Burnt Pizza

smokie36

Well I ate at a Bangkok pizza restaurant recently and was served my pizza before the appetizers arrived.

Semt it back and when it arrived again discovered the base was mostly black and the pizza had a bitter and burnt flavour to it.

So the fun begins as I call the restaurant manager over who informs me that my Napolitan pizza is supposed to be burnt (her exact words) and that she would happily replace it but that one would be equally burnt (her words again).

Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a very nice restaurant...with prices to match what do the sages of ThaiVisa think?

Oh BTW the second pizza when it arrived was delicious.

• Like 1

It's all so weird, and I agree with you:

-Funny to be served a burnt pizza... anywhere

-Funny for the manager to say that's the proper preparation

-Funny that the next one came out perfect... after the manager said it wouldn't/couldn't

The whole affair reeks of quirkiness (and burnt pizza)!

What I'd do: chalk it up and move on... krap.

Edited by Michaelaway

It is correct that a Neapolitan pizza really is supposed to have some "char" on the side crust and bottom. But too much "char" is burnt. I'd have to see a picture to judge myself. I've had the exact same experience of getting a definitely burnt pizza and complaining and in my case only Thai staff, and they just laughed at me. On the other hand, I am not happy if there is not SOME char but I've never complained about no char, just generally judge the place as poor and don't go back.

To me this one is burnt:

post-37101-0-46303900-1420103476_thumb.j

The oven makes a difference.

In any case pizzas are cooked at high temperatures and cook quickly ... so it can be fine line between perfect and mistake.

Edited by Jingthing

Neapolitan and Margherita, when baked in a wood-fired brick floor oven, will have dark brown almost black spotting on the bottom but shouldn't taste charred.

The first example below is nicely colored, while the second image is borderline. The third image, is just too much charcoal. I want to enjoy eating my pizza, not give it a viking send-off.

pizzasplashed090720_560.jpg20100909-pizzology-neapolitan-pizza-prim

22%3A6%3A2009%20Neapolitans%20Style%20Pi

• Like 2

It is correct that a Neapolitan pizza really is supposed to have some "char" on the side crust and bottom. But too much "char" is burnt. I'd have to see a picture to judge myself. I've had the exact same experience of getting a definitely burnt pizza and complaining and in my case only Thai staff, and they just laughed at me. On the other hand, I am not happy if there is not SOME char but I've never complained about no char, just generally judge the place as poor and don't go back.

To me this one is burnt:

attachicon.gif20110130_bar_new_haven_upskirt.jpg

The oven makes a difference.

In any case pizzas are cooked at high temperatures and cook quickly ... so it can be fine line between perfect and mistake.

It wasn't quite as bad as that.....but definitely the burnt bits were affecting the flavour.

Yep, there is a fairly wide range of what is acceptable and what is definitely a mistake.

A good restaurant won't even try send out their mistakes.

Maybe in a perfect (non-third) world...

Getting laughed at for a legit complaint was also other-worldly. It's like they took a course -- how to lose a customer for life in 2 seconds.

Yep, there is a fairly wide range of what is acceptable and what is definitely a mistake.

A good restaurant won't even try send out their mistakes.

Maybe in a perfect (non-third) world...

Getting laughed at for a legit complaint was also other-worldly. It's like they took a course -- how to lose a customer for life in 2 seconds.

This place is not catering to the third world crowd.....think more like booking a table weeks ahead.

Anyway, I guess it is probably true that some customers complain about char on a pizza when it's supposed to be there. But a ritzy restaurant should cut the attitude and give the customer what they want even if they don't agree with their taste. Wish we could see a picture, but alas, not.

The top looks OK to me. But I can see from that one black section that the bottom probably is overdone in at least one part.

BTW, the one time I mentioned when I got one that was close to the picture I posted and they wouldn't do it, I ate it anyway (actually scraped it like burnt toast). Not smart. Made me feel ill. Needless to say. Never been back. It was a famous pizza place in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

To be fair classic Naples style is thin on the toppings. Less is more. You get less. You pay more.

This reminds me of an eccentric brilliant Russian guy I used to work with. He was horrified at the very idea of drinking coffee because ...

The beans are burnt! w00t.gif

• Like 1

This place is not catering to the third world crowd.....think more like booking a table weeks ahead.

Are you talking about the one relatively newish Sukhumvit 30s pizza place that does actually require making a reservation about a week in advance in order to get a table???

Try Pala Pizza instead. A whole lot less hassle and drama.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the one relatively newish Sukhumvit 30s pizza place that does actually require making a reservation about a week in advance in order to get a table???

Try Pala Pizza instead. A whole lot less hassle and drama.

Drama is right....food is good though.

Napolitan pizza is made at 400-450 degree Celcius, a bit burned can't be avoided. Some like it more some less, like the steak (well done, medium) or the spicy food.

I like it more burned.

Definitely it should be written in the menu....Original Napolitian pizza is a bit black on some parts, if you don't like it, buy an American pizza....