Touring Chiang Rai and surrounds

Tpapa

My fairly fit 50-something sister-in-law and her sister are visiting Thailand and want to do some walking in the mountains, see elephants and wildlife and visit traditional Thai villages. They are not into tourist hotspots and after taking the train from BKK to Chiang Mai plan to travel on to Chiang Rai or somewhere similar for 5-6 days. They will be here mid February, do not want to drive themselves or do really basic accommodation. Any suggestions for an itinerary or all-inclusive/day tours would be most welcome.

Find a nice hotel in your price range on any of the booking sites and they will all have tours available of every type and variety. Chiang Rai has elephants, rivers, waterfalls and mountain but pretty much anyplace worth seeing has already been discovered by tourists. They are still worth seeing, however.

I am wondering if you really want to see “Thai” villages or “hill tribe” villages? There is a big difference. You might take a look at the Chiang Rai sub-forum here on TV for some ideas and photos of what is available here in Chiang Rai.
Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Let's move this over to the travel forum for now. Then after a bit we can move it over to the Chiang Mai forum or CR forum. The poster above I know can provide you with a wealth of info on CR. He's got a great blog to check out also.

Topic Moved.

• Like 2

I'd recommend they get a travel guide. These books will list many places for them to check out and they can pick and choose what they like. Worth the investment, IMHO.

One thing they might consider is a private car and driver for a bit. Transport to some of the more report areas can be difficult. They'll end up spending lots of time at bus stations waiting for the next bus, etc. With a private car, they can go at their own pace, stop when they want, take a pic, whatever. Even renting a car is super easy up there. The roads are pretty good and many have little traffic. It's a great way to go when touring more remote areas. Just a thought....

• Like 2

Touristy spots are popular because they are of interest to many. It's kinda like visiting Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. Or Beijing and not going to see the Great Wall. Etc. These 2 places are massively touristy, but fantastic to visit.

Now there are a few places here that are suspect. The "floating market" in Pattaya. Even the big one outside Bangkok is just too touristy now. IMHO.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

In case there might be interest-

I was an Airbnb host in Japan for a few years, and am just setting up a place here now. Should definitely be up and running by February.

I could introduce the ladies to a nice tour guide and they can plan exactly what they want.

Bicycle rentals also available near my place, and the compound I live in has a swimming pool.

I am ten minutes by car from the downtown bus station.

Charlie

They should travel a bit further east to Nan province. There is a village called Boklua which is not to be missed. There are three hill tribe groups in the area - the Htin, the Marbri and the Leua [not sure about that spelling]. The mountain scenery is glorious - very rugged and lush green and be sure to drive carefully on them. The road is sealed all the way. Hill tribe villages can be seen on the way up from the city of Nan if you go via Pua and you can stop at their roadside stalls if you wish. There is a lovely little resort in Boklua run by a Htin family and the owner speaks very good English. He cooks superbly too having been trained in a top Bangkok hotel.

I think Thaivisa rules prevent me from telling you the name of the resort but a google search will quickly find it.

In the mountains after Pua one can see an almost extinct tree - the Chompoo Phukha tree [look for the signs]. When you get to the tree be sure to blow the horn of the car to pay respects to the spirits who reside there. All the locals do so and you will gain face if you do too. There are countless walks, national parks, waterfalls etc to be seen and the area is quite undeveloped however an ATM has not long been installed in the village.

The owner was very helpful when I visited two times and acted as a tour guide for us. He takes a delight in telling tourists all about his village.

• Like 2

I suggest a day trip to Doi Mae Salong - lots of beautiful mountain scenery, cool weather, great Chinese food, spend some time tasting (free) good Chinese tea in the tea shops (can buy some tea to take home), very interesting hilltribe markets selling exotic fruits and veg as well as hand-made jewellery, etc. It's a great day out for tourists - and usually not very busy except sometimes on weekends

• Like 1

Fang is a worth a stop to visit Doi Ankhang and the Royal ag station at the top. Though the steepest road in Thailand needs negotiating. There's a pretty comfy hotel in the centre of town run by the Lahu. They can organise authentic villiage visits.

Edited by Shasta55
  • Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. I have forwarded your responses to my sister-in-law and I am sure she will have enough information to choose from. I will post here again after her visit. Thanks again.

Hi Tpapa, we live in Wiangpapao just between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and my partner Suni is official tourguide and speaks very good English. The area beside this town is very beautiful but unknown by tourists. Usualy all the tourings pass this town, only breaking at the Maekachan hotsprings. Suni developped some hikings in hilltribe area's and she has build up very good connections with councils as well as the village chiefs. Two of the hilltribe villages we have connections with, are protecting their envitronment against all kinds of disturbing and one of them is awarded by Unesco. Nearby Wiangpapao we found a beautiful walk through forest as well as agriculture area. Because the direct surrounding is quite flat some cycling routes and bicycles are available. We have a 2 person bungalow available and I can drive your family around with my car. Pick up from Chiang Mai is possible. For more information look at facebook page Wiangpapao private tour and suniguide.weebly.com. Suni's phonenumber = 0807928725

Edited by Joop50

Last time I was there I was put in touch with a Lady called Nuch. She offers a full sightseeing personal package....Her English is perfect, supplies the car and knows the area like the back of her hand...here's her number 086364802

• Like 1