Israel ex-minister: Settlement funding is corrupt

Lite Beer

Israel ex-minister: Settlement funding is corrupt

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's former finance minister on Thursday said the government's rush to allot tens of millions of dollars to West Bank settlements last month amounted to corruption, as he sought to link the secretive spending spree to a growing wave of scandals ahead of March elections.

With the accusations, former Finance Minister Yair Lapid took subtle aim at the powerful West Bank settler movement, whose allies in parliament appear to be poised for a strong showing in the vote.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fired Lapid last month for what Netanyahu said was disloyalty. The move led to the collapse of the coalition government and the call for early elections.

Lapid said that before his dismissal, he was called to a meeting with Netanyahu and other ministers and told they wanted to transfer 300 million shekels ($76 million) to West Bank settlements. Lapid said he tried to block the funds, but once he was fired, the money was quickly pushed through before parliament was dissolved.

Lapid called the funds "money that goes directly to those who vote for them in the primaries."

"They gave me the impression that if I didn't transfer the money then the government could collapse. I refused, because that's corruption," Lapid said.

Last month, Israeli police said they were investigating dozens of public figures and politicians linked to the Yisrael Beitenu party who are suspected of nepotism and illegally transferring funds to supporters.

Lapid's remarks came after the Palestinians announced they were joining the International Criminal Court, where they could challenge Israeli settlement building. The Palestinians and most of the international community consider settlement construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, captured lands claimed by the Palestinians, to be illegal or illegitimate.

Netanyahu's office said Thursday that Israel was a "lawful state with a moral army that observes all international laws," whereas the Palestinian Authority was "allied with a terror organization, Hamas, that commits was crimes."

The Western-backed Palestinian Authority and Hamas agreed to form a unity government last year but the deal has yet to be implemented.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-02

• Like 1

I was unaware that Israel was directly funding settlements/settlers. Settlements, when funded by a government in contested, disputed, or armistice areas amount to "transfers;" a violation of International Law [GC]. This crap kinda concerns me. As a loud advocate of Israeli positions generally, I find this, if true, disturbing.

I personally think the West Bank belongs to Israel totally and was taken by Jordanian forces in 1948. Retaken by Israel in 1967, and now full of local arabs/palestinians who were largely "transferred" in, Israel offers the position that the West Bank is subject to final status talks.

Israel offers to the international community the State position that the West Bank is disputed. Since this is the Israeli position that does make "transfers" of settlers into the West Bank a crime under international law and treaty.

Settlement funding would actually be illegal.

So we see yet again a disregard for the law by these despotic Zionists.

Now how might this affect the opinion of other states and possibly the U.N. too?

• Like 1

I seems to be at a loss why some members here babbling about 'transfer', what transfer,

who got transferred?when why? no Arab Palestinians got transferred since 1948,

save but few individuals for a security reasons,

There is a general election going on in Israel right now, and all the many parties are jockeying

for positions and will say anything to have the edge and to muddy and tarnish his.\/her opponents,

Anyone who didn't know the government of Israel was funding new and old settlements

for many years now, knows nothing about the middle east...

• Like 1

It's all just politicking by Lapid, who mistakenly thinks he can gain popularity by aligning himself with the current US administration position on settlements. Netanyahu, who has in my opinion judged the mood of the nation correctly, which is to send a large raspberry to outside meddlers and continue settlement building unabated. Such unilateral moves are indeed a logical response to the current unilateral stance adopted by the Palestinian authority.

There are many documentaries about this disgusting subject. "Occupation 101" is available on youtube.

The best film I've seen was The Promise, directed by the Brit Peter Kosminsky. The 4-part TV series describes the final years of British Mandate over Palestine, how British soldiers and Palestinians suffered under Jewish terrorist attacks, and how a young English girl experiences modern day evil.

Yeah, totally "disgusting" of the Jewish people to want their own state in their ancestral homeland after thousand of years of being persecuted and subject to genocide in the diaspora. Cheeky monkeys!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

The best film I've seen was The Promise, directed by the Brit Peter Kosminsky.

