is only a matter of time before you become "newsworthy". biggrin.png

Happy New Year to you as well and I hope you find your mammy.....................................

• Like 1

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Again this is a very shallow logical approach. “Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup [..] insane logic but very very Thai”.

Who or what is Thailand and who or what awarded the title! Can you say that the voters in Thailand have handed it to the General or an interest group that tries to peddle their own political agenda?

Inasmuch as you have handed the insane logic title to all Thai people the General got his award from a minority. Now consider how much value such titles hold coming from minorities.

Sorry to bust your bubble but Thailand gets what it deserves and the people ultimately have the fate of their nation in their own hands. Even coups cannot prevail if the people stand against it.

Its the Thai people that ultimately are responsible for their own nation, no one else.

........................"Even coups cannot prevail if the people stand against it."........................

I agree, as was demonstrated by the people rising up against the previous government. Even they did not prevail. And they were democratically elected. By the people. In free and fair elections.

What chance has a military junta got ? If people stand against it. In their thousands.

I think the majority of the people in Thailand who are against the coup are TVF posters. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Again this is a very shallow logical approach. “Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup [..] insane logic but very very Thai”.

Who or what is Thailand and who or what awarded the title! Can you say that the voters in Thailand have handed it to the General or an interest group that tries to peddle their own political agenda?

Inasmuch as you have handed the insane logic title to all Thai people the General got his award from a minority. Now consider how much value such titles hold coming from minorities.

Sorry to bust your bubble but Thailand gets what it deserves and the people ultimately have the fate of their nation in their own hands. Even coups cannot prevail if the people stand against it.

Its the Thai people that ultimately are responsible for their own nation, no one else.

........................"Even coups cannot prevail if the people stand against it."........................

I agree, as was demonstrated by the people rising up against the previous government. Even they did not prevail. And they were democratically elected. By the people. In free and fair elections.

What chance has a military junta got ? If people stand against it. In their thousands.

I think the majority of the people in Thailand who are against the coup are TVF posters. biggrin.png

OK, if the junta is so popular, why don't they organise elections or referendum? smile.png Why do they forbid opponents to voice their opinions?

Edited by candide

Oh, my head!

We are talking about a lot of fruit now babs ! And it is only a matter of time before you become "newsworthy". biggrin.png

Happy New Year to you as well and I hope you find your mammy.....................................

You're going to like this even more: There is a shindig at his (the student's) place tonight and I Am Told I am expected to attend.

I particularly hate tomatos, but don't be selfish and give other people a chance...

• Like 1

See the attitude adjustments are working out well for the junta on here.

Now we have posters stating it's not the thai people against the coup but TVF posters.

Yes we let's see there's us and most of the rest of the world.

When I ask my thai friends they just say we have to tolerate it to the next election.Cant do anything till next election.

If you guys think dragging off students for the three fingered salute or eating a sandwich in public as an act of defiance is right then go right with your junta love in.

For me I'd rather see the people and the press free to express their options instead of living in fear if they do.

Who knows how many unreported acts against the people have actually happened.

But do carry on

• Like 1

Oh, my head!

You're going to like this even more: There is a shindig at his (the student's) place tonight and I Am Told I am expected to attend.

I particularly hate tomatos, but don't be selfish and give other people a chance...

Have fun and try to behave. Hope you don't look like a tomato puree by the end of the night. biggrin.png

I was going to suggest you take "the parrot" along for a laugh but apparently he has been interned in a gulag somewhere (in his mind perhaps) clap2.gif

• Like 1

History tells of many people who, through various means, have achieved public notice. The goodness of these people can easily be measured by their conduct and the injuries they have inflicted on others.

This reader possesses neither academic nor divine powers for determining anyone's goodness.

You just gotta love the junta supporters.

A source of amusement indeed.

Trying to justify people living in fear of freedom of expression because of the ramifications if they chose to disobey the junta.

You've got nothing but schoolyard insults and it's quite disgraceful .

Get off your high horse parrot, nothing we say on this forum is going to have any effect on the political situation in Thailand today, or in the future.

Maybe I don't float in the same puddle as you, but I can't see things being too different to what they were about a year ago, except that people are not being killed on the streets by the redshirts, and that's gotta be a good thing.

And I would not waste a good schoolyard insult on you, I save them for the more "sophisticated" and aggressive posters. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I agree the closing of the airport was a heinous act causing billions in damage to the Thai people but the forces and laws are in place to prevent such acts and only have to be implemented. But thanks Daffy I'd almost forgotten.

Maybe you'd also forgotten they were chased into the bloody airport by the red mob. And no, I am not a fan of Taksin (laugh.png ) only the truth, which appears to be given scant attention here w00t.gif

• Like 1

You do realize that not all the polls you read are 100% genuine?.

The rice farmers don't need a poll to tell them they were screwed by the Shins and were finally paid by the junta, the bent cops etc who are being taken down for corruption charges don't need a poll to tell them they are cooked, and the redshirts don't need a poll to tell them that now their paymasters are out of the picture they are not given free rein to murder innocent people on the streets.

But I do agree with what you say about polls and their authenticity. thumbsup.gif

Trouble is many of us haven't yet been paid by the Junta,promised for April though,we live in hope.

You do realize that not all the polls you read are 100% genuine?.

The rice farmers don't need a poll to tell them they were screwed by the Shins and were finally paid by the junta, the bent cops etc who are being taken down for corruption charges don't need a poll to tell them they are cooked, and the redshirts don't need a poll to tell them that now their paymasters are out of the picture they are not given free rein to murder innocent people on the streets.

But I do agree with what you say about polls and their authenticity. thumbsup.gif

Trouble is many of us haven't yet been paid by the Junta,promised for April though,we live in hope.

My mistake, I should have said "and are finally being paid by the junta".

I sat down with my wife's sister and her husband when I last went to Surin in November and discussed this rice farming business. They won't stop doing it because it is all they know and they are too scared to try something new. But we did agree to invest money (mine) in pigs and have a go at making an income out of that. I will finance the initial start-up and the sister-in-law and her husband will look after the pigs.

Hopefully they will generate enough income out of it to be not so reliant on the rice crop.

Will start a topic in the "Farming in Thailand Forum" once we get things going.

• Like 1

Provocative misuse of punctuation by the Nation. Deliberate, or not?

There's a world of difference between the use of a colon : (used by the Nation) and a question mark, ? which should have been used.

The colon implies definitive fact. The question mark should imply an opinion.

Shameful headline writing, and shoddy editing.

MAN OF THE YEAR: PRAYUT CHAN-O-CHA

MAN OF THE YEAR? PRAYUT CHAN-O-CHA

Actually this story is similar to the Stickboy article on Thai Airways promoting Soi Cowboy and getting laid in a bid to boost passenger numbers.

It is bs, posters are carrying like the General has been awarded a big award for being "Man of the Year" when in fact those words were only mentioned once, in the heading of the story. It is just the opinion of someone at the Nation.

Exactly - and as I already pointed out, in the context of "person who has had the most and most significant impact on Thailand", the title would be correct -- regardless of how much some posters hate Prayuth for purely personal reasons.

Exactly - and as I already pointed out, in the context of "person who has had the most and most significant impact on Thailand", the title would be correct -- regardless of how much some posters hate Prayuth for purely personal reasons.

You are wrong.Most critics do not hate Prayuth personally.He is a typical Thai senior military officer albeit of limited intelligence and uncertain temperament but no doubt attempting to do his best by his own lights.The concern is much more focused on the terrible damage his government is doing to the country - economically, socially, politically.

The New York Times sets out the position well in a balanced article, making the point that Thailand's disastrous coup culture is entirely self afflicted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/opinion/thailand-and-the-coup-trap.html?_r=1

• Like 2