Cambodian chokes on fried chicken and later dies in Jomtien

webfact

Cambodian chokes on fried chicken and later dies in Jomtien

chicken-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 27 year old Cambodian choked and later died after eating fried chicken pieces he purchased from the roadside in Jomtien on Tuesday Morning.

The man, known as Mr. Oud, who works at a nearby construction site, was walking along Soi Chayaupreuk 1, with a friend, and they were eating fried chicken pieces which had been purchased from a roadside food vendor. Both men were reportedly drunk according to Motorbike Taxi Drivers stationed outside of the Lalana Garden Village Housing Estate.

The Cambodian men asked to be taken to Jomtien Beach but as the victim jumped onto the back of a motorbike taxi he fell to the ground and began to choke and then started to convulse.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/162281/cambodian-chokes-on-fried-chicken-and-later-dies-in-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-31

The article is not precise enough to say how and why this poor guy ended up leaving this world, may his soul rest in peace, but the word 'choke' makes me wish to tell something very important :

A few years ago I was on holiday with 3 friends and we were having a delightful lunch, when suddenly one of my friends started choking on a piece of meat which had obviously 'gone down the wrong tube'. She got up and tried to cough it out but to no avail, she became very red in the face and her eyes were screaming in panic.

It was a dreadful moment and we all knew that something terrible was happening. I personnally had no idea what to do or even if anything could be done. Miraculously though, one of us did. She went behind our choking friend, put her arms firmly around her stomach and gave a very strong pull. The effect was immediate : it pushes on the diaphragm which in turn rushes a large chunk of air out of the lungs in one strong go, the result being that our choking friend spit the piece of meat several meters away.

Her life was saved.

I never miss an opportunity to tell this story in detail, in the hope that one day, this precious information will again save somebody's life. I also have to wonder why it was not taught in class when I was at school. If you don't know what to do, you can end up watching in horror while someone is dying ... and asphyxiation is a matter of minutes.

Please pass it along, please ! And for those who have kids, teach them the trick and ask at their school if they provide a basic training for this kind of thing. In a couple of hours, they can pass on to the kids a large number of do's and don'ts that can make the difference between life and death. I believe such a course should be given once a year in every class.

It's also called the Heimlich maneuver and can be used on children : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choking

• Like 2

Here is some good things to know about this procedure called The Heimlich maneuver.

A person who is choking cannot talk, cough, or breathe, and may turn gray or blue. The Heimlich maneuver can help get the food or object out.

WARNING: Do not try the Heimlich maneuver unless you are sure the person is choking.

• Stand or kneel behind the person and wrap your arms around his or her waist. If the person is standing, place one of your legs between his or her legs so you can support the person if he or she faints.
  • Make a fist with one hand. Place the thumb side of your fist against the person's belly, just above the belly button but well below the breastbone.
  • Grasp your fist with the other hand. Give a quick upward thrust into the belly. This may cause the object to pop out. You may need to use more force for a large person and less for a child or small adult.
  • Repeat thrusts until the object pops out or the person faints.

Here is the link if you want to read more on it:

http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/choking-rescue-procedure-heimlich-maneuver-adult-or-child-older-than-1-year

Edited by Canuk23
edited for standard font
  • Like 2

If you are by yourself and begin to choke, the recommendation I was given by a nurse is to throw yourself on the ground, landing hard on your abdomen. This should expel enough air to dislodge the item causing the choking. Repeat if necessary. That is if there is no one to help you.

Some years ago, a New Zealander choked to death on a flight from Bangkok to NZ while his girlfriend looked on in horror. Apparently no one knew what to do and they wasted valuable minutes checking if there was a doctor onboard.

Many choking victims reach for a glass of water. This might work but there is a danger of pushing the blockage further down and worsening the situation.

• Like 2

If you are by yourself and begin to choke, the recommendation I was given by a nurse is to throw yourself on the ground, landing hard on your abdomen. This should expel enough air to dislodge the item causing the choking. Repeat if necessary. That is if there is no one to help you.

Some years ago, a New Zealander choked to death on a flight from Bangkok to NZ while his girlfriend looked on in horror. Apparently no one knew what to do and they wasted valuable minutes checking if there was a doctor onboard.

Many choking victims reach for a glass of water. This might work but there is a danger of pushing the blockage further down and worsening the situation.

Yes you are right or you can use the side of a table, grabbing the table with both hands and pulling it very hard

against your belly.

• Like 2

Not to forget to pay the doktor a visit after you have had heimlich since it is easy to tear open a spleen (correct term?) Which can cause internal bleeding and in worst case can end fatal too.

Yes absolutely but you will give him a second chance, Just remember not to do it too hard better to do it multiple times than to tear open the spleen.

• Like 1

As an aside to this situation, I have found that most chicken pieces sold at the roadside has been "chopped" up and may (almost certainly) contain pieces of bone, some pieces very small. These can cause the food to be caught in the throat and cause choking. Just in passing.

Two minutes of my day, and I only have to remember 'belly button/breastbone/thrust' - this should be taught from school age onwards all over the world. We were all forced to do lifesaving training at my school (admittedly only in a pool but it was better than nothing), but I dont recall being taught Heimlich.

Not to forget to pay the doktor a visit after you have had heimlich since it is easy to tear open a spleen (correct term?) Which can cause internal bleeding and in worst case can end fatal too.

Same if you give CPR, chances are you could crack a few ribs, but if the casualty lives they will heal soon, if not no harm done.

Basically better alive with a few cracked ribs, than dead because no tried hard enough to save them.