Sounds like false propaganda. The Arabs started the terrorist attacks in the first place and both sides attacked the British who stabbed the Arabs AND the Jews in the back and routinely lied to both. Your "documentary" is completely one sided at best. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I seems to be at a loss why some members here babbling about 'transfer', what transfer,

There is a general election going on in Israel right now, and all the many parties are jockeying

for positions and will say anything to have the edge and to muddy and tarnish his.\/her opponents,

Anyone who didn't know the government of Israel was funding new and old settlements

I have not noted one other member using the term "transfer" other than me. Insofar as you recall it incorrectly, I will repeat: transfers of populations are illegal under international law. As long as israel did so under guise or premise they had a legal argument, however transparent. When any government actively funds the removal or installation of favorable populations it is called "transfers" not settlements.

I am an advocate of Israel quite firmly. I reject Israeli policy to fund settlements as "transfers" as I assert this exposes them to International Law where adjudication could be questionable. I believe Israel has a right to move settlers into the West Bank because I believe the West Bank was always Israeli, and is itself a product of Arab population "transfers."

While not an academic I am likely quite qualified to comment (generally) on the middle east. There are still personal realizations, ephiphanies, etc. Since you took the time to comment on it perhaps you will not be at a loss why [some] use the word. You bring context that a mudslinging election is underway but for a while now some members have been provoking me to look outside my support of Isreal worldview; I have.

• Like 1

Got to love the usual troll and co bouncing on this like a bunch of hungry parasites, as if populace policies , dirt digging and vote buying in one way or another is reserved to one country and not a normal practice world wide.

As if their beloved Arabs are squicky clean and totally democratic.

Exactly. Jews have human problems like everyone else, but to Israel demonizers, if it happens in Israel, it's proof that nation is specifically illegitimate.

• Like 1

There are many documentaries about this disgusting subject. "Occupation 101" is available on youtube.

The best film I've seen was The Promise, directed by the Brit Peter Kosminsky. The 4-part TV series describes the final years of British Mandate over Palestine, how British soldiers and Palestinians suffered under Jewish terrorist attacks, and how a young English girl experiences modern day evil.

Yeah, totally "disgusting" of the Jewish people to want their own state in their ancestral homeland after thousand of years of being persecuted and subject to genocide in the diaspora. Cheeky monkeys!

I regret my point regarding settlements went astray; but I suppose it was bound to. "Transfers" are, or are not, State sponsoered population movement if the land is disputed. In my opinion, how Israel asserts its right to the West Bank renders their State sponsor of population movement legal or not. I am apparently more right leaning than the current government: I believe Israel is not subject to legal prosecution in ICC or other for "transfer/" Settlements becuase the West Bank is Israel and always was Israel. By leaving West Bank openly declared disputed and bound to final status negotiations they render themselves exposed to the issue regarding their "settlements" as a violation of law.

• Like 1

I have not noted one other member using the term "transfer" other than me.

I don't see it as being much different from eminent domain, which is the power of a state or a national government to take private property for public use. Why should these areas not be utilized for the common good, if the Palestinians refuse to make a peace deal?

• Like 1

Got to love the usual troll and co bouncing on this like a bunch of hungry parasites, as if populace policies , dirt digging and vote buying in one way or another is reserved to one country and not a normal practice world wide.

Exactly. Jews have human problems like everyone else, but to Israel demonizers, if it happens in Israel, it's proof that nation is specifically illegitimate.
Difference is Jing, in Israel this can be said out loud and former minister would continue with his normal life , should this have been said in any Arab country , he would already be arrested and either jailed for 500 years or stoned to death, along with his family and friends .
Thats the best you got? "We are bad but the others are much worse" Pathetic excuse

Difference is Jing, in Israel this can be said out loud and former minister would continue with his normal life , should this have been said in any Arab country , he would already be arrested and either jailed for 500 years or stoned to death, along with his family and friends .
Thats the best you got? "We are bad but the others are much worse" Pathetic excuse

Was not giving any excuses, but your post just another proof of your inability to understand basics, and that is truly pathetic.thumbsup.gif

Why should Israel be held to a stricter standard of moral perfection than other countries?

Because to Troll & Co, any bad news about Israel is a good news,

Funny enough, those same ones using gadgets invented in Israel without even realizing it w00t.gif

And this is the country that claims they want peace, yet pour millions of dollars into expanding the illegal settlements in disputed lands.

To be fair, it isn't 'disputed' as far as Israel's opponents are concerned is it.

What I mean is, if it was truly classed as disputed by both sides, then 'nobody' would be building at all.

As it happens, both sides rush to build on that land so both sides clearly believe that it is theirs without dispute.

The best film I've seen was The Promise, directed by the Brit Peter Kosminsky. The 4-part TV series describes the final years of British Mandate over

Palestine, how British soldiers and Palestinians suffered under Jewish terrorist attacks, and how a young English girl experiences modern day evil.

It was a great drama, and very well made. I own it on DVD myself.

However, it is also very dangerous if viewed in isolation, and for the average viewer who may have come to the subject of this conflict fresh through watching that drama, that is how most will have viewed it. It begins events in the mid to late 40s, starting its timeline when Jewish militias were hitting back against British rule for what was essentially a backtrack with the White Paper of 39 that appeased the rioting Arabs of 1936 (of course, none of that is even mentioned....all you get to see are Jews being nasty for.....well for no other reason but being nasty, according to the Promise).

None of the multitude of events in the 20s and 30s which stoked the fires, fears and led these kinds of response, are even covered. None of the murderous riots against Jews by Arabs in the 20s are known to the viewer, nor is the Arab Revolt of 36 known to the viewer. It is a drama that yes covers an important and little known chapter of this story, but wow did it over do things by portraying the Jews of the 40s largely as shadowy killers. Making a drama that would be fair and balanced in its portrayal of the many ingredients which led to today's situation is a tall order, but arguably the film maker is biased himself when you look into the sort of activites he gets up to outside of filmaking itself. To sum it up, it was not a neutral drama.

• Like 1

The best film I've seen was The Promise, directed by the Brit Peter Kosminsky.

Sounds like false propaganda. The Arabs started the terrorist attacks in the first place and both sides attacked the British who stabbed the Arabs AND the Jews in the back and routinely lied to both. Your "documentary" is completely one sided at best. rolleyes.gif

Utter BS, the British were in cahoots with the Jews. Just check what Orde Wingate was up to in the 1930s in Palestine! They would have shown the Einzsatgruppen a thing or two I tell you.

What about the 'Natasha' (White) slave trade that is rampant in Israel too!

I despise the Arabs for the moves they play on Jew and Gentile but let's not kiss and Hebrew backsides shall we.

Utter BS, the British were in cahoots with the Jews. Just check what Orde Wingate was up to in the 1930s in Palestine!

No, the reality is that British simply couldn't make their mind up and tried the impossible, which was promising both sides at different times and assuming this would not gets people's back up. 'Individuals' Brits were in cahoots with both sides at different times and at different levels (politicians back in London or in situ in the Mandate, local commanders, to soldiers themselves). Wingate, for all his success cannot be pointed to as being 'standard' British policy. Eventually he was recognised by the British Government to have too strong a personal interest in what he was doing there, and was sent elsewhere, never to set foot there again in his life. At flash point, some British soldiers were known to have stayed behind and fought with the Jews and some were known to have assisted Arabs in carrying out attacks on Jews. One example is February 22, 1948 on Ben Yehuda street.

• Like 1

The fact there is more than one crime. building "illegal settlements" AND politicians/high ranking Israeli making money from the corrupt activity. Not holding the country to a "higher state" but showing the depths of its International and domestic criminal actions. Not surprised the Israeli apologists wouldn't ever criticise the state for anything!

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1