Deaths, injuries up in first three 'dangerous days' from a year ago

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've driven around a lot in the last few days between the north West and Bangkok. I'd say that driving is "normal' - the main problem is the delays caused by police checkpoints - can anyone please explain what either they think they are doing or are supposed to achieve???????

A mix of profit and protection of course..

Education is the Key! The majority of Government Secondary schools here in Thailand promote their students to Break the Law.

The governors, Thai teachers etc. allow the students to come to school on their motorbikes without wearing helmets,no licenses and allow them into the school grounds, sometimes 3-4 persons on one bike. Surely this is root of the problem, and could be easily addressed. I've always said "Life is very cheap in Thailand".

Thais are terrified of criticizing either themselves or other Thais, this is also part of the problem, and why the roads will become increasingly more dangerous as they fill up with more and more vehicles. All Vietnamese motorcyclists now wear helmets, why not here?

"Most accidents involved motorcycles (85 per cent), and most took place on straight stretches of road (64 per cent). About one-quarter occurred between midnight to 4am." The solution is easy. Put in a curfew between midnight and 4am for motorcycles and do not allow motorcyclist to consume alcohol....cos drunks can't ride straight.

I've got a simpler solution, rebuild straights to curves.

• Like 1

I've driven around a lot in the last few days between the north West and Bangkok. I'd say that driving is "normal' - the main problem is the delays caused by police checkpoints - can anyone please explain what either they think they are doing or are supposed to achieve???????

Siphoning off money from the average Thai person..... Wait at the checkpoint for a while

until a Mercedes comes through. Not stopped, and usually a wai from the policeman....

While at Tuckom recently to deal with our internet connection , the Missus asked if I wanted to look at dash cams since she knew I had an interest in getting one since reading a compelling thread over a year or so ago where a motorbike rider was killed entering a boulevard without even looking at oncoming traffic.

The OP said he felt it was the evidence on his dash cam that saved his butt from becoming the responsible party for the ladies death. I agree with what he said.

A dash cam does not protect our physical safety but at least if the safety features of the car made in Thailand keep us alive, possible the dash cam will keep me out of jail.

I don't drive like I'm in a rush to get anywhere. The Missus knows I don't like speeding.

The thing was around 3300 THB and works great. USB power and we can still charge our phones and whatever.

• Like 2

Increase the fines by 500% and enforce all traffic laws would be a good start. Also make it mandatory that police set an example by wearing their helmets. I would bet if they did these simple things now by next year we would see a 20% decrease.

How true as how many times have you seen police NOT wearing helmets, lead by example. As for the stats of 27,300 charged for not wearing a helmet and 26,100 with no licence. OK they are breaking the law but these are such easy things to catch so why not convert those figures into managing people who jump red lights or bike going at a breakneck speed down the roads. I live on what is called the darkside in Pattaya and the lack of police has been so noticable, where are they all. As for most accidents/deaths between midnight and 4 am apart from maybe the beach area you find a policeman at that time of night, needle in a haystack comes to mind. As for those police boxes on the corner of junctions pull the lot down and put the police visible on the road not have tea of whatever in their boxes. Until you give them a kick up the bottom and make them do their job accidents and deaths will continue

• Like 1

Education is the Key! The majority of Government Secondary schools here in Thailand promote their students to Break the Law.

The governors, Thai teachers etc. allow the students to come to school on their motorbikes without wearing helmets,no licenses and allow them into the school grounds, sometimes 3-4 persons on one bike. Surely this is root of the problem, and could be easily addressed. I've always said "Life is very cheap in Thailand".

Life is cheap in Thailand unless you are a ferang and then involved in even a minor accident with a Thai see how much that will cost you. NOT cheap then

Life is cheap in Thailand unless you are a ferang and then involved in even a minor accident with a Thai see how much that will cost you. NOT cheap then

Ever heard of insurance?

And please don't start with the well known urban myth that the farang always pays.

While at Tuckom recently to deal with our internet connection , the Missus asked if I wanted to look at dash cams since she knew I had an interest in getting one since reading a compelling thread over a year or so ago where a motorbike rider was killed entering a boulevard without even looking at oncoming traffic.

The OP said he felt it was the evidence on his dash cam that saved his butt from becoming the responsible party for the ladies death. I agree with what he said.

A dash cam does not protect our physical safety but at least if the safety features of the car made in Thailand keep us alive, possible the dash cam will keep me out of jail.

I don't drive like I'm in a rush to get anywhere. The Missus knows I don't like speeding.

The thing was around 3300 THB and works great. USB power and we can still charge our phones and whatever.

So you are usingyour phone when you are diving???? I thought that was against the law also, besides speeding.?

Sorry .... no idea. Can speculate: this is how lazy BIB get bribe money easily. Up here in "the boonies" their tactics are dangerous e.g. 2-3 lane highways w/ vehicles going ???? 80 to unlimited speed forced to come to a screeching halt b/c of these blockades. Quite alarming to many safe travelers. Why aren't the "police" out on the roads where much mayhem takes place?

A dead motorist is unable to pay a bribe.

but is much safer than a live one

So you are usingyour phone when you are diving???? I thought that was against the law also, besides speeding.?

Its ok underwater

i don't think his phone would work under water

Ever heard of insurance?

And please don't start with the well known urban myth that the farang always pays.

You're right, we don't and I'm sick of hearing that urban myth too. Case in point:

October, 2012. I was driving a LAO registered Ford Ranger pickup (previous model, not the current one) from Vientiane to Mae Sot. Somewhere a little more than halfway, 50km east of Phitsanulok on the Khao Kor to Phitsanulok road, when my friend was driving, some b**** and her boyfriend from Phitsanulok drove straight into my back. She apparently couldn't brake in time, according to her. In front of us there were a row of cars and a red traffic light and we were on a very minor downhill slope. I was very startled to be hit from behind but after examining the damage, which for us was only a few small scratches and some chipped paint off the bumper and a bent number plate, for them, who were driving a black Honda Civic, the hood was extensively damaged, i.e. lots of wavy bends in it. I stupidly didn't call the insurance because it was a rental car, wrongfully thinking I might have to pay an excess when in fact I probably could have had the insurance pay, but then again thinking about it now, it probably would have had to have been their insurance since being a Lao registered vehicle, we only had 3rd party insurance but as it wasn't our fault, my insurance would still have paid for our claim I can imagine. This is because, as I understand it, IF we were responsible only then would we NOT have a claim against the cost of our repairs?

Anyway, long story short the guy immediately handed me a 1000 Baht note. I begged for around 2500, knowing that's about the ballpark figure for the repairs on my car, which mostly just involved repainting the rear bumper and hammering down the number plate to straighten it out (that of course I could have done myself, but I didn't bring along my hammer, lol)! We exchanged numbers after he said he would pay extra if the repair bill came to a higher amount. I reluctantly let him go knowing that it would almost certainly be more than 1000 and that the chances of me seeing any more money were remote.

After I called him the first time, he was kind of taken aback by the quote of 2200 Baht (I had been to a number of places and 2500 Baht was the highest figure quoted), and besides, had I used insurance any repairs would have taken like 3 days, rather than the half a day it ended up taking, hence I was still able to return the car on time. He also mentioned how his own repair bill was only 2500 Baht. In the end he stopped answering my calls and changed his number. It was very poor form from him and his girlfriend, both of whom work at some Phitsanulok hospital, but it was obviously my mistake to not handle it better with my insurance at the beginning; had I done that, I would have been up by 1000 Baht.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

It's Darwinian. A few more generations and they'll be a Thailand without any Thais. Now there's a thought.

At least you had the decency not to claim it as an original thought, since such stupidity has been bandied about on Thaivisa all too often. coffee1.gif

Diehard, can you READ? The guy bought a DASHCAM, which is as unlike a smartphone (or any other phone) as elephants and cheese.

I'd guess that over half of the posters on this thread are in reality part of the problem....their comments about single issues and simplistic solutions which they appear to take seriously would indicate they know so little about road safety that they are more than likely to be a road hazard themselves.

Sorry .... no idea. Can speculate: this is how lazy BIB get bribe money easily. Up here in "the boonies" their tactics are dangerous e.g. 2-3 lane highways w/ vehicles going ???? 80 to unlimited speed forced to come to a screeching halt b/c of these blockades. Quite alarming to many safe travelers. Why aren't the "police" out on the roads where much mayhem takes place?

yes they will run down a speeding Merc on their trusty waves.

Most casualties are drunken male motorcyclists aiming for a Darwin Award. Removing themselves from the gene pool is their service to humanity. As a result, the gender balance is tilted more towards young single women - one of Thailand's unique selling points.

I wonder if they have a dash cam that will pan 90 degrees to video the cops asking for bribes for imaginary offenses?

Are pedestrians killed on the roads and people killed on private land, ie.private roads, car parks, driveways included in these figures?

the reason for this question is that the official USA road toll figures do not, I have been told also that if a person does not die within 24 hours of a motor vehicle accident then they are not counted in the official USA road death toll (cant confirm this due to a lack of care value), as it is the USA averages double the number of deaths per capita as Australia ( who don't discount the above from their figures) and if Thailand is counting all of the deaths then maybe the figures are a lot closer then first appears.

He said dash camera.

It starts with the ignition. It mounts (of all places) on the dash. It records what happened such as your speed, the date & time of day and GPS location, as well as what the other motorist did or did not do.

It seems like a great idea, and a pretty cheap way to prove what happened should you get in an accident.

He said dash camera.

It starts with the ignition. It mounts (of all places) on the dash. It records what happened such as your speed, the date & time of day and GPS location, as well as what the other motorist did or did not do.

It seems like a great idea, and a pretty cheap way to prove what happened should you get in an accident.

and if you capture some good footage you might make some quick cash off a viral youtube vid

Most casualties are drunken male motorcyclists aiming for a Darwin Award. Removing themselves from the gene pool is their service to humanity. As a result, the gender balance is tilted more towards young single women - one of Thailand's unique selling points.

Gotta be the ugliest comment so far this year.

Well done, you're in the lead.

Long way to go though...

Aquired Learning Deficiency Syndrome

Prompting authorities to adjust road safety measures accordingly. This must be the latest way of saying we have done nothing to reduce the senseless deaths and injuries during the holidays. I knew the Ministry's words on this subject were empty when they were printed here. Nobody in Thailand cares about these stats. Deaths and maimed people are so common as to not cause a ripple in the Ministry except for word speak before the annual carnage begins.That's my 7 year story and I am sticking to it until I am hopefully proven wrong by the Ministry....