What book are you reading just now?

NoshowJones

just finished The Maze Runner series and reread Bangkok Rules by Harlan Wolf (not a bad murder mystery at all - give it a go if you like Michael C) I've read all the Reacher series and all of Connelly's too. Big Jeffrey Deaver fan and outside of Alex Cross series it's worth giving The Devil's Teardrop and

Also

John Connolly

Harlan Corben

Dick Francis

But going through a fantasy block at the moment with

Peter Brett

Brent Weeks

Stephen Deas

just finished The Maze Runner series and reread Bangkok Rules by Harlan Wolf (not a bad murder mystery at all - give it a go if you like Michael C) I've read all the Reacher series and all of Connelly's too. Big Jeffrey Deaver fan and outside of Alex Cross series it's worth giving The Devil's Teardrop and

Also

John Connolly

Harlan Corben

Dick Francis

But going through a fantasy block at the moment with

Peter Brett

Brent Weeks

Stephen Deas

I will try and find 'Bangkok Rules'.

I too have read all the Reacher series, as well as Alex Cross. I have read CG Moore's Vincent Calvino series-I really enjoy these. Janet Evanovich for a laugh. Dick Francis are great if you are into horse racing (which I am). Just finished the first Poke Rafferty book, set in Bangkok by Timothy Hallinan-enjoyed that. Also like Tom Clancy.

The Counterfeiters, Andre Gide...a very good read, he wasn't a Nobel laureate fer nuthin'...

a cousin gave me The Immoralist to read when I was a teenager and I found it mildly entertaining...reading Gide again as an adult is an eye opener...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I like a lot of different writers and a lot of different genres, but for pleasure fiction - beach books - my favorites right now are Stephen Hunter and Vince Flynn. Every single novel that I have read by both of them has been really good. They both write largely about the military, special forces, the CIA and that sort of thing and they are both compelling writers.

I also read "The Painted House" by John Grisham recently. Over the years, many people have told me that it is his best book and it has NOTHING to do with lawyers. I really thought that it was good and would classify it as literature.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I too have read all the Reacher series, as well as Alex Cross. I have read CG Moore's Vincent Calvino series-I really enjoy these. Janet Evanovich for a laugh. Dick Francis are great if you are into horse racing (which I am). Just finished the first Poke Rafferty book, set in Bangkok by Timothy Hallinan-enjoyed that. Also like Tom Clancy.

Sorry, but never had any interest in horse racing, or any other type of racing, but I thing the Vincent Calvino could be worth a try.

I like a lot of different writers and a lot of different genres, but for pleasure fiction - beach books - my favorites right now are Stephen Hunter and Vince Flynn. Every single novel that I have read by both of them has been really good. They both write largely about the military, special forces, the CIA and that sort of thing and they are both compelling writers.

My favourite books are crime, and courtroom dramas, both British and American, I once read a Bangkok based book called 'Skytrain to Murder' I didn't do much for me, but I will try one again. Books about the military and espionage don't do much for me.

The Counterfeiters, Andre Gide...a very good read, he wasn't a Nobel laureate fer nuthin'...

a cousin gave me The Immoralist to read when I was a teenager and I found it mildly entertaining...reading Gide again as an adult is an eye opener...

Interesting.

I also read "The Painted House" by John Grisham recently. Over the years, many people have told me that it is his best book and it has NOTHING to do with lawyers. I really thought that it was good and would classify it as literature.

Painted House so far outside my normal reading lists but read it as a friend grew up squarely in that area - I found it a solid read and surprisingly enjoyed it

Painted House so far outside my normal reading lists but read it as a friend grew up squarely in that area - I found it a solid read and surprisingly enjoyed it

Will take note as I like John Grisham.

My only thing apart from internet is reading. As i am confined to my bed (paralysed)

I have a good friend (Irish) who lives near me, visits me every week brings me books. Without him i would be bored to tears.

Brings me Lee Childs (Jack reacher) books David Baldatchi books, Ted Bell books.

vince flynn books are laughably poorly edited

vince flynn books are laughably poorly edited

I will have to take your word for it. Thankfully, that is not something I even notice when engrossed in a good story.

My only thing apart from internet is reading. As i am confined to my bed (paralysed)

I have a good friend (Irish) who lives near me, visits me every week brings me books. Without him i would be bored to tears.

Brings me Lee Childs (Jack reacher) books David Baldatchi books, Ted Bell books.

i know about you Colin, you have cropped up quite a bit on this forum, where do you stay. I'm sorry about your situation and I wish you all the best.

I don't have a single favorite author -- I have a list of favorites, though , some contemporary, some classical.

I like the two women who write about California private detectives, Sue Grafton and Marcia Muller. And no list o f fascinating authors would be complete without mentioning the Kellerman family -- Jonathan, his wife, Faye, and their son, Jesse.

I probably would say my number one favorite, though, would be Eric Ambler -- creator of the modern spy story. But I also like Alan Furst and Lee Child.

Among fore classical writers, I find Joseph Conrad intriguing but he is not always easy to read -- he has a tendency to write over-long sentences (sometimes taking nearly a full page for a single sentence.)

Since I am a US civil was buff , I have read a lot of Bruce Catton and at the moment, I'm reading "Lincoln and His Admirals" by Craig Symonds.

I have a bad habit of starting books and never finishing them because i get distracted by another book or project but at the moment i am half way through Steppenwolf (Herman Hesse) and A Brief History of Time (Hawkings) and the Preface to Nausea by Sartre. I have also downloaded all of Albert Camus's novels and short stories on pdf so when i have time i will re-read those.

I spend a lot of my reading time reading contracts and specifications and other boring as bat-shit stuff at work and that drains my reading enthusiasm somewhat - and also do a lot of short reading on the net from sources such as Wikipedia and other general knowledge or technical sites. Problem is i forget the information soon after i read it . That's the problem of cramming too much information into too smaller brain.

Just finished 3 novels: "Easy Money" ...Jens Lapidus; "The Hit".....David Baldacci and "The Third Bullet"....Stephen Hunter. Enjoyed them all but "Easy Money" was the best though heavy going. I'm thinking of downloading the movie [swedish] even with sub-titles but a 2 and 3/4 hour movie would be a struggle for me.

Currently, I have 2 novels going "The Counterfeit Agent" by Alex Berenson.....thoroughly enjoyable which I will finish as soon as I get off this addictive computer; and "Dead Tomorrow" by Peter James. I enjoy his Detective Grace novels.

• 10 months later...

If you haven't read Richard Price do yourself a favour and download Lush Life, Clockers, Samaritan, The Whites and Ladies Man. The first four very gritty detective novels about the urban jungle and Ladies Man is just plain hilarious